Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Angry Joe: Skyrim is MAJESTIC! Matt Barton: Skyrim is boring

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
AngryJoe said:
Graphics and gameplay have evolved a long time from turn based combat and 8bit graphics.
What you’ll Hate:
• Its Incredibly Boring throughout the entire game – No real “Epic feeling moments”.
• Awful Interface. Map & quest screens are nearly useless and buried under too many button presses.
• The game is filled with Broken Quests, Glitches, Bugs, and Framerate hitches (every time you kill an enemy). Unforgivable.
• Combat is underwhelming – Block, mash button, Push enemy up against wall, block, mash button. Rinse Repeat.
• Crude graphics and Pathetically Sloppy Textures.

Nice Skyrim review Joe. Oh wait, you're not talking about Skyrim there?
5a5WF.jpg

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
If it hadn't been for the last thread, I'd have called this a far too obvious troll.
Graphics and gameplay have evolved a long time from turn based combat and 8bit graphics.
Would chess "evolve" if the rules were changed to comprise of both participants ducking behind the table and throwing the pieces at each other's heads? Do you have any actual arguments to give other than "ALL GAMES HAVE TURNED INTO ONE HOMOGENOUS BLOB OF WATERED-DOWN ACTION GAMING FUCK YEAH EVOLUTION"? What the fuck are you even "angry" about? We're angry. You're not.

Why do they let people like this make money? They'd make it about fifteen minutes in the film critic industry. "Hey, guys, I know you all like that old Citizen Kane movie because you're nostalgic and stuff, but I think Transformers 3 is a massive improvement in every way poss-" *sound of vault door lowering on hydraulics*

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Admiral jimbob said:
Why do they let people like this make money?

They don't. They make chump change, so they are begging for every bone they can get. That's why they are bent on pleasing their masters, i.e. advertisers, i.e. publishers.

Notorious

Augur
AngryJoe said:
Sheesh guys...

You need to get with the times. This is the 2010s, games are more awesome than ever. Graphics and gameplay have evolved a long time from turn based combat and 8bit graphics.

As a gaming journalist, I might have a bit more insight into these matters, since I play games for a living. Take indie games for example. I love indie games and sometimes they can really push things forward in terms of mechanics or ai (e.g. Facade). But an indie game can never aspire to become a polished modern masterpiece like Skyrim. I think all of them are outdated in one way or the other, be it graphics wise (again, Facade) or even mechanics wise (Nights of the Chalice). This is because they're restricted in budget/time/size, just like the games of old were restricted by the low power of the gaming systems of that time.

When I started out, I too opposed the big gaming companies, thinking that the huge inflated budgets and hype and marketing suits would decline gaming. But then I realized something. Companies like Blizzard or Bioware or Bethesda have liberalized gaming. They took it out of musty basements and turned it into something everyone could enjoy. They have turned boring dice rolls into heated combat, mushy pixels into nightmarish monsters and checkerboards into immersive landscapes. Can you imagine how much greater Braid would be with the budget of Mirrors Edge, or one of Ben Vogel's games done with the team behind Dragon Age 2?

But you people just complain about innovation. You're like a bunch of grumpy old guys, sitting inside and complaining that the 1950s were the pinnacle of human civilization and that free healthcare is communism, when outside the sun is shining and everybody is having an awesome time. ;)

edit: Also, I can't change my avatar. Could any of the mods fix that please?

1. You're comparing open-world RPG's with story driven RPG's which is just :retarded:
(It's like comparing RTS games with turn based or grand strategy games) and you seem to prefer open world RPG's more. (Bias)
2. Skyrim get's incredibly boring due to repetitive content. It has no innovation (Aside from the stupid dragon shouts) at all. You also completely ignored bugs in your score.
3. You gave a game with obvious flaws a perfect score again :retarded:
4. Thus you are just like every other journalist out there which get's blended by an "amazing" world with stupid quests and a dumb story-line and say it's better than pretty much anything that the gaming world has seen.

Edwin

Scholar
I like it how every1 complains about the loading time.Finally consoletards get what they deserve.It is instant for me(anytime,anywhere) usually like a half second(but never longer than a second).Seriously this game has the shortest loading time Ive ever seen.

Black

Arcane
Shit guys, maybe Joe is on to something?
http://bestof.whatifgaming.com/2011/?page=31

Best adventure game
Best inspiration
Best production
Best dialogue
Best RPG title
Best environment
Best storytelling
Best game concept
Most innovative design
Best idea
Best developer :thumbsup:
And finally, GOTY

Surely these gaming journalists know video games better than us, just like Joe.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to lay down.

abija

Prophet
I like it how every1 complains about the loading time.Finally consoletards get what they deserve.It is instant for me(anytime,anywhere) usually like a half second(but never longer than a second).Seriously this game has the shortest loading time Ive ever seen.
Good thing they put hints in loading screen and you get to see 1 out of 20 or so...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
There are already threads about this Angry Joe person, and far too many Skyrim ones already. The fact that Angry Joe, gaming journalist extraordinaire, may or may not have posted in this thread, does not validate it one iota.
Moving to general gaming. Mods there may choose to retardo or /gd this shit.

GreyViper

Prophet
But but I like his videos, well most of them, I guess that makes me a fan of sort. :P And how else would I know to avoid Sonic Free Riders or Mindjack. :smug: Still I asume he reviews Xbox versions of the game thus why he might not have encountered the some of the problems that are on other platforms.

Sheesh guys...

You need to get with the times. This is the 2010s, games are more awesome than ever. Graphics and gameplay have evolved a long time from turn based combat and 8bit graphics.
I think most of us have moved on with time, kind of hard not to with current state of things. But as a gamer you should know graphics are not always everything. There are lot of good games that managed to be great with minimum graphics. If you need exampels RPG Codex Top 10 are good indicators or take King of Dragon Pass for example.

As a gaming journalist, I might have a bit more insight into these matters, since I play games for a living. Take indie games for example. I love indie games and sometimes they can really push things forward in terms of mechanics or ai (e.g. Facade). But an indie game can never aspire to become a polished modern masterpiece like Skyrim. I think all of them are outdated in one way or the other, be it graphics wise (again, Facade) or even mechanics wise (Nights of the Chalice). This is because they're restricted in budget/time/size, just like the games of old were restricted by the low power of the gaming systems of that time.
I dont know if thats how other people see you, me I see you as entertainer first journalist second. I have to disagree with the statment "them being outdated" since so relative, since you either keep returning to it or you dont.

When I started out, I too opposed the big gaming companies, thinking that the huge inflated budgets and hype and marketing suits would decline gaming. But then I realized something. Companies like Blizzard or Bioware or Bethesda have liberalized gaming. They took it out of musty basements and turned it into something everyone could enjoy. They have turned boring dice rolls into heated combat, mushy pixels into nightmarish monsters and checkerboards into immersive landscapes. Can you imagine how much greater Braid would be with the budget of Mirrors Edge, or one of Ben Vogel's games done with the team behind Dragon Age 2?
*sigh* In the end all that matters to them is making money. And currently the most profitable business thing to do is spew out medicore sequals, latest Final Fantasy Series for example.

But you people just complain about innovation. You're like a bunch of grumpy old guys, sitting inside and complaining that the 1950s were the pinnacle of human civilization and that free healthcare is communism, when outside the sun is shining and everybody is having an awesome time.
I guess your lucky you didnt happen upon Andrihaira in General Discussion while he was having another on of his personality disorders. :lol: The problem being lack of innovation, that companies are trying to sell as innovation.:?

Anway Im curious when will you do Dark Souls Full review?
So keep up the good work on videos. :bro:

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here

Oh God what done

Sheesh guys...

Yeah guys, I mean, C'MON.

You need to get with the times. This is the 2010s, games are more awesome than ever.

Oh that settles the argument then. Thanks for that.

Yes, I can definitely see where your journalist credentials come from. Who here is arguing that Skyrim be turn-based or have worse graphics? And do tell me how gameplay has evolved. What are the huge leaps in gameplay from Daggerfall to Skyrim?

As a gaming journalist,

Why is it that you guys are called journalists anyway? You don't hear of movie journalists or book journalists.

I might have a bit more insight into these matters, since I play games for a living.

You might? Well, you might not. I'd wager on the latter.

Take indie games for example. I love indie games and sometimes they can really push things forward in terms of mechanics or ai (e.g. Facade). But an indie game can never aspire to become a polished modern masterpiece like Skyrim. I think all of them are outdated in one way or the other, be it graphics wise (again, Facade) or even mechanics wise (Nights of the Chalice). This is because they're restricted in budget/time/size, just like the games of old were restricted by the low power of the gaming systems of that time.

Take indie games as an example of what?

So Skyrim is not outdated in any way? You just pointed several indies that excel at certain areas, what areas does Skyrim excel at? Is it graphics? Is it AI? Does it have some brilliantly honed mechanics? No. What Bethesda does is content, and lots of it, but many here feel that content is supbar.

just like the games of old were restricted by the low power of the gaming systems of that time.

This is a common excuse for dumbing down, somehow magically knowing that the original developers intended to make an exact opposite of the game they actually made. How were old games restricted, and how have they been liberated with the power of new technology? And you better not say that "Fallout was supposed to be real-time but the technology at the time prevented it. Also Civilization. And Jagged Alliance. And HoMM."

When I started out, I too opposed the big gaming companies, thinking that the huge inflated budgets and hype and marketing suits would decline gaming. But then I realized something. Companies like Blizzard or Bioware or Bethesda have liberalized gaming. They took it out of musty basements and turned it into something everyone could enjoy. They have turned boring dice rolls into heated combat, mushy pixels into nightmarish monsters and checkerboards into immersive landscapes.

Yeah, that's great and all, but how does this relate to Skyrim being a good game or not?

Can you imagine how much greater Braid would be with the budget of Mirrors Edge, or one of Ben Vogel's games done with the team behind Dragon Age 2?

I'm sorry, what's your point? If a game had a bigger budget it would be a better game? Is that it? Is that what you're trying to pass off as an argument for Skyrim being a good game?

But you people just complain about innovation.

Where do we do that, exactly? What innovation do we complain about? The innovation in Skyrim? Could you please point out that innovation so we could have a closer look.

Ermm

Erudite
Sorry for the bit of a bump, but I can't stop laughing at this clearly visible alt, and how everyone jumped on bait.

Ermm

Erudite
Ekhmmmm

Hmm, Mike was right, you guys are really a tough bunch. Razz And no, this is not a troll, I´ll mention the Codex in one of my upcoming videos to prove it. Wink

Ok, was this ever proved?

Multi-headed Cow

Rasputin said:
Ekhmmmm

Hmm, Mike was right, you guys are really a tough bunch. Razz And no, this is not a troll, I´ll mention the Codex in one of my upcoming videos to prove it. Wink

I don't think anyone gave enough of a shit to watch his movies to see.

Ermm

Erudite
Multi-headed Cow said:
Rasputin said:
Ekhmmmm

I don't think anyone gave enough of a shit to watch his movies to see.

Yes, but his listed occupation on his profile is ''internet celebrity'', so that already is too dubious. Game Journalist would be given by the real Joe.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Why did people in the previous thread refer to Joe with racist slurs?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Joe you are a fool.

NO you are not a Gaming Journalist you are a guy that makes videos on the internet. You are one of the new age "Try hard's" who are sucking that fat hype cock for all it is worth instead of doing real "JOURNALISM".

Going to trade shows and getting stock Interviews dose not make you a "JOURNALIST".
Oh and Gaming has not EVOLVED it only got more colorful so dumb people would not notice that they removed the challenge from most of them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Rasputin said:
Good luck trying to tell all of that to an alt.
He is not an alt. He came here a year ago promoting their new website, and it is the same account.

Morkar Left

J_C said:
Rasputin said:
Good luck trying to tell all of that to an alt.
He is not an alt. He came here a year ago promoting their new website, and it is the same account.

And now we know who created this alt ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom