Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't suppose many people will be ecstatic either though.
Well, I'm fine "just" being entertained and maybe somewhat challenged (Anno games for me were usually more about being relaxing, less about hardcore management). Ecstasy is optional for games like this ;)

J1M

Arcane
The closed beta felt like a giant dollop of fanservice and nostalgia sprinkled with a few minor innovations. When fans told them to go back to the roots after 2205 they did exactly that...and little else. It played well, like a "Best of" collection of favourite elements from the last 3 games, nobody will be offended. I don't suppose many people will be ecstatic either though.
Did anyone actually like the fluff obscuring the core gameplay? That sounds like a great game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The closed beta felt like a giant dollop of fanservice and nostalgia sprinkled with a few minor innovations. When fans told them to go back to the roots after 2205 they did exactly that...and little else. It played well, like a "Best of" collection of favourite elements from the last 3 games, nobody will be offended. I don't suppose many people will be ecstatic either though.
Did anyone actually like the fluff obscuring the core gameplay? That sounds like a great game.
Point is both 1404 and 2070, which 1800 draws heavily from, are still eminently playable. You don't need the same game again. Honestly I have more fondness for trying something new and go wrong like 2205 than drab derivatives like 1800.

Then again I haven't seen everything the game has, for all I know the closed beta was just a snippet. So don't take me too seriously for now.

J1M

Arcane
Sounds like you are quite happy with the modern game industry then. :lol:

I would rather my genres remain distinct and grounded. Weird new ideas should be explored in new games, not by subverting an established franchise.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Never played any of these Anno games but just bought 1404 including expansions on steam sale for 3 dollar, hopefully Iit's good enough to waste some time on during Christmas...

What mode is the best? Should I just go into this continuous game thing?

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Never played any of these Anno games but just bought 1404 including expansions on steam sale for 3 dollar, hopefully Iit's good enough to waste some time on during Christmas...

What mode is the best? Should I just go into this continuous game thing?
Start with the campaign. It's a natural way to learn the game and have your mistakes cleared away once you learn a better layout. After that have a look at the challenges. They are more interesting than just a random map.

Also, in case anyone else wants to take advantage of that great deal, you may not be able to find "Anno 1404" on Steam because it was also released as "Dawn of Discovery" due to Ubisoft America not understanding that Anno was a word.

Last edited:
Anno 1800 releases April 16th

Today we have an important update for all our Anno Union members: The release date of Anno 1800 will now be April 16, 2019.

This wasn’t an easy decision for us because we know how much you are looking forward to the release, and we ourselves can’t wait to have you all experience the full game. Since the announcement of the game at Gamescom 2017, we have always been committed to deliver the best Anno experience possible at launch.

We are very happy with where the game and its wide mix of new and classic features are today, but we know that it can be even better with a little additional polish and tuning. These extra weeks will allow us to deliver a game that fully lives up to its potential.

Of course, you don’t have to just take our word for it! Starting next week on January 31st, our Closed Beta test will allow many of you to get your hands on the game to see for yourself how we are bringing the world of the industrial revolution to Anno. On that note, we are also happy to confirm that the Closed Beta won’t have any NDA- so feel free to discuss, create videos or to stream the game to your heart’s content.

In the coming weeks to launch, you can look forward to more news and details regarding Anno 1800 right here on the Union, as we discuss an all-new feature, give you more details on the multiplayer, lift the curtain on Anno 1800’s campaign and preview the game’s orchestral soundtrack. You should also keep an eye out for previews from a variety of websites who recently got their hands on the game.

Finally, we wanted to let you know that the Anno 1800 journey won’t end at launch. We will share more details closer to April 16th but can assure that we have some cool ideas for future post-launch content for the game.

We are humbled by your excitement and passion for the game, and hope you support our decision to take a little more time to make it as polished as it can be.

Best regards,
The Anno 1800 Dev Team

https://www.anno-union.com/en/anno-1800-release-date/

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, that newspaper and propaganda feature looks pretty cool.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, played around a bit in the closed beta. Good news first, it is a true Anno game. No 2205 bullshit, no forced multiplayer, no apparent In-Game shop. But I have to agree with cvv, it is very derivative. The new features like newspapers, productivity assignment or planning mode are nothing really to write home about, plus I'm not a big fan of the setting. So far I see no reason to spend 60 bucks on this instead of just sticking with 2070/1404.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Most German previews mention that it's a back-to-the-roots Anno.

plus I'm not a big fan of the setting.

What do you don't like about the setting? Myself, I never played a futuristic Anno, but you seem to like 2070, so I assume that it's not the "modernity" which you don't like, even though I think the earlier Anno likely have a bigger escapism factor and "serenity" with their romanticized Middle Ages to Baroque settings than the 19th century.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think the setting seems cool but man is Anno stuck in a local maxima of gameplay. And it's not really a high enough one that it can support more than a few games.

It's all just reskins of essentially identical mechanics and primitive supply chains. Which is a shame.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think the setting seems cool but man is Anno stuck in a local maxima of gameplay. And it's not really a high enough one that it can support more than a few games.

It's all just reskins of essentially identical mechanics and primitive supply chains. Which is a shame.

I see nothing has changed since the closed beta. Shame indeed.

The closed beta felt like a giant dollop of fanservice and nostalgia sprinkled with a few minor innovations. When fans told them to go back to the roots after 2205 BlueByte did exactly that...and little else. It played well, like a "Best of" collection of favourite elements from the last 3 games, nobody will be offended. I don't suppose many people will be ecstatic either though.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most German previews mention that it's a back-to-the-roots Anno.

plus I'm not a big fan of the setting.

What do you don't like about the setting? Myself, I never played a futuristic Anno, but you seem to like 2070, so I assume that it's not the "modernity" which you don't like, even though I think the earlier Anno likely have a bigger escapism factor and "serenity" with their romanticized Middle Ages to Baroque settings than the 19th century.
I just don't particularly care for the industrial revolution setting in general, and imo it's a poor fit to the anno series in particular. I associate a certain grittiness with it, think Oliver Twist, exploitation of workforce, the two sides of the technolocigal advance medal... stuff that just doesn't go along well with building your little utopia at a relaxed pace.
In a 19th century Anno, I would have preferred some Scramble for Africa setting or some East India Company colonial charme with big game hunters and company clercs as demographics... Do you befriend the locals and trade with them? Or do you enslave them to produce faster and cheaper but risk a riot?
Would have probably been more iooked more interesting to look at than the generic middle european islands and buildings that A1800 has, too.
Also, re: 2070, the treehugger faction was borderline kitsch, but they actually conveyed that serenity you talk about pretty well. With all those 'omg this is so beautiful' comments your villagers made, you really felt like you were creating a little utopia. The other faction you could play was pretty bland tho.

Aemar

Arcane
60 euros for a piece of rehashed software that is outrageously similar to every other game in the series is downright highway robbery. An extremely limited concept for a series that hasn't delivered anything really new since forever.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
60 euros for a rehashed piece of software that is outrageously similar to every other game in the series is downright highway robbery. An extremely limited concept for a series that hasn't delivered anything really new since forever.
You are wrong.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
60 euros for a piece of rehashed software that is outrageously similar to every other game in the series is downright highway robbery. An extremely limited concept for a series that hasn't delivered anything really new since forever.

I never bought the futuristic Annos, so I don't really have a problem with more of the same with slightly alterations 10 years after 1404's release.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Meh,it is for people that want exactly that. Still i would like a little more challenge and more of a global campaign,but all their games are good. When you change the formula too much,you end up with dead franchise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's happened again!

Notice: Sales of Anno 1800 will be discontinued on Steam after April 16th due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The publisher has assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale after the April 16th release date.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pulling shit from Steam again? Haven't they said "we'll never go this ever again" or some such? Idiots.

I like how they're just openly continuing to sell it until the release date to juice up pre-orders from players desperate to have the game on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom