Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The "regional pricing" EU is objecting to has nothing to do with Witcher 3 costing 18 AUD/12 USD/8 GBP. Which is more or less the same price in different currencies, which you would know if you bothered to run it through a converter.
True, and nobody ever doubted that, so what's your point here?

The regional pricing policy this whole thing is a much more narrow issue. It means Valve offering dramatically lower prices (-50% or more) for shithole regions like Easter Yuro, Asia and probably other shithole places too. Those games naturally have to be geo-locked otherwise nothing would prevent Kwanzanians buying new games for a couple of Russian roubles.
What US citizens can or cannot do with games bought in Russia is of abolutely no concern to the EU (at least when it comes to jurisdiction).
This discussion is about inner-EU region locking, and only about that. You can move your goalposts as far as you like, it won't change that.
The entire EU is based on the principles of free movement of people, goods and services, and region locking inside of the EU is simply against that principle, which is what made the EU take steps. It would only be legal if it was to accomodate for local laws (such as content specific to Germany, no nazis etc.).

Also, in contrast to you, I actually checked my numbers, and I could very well get some nicely cheap (-50% or more, as you said) prices for games from Poland and some other EU countries. And those games are not region locked to me at all.
The myth of the masses of people suddenly buying dem cheap games from Steam via some other country is just that, a myth.
The biggest problem were those Russian Steam gifts, but that was already stopped around 2014 by Valve.

Anyway, don't delete your bombastically ignorant posts, it's a p. funny drama.
Since I'm the only one bringing any arguments not based on fiction as well as backing them up, it's definitely not me being the ignorant one here.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone here trying the beta?

I really hope this was a bug, or maybe the beta is unfinished or something, but when I got attacked at my port by a huge fleet, I got of course decimated, but what happened afterwards was just... wtf. Everything that I built on the island just disappeared, like it was sucked into a wormhole or something. I know they have removed land armies, and I really hope this isn't what is supposed to replace that, because if this is part of the new war mechanic, it's the laziest most anti-climatic stuff ever.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Game looks gorgeous, I wonder if they are going to use this engine for the new Settlers as well. The characters look much better than Civ 6's prosperian-disney caricatures. Music is also fantastic from the very moment you start the game.
However, from the few hours I put in so far the game seems to be incredibly simplistic in terms of everything related to actual city building and management.
Also, why are we still stuck on a fucking square grid, one step forward, two steps back.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anno isn't really a city builder, it's primarily an economy/trading game. It's basically Settlers on a bigger scale.

And it's not casual/relaxing either. One, you can set your own difficulty, and two, there are some p. brutal pre-built scenarios. Power Games from 2070 still give me nightmares.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I'm not an avid player of this genre. Tried the beta for a whole day, restarted a few times because I finally figured out how to efficiently... place stuffs. And oh gawd I must stop building shit that I clearly can't maintain upkeep for.
I'm utterly trash in this game and I love it, that's all I have to say :love:

Gerrard

Arcane
"You've been playing for 8 hours. You know you can turn this off, right?"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I'm not an avid player of this genre. Tried the beta for a whole day, restarted a few times because I finally figured out how to efficiently... place stuffs. And oh gawd I must stop building shit that I clearly can't maintain upkeep for.
I'm utterly trash in this game and I love it, that's all I have to say :love:

I recommend waiting till Wednesday. Anno games usually contain co called "campaign", which is basically a really long tutorial that teaches you all you need to know to take on serious maps and scenarios. It's an easy, pleasant and entertaining intro into the game but I don't suppose the full campaign is in the beta, at least it wasn't in the private alpha I got to play.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
The campaign isn't, but way more (all of it?) is available in freeplay (including the New World and expeditions). The campaign ends before you even finish the second tier of workers.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Anno were always casual, relaxing games, not super deep city builders.
Earlier ones had quite harsh difficulty.

Nowadays money are more important to make system that harshly punishes you for mistakes, and that forces you to do demands, or face military intervention. Starting on easy, and when you know what you are doing do normal difficulty would be too harsh to people with moneys.

Gerrard

Arcane
Game gets really hectic later, between managing your ships, multiple towns on multiple islands, and all that on 2 separate maps, makes me wish there was a 0,5 speed, or that you'd be able to give orders while the game is paused.
I feel like they made a lot of push towards competitive multiplayer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Game gets really hectic later, between managing your ships, multiple towns on multiple islands, and all that on 2 separate maps, makes me wish there was a 0,5 speed, or that you'd be able to give orders while the game is paused.
Same as other anno games then. Did you forget the one where you have moon and artic colonies?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What. Unless there's some new mechanics Annos are rarely hectic, unless you play a ultra-hard scenario like Power Games, now that shit is HECTIC. Otherwise separate islands/colonies run on their own once you stabilize them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What. Unless there's some new mechanics Annos are rarely hectic, unless you play a ultra-hard scenario like Power Games, now that shit is HECTIC. Otherwise separate islands/colonies run on their own once you stabilize them.
Later on you could say it is hectic,you have to make a lot of ship routes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't understand why developers are screwing up themselves by not allowing to issue commands during pause. Setting trade routes is one thing, but properly draw and design cities is another. And one farm can take 3 minutes before its placement is perfect.

Gerrard

Arcane
Once you stabilize them. Which is when? Getting a new town from 0 to the point you want it, which might be far along the upgrade chain, is constant busywork thanks to the shitty housing system that makes no sense (farmers live in low density houses while higher education artisans live like sardines in a can). Also you can't build higher tier housing directly, only by upgrading the lower tier, and when you upgrade the lower tier those workers are converted into the higher tier ones, so you need to build more low tier housing to make up for the loss.
It's like "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy" except with people.

You're busy plopping down some banana fields and suddenly "Your ship is under attack" back on the other map. There's also keeping track of shit like items you can buy (some of them have ridiculous effects like completely removing the maintenance costs from buildings in radius) which change with time, quests, what your rivals are doing... there is a lot of going on.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Once you stabilize them. Which is when? Getting a new town from 0 to the point you want it, which might be far along the upgrade chain, is constant busywork thanks to the shitty housing system that makes no sense (farmers live in low density houses while higher education artisans live like sardines in a can). Also you can't build higher tier housing directly, only by upgrading the lower tier, and when you upgrade the lower tier those workers are converted into the higher tier ones, so you need to build more low tier housing to make up for the loss.
It's like "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy" except with people.

I've been stabilizing colonies in Anno games for about 10 years now. I assure you it's very doable. You just gotta git gud.

Gerrard

Arcane
Same as other anno games then. Did you forget the one where you have moon and artic colonies?
I did not play any of the futuristic ones. And it's been many years since I played any of them.

Also why is Robert Downey Jr playing a black guy again?
QQK4XJF.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/anno-1800-review/

ANNO 1800 REVIEW
A compelling, if somewhat idiosyncratic city-builder.

Anno 1800 belongs to a select group of games that I like to refer to as “Blink and it’s 2 AM” games. For example, you might sit down in an evening with the plan of setting up your first steel mill. Then you blink and it’s 2 AM and you’ve somehow founded a colony in the New World. Alternatively, perhaps you set the goal of reaching the next population milestone to unlock a new building. Then you do that, and the building you unlock is a zoo for which you can build individual enclosures to fill with several dozen type of animals.

Blink.

This is comfortably the most engrossing city-builder I’ve played since Cities: Skylines, one that combines an intriguing theme with some enjoyably complex production chains and trading mechanics. It also has a wealth of buildings to construct and resources to produce, letting you construct some truly enormous urban sprawls.

Anno 1800 puts you in the hobnailed boots of an up-and-coming business magnate in the burning heart of the industrial revolution. There are three ways to play, Campaign, Sandbox, and Multiplayer. Structurally, they’re all basically the same—the campaign is itself a gigantic sandbox that happens to feature a chain of missions to follow.

Whichever way you choose to play, you start out in charge of a Western-European island with nothing but a trading post to your name. Your first goal is to build a simple farming village, which acts as the foundation for your city. From here, your objective is to grow a bustling metropolis that will stretch its tendrils to the horizon and beyond.

In its early stages, Anno 1800 is a straight-up city-builder. Progress is Anno is predicated upon two things—population growth and meeting the needs and wants of your citizens.. Each “class” of person has a different set of requirements that you need to meet. Farmers, for example, simply require clothes and fish to subsist. But to make them happy, you need to ply them with alcohol. You’ll need acres of potato fields that can be distilled into schnapps, while also ensuring all farmsteads are within staggering distance of a pub.

The better you meet those needs, the more people will fill the houses of your village. Once a farmhouse reaches its maximum population, it can then be upgraded to house the next class of citizen—workers. This unlocks the next evolutionary stage of your settlement, letting you construct more advanced buildings like brickworks and breweries. However, workers are considerably more particular in their needs and wants, going so far as to demand soap, the fops.

At the same time, your production lines become increasingly convoluted. Creating wood to build farmhouses, for example, requires a lumberjack’s yard, a sawmill, and a warehouse to store the goods. Creating steel beams, on the other hand, requires both an iron-mine and a coalmine for the raw materials, a smelting plant to create steel ingots, and finally a steelworks to forge the beams. Larger factories also require dozens, even hundreds of workers to function, so you need the supporting infrastructure in place to keep them fed, watered, and clean.

This is where Anno 1800’s “Blink and it’s “2AM” qualities start to reveal themselves. Once you unlock the third tier of “citizen”, Artisans, you’ll need an infrastructure capable of supporting the production of sewing machines, fur coats, and rum. The latter of these, of course, requires raw materials that don’t grow in a European climate. So to acquire these, you need to build ships and send them to explore the New World.

The New World is represented on an entirely different map, and has unique citizen types, production chains, and resources. This effectively means a game of Anno 1800 plays out on two unique RTS maps at once, which has all sorts of tactical considerations if you’re playing in multiplayer. You could be the King of Steel in the Old World, only to find your economy collapsing because someone in the New World stole an island that produces all your cotton.

Either way, you’ll need to set up trade routes to get these exotic goods to your increasingly needy (and populous) citizenry. It’s worth noting at this point that both sides of Anno’s city-construction are wonderful to watch in motion. The game has a slightly painterly aesthetic that complements the detail of its models and animations beautifully. Your fields of wheat and sugarcane are abuzz with workers, while carriages pulled by horses transport resources to the next stage of production.

These details evolve with your city, too. Clothing fashions change as your city becomes more advanced, while your horse-drawn carriages will increasingly give way to railroads and even bicycles. Such intimate detail does mean Anno 1800 is quite performance heavy. Viewing larger cities from certain angles will likely cause a significant dip in frame-rate on low-to-medium spec machines.

As your production chains expand and the desires of your people grow, the strategic side of Anno 1800 begins to show its teeth. At one point I discovered my starting island couldn’t produce beer, as the soil wasn’t fertile for growing hops. My people quietly informed me of this by staging a massive riot that obliterated my production and almost cost me my game. Needless to say, I promptly colonised a nearby island and set up a second settlement dedicated almost entirely to the production of beer, then organised a trade route to ferry this vitally important resource to the mainland.

The way all Anno’s systems interlock is impressive. If you’re struggling to create a resource yourself, then you can purchase it via your trading post. Yet doing this puts you at the behest of other players (or the AI if you’re playing singleplayer). At the same time, you can sell surplus produce from your settlements for profit. But even a burgeoning economy isn’t a guarantee of success. You still need to be able to either create or acquire the right resources to push your city deeper into the technological age.

In its later stages, Anno becomes a blend of industrial-scale plate-spinning with some broad-strokes RTS thrown in. As competition for resources becomes fiercer, you may need to wrest control of islands from your opponents. This can be done either through military force, deploying fleets of gunboats and frigates to lay siege to their ports. Or you can purchase shares in the island you desire, ultimately taking control in one fell financial swoop.

For the most part, I think Anno’s core systems are elegantly balanced. At times it can make you feel stretched, especially if multiple random events like fires happen at once. Even when had to pause a new project to upgrade a bunch of houses or relocate a low-level farm, however, I never felt bogged down in micromanagement.

That said, I do want to highlight one curious idiosyncrasy. Given the game’s core theme of a shift from an agrarian to an urbanised society, it’s surprising that employment is not more of a consideration. In fact, Anno 1800’s attitude to employment is the polar opposite of the period it is based on. Each household earns a set income regardless of whether the people who live there are have a job in the city or not. This effectively encourages you to have a large surplus of unemployed citizens, as each new house you build brings in that much more coin. As long as you can meet their needs, it’s perfectly fine to have hundreds of people sitting around doing nothing.

I’m not sure whether this counts as a flaw per-se, as there’s more than enough complexity to grapple with ensuring all your different citizens are sufficiently catered for. It’s just odd given how the game is otherwise very conscious of the changing times it represents. A harder problem is that Anno 1800 doesn’t provide enough tools to track your in-game finances. Your income and expenses are constantly fluctuating, and those ever-shifting numbers can make it hard to gauge how well your colony is actually doing. Normally I’d sooner eat my own keyboard than look at a graph in a video-game, but I think Anno 1800 would benefit from a bell-curve or two.

By far Anno 1800s biggest issue, however, is the appalling and incessant yammering of its AI players. Anno 1800s story campaign features a cast of characters that are fully written and voiced. I really wish it didn’t. The acting is hammier than a Doctor Who Christmas special, particularly that of your in-game nemesis Edvard Goode, who would twirl his moustache right off his face if he actually sported one.

Worse yet is the writing of the AI barks, which are often totally inane and uttered every time they interact with you, whether it’s an automated trade or simply a slight decline in diplomatic relations. One AI character declares “I can finally get rid of that pent-up gas!” literally every five minutes. This may seem like a minor problem, but it’s incredibly distracting from what is otherwise a gentle yet utterly absorbing game, like an episode of Better Call Saul being interrupted by the appearance of Keith Lemon.

Script carbuncles aside, Anno 1800 is a rich and sumptuous city-builder, easily the grandest and deepest Anno to date. Its early game is a wonderfully relaxing experience, while the later stages will have you scratching your mutton-chops and happily stretching your braces in equal measure.

THE VERDICT

ANNO 1800

Despite an annoying story mode, Anno 1800 is the biggest and best entry in the series to date.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
After the open beta trailer, I expected some articles critical of the colonialist mindset inherent to the game.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Lack of clarity is one of Anno 1800’s bugbears. I’ve set up trade routes that never delivered the desired resources – possibly due to assigning one ship to several routes, which I was never notified about. I’ve also witnessed with my own eyes, ladies and gentlemen, carts delivering sausages and beer to warehouses that never make it into the stockpile. Is there just an endless Oktoberfest going on in there and I’m not invited?
Wow honest review. 7/10 is about right considering they used old stuff and just improved on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom