Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I made this thread but haven't played the game yet. But he thread didn't really move forward since release. Are the rumors true, that this game is rather mediocre and boring? What's the Kodex Konsensus?
It is mediocre enough to not be cracked. It is just another anno game,the same as tropico franchise. The anno series picked at 1404 and that is it. I watched a bit and it looks boring with a little bit of sjw for flavour. Better to replay some older game than waste your time on this.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I made this thread but haven't played the game yet. But he thread didn't really move forward since release. Are the rumors true, that this game is rather mediocre and boring? What's the Kodex Konsensus?
I played the free access demo thing they did, and I thought it was a slight improvement over the Venice game. I liked it, and I wish it was cracked so I could play it, because I sure as fuck am not buying it on Chinese Steam or Ubisoft Steam. I want it on Gabe Steam or I want it free.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I made this thread but haven't played the game yet. But the thread didn't really move forward since release. Are the rumors true, that this game is rather mediocre and boring? What's the Kodex Konsensus?

After the release I saw gazillion of normie newbies on reddit and elsewhere gushing about it, mostly because it's very pretty. The occasional negative comments from the IP veterans were drowned in tons of inane praise of stupid cosmetic shit.

As for gameplay, depends on what you like on Anno games. If you mostly play sandbox it'll be a solid experience for you. I almost never play sandbox in Anno games, I just don't think they have sufficient depth and freedom to be properly enjoyed as a sandbox, at least compared to proper sandbox games like Cities XL or Skylines.

For me the real strength was always in goal-driven scenarios ála those in 1404 and 2070. This is where the game shines. Unfortunately BlueByte scrapped those in 2205 and didn't bring them back in 1800 either. Therefore the game is mostly dead for me.

But again, if you mostly enjoy sandbox in Annos you will probably find a few dozen hours of enjoyment in this. Mechanically it's very solid, safe installment.

P.S. As for the two DLCs that came out so far, the first one is p. standard, a new map and a handful of new (mostly low-impact) features. The second one borders on a rip off, just a stupid new building and a bunch of cosmetic shit.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
As for gameplay, depends on what you like on Anno games. If you mostly play sandbox it'll be a solid experience for you. I almost never play sandbox in Anno games, I just don't think they have sufficient depth and freedom to be properly enjoyed as a sandbox, at least compared to proper sandbox games like Cities XL or Skylines.

I prefer the sandbox game, even though I liked the characters in 1404. But I fear that the game is too complex (dozens of goods) and too shallow (use the same efficient layout on every island) at the same time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I prefer the sandbox game, even though I liked the characters in 1404. But I fear that the game is too complex (dozens of goods) and too shallow (use the same efficient layout on every island) at the same time.
As I said, for me personally all the Anno games are too shallow for sandbox. But if you liked sandbox in 1404 and 2070 this is p. much the same level of complexity and depth.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As a newcomer to the series (and the genre as a whole) I had a great time with it, great theme, atmosphere, presentation, decent music, figuring out how to make my city not look like a wacky bumbling mess while trying to keep up with the production chains' maximum proficency is dauntingly fascinating. My only problem is pause button doesn't let me move around and control stuffs which was a small nuisance since I was still figuring out the mechanics in this game.

Olinser

Savant
I had planned to get it, but I wasn't going to preorder it. Then the greedy fucks took it off Steam after they'd already taken Steam preorders.

I categorically refuse to use the Epic launcher, and Uplay is even worse. That shit is basically spyware.

Played a bit of it on a friend's comp. It's better than Anno IN SPACE but worse than 1404.

Have it on the list in case it ever comes back to Steam and I can get it on a discount, but it's certainly not nearly a good enough game for me to break my embargo of Epic.

Last edited:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
anno 2070 was the last good anno, and even him had a bit of decline with the removal of certain features. :/
Besides cool graphics and interesting era, only other thing i found nice about 1800 was the return of the old farm building system and the fact u could move buildings around.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
From someone who started playing the Anno series since the first Anno 1602.

I would say that this iteration is okay, not groundbreaking or a return to 1404. The setting is okay, mechanics are decent and I enjoyed the campaign compared to the previous Anno game.

My verdict buy it on sale if you are still sitting on the fence. If this is your first time into the series I suggest you start with Anno 1404.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The arctic themed DLC "The Passage" and the game update with coop and enhanced statistics will be released Dez 10th.

They will start nickle-and-diming with a Christmas Market themed mini DLC, which isn't part of the Season Pass.

They plan to continue the development / adding content in 2020.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is there any reshade mod? The desaturated look is annoying me more and more - the painted loading screens are much more colorful.

Monocause

Arcane
People keep shitting at Anno 2205 - I've gotta say that I kinda like it. It's very different - and objectively worse - than most Anno games. At the same time it's suprisingly fucking relaxing, and I really enjoy dipping into it for an hour or two after work every few years.

Gerrard

Arcane
People were digging in the files and found mentions of Africa, so that will most likely be another region if they get around to making it.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I started playing the campaign, and just finished the expedition when you establish a colony in the New World.
However, I discovered that while you are in the New World, your settlement in the Old World still goes on in real time.
Do you have to constantly switch between maps and handle the two worlds simultaneously? This is disturbing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh?
Anno games have never been especially fast paced, there's plenty of time to jump between islands / continents.

But I agree that there can be stressful situations when lots of shit is hitting the fan at once.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If everything is set up, you don't have to do anything manually anyway - unless a scripted story event hits.

Anyway Anno 1800 doesn't grip me at all, maybe it's the setting or I'm too old and cynical. It's a mix of boring and busy work (click on the wild dogs, ...).

gunman

Arcane
Developer
If you have the DLCs, once you open up the new worlds, it looks like there are three or four worlds that you must manage at the same time. I just opened the world with the sunken treasure, and I just put it on ignore until I settle the business in the New+Old World. I just keep getting messages that AI is colonizing the islands there, so it looks like when I will turn attention to it, my starting island will be the only one available in that world.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So two horse armor DLCs and one legit expansion. Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom