Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Announcing Project GoldScript

Rohan

Educated
Hey all,

I've steadily been updating the engine over the past few weeks. I've added editable lighting for all levels you can see a video of it here

https://youtu.be/3pQNrOW0o7E

You can also read the full write up here

http://www.projectgoldscript.com/development/editable-lighting-react-dat-gui/

I've added a tonne of features really, more than I have time to write about. I'm trying to do a post every month, it takes time though.

I've completed my map tiles export / import pipeline as well which means I can export levels directly from my engine, texture them in blender, then get them back into the engine easily. That'll be the subject of my next post.

Right now I'm working a new tool, the Encounter Designer. This will allow me to add teams to a map and also set units into these teams. This will basically mean I'll have a pretty full featured combat map and encounter creation toolset.

After that I'll be getting back into some game code a bit so I can start getting some real encounters going.

Last edited:

Rohan

Educated
Heya, long time between updates!

Just wanted to let you know this isn’t dead, I’m still committing code regularly but I’ve just got no time for lengthy updates/blog posts right now.

So far I’ve done a bunch of things since the last post

* Encounter Designer is complete
* AI System is fully refactored and internally is modelled in a way similar to the Gambit System in FFXII
* Pausing is now possible if a game state allows it
* Area of effect is now fully working

I’ve got a question though, how do you all feel about casting times? FFT had them, the overall opinion over on the FFT subreddit is that these are a required feature of a tactical turn based RPG. But when I think about it, I can’t remember if any CRPGs really had them? Can you guys think of games that did have them? I’m trying hard to remember if the gold box games or ToEE had them but I just can’t recall.

I’ve got a poll for this as well on Twitter if you have an account and feel strongly about it https://twitter.com/gsengine/status/1049029966610849792?s=21

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The gold box games have casting times for some spells. I don't know if they're mandatory but I really like those.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm for it. You probably don't know it, I mean it's not obvious or anything, but I'm a huge FFT man and I'm down for casting times again.

Ysaye

Arbiter
If you count ports to PC, the Trails games (Trails of the Sky, Trails Zero, Trails of Cold Steel) have casting times which need to be managed. I am all for casting times to be quite honest; adds a lot of interest and strategy for a range of things (Targeting - what is the positioning going by the time the spell is cast and how many will it potentially affect, judging when to heal wounds where heavy hitters may attack in between etc.).

Gorn

Novice
You're using Three.js, right? I remember it being a bit of a headeache setting up an event hub and all the separate object instances to handle different parts of the render engine, like a separate object-oriented world inside your React app that you can't pass props into (at least not in a way that would justify using React in the first place since it's a one-way relationship only) or connect a Redux HOC for a centralized and easily testable data store.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm for it. You probably don't know it, I mean it's not obvious or anything, but I'm a huge FFT man and I'm down for casting times again.
As long as they're long enough for ninjas to close the distance.

Rohan

Educated
You're using Three.js, right? I remember it being a bit of a headeache setting up an event hub and all the separate object instances to handle different parts of the render engine, like a separate object-oriented world inside your React app that you can't pass props into (at least not in a way that would justify using React in the first place since it's a one-way relationship only) or connect a Redux HOC for a centralized and easily testable data store.

You can learn a little bit about how I’m using React together with Three by watching the ending bit of a talk I did about it here (sorry for bad quality)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UdfoA7qy9Os&feature=youtu.be

I’m not using Redux, React and Three are kept completely separate in the engine as they do different things. React is only used for UI.

Rohan

Educated
Area of effect!

https://youtu.be/zG4G2UlWq1k

A number of things needed to be done to facilitate this

* Game effects now have a bunch of new AoE related properties on them
* There is a new combat state specifically for targeting
* The cast state now displays the area of effect for the effect being cast upon activation
* You can exit the cast state to go back to targeting if you wish (wasn't possible before)
* The Feedback component has been completely refactored, there are now separate Feedback components for each unit on the map rather than a single component which is shared. This is how I should have done it from the start as it's way more scalable

I'm probably going to do a bit of UI work next, even though I made my first spell in the game, there's no way to cast it because there is no UI for choosing spells to cast, so I'll get onto that next. The time has sort of come for me to make some decisions about how the magic system is going to work... I've got some ideas but they aren't the most popular ones. I'll see how it works out.

Basically... I really REALLY want to do a Vancian magic system in a way. Most people seem to hate them but I really like them. What are everyone’s thoughts?

I found two sources of opinions

Dark Souls Implementation: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dark-souls-fp-vs-spell-use.1213785/

Some general thoughts from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/commen...stems/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most people seem to hate them but I really like them. What are everyone’s thoughts?
I'd love that actually. Along with the first person exploration, I'd be frothing to play that lel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom