Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Age of Pirates 2 thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by ERYFKRAD, Mar 18, 2018.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Extra fact: the series is for some reason also known as Corsairs in russkieland.

^ Top  
  2. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    It's because everyone there pirates the game about pirates :3

• Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Maybe, you can always count on russkies pirating and referencing fallout. Somewhere. Somehow.
    I mean, when I say the PIRATES system is just SPECIAL, I'm not joking, that's exactly how they are written in code. Why Russkies love fallout so much, compared to everyone else, I cannot fathom. Perhaps Grimwulf knows?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    Wait, what? Who doesn't love Fallout?

Show Spoiler
    Haven't played the latest ones, but still

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Yes but why Russians love it most?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    Oh, you know. The scenery and general atmosphere reminds me of childhood. Gives you dat nostalgic vibe.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Just like my home town. :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Hoo Hoo x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. JRIz Learned

JRIz
    Previous Sea Dogs give you the ability to teleport around during sea battles which can be horribly abused. For example, you can repeatedly teleport around another ship until you are in perfect position to board, then fire a grapeshot and simply press the board button without sustaining any damage even if the enemy is much larger. You can even evade enemy salvos in mid-air by simply teleporting away.

Does City of Abandoned ships still have this and if yes, how do you deal with it since the game begins to feel much too slow if you avoid teleportation altogether on the other hand.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    If by teleportation you mean auto-travel to ships using the menu, you can't do that when hostiles are in range.

^ Top  
  9. JRIz Learned

JRIz
    As far as I remember, in Sea Dogs 2 and 3 it was indeed possible. So is it different in 4? Maybe it was a difficulty setting.

^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Nope, it's a feature even in the easiest of settings.
    You can sail to nearby points of interest, just not in combat.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Worth it and worth it a thousand times. Hard game, no handholding, and time-critical quests, but very rewarding once you get your bearings.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    why "for some reason"? Series was born in Russia, and, unlike in the west, have a well-defined naming:
    - Corsairs (Sea Dogs in the west);
    - Corsairs 2 (Pirates of Caribbean in the west);
    - Corsairs 3 (Age of Pirates - Caribbean Tales in the west);
    - Corsairs 3 - Return of the Legend (standalone expansion, was never released in the west);
    - Corsairs 3 - City of Abandoned Ships (second standalone expansion, known as Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships in the west);
    - Corsairs - To Each his Own (third standalone expansion, known as Sea Dogs: To Each His Own in the west).

Btw, some of former devs from Akella and Seaward are working on spiritual sequel, called Corsairs: The Black Spot (reference to Stevenson's "Treasue Island"). However, there are some legal troubles regarding who owns Corsairs trademark.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    For some reason unknown to blokes like me who cannot into keeping track.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Last one? you mean Fallut Nevada I hope Comrade not Bethshit diarhea. Anybody tried To Each his Own? I like some changes they made as more historically accurate ship classes and guns and money and game seems to be much harder but on the other hand I hate to play as French fop and some quests are so scripted you even won't find them without walk-through. Would love to play game with only XVI c ships to be honest. So no spy glasses, stering wheels and other popamole, just my Galleon, bussola and arquebus vs natives and pirates.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    To Each His Own is theoretically a great game. Overall the best engine of the Sea Dogs games because it's the most updated. It's not really moddable at the moment because the code is still closed. But after all expansions are released the devs plan to open modding (which would be a huge boost to popularity of the game I guess).
    The story itself forces you to play as the French Charles. That might be restricting but I like the story (despite the bad translation). The story really has that oldschool pirates/adventure novel/movie style going on. It's a long story with tons of quests. The problem with the quests is like Commissar Draco already mentioned the heavy scripting which forces you to do the quests in particular steps to solve them and basically requires you to have a walkthrough for some of them. The times quests are only nice theoretically, they are often more annoying because the time limit is usually too short. In general the game forces you to abuse the game mechanics and engine the beat some encounters. That's typically a Russian thing and I don't know why they like it that way...
    I don't really like the destinction between pesos and dubloons. I don't see really a point why you have to buy some things with pesos and others with dubloons. It's stupid and doesn't make sense, except to artificially try to rescue the game economy (which will never workout in a game anyway...).
    The melee combat system is actually pretty good. It's nuanced, clearly the best in any Sea Dogs game and even better than in most action rpgs. Different weapons and the weapons style play a huge role. I was pretty surprised by that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    I wonder if this game is an RPG.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Yes, I would call it that! In my gamefolder it's under rpgs.

^ Top  
  19. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    It certainly is.

^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Also my biggest problem with the game. I can tolerate playing as a frog but his beard is ridiculous. Spaniards have better beards for fuck's sake.
    And the doubloons business is needlessly autistic.
    EDIT: might be worth doing a separate thread for all the sword and sails RPGs

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    You can use the Interface mod for a better look & less French beard:

[​IMG]

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Thing's on sale at GoG, probably even on steam, get it while it lasts men.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    :necro:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Remember men, don't sail into a port while bearing an enemy flag. Unless at night.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    You'd be better off buying it on Gog, Steam older games often have issues.

In this game, when you are sailing, the perspective is always outside the ship, right? Or is there a way to have a perspective from a person aboard, rather than a bird's eye view of the vessel?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)