Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is a game made by two hated studious,EA and Biowaste. Believe it or not,a lot of people got burned by Biowaste and their name is not worth much. Sci-fi shooter guys got burned with ME3 and that shit Andromeda,don't see many of them going to buy Anthem. After all they are the main target of the game. A lot of people got duped by Destiny 1&2 and i doubt they will rush to get duped by Anthem. Pushing it back a year was the best PR decision that i have seen from EA in a decade. It would let the market recover from Destiny,people to forget about EA lootboxes and let Biowaste perfect the game and make it hit that 30fps.

yeye

Augur
They didn't shut them down after Tortanic. Can you find a failure bigger than that?

Theldaran

Liturgist
I dunno, if you ask here you'll find hordes of Bioware hecklers, but also a big number of fans.

All they have to do is find a new audience, like those musical bands that change their sound.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I dunno, if you ask here you'll find hordes of Bioware hecklers, but also a big number of fans.

All they have to do is find a new audience, like those musical bands that change their sound.
What audience did remain,3D platformers? They could make some super mario game.

Theldaran

Liturgist

More like a silly shooter game like Call of Duty. Imagine if CoD fans, who religiously buy a game per year, could buy Anthem and its extensions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

More like a silly shooter game like Call of Duty. Imagine if CoD fans, who religiously buy a game per year, could buy Anthem and its extensions.
Nah,they got burned out with the ME shit and battlefront. They lost all the racing fans with kotor. Not many people left to buy their shit. Still anthem will sell millions,but not the right number of millions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They didn't shut them down after Tortanic. Can you find a failure bigger than that?
TOR was too big to fail, so they found a way to salvage it. Plus it was made by Austin, not Edmonton. Now Edmonton's finally in direct danger.

yeye

Augur
Salvage is too strong a word here. They make some money off it, but it's nowhere near what they were expecting (and investing for) and possibly still not in the green overall. The latter part is me talking out my ass, but I don't think any one of us can really know how much EA really spent on the Tortanic.

We may be going off track a little here. No skin off my back if Anthem fails, I'd just rather Bioware doesn't make any more rpg's because I have no faith in their ability to make a good one anymore. And I doubt EA will close the whole studio while there's anything in there left to milk.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is really sad how cynical we have become,hoping for an rpg game to fail and once loved studio to burn to ash.
:argh:Fuck you EA,and fuck you game industry,may you crumble to dust you fucking greedy cunts!!! May your seed be sour and may your wifes cuck you with the pool cleaning boy!!!

Theldaran

Liturgist
Everything has a life cycle, and it seems Bioware has exceeded its usefulness. Therefore, down with the axe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/14/anthem-8-things-weve-learned-so-far-in-2018

ANTHEM: 8 THINGS WE'VE LEARNED SO FAR IN 2018
BioWare's technical design director shares details on the studio's 2019 action-RPG.

With Anthem recently confirmed for Q1 2019 to make way for a new Battlefield this fall, reportedly titled Battlefield V, BioWare’s highly anticipated shared-world action-RPG is now roughly a year away from being released.

The majority of staff from the developer's Edmonton and Austin studios is reportedly focused on Anthem, yet both BioWare and EA have remained relatively quiet about its development since last year's reveal at E3.

Thankfully, BioWare Technical Design Director Brenon Holmes has been regularly dropping hints and revealing minor gameplay features on the Anthem subreddit. As we continue to piece together what BioWare has in store for its next big adventure ahead of this year's EA Play, IGN has compiled a handful of Holmes’ most interesting reveals from the past few weeks.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

At the core of Anthem’s gameplay is the Javelin, a customizable exosuit worn by Freelancers, the in-universe name for the playable characters tasked with protecting humanity. There are different classes of Javelins — Colossus and Ranger are the first to be revealed — and, according to Holmes, they are essential for venturing beyond the safety of Fort Tarsis’ walls.

Even the “smallest ‘non-hostile’ creatures” in Anthem “probably eat humans,” said Holmes, making exploration without a Javelin nearly impossible. He added the team has prototyped gameplay outside the exosuit, and “while it was a really cool atmosphere thing,” they found players “didn’t really have a lot of combat interaction beyond getting eaten.”

“The larger problem had to do with getting stuck,” said Holmes. Since the world is built to be explored in a Javelin, the team often found themselves trapped in environments due to humans' lack of mobility outside the suit.

However, BioWare hasn’t given up on the idea entirely. In response to a fan who suggested scripted missions that take place outside the Javelin, Holmes said, “There's definitely the possibility of some of this kind of stuff down the line — we just need to figure out if there are good ways to deploy it alongside our other types of content.”

Sky's the Limit

While Anthem’s reveal trailer sets the stage for a sprawling open-world, which Holmes confirmed is not on Earth, there will naturally be limitations on exploration, particularly on how high you can fly.

“There will be some amount of progression and skill expression with flying, which will affect how far you can go and what you can do in the air,” said Holmes. BioWare wants players to “feel a sense of freedom with our exploration mechanics,” but not at the expense of performance.

With that in mind, BioWare is implementing a “flight ceiling” that's "fairly subtle, and feels more like a heavy downdraft,” according to Holmes. Just how high that ceiling rests is still (wait for it) “up in the air.”

Up Close and Personal

While expected, Holmes confirmed melee combat will be a part of each Freelancer’s arsenal.

When asked about melee, Holmes referred to the Colossus’ “stomp” attack, which was shown during the E3 demo (presumably around the 3:54 mark in the video below). Though not confirmed, the name-specific attack for the Colossus may imply each Javelin type will come equipped with a unique melee ability.

What Lies Beneath?

In one of the E3 demo's more surprising moments, the player dives into a body of water, seamlessly transitioning from aerial to underwater traversal.

However, Javelins won't come equipped with an endless supply of oxygen, as Holmes says players can't "stay underwater forever." As of now, oxygen will only regenerate while out of the water.

As for the possibility of encountering enemies beneath the surface, Holmes said BioWare's not ready to talk about that “just yet….”

Battle Scars

Doing battle with human-eating monsters is sure to take a toll on your Javelin, but how will that be reflected on screen? Holmes says the team is interested in adding visible wear to your exosuit as it takes damage, but he’s currently “unclear on whether or not we can incorporate it into the final shader solution.”

To see how this could work, look no further than EA’s own Titanfall series. As seen in the Titan boss fight below, metal flies and fire erupts as the giant mech nears destruction.

These are, of course, two entirely different games, built using entirely different engines, meaning there are countless variables that will determine whether or not BioWare ultimately implements a similar mechanic in Anthem.

Cross-Platform Play?

As cross-platform play becomes more prevalent (see: Fortnite, Rocket League, Minecraft, and more), Holmes has been asked whether or not it'll be featured in Anthem. He says there aren’t many technological reasons why it couldn’t happen; the decision “has more to do with what teams are able to negotiate... and what the various platforms are willing to allow.”

Holmes added even if BioWare’s able to get cross-play approved by platform holders, that doesn’t mean it’ll be part of the final build. “There are sometimes design reasons why you might not want to allow the mixing of PC and console,” he said, “mainly due to the differences in controls and hardware, etc.”

Should the stars align and Anthem feature cross-play, it’s safe to assume it’d be restricted to PS4-PC and Xbox One-PC. Despite Microsoft’s call for PS4 and Xbox One cross-play, it’s only been (briefly and accidentally) enabled in one game. As of last August, Xbox Head of Marketing Aaron Greenberg said he remained “hopeful” that Sony will eventually support the initiative.

Staff Changes

During the years-long development process, it's commonplace for a studio to see staff members come and go. However, some fans voiced their concerns this week when acclaimed writer Drew Karpyshyn announced his retirementfrom BioWare.

The studio's GM, Casey Hudson, responded to one such concern on Twitter, saying Karpyshyn finished his work on Anthem and the "Lead Writers and their teams continue to do amazing work developing the world, story, and characters." Holmes then followed up on Hudson's comment, revealing the game's lead writers are Cathleen Rootsaert and Jay Watamaniuk. Both Rootsaert and Watamaniuk are credited as writers on Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

There's Work to Be Done

Anthem is still very much in development, according to Holmes, as various gameplay mechanics and systems have yet to be locked down.

Among them is ammunition resupply and management, as players can run out of ammo in the game's current build. BioWare is “playing around with different mechanics for resupply,” such as consumables, drops, restock locations, caches, suit abilities, and/or returning to the hub.

“We want it to be something that you’re aware of, but maybe not necessarily the sole thing that drives you back to your base,” said Holmes. “We had a much more punitive version of this a while back, but it was a pretty terrible feeling to have to go home because you ran out of bullets.”

Through Reddit, Holmes is also seeking community feedback on potential game systems that have yet to be announced, such as crafting. Over 80 people responded to that specific call for feedback, detailing their desires for customizable Javelins, weapons, and more.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The most corporate PR bullshit interview that i have read in a while. It is just a retelling of the trailer. Who would have though that you will shoot animals in a metal suit and could take damage....such a revelation!:roll:

Irata

Scholar
The good news for this game is that Destiny 2's reception has been lukewarm at best. They should be able to capitalize off some disgruntled Destiny fans who think this game will be good (which it won't).

Gerrard

Arcane
Somehow I get the feeling that even as broken as Firefall was, it was more fun than this can ever hope to be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.bioware.com/2018/04/16/studio-update-from-casey-hudson/

Studio Update from Casey Hudson
by Author -Casey Hudson
Posted on - April 16, 2018

Final2-3-1200x675.jpg

Humans! It’s going to be an exciting year. There’s so much going on that I wanted to set up a blog where I can share some thoughts and news with you directly. This is the first entry in a series where I’d like to talk about our vision for BioWare, what that means for our upcoming titles, and share some stories about development as we head towards the launch of Anthem.

I started at BioWare 20 years ago. I’ve worked on several of our titles, most notably as the Producer/Director of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect Trilogy. A few years ago, I took some time away to try something different, and had an amazing experience working at Microsoft on mixed-reality and HoloLens. But the Great White North called me home once again when I was offered the opportunity to return to BioWare as General Manager. The idea of leading the company that I was part of building for so long, and returning to work on the game worlds that I love, was one I couldn’t pass up.

When I returned to BioWare last summer, Mass Effect: Andromeda had just been released and there was a significant movement among players asking for a story DLC that would answer questions surrounding the fate of the quarians. As you know, we were not able to deliver story DLC for Andromeda—this was as frustrating for us as it was for players, and it was something we knew we had to solve in future games.

That experience ultimately became a defining moment in refocusing BioWare’s mission. We need to delight players with new experiences and innovation, but we must stay focused on the importance of the world, character, and storytelling elements that players expect from our games. And our games must be designed to continue delivering new stories and experiences, in an ongoing relationship with players in the worlds we’re evolving together.

It’s in that spirit that we are working through production on Anthem–a game designed to create a whole new world of story and character that you can experience with friends in an ongoing series of adventures. It will be unlike anything you’ve played, but if we do it right, it will feel very distinctly BioWare.

Next time I’ll talk more about how our updated studio mission is helping to focus our work on Anthemand the games that will follow!

Casey

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
we must stay focused on the importance of the world, character, and storytelling elements that players expect from our games.
Sooo they will double down on the shit writing. Haven't seen many people expecting anything better than shit from biowaste.

Mustawd

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/17/ea-exec-says-they-wont-repeat-loot-box-mistakes/

EA exec says they won’t repeat loot box mistakes

anthem-1.jpg

Years of growing discontent over loot box monetisation in games came to a head with 2017’s Star Wars Battlefront II‘s lousy loot-based unlock progression system, raising such a stink that governments weighed in on arguments and EA disabled the microtransactions.

“We can shy away from it and pretend like it didn’t happen,” Patrick Söderlund, EA’s new chief design officer, told The Verge, “or we can act responsibly and realise that we made some mistakes, and try to rectify those mistakes and learn from them.” He swears blind that they’ve chosen option B, and they’ll try real hard not to guff up games like Anthem and the mysterious next Battlefield.

“We had the intent that was designed for us to have more people play it over a longer period of time,” explains Söderlund of the decision to include loot boxes. “And like a lot of other games on the market, to be able to afford to do that we had an idea of getting returns from that. But at the same time, we got it wrong.”

They sure did. Battlefront 2’s loot box progression system was a grind with optional microtransactions to skip some of the chore. As nice as it is that EA seem to be stepping back from blasting £45 of DLC, instead releasing new maps and modes for free in several games, that’s a miserable way to fund post-launch additions.

“We have taken significant steps as a company to review and understand the mechanics around monetisation, loot boxes, and other things in our games before they go to market,” Söderlund said. “For games that come next, for Battlefield or for Anthem, [players have] made it very clear that we can’t afford to make similar mistakes. And we won’t.”

With Battlefront 2, at least, Söderlund says the rethink is working out, noting that “players are coming back, and we’re seeing stronger engagement numbers.” EA launched a new progression system in March, which removes that box-based progression and some of the grind. Needing to unlock anything in a multiplayer game still sucks but it is less sucky now. Microtransactions will return this week, but they’ll only be able to buy player skins – far more palatable.

EA will need to back up this friendly chat, though. It’s all good and well ‘fessing up afterwards, but something must be severely broken at the company for them to ever think this was a good idea. As much as big-budget game development is incredibly volatile and looks increasingly unsustainable, this was a damned foolish solution.

“It’s clear to us that players see the company differently than we do,” Söderlund said. “And in that situation, as a member of the executive team, as the guy who runs all of the studios, I have to take that seriously. And we have to continue to listen and understand what’s triggering that. We have to be very cautious of what we do.” And they have to do better.

“We have to take action and show people that we’re serious about building the best possible products, that we’re serious about treating the players fair, and we’re here to make the best possible entertainment that we can. And in the cases where we don’t get it right, we just have to listen and learn from it and be better.”

You really do.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anthem doesn't really look like it would support a strong narrative and characters. Isn't it supposed to be a loot-shooter like Destiny?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You're saying that like you don't enjoy your story being delivered through witty one-liners while your screen and speakers are flooded with alien shooting fireworks everywhere :roll:.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only if it was a Predator game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom