Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

User was nabbed fit

Think I may have to bite the bullet on Anthem then, seeing as it seems to hold the higher value. I don't particularly want to play/support BF5 either.

I'll be the guinea pig on this one. The hero the Codex needs, but not the one you deserve.

:d1p:

Last edited by a moderator:

J1M

Arcane
If they don't want people to sell codes they should offer better games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.bioware.com/2019/01/22/one-month-to-go/

One Month To Go
by Author -Casey Hudson
General Manager of BioWare

Well folks, this is it! It was a little over 6 years ago that we first started working on Anthem, and we’re down to exactly one month left until launch.

Back in 2012 when we first conceived of Anthem (then codenamed DYLAN), we wanted to create a whole new fictional universe, full of BioWare quality story and character. We also wanted it to be an experience you could share with friends, and to have a story that doesn’t just come to an end, but takes place in a world where things are happening right now.

We knew there would be challenges. People are skeptical of the idea of story in an online game, and for good reason. Often, the nature of online multiplayer games tends to fight story agency and interesting character interactions. And, even in the best online games, it’s easy to lose interest or run out of things to do when your friends aren’t online.

We designed Anthem to address these design challenges by trying something new and different. With Anthem, we aim to integrate the fun of multiplayer missions with your friends, and single-player story agency and characters, into a connected narrative experience – set in a world designed to be always changing, and where anything is possible. The result is an intentionally unique structure which is fundamental to Anthem’s design and even the universe it’s set in.

Anthem will launch with a ton of content, including a substantial main story that introduces you to the world and its characters. But there’s still a missing ingredient that we haven’t been able to test Anthem with: you. So, over the next month as you start to have opportunities to try what we’ve created, I ask you to keep one thing in mind: The launch of Anthem is not the end – it’s the beginning of an ongoing story in which you are a critical element. If there’s something you want more of, we can build it. If something isn’t right, let us know. And the story itself will unfold over time based on how you play the game. Soon, we will reveal more about our plans for how we intend to support that ongoing stream of content and features.

But when can you play? We are just days away from the first of several opportunities you’ll have to jump into Anthem and try it for yourself:
  1. If you have pre-ordered or are an active EA Access subscriber, you’ll be able to participate in the VIP demo starting January 25.
  2. Then, on February 1, the open demo goes live and everyone will be able to spend the weekend playing Anthem.
  3. If you subscribe to Origin Access Premier you’ll be able to start playing the full game through Early Access on February 15. Or you can play the first 10 hours on the same day through the Play First Trial.
  4. And finally, our worldwide launch date is February 22!
I’ll be spending a lot of time in the world of Anthem myself. I hope to see you there!

Casey

*CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS APPLY. SEE https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/pre-order-disclaimer FOR DETAILS. Persistent internet connection, and acceptance of EA User Agreement and Privacy & Cookie Policy required to play.

** CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS APPLY, CERTAIN TITLES MAY NOT BE INCLUDED. SEE origin.com/store/origin-access/terms FOR DETAILS.

† CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS APPLY. SEE ea.com/ea-access/terms AND origin.com/store/origin-access/terms FOR DETAILS.

J1M

Arcane
If you want to play the demo this weekend you better start preloading it. 50GB download.

Those with the demo can hand out 3 friend keys.

I will preorder to try it and then likely cancel.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3336177/gaming/bioware-anthem-hands-on-preview.html#tk.rss_all

Anthem hands-on preview: After 8 hours, I still can't tell if BioWare's Destiny rival is good or not
Throw all your hands up

By Hayden Dingman

Games Reporter, PCWorld | Jan 24, 2019 10:00 AM PT

anthem-screen-6-100786002-large.jpg

Anthem

At E3 2018 we finally got a chance to go hands-on with Anthem and came away underwhelmed. Oh, it played great—the words I used at the time were “smoother than Destiny 2.” But as I noted at the time, Anthem ($60 preorder on Origin) is coming from BioWare, a studio known for story-driven singleplayer experiences, and yet there was no story on display at E3. “Tell me why BioWare is making this game,” I wrote, “because what I played feels like it could’ve been made by a dozen different studios.”

Well this week EA finally pulled back the curtain on Anthem’s story, as it were, giving us a whopping eight hours of hands-on time with the game. A little peek behind the curtain here: That’s a lot. Our usual hands-on previews run about an hour or two, and a particularly long demo might last three hours. Eight is unheard of, and indicates EA’s either very confident in the game or worried the hype isn’t high enough.

And I’m not really sure where I land either. Anthem’s still incredible to play, but even with eight hours BioWare’s legendary story chops didn’t shine through the way I’d hoped.

Run-and-gun
I don’t want to spend this entire preview dissecting how Anthem plays, in part because that was the focus of our E3 demo and in part because we’ll cover it again in next month’s review. It really is smooth though. That’s the most fitting description. After years making incredible games with middling combat, BioWare’s finally found its stride making third-person shooters.

Dodge. Double-jump. Triple-jump, if you’re using the agile Interceptor class. Transition seamlessly into flying, then from flying into hovering and aiming your gun, then back into flying, then to swimming, then back to flying. No other game gives you this many mobility options except, well, Warframe. It’s why that particular comparison feels so fitting at times.

And it’s Anthem’s highlight, to be honest. We didn’t see much of the map even with eight hours to explore, focusing on missions instead, but by far the best part was simply moving place to place. That’s saying something, as typically traversal is my least favorite part of an open-world game. In Anthem, I’d rather spend time doing aerial acrobatics than practically anything else.

Not that the rest is bad. The shooting didn’t impress me nearly as much as the simple joys of moving my character, but it’s solid. The “Heavy Pistol” class (equivalent to Destiny 2’s Hand Cannons) are particularly satisfying to land headshots with, taking out many grunt enemies with a single hit. Honorable mentions go to the light machine guns and marksman rifles, with assault rifles, machine pistols, and sniper rifles my least favorite.

AnthemAnthem"> Anthem
Your secondary abilities are the real draw though. We had the opportunity to experience four of Anthem’s classes, or Javelins, in our demo. Each Javelin is a roughly person-sized mechsuit, though why anyone in the Anthem universe decided to make a mech with a cape I have no idea.

And yes, like in Destiny the class with the cape is the coolest and everyone’s going to want to play it. It’s the “Storm” class, though the name is a bit deceptive. Your skills aren’t just lightning-based but elemental-based in general—fire, lightning, and ice.

Storm Javelins are incredibly overpowered. That might change before release, but literally everyone I talked to at the demo agreed they are game-breaking at the moment. Ice powers allow you to literally freeze entire mobs in place, and you can just keep doing it and doing it. At one point I carried another player through a boss encounter on my own, doing probably 90 percent of the damage and ultimately winning the fight by flying around and peppering it with ice blasts.

Gaming
Anthem - gameplay
Damn it feels great though. The Storm Javelin captures that feeling I love in Destiny 2 where you’re basically an unstoppable demigod. It might get balanced before release but I almost hope it doesn’t. Just make the other classes more useful, BioWare.

They could use it. The Colossus, Ranger, and Interceptor are your standard Tank/DPS/Sniper trio. Of them, the Interceptor is most fun to play because you’re super-fast and have a triple-jump. That said, even the Interceptor doesn’t have options as interesting as the Storm. The Ranger and Colossus meanwhile are simply not for me. Like playing a fighter in an RPG, they’re just boring utility classes.

Anyway, there are some interesting ideas surrounding customization. Whatever Javelin you choose, you unlock armor components that let you swap out your secondary abilities. The Storm starts with a lightning and an ice ability for instance, but there are multiple variations for each slot. It feels a lot more intuitive than Destiny’s leveling system, albeit not as easy to change on the fly.

AnthemAnthem"> Anthem
Even better: You can play all four Javelins from the same character. It’s annoying that Destiny makes you run a different character for each class, so Anthem’s more flexible approach is welcome. Gear is per-Javelin, but it still seems relatively painless to change over.

And cosmetic customization seems like a focal point. No surprise, there. We got a glimpse of Anthem’s shop, and it looks like EA’s going to monetize armor pieces and decals to hell and back. At least you can change out your color scheme for free though, and the base armor looks cool enough as-is. I guess we’ll see how hard it is to unlock new cosmetic items when the game’s properly released, but I don’t really care if it’s all cosmetics. My only complaint is that hitting Escape brings you straight to the store before you can access the map or other important info.

The big bang
That’s all how it plays though, and as I said we talked a lot about that at E3. Point is, it plays great. What I’m still not seeing is the BioWare aspect.

It’s not for lack of trying. We saw a lot of story in our eight-hour demo—multiple cutscenes, a lot of conversations, codex snippets. Anthem definitely doesn’t have the Destiny problem, where all the cool story bits are hidden in places the player will never look.

AnthemAnthem"> Anthem
But “more” story doesn’t really mean “better” story, and Anthem’s feels rickety to me so far. You join the game as a Freelancer, a mercenary band of sorts tasked with combating cataclysms, world-threatening events generated by misuse of the Anthem of Creation, a technological artifact of sorts that helped create the world but occasionally malfunctions or...something.

Listen, if that paragraph made you feel tired just know it’s just as exhausting to write it, and to play Anthem. BioWare’s attempting to spin up an entire universe all at once here, and the opening hour of Anthem is the info-dump to end all info-dumps. Characters don’t really talk with you as much as at you, conversations peppered with terms you only half-understand or half-remember. There are five-minute cutscenes full of Important Sounding People doing Important Sounding Things that I literally couldn’t explain if I tried. And if that weren’t enough, your home base is littered with documents to pick up every five or ten feet, more snippets of lore for the dedicated player to read through.

Someone will really love it, I bet, but it feels clumsy and overwrought. There’s no delicacy to Anthem’s story, at least the parts I played, and no real hook. Right out of the gate you watch world-ending events and see multiple team members die, but it’s a world you were introduced to five minutes ago and characters you’ve known for even less time. Anthem doesn’t give you any reason to care.

AnthemAnthem"> Anthem
It reminds me of Jupiter Ascending, a comparison that will make sense to all 15 people who saw that film. Like Jupiter Ascending, you can tell too much work has gone into crafting Anthem’s universe, that BioWare’s trying to give Anthem as much depth in a single game as Mass Effect reached with three—and it just doesn’t work.

Again, these are early impressions. Maybe 80 hours will change my mind. I felt surprisingly unengaged though, with not a single character or story beat sticking in my mind after our demo day.

The story “sections” are odd as well. Between missions you wander around your little home base and talk to secondary characters. Unlike the main game though, these sections are in first-person and are a chore to control. The area you need to explore to acquire missions is too large, and your walk speed is irritatingly slow.

And most of the conversations simply don’t matter. They’re certainly not as deep as I’d usually expect from BioWare, though at least there are occasional dialogue options to remind you that yes, this did come from that developer. It’s got one leg up on Fallout 76 in that regard. Options are binary though, and usually break down to “Friendly Reply” or “Asshole Reply,” and it’s hard to tell whether your choices make any real difference. The actual dialogue isn’t so well-written I sought it out either—it’s mostly action-movie quips and such. There was one standout, a story quest that resulted in some...unexpected consequences for a certain scientist. But it was the exception in our demo, not the rule.

Bottom line
I want to believe there are more hilarious, inventive missions waiting. BioWare’s set up some interesting ideas: The Anthem and its relics can literally create something from nothing, which leads to (for instance) missions where you’re suddenly inundated with giant scorpions until you can turn the machine off. There’s a lot that could be done.

But what I played felt generic. I firmly believe Anthem ($60 preorder on Origin) could supplant Destiny if there’s a BioWare-caliber story underpinning its (let me say again: excellent) mechanics. I’ve still seen little-to-no evidence of that though. Playing it feels great, but I’d say the same about Mass Effect: Andromeda and it didn’t stop me from being bored by its repetitive missions and flaky plot.

There’s a VIP demo running this weekend (for people who preorder) and another open-to-everyone demo scheduled for closer to the February 22 release, so if you’re curious about how Anthem plays I recommend jumping into one of those sessions. I think you’ll be impressed by the Javelins at least, the moving and shooting aspects. Maybe that’s enough to win you over, maybe not, but it’s worth a shot.

Otherwise, stay tuned for our review sometime in late February when we can at last digest everything Anthem has to offer.

TL;DR

Generic and boring.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Seems to be. Whenever a journo is bending backwards to not say "why should you buy this?" when he should instead be shilling it's time to get worried. I mean, provided you're blind and can't see where Bioware is heading. Open beta in February should dispel any and all excuses one might have to actually buy Anthem.

Most of the previews released over the last day have been decidedly skeptical, but a buddy of mine gave me a friend code to the demo thing starting tomorrow so I'll get to check it out tomorrow. I don't expect great things, but shit, how bad could it be for free?

...that's a rhetorical question. Don't answer that.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So many particle effects to hide that absolutely nothing worthwhile is actually happening behind the screen. Bioware: The illusion of gameplay! It's a chore to even watch, good lord. Looks like there's some nice environments to fight in, but that hardly matters if 90% of the screen is just awash in horridly bright effects (parts of that video are just complete flashes of orange or blue; how is that not headache inducing when playing?)

J1M

Arcane
Looks like EA's servers are already at max capacity for the demo. They probably should have built a login queue. :lol:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some reviewer was also complaining that the store opens before everything else on the menu, including the map. So expect super intrusive monetization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom