Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Doktor Best

Arcane
You know the game is a true disaster when the only line of defense are posts like this:

"If I sat down and did the same thing for 3 days straight I would get bored quick too. I would argue that $1 per hour played is a great return on investment. Hell, even $2 per hour played is still decent. Rein in your expectations, addicts."

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...of_the_entitlement_around_here_needs_to_stop/

:lol:

BOTH SIDES, BOYS! BOTH SIDES!

Seriously mostly it is both sides though, but not here

I honestly think those lootshooters are a failed concept from the beginning. The gameplay is constantly in danger of turning into spongefests, which is deadly to shooter gameplay. Also, neither the narrative, nor the underlying gamesystems can carry the gameplay in all of those games.

If they'd have upped their game and provided a really well written story, ideally based around branching storypaths and choice and consequence so you have to debate as a group which course to take, it could be fun. But Bioware doesnt have it in them and they know that, which is why they didnt even try.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I honestly think those lootshooters are a failed concept from the beginning. The gameplay is constantly in danger of turning into spongefests, which is deadly to shooter gameplay. Also, neither the narrative, nor the underlying gamesystems can carry the gameplay in all of those games.

If they'd have upped their game and provided a really well written story, ideally based around branching storypaths and choice and consequence so you have to debate as a group which course to take, it could be fun. But Bioware doesnt have it in them and they know that, which is why they didnt even try.

They're absolutely not. It's just that loot in most of these games revolves solely around making "the numbers go higher", which is extremely mind-numbing. Escape From Tarkov is an amazing loot shooter (technical issues aside), because your gear is actually meaningful and important. You can lose all your shit when you die, but you can also gain all sorts of expensive shit by killing other players. It also helps that it's a tactical shooter with fucking phenomenal gunplay and not this arcadey zero feedback fantasy weapon shitshow.

J1M

Arcane
It's kind of baffling to me why EA haven't taken Bioware out the back and put them out of their misery yet. People that might have bought a Bioware game based on brand recognition alone have surely wised up by now that the company is no longer what it once was 10 years ago, let alone 20.
The studio is in Edmonton, Alberta. On paper those employees are much cheaper than sanfran hipsters.

Since Mass Effect and Inquisition made some money they kept getting another chance.

If Anthem actually loses money they will wind down that team and see how Dragon Age 4 does.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I honestly think those lootshooters are a failed concept from the beginning.
It's basically diablo 2 except with gameplay that involves more than holding down the left mouse button.

He is correct though, actually making a GOOD diablo/shooter game is not as easy as some would assume. Just look at the flaming trash heap Diablo 3, and how badly they fucked up because they thought they were so much smarter and better than the original D guys. And yes one of the biggest dangers is exponentially increasing numbers, Diablo 3 is a perfect example of degenerate and lazy number bloat on HP and damage because the devs were lazy hacks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The goon review:

Anthem Review: Salute Your Shortsightedness

I blame Mass Effect 2.

Anthem is a husk of a game. It's a BioWare title utterly devoid of everything that once made BioWare noteworthy. Like Destiny before it, Anthem is what you get when you smooth out the rough edges that are secretly the best parts of video games, then continue to smooth away the remaining formless blob until all that's left is one third of ACTION PRODUCT WITH LEVELING.

anthem.jpg

Destiny? Oh, that game with a big circle. We have a triangle. Completely different games.Or maybe it's more accurate to say Anthem and Destiny are what happens when you don't bother to put any of that interesting stuff in to begin with, identifying the bare minimum that a game can get away with and making vague gestures towards actually doing some of those things at some point. Eventually. Maybe.

"But you can fly around like Iron Man," some people say, a remix of the popular Destiny refrain "But the gunplay feels good." Sure, and that's novel for five or ten minutes. Maybe an hour if you're dumb as fuck (no offense, I happen to be dumb as fuck myself). At that point you have seen everything the flying/shooting has to offer, and you should ask yourself, "Now what does the game do with this?"

A good game isn't just a handful of good mechanics. It's a messy web of ideas and design choices that support those mechanics and give them meaning.

Plenty of people seem fine without all that messy substance, and that's genuinely worrying. If Super Mario Bros. were released today it could literally be world 1-1 repeated 32 times and everyone would sagely talk about the intricacies of the jump physics.

Am I expecting too much? Nope. Anthem and Destiny are hybrids of shooters, Diablo-like loot games, RPGs, and MMOs. Instead of combining all those genres and forging ahead with something new they sloppily copy the basics and remove the best bits.

If Anthem was a shooter you'd expect a campaign with actual mission design and setpieces. What you get is a thing on a map to interact with, then fight bad guys. Oh, sometimes you fight the bad guys first as well. What a memorable journey! A lot of annoying people say things on your radio while the shooting happens. Does that count as mission design?

If Anthem was a Diablo-like game you'd expect meaningful loot and an expanding toolkit of skills that change the way you play. What you get are a handful of samey items repeated ad nauseum with varying power levels, nudging stats forward.

If Anthem was an RPG you'd expect halfway decent writing. What you get is Full Whedon, with a touch of the Far Cry "look directly at the camera and perform a checklist of character traits with occasional awkward pauses for emphasis" routine.

If Anthem was an MMO you'd expect a world brimming with life and detail to explore. What you get is SHOOTING AREA and a lifeless hub populated by one-note mission dispensers.

So why do I blame Mass Effect 2?

Mass Effect was clunky. It was also the most interesting game of the series, a contemplative space cop adventure with lots of world building and some surprisingly effective tonal work.

Mass Effect 2 took a knife to the formula. It removed some of the clunkier bits and improved others. The result was a game with an undeniable sense of momentum and far better shooting. It was different but great. It was also where things started going wrong.

The act of trimming seemed to become more important than creating an interesting mess to trim from. Just look at the action-focused anemic experience that was Dragon Age 2. Even the larger games that followed like Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda continued the pattern, focusing on simple and shallow formulas that seemed enormous on paper while scaling back the meatier RPG elements.

And now we're here. But hey, at least you can fly around like Iron Man.

If you absolutely must play a current BioWare title set in space, then sure, go ahead. Log on to Star Wars: The Old Republic and be pleasantly surprised by a fun, substantial story.

2008_02_23_reviews.png

ctstalker~vga-icon-pc.gif
Anthem

And stop with these terrible slow "move a circle over something then hold down a button" inventory interfaces. 4/10

Gerrard

Arcane
So it turns out that the guy who totally looks and acts like he's going to betray you actually does betray you, surprising literally nobody with a brain. Wow, such plot twist.
And the best part is, right after that happens another character comments how the nigress cypher is so good at reading people and she didn't see it coming.
:deathclaw:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Unsurprisingly the best Anthem review comes from the best normie reviewer on Youtube.

00:33 "In 1998 Bioware released Baldur's Gate a game that took the pnp rpg and put it in people's computers practically inventing the crpg genre..."

:whatho:

Stopped the video right there and closed the tab

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
00:33 "In 1998 Bioware released Baldur's Gate a game that took the pnp rpg and put it in people's computers practically inventing the crpg genre..."

Yeah, for a BG review you should shop elsewhere. Ralph is a normie, after all.

As for the actual game this thread is about tho, there is nothing deeper and more comprehensive out there.

Duraframe300

Arcane
totally looks and acts like he's going to betray
You could just say white man in modern biowaste game.

To be fair, he isn't white.
Yes,100% nigger!

He is the only white dude in the whole game....maybe,i haven't played that shit. But he is the only one i have seen,there is some fat cripple fedora tipper mexican.

Doesn’t seem white to me, more like middle eastern brownish. Actor who played him also played a terrorist? On 24.

Gerrard

Arcane
Unsurprisingly the best Anthem review comes from the best normie reviewer on Youtube.

:whatho:

Don't worry, he'll delete it after getting 30% dislikes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Doesn’t seem white to me, more like middle eastern brownish

Nah. This guy has "Ivan" written all over his face.
Sadly it have the body of Jonny the best chicago drag queen and master of the gloryhole!

Look the only thing I’m saying is if we call THAT white we may as well call Ireanus white.
:buildawall:
Show me your pick white boy :lol:. Also i have never seen his mug so i can't comment on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom