Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Angthoron

Arcane
You say this like it's a bad thing.

Seethe

Arbiter
so this game is bricking consoles now
God damn, but I hate reddit. On here or on /v/ if I want to call the developers, the game or anything I wish shit or gay, I can do that. On reddit? Unless I want downvotes and no one to see my post I have to remark 10 times how much I love the game, love the devs, love what they have made and how long I have played it. If I don't remark how much I love it with the mildest negative comment, you will get called a hater or a troll, get banned and downvoted. You can see this in the same post in the first fucking line.
Before I start I want to say that I love Anthem (I have criticized the game before but I genuinely enjoy playing it).

/v/ is reddit tier at cancer levels. Just in a different way

Freddie

Savant
Do you know, I mean really know it was those two? Walters appears to be very clear case, but I don't know what was Hudson's role and how much he did have real power to make decisions.

Because what I read was that during ME2 (pre?) prodution nobody in the team felt Karpyshyn dark energy plot was strong enough for end game (though it got used in the end, haha.). Mac Walters become lead writer for ME2. In ME2 some Karpyshyn's work related to that is remained, think of quest with Quarian.. Tali, where she explains about her mission to collect data of dark energy.

It's quite interesting because E'Toile who were in team since ME1 and had Geth menacing and his vision regarding AI in general was quite mature. He also run into wall but it happened during ME2. Some may say his contributions were no longer appreciated. So for what comes to world building and design two strong writers were out before ME3 went to production.

I think it might have happened that Hudson become total sell out after EA bought BW, but I'm not really in the know.
Ohhh i know nothing for certainty,it is just educated assumptions. I am not saying that those people were not responsible for me2 being good,i am arguing that hudson and walters are incompetent ass lickers that managed to kill the franchise. It is natural for incompetent slimes like hudson to usurp power trough fake drama,pitting bosses against their creative people. It always ends the same way,they are good for nothing and when they get the position they burn everything to the ground. The faggot hasn't made a good game in his whole life,same with walters.
For what I have written about ME series is what I collected from various trustworthy sources. E'Toile himself used to write to Something Awful, but also to other small forum. Bit's and pieces from other writers. For more general things, after EA purchased the studio some programmers used sometimes post something, where I get to know that even Q&A were flagged something and programmers made patch, that patch was never released and devs had no idea. That was EA cutting corners, on PC it's easy but putting patch out on console versions at least used to have a quite hefty price tag.

What comes to Hudson's career he was project director for KotOR, I'v read that Jade Empire (the first attempt on their own IP) was either based on Hudson's idea or was for other reasons very important game to him, even he isn't listed on credits (at least in Wikipedia). In Mass Effect he was again project director (though during developing the series title producer was I saw most used). Hudson himself posted about how Star Flight had huge impact on him back in the day and indeed, if comparisons between similar game Star Control II and ME1 were being made. I sure can see the influence myself. I think he had a role in lot's of good things in ME1 being greenlit.

Whatever all happened when ME2 was in production I don't know, but for me it looks like during the time of ME3 it was Hudson who got fucked. That is based on Walters interviews and schedules regarding what he was doing during few months before ME3 release. He was writing ME1 prequel comics. Game had no ending, for what I have blamed the graphics guys, I can't fault them for not creating assets they have no designs, concepts, anything. So guy was writing comics and then when was time for him to come with en ending (and as lead writer that was his responsibility) he came with that infamous napkin, I have seen that. 'Lot's of speculations for everyone' Oh for fuck sake... He came to writers meeting with that.

I recall Hudson had asked perhaps even earlier more time from higher ups in EA, but answer had been no. I don't know if Omega becoming DLC was actually planned from the beginning but might also been something else. I do know that for ME3 promotional CGI videos were made inhouse, when they were outsourced in earlier productions. That again begs the question, why they were doing that and not creating end game assets?

Patrick Weekes later shed some light on what happened. Hudson understood the situation and told the team that he and Walters continue from there. Even rest of the writers had no idea how bad the ending was before the game came out. He also wrote that he understood Hudson's decision despite not liking the outcome and what I know about production cycle and what was doable in that time, putting something together from recycled assets and coming up with some sort of narrative glue was what was could be done. There were things though, Star Kid which appeared through the game being moron using circular logic in the end, why in the world do that.

Where they were going I were preferred each colour to be associated with character by using Kai Leng, TIM and Star Kid, tree most despised characters in any BW story ever, for all the wrong reasons, but oh the comedy potential of that, but I digress.

I have wondered how much Hudson actually was in control after EA purchase, but there is this possibility that he worked with Walters. If so and now Anthem not looking too good, if there were such a pact, he practically dug his own grave.

Anyway, I'm not in position to either fault or defend the man, but story itself is valuable either way for people who are wondering developing games with actual team, corporate environment, etc. You do what you do, but I don't really see how this can lead to better games, unless we know the facts. Wrecks can be interesting but the most interesting thing for me is HOW because then others don't need the make the same mistakes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Do you know, I mean really know it was those two? Walters appears to be very clear case, but I don't know what was Hudson's role and how much he did have real power to make decisions.

Because what I read was that during ME2 (pre?) prodution nobody in the team felt Karpyshyn dark energy plot was strong enough for end game (though it got used in the end, haha.). Mac Walters become lead writer for ME2. In ME2 some Karpyshyn's work related to that is remained, think of quest with Quarian.. Tali, where she explains about her mission to collect data of dark energy.

It's quite interesting because E'Toile who were in team since ME1 and had Geth menacing and his vision regarding AI in general was quite mature. He also run into wall but it happened during ME2. Some may say his contributions were no longer appreciated. So for what comes to world building and design two strong writers were out before ME3 went to production.

I think it might have happened that Hudson become total sell out after EA bought BW, but I'm not really in the know.
Ohhh i know nothing for certainty,it is just educated assumptions. I am not saying that those people were not responsible for me2 being good,i am arguing that hudson and walters are incompetent ass lickers that managed to kill the franchise. It is natural for incompetent slimes like hudson to usurp power trough fake drama,pitting bosses against their creative people. It always ends the same way,they are good for nothing and when they get the position they burn everything to the ground. The faggot hasn't made a good game in his whole life,same with walters.
For what I have written about ME series is what I collected from various trustworthy sources. E'Toile himself used to write to Something Awful, but also to other small forum. Bit's and pieces from other writers. For more general things, after EA purchased the studio some programmers used sometimes post something, where I get to know that even Q&A were flagged something and programmers made patch, that patch was never released and devs had no idea. That was EA cutting corners, on PC it's easy but putting patch out on console versions at least used to have a quite hefty price tag.

What comes to Hudson's career he was project director for KotOR, I'v read that Jade Empire (the first attempt on their own IP) was either based on Hudson's idea or was for other reasons very important game to him, even he isn't listed on credits (at least in Wikipedia). In Mass Effect he was again project director (though during developing the series title producer was I saw most used). Hudson himself posted about how Star Flight had huge impact on him back in the day and indeed, if comparisons between similar game Star Control II and ME1 were being made. I sure can see the influence myself. I think he had a role in lot's of good things in ME1 being greenlit.

Whatever all happened when ME2 was in production I don't know, but for me it looks like during the time of ME3 it was Hudson who got fucked. That is based on Walters interviews and schedules regarding what he was doing during few months before ME3 release. He was writing ME1 prequel comics. Game had no ending, for what I have blamed the graphics guys, I can't fault them for not creating assets they have no designs, concepts, anything. So guy was writing comics and then when was time for him to come with en ending (and as lead writer that was his responsibility) he came with that infamous napkin, I have seen that. 'Lot's of speculations for everyone' Oh for fuck sake... He came to writers meeting with that.

I recall Hudson had asked perhaps even earlier more time from higher ups in EA, but answer had been no. I don't know if Omega becoming DLC was actually planned from the beginning but might also been something else. I do know that for ME3 promotional CGI videos were made inhouse, when they were outsourced in earlier productions. That again begs the question, why they were doing that and not creating end game assets?

Patrick Weekes later shed some light on what happened. Hudson understood the situation and told the team that he and Walters continue from there. Even rest of the writers had no idea how bad the ending was before the game came out. He also wrote that he understood Hudson's decision despite not liking the outcome and what I know about production cycle and what was doable in that time, putting something together from recycled assets and coming up with some sort of narrative glue was what was could be done. There were things though, Star Kid which appeared through the game being moron using circular logic in the end, why in the world do that.

Where they were going I were preferred each colour to be associated with character by using Kai Leng, TIM and Star Kid, tree most despised characters in any BW story ever, for all the wrong reasons, but oh the comedy potential of that, but I digress.

I have wondered how much Hudson actually was in control after EA purchase, but there is this possibility that he worked with Walters. If so and now Anthem not looking too good, if there were such a pact, he practically dug his own grave.

Anyway, I'm not in position to either fault or defend the man, but story itself is valuable either way for people who are wondering developing games with actual team, corporate environment, etc. You do what you do, but I don't really see how this can lead to better games, unless we know the facts. Wrecks can be interesting but the most interesting thing for me is HOW because then others don't need the make the same mistakes.

The whole ME3 was a disgusting mess,i was pretty much hyped about the game and then during the gameplay i wanted it to end faster. It really left sour taste in my mouth,still i got a good laugh watching all the world wide hysteria about the ending. There were a few good parts about the game and later on i found that most of them were by karpyshyn. The rest was liquid garbage at best. Hudsom is an incompetent cuck,and i will happy to see him burn! For the earlier games,well they were made by a capable team under skilful businessmen,thus not letting his full incompetence shine. ME3 was the first game that he was in full control,and we all saw what pile of shit it was. Same could be told about anthem.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It seems this game is causing some incidental incline.

https://kotaku.com/anthem-players-say-the-game-is-shutting-down-and-even-s-1833039161

Anthem Players Say The Game Is Shutting Down And Even Sometimes Bricking Their PS4s
Ethan Gach
Today 1:00pm

j60i1609g0leqwnbee2i.png

Screenshot: EA (Anthem)

It’s been a rough launch for BioWare’s new loot shooter, and some PlayStation 4 players are now finding that the game occasionally shuts off their system as well.

“When encountering a crash or game error, sometimes I get booted to the main menu or out of the game completely to the PS4 dashboard,” a user who goes by ForTheMasters posted on the game’s subreddit over the weekend. “But twice now when trying to matchmake my PS4 has completely turned off.” The rest of the thread is filled with other commenters saying the same thing has happened to them on both the standard PS4 and PS4 Pro, sometimes completely out of the blue, other times while they’re trying to exit the game. The PS4 then treats it as an improper shut off, as if the power cord had been pulled.

There are several reports on the game’s official forum of this happening as well. “The console powers down and will not power on using the normal method of pressing the PS4 button on the controller,” wrote one player. “It is the same as if someone pulled the plug without properly shutting the hardware down or if the power went out in the house. Sometimes the button on the front of the console works, other times I have to unplug the console then plug it back in.”

Neither Sony nor EA immediately responded to a request for comment.

gknn3kh40jvxqk2fiyzw.png

Screenshot: spllitz (YouTube)
As any PS4 user who’s occasionally unplugged their console forgetting it was in rest mode knows, the PS4 does not like this and displays a warning saying to never do it again when it happens. It then goes through a short process of checking the internal database for any issues before turning back off again and then restarting as normal. The PS4 will then display the error code CE-36329-3 if there was some problem with the console’s software.

One player even says the game bricked their console. “PSA to any Anthem players on Playstation that experience complete shut downs of their consoles: STOP PLAYING!” user TheMadTitanGuantlet posted on Reddit last night. “My playstation has been completely bricked to the point of not even turning on because of Anthem.” They said they really like the game despite all the issues and just wanted to warn other players about the potential danger to their consoles. In a follow-up email to Kotaku, the person said they were playing on the Call of Duty: WWII limited edition PS4, which came out only a year and a half ago.

We’ve also gotten tips from players affected by the issue, including at least one who says that Anthem bricked their PS4 as well.

I’ve been playing Anthem on my launch edition PS4 with the glass cabinet doors of my TV cabinet open for fear the system might overheat. The console’s fan has been putting in major work with a lot of recent games like Spider-Man and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, but Anthem has taken it to a new level. I’ve also experienced the shutdown issue. but only when I fall asleep playing. Instead of my system eventually going into rest mode, I’ll wake up the next day to find it unresponsive until I manually push the power button.

It’s unclear if the shutdown problem is indeed heating related or caused by something else. Whatever the cause, there’s currently a long list of tweets at the AskPlaystation Twitter account asking for refunds due to the issue. A few people on Reddit claim to have gotten their money back, while others said they were unsuccessful.

Gerrard

Arcane
Remember the last time your OS files got corrupted because of a power outage? Is it running Windows 98?
Sounds like Sony's problem to me. What's the point of that certification that takes weeks if you let something like this happen? Though considering the recent changes over at Sony...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
can someone give a tldr about how much it sucks and why? I can't read all the thread.

Looter/grinder shooter where the loot is so bad, it's even worse than all of the other looter shooters.
Graphical effects like big explosions can probably give you Epilepsy (the perfect mix of screen flashing/strobe-effect and the rest darkening from HDR etc). If lots of abilities/Explosives are in play, can't see what the fuck is going on (seriously).
Lame-ass level design.
Little real/unique content.
Modern Bioware storytelling trends taken to their logical conclusion (i.e. irrelevant tripe).
Loading screen simulator (longer loading than missions at times).
Disconnect/Crash issues galore.

Because both the loot and story are utterly abysmal, there is basically no incentive to keep playing once you've seen a few fights, even if they manage to fix all the other stuff (right).

The Bioware-skinsuit this studio wears must smell pretty darn raw by now.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
EA. nuBioware. Triple A gaming.

Plus Games-as-a-Service design philosophy, tired "me too" style looter-shooter, game designed around streaming on Twitch, etc.

There's nothing wrong with live service gaming as such, it can be done right, even fabulously. When I played Warframe last year for about 3 months it was the most fun I had with gaming for years. The problem is when it's so cynical, so robotically corporate, so "le't not be fucked too much with this shit, idiots and whales will gobble it up anyway" that it shines through so brightly even game journalists see it.

Gerrard

Arcane
(longer loading than missions at times)
If this actually happens to you then your PC is so bad I don't know how you're even playing modern games. The loading times are bad on PC (many console games have terrible loading times so who cares), but I haven't seen a mission that is 40 seconds long.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It seems this game is causing some incidental incline.

https://kotaku.com/anthem-players-say-the-game-is-shutting-down-and-even-s-1833039161

Anthem Players Say The Game Is Shutting Down And Even Sometimes Bricking Their PS4s
Ethan Gach
Today 1:00pm

<snip>

I’ve been playing Anthem on my launch edition PS4 with the glass cabinet doors of my TV cabinet open for fear the system might overheat. The console’s fan has been putting in major work with a lot of recent games like Spider-Man and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, but Anthem has taken it to a new level. I’ve also experienced the shutdown issue. but only when I fall asleep playing. Instead of my system eventually going into rest mode, I’ll wake up the next day to find it unresponsive until I manually push the power button.

Ethan Gach is a sad, sad man. I can't imagine the self-loathing one must feel if they fall asleep while playing this shit, only to wake up in front of it 7 hours later and reach for the power button like a zombie because you can't stand to have your console turned off even for minute.

I genuinely pity these people, they are the true hollows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom