Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

ANTHEM - Destiny clone from BioWare

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Infinitron, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    What? Citation needed. More than likely Bungie had no interest in renewing their partnership with Activision. Which can be inferred from the tone in their public statements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Fallout what?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Seethe Savant

Seethe

Ouch

• Funny Funny x 11
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Steamboat Willie Educated

Steamboat Willie
    Intentionally handicapping yourself actually makes the game easier? Wow, it's like every scaling system ever implemented. Can we finally realize its a shitty system to use now?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Barely an earnings call went by where activision wasn't mentioning how dissapointed they were in D2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. TheChickenKing Learned

TheChickenKing
    That's true, but Activision also has insane projections for all of their products. Anything less than record sales usually gets them to indicate disappointment. Bungie stated that they were happy with Forsaken's sales, and while both companies claimed the split was amicable, Bungie allegedly had a huge "we're free!" party after the deal to split was finalized. Activision has been in financial trouble recently, so between that and their expectations, they were probably more than happy to part with Destiny for a quick cash infusion. Meanwhile, Bungie seems happy to have gotten away from their corporate overlords and control a franchise that remains profitable. Irrespective of any opinions on the quality of the game, Destiny 2 doesn't seem to be a "dead game" or any such hyperbole.

Anthem on the other hand....

^ Top  
  7. Turbo normie Educated

Turbo normie
    I can't wait the first headline claiming "Bioware is dead". I was waiting for Anthem release just for this moment.

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nex Cipher

Nex
    If only Apex wasn't around it would be even more glorious for EA

^ Top  
  9. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

I wouldn't understate how much a closed-off engine with shitty tools can screw with a game's development. Consider that Unreal/CryEngine and Unity are all relatively open engines (open to the public and every hobbyist to screw around with) and have worked on things like tools and user experience for decades in some cases (since 1998/2002/2005 respectively) with a lot of input from outside developers they licensed it out to, while Frostbite is an internal engine developed by DICE for the sole purpose of rendering and playing Battlefield e.g. a Multiplayer shooty game on a relatively large singular map with 64 players and all the other studios that were likely forced by EA to use it, because "muh in-house" had to develop all their own tool-sets for their particular genres themselves. It's hard to know how horrible Frostbite really is though as a non-EA employee.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    CDProjekt made their own game engine and developed both Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 using it in less time than it took to create Anthem.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    When will people accept that the Bioware of old is dead and long gone? I don't feel bad for people that bought Anthem. They paid full price for an early access game. So fuck them all

• Yes x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Bioware is back on damage control as they once again become active in communicating with their fans, as opposed to the blackout that had been happening ever since the enhanced loot -> shitty loot debacle.

Game must really be on fire if they're scrambling like this.

• Funny Funny x 8
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ^ Top  
  14. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    It has voice chat.
    But didn't you hear, CDPR stole UE3 source code because some of the system folders have the same names. Some retard here on the codex used to claim so (I honestly don't remember who it was, it was years ago) so it must be true! :lol:

^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    That's worse than having nothing at all.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Plaguecrafter Literate

Plaguecrafter
    :thisisfine:

^ Top  
  17. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Apex won't be around much longer. It was briefly popular because it had no barrier to entry and was aggressively shilled, but now that the honeymoon's worn off it's hemorrhaging players. I'm basing this on Twitch viewers in the absence of other metrics, but since it's zoomerbait this is probably fairly accurate.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    making a business model out of a group of peoples(children) that typically have a near-zero attention span probably isn't a great idea tbh

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Agame Savant

Agame
    I REALLY hope at some time in the future we get the leaked story of development, it has gotta be interesting. This game screams of development hell and almost certainly getting completely scrapped and remade half way through development. The final product looks like it was rushed together in 2 years or less.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Steamboat Willie Educated

Steamboat Willie
    It probably started out as something completely different and ended up being scrapped and restarted to chase the latest fad (looter shooter). Basically the same thing that happened with Blizzard with Titan.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. J1M Arcane

J1M
    A law went into effect in the states that says if you release text chat in a program 2019 or later it has to be usable by blind people. Yes, blind people who can't even hope to play the video game must be given fully accessible communication options.

Expect to see more games drop chat and implement big buttons that say "enable accessible menus" on the main screen.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Lead dev died, Ben Irving came on board and ruined everything. Here's your story.
    Apparently this fuck was also responsible for some terrible update in SWToR.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Spukrian Novice

Spukrian

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Heretic Savant

Heretic
    Oh noes, our customers are mean to us and toxxxic! We are not going to talk to them anymore!
    [​IMG]

http://archive.is/PX6z1

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. daveyarsegallant Novice

daveyarsegallant
    For Bioware, "communicating" means them talking and the rest of us dumb plebeians swallowing whatever shit comes out of their mouths. Remember, plebs do not get to talk back to their masters.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)