Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Frostbite is EA's in-house engine. They're going to use it for everything.

Bad engine for RPGs. :M

Eh, engine-wise, there was nothing wrong with Inquisition. Andromeda was the result of bad leadership and inexperienced developers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Jeez why doesn't this FPS engine come fully equipped with everything I need to make a cinematic open world action RPG.

What do they have engineers for?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
when a dev blames someone else for their problems(bioware) and this isnt just surmised by people watching the situation(obsidian) it was actually entirely their fault

Especially when they have 5 years, the source code and more or less infinite money. After 5 years of work, the engine ought pretty much to be entirely their own, unless nobody on the team making the damn game actually understood how the engine worked.

Martius

Liturgist
sixteenNine.img.jpg

I thought Titanfall 2 came out last year?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
10 bucks says this is literally "Bioware makes a Destiny" with some variant of massively massively massively massively multiplayer online 32 person console peer to peer networking filled with microtransactioney goodness.

And it will suck because every time BIoware tries to make gameplay it always sucks.

Last edited:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So it's not even an RPG? Or ARPG? Just an ordinary FPS? Yeah, BioWare is truly dead. After Anthem flops, EA will finally shut them down. RIP.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So it's not even an RPG? Or ARPG? Just an ordinary FPS? Yeah, BioWare is truly dead. After Anthem flops, EA will finally shut them down. RIP.

The next Dragon Age will continue to be what Bioware defines as a role playing game.

imweasel

Bad engine for RPGs. :M
It is always easy to blame others for your own incompetence.

The tools in the Frostbite engine are obviously not made for RPGs, that is why Bioware had to program their own. Apparently they can't even get that right.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
What's point in showing trailer which tells literally nothing expect generic post-apo setting? Am I supposed to be hyped?
I am much dissapointed.
:rpgcodex:

Machocruz

Arcane
B-b-b-but wait. I thought the video game industry was bigger and better than Hollywood now. That's what all the forums say. Why are they still ripping off taking cues from movies then?
:hmmm:

sullynathan

Arcane
Graphics look too good to be true but then again, I haven't seen a frostbite game get downgraded except Andromeda

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
10 bucks says this is literally "Bioware makes a Destiny" with some variant of massively massively massively massively multiplayer online 32 person console peer to peer networking filled with microtransactioney goodness.

And it will suck because every time BIoware tries to make gameplay it always sucks.

Clearly EA panicked and put its storytelling RPG studio onto "omg we must ride the wave of GTA Online/Destiny microtransactions" ASAP at the point where Corey Hudson left. Now we have a tidal way of co-op online shooters to play, exactly what we wanted!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Shame if so, because it actually looked good to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom