Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

deuxhero

Arcane
BioWare has teased Cataclysms as Anthem's hardcore endgame content (similar, perhaps, to Destiny 2's raids), but no one knows what the hell they actually are

I think this is the best part.

J1M

Arcane
In case anyone needs the translation: "We have already moved the important developers off of this aborted game, and while we intend to deliver the content that is mostly finished as a way of salvaging what remains of our reputation and avoiding lawsuits, by the time we do nobody will care. Give us money again next time. -EA"

Steezus

Savant
Patron
How much of an asshole studio do you gotta be to start calling this shit show early access 2 months after retail release.

Vatnik Wumao
Anthem is going to be put out of its misery soon. Maybe Bioware along with it after EA is done salvaging whichever devs are worth keeping from the carcass.

Mustawd

https://www.newsweek.com/anthem-bioware-early-access-1404379
Major 'Anthem' Features Delayed And Game Relabeled "Early Access"

Updated on 4/24: The article and its headline originally stated that Anthem was still in early access due to the line, "It’s been ten weeks since the early access release of Anthem." However, that line was the developer providing a timeline. Early access did launch ten weeks ago, but the full game released nine weeks ago. We removed paragraph stating that and altered our headline. Newsweek regrets the error.

“error”

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Here is a decent article from forbes. You are fucked when even the business magazine are saying that you are fucked.

Source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...nd-this-all-feels-very-very-bad/#4499251c2f92

'Anthem' Delays Its Entire Roadmap, Hasn't Fixed Loot And This All Feels Very, Very Bad
Paul Tassi
Senior Contributor
Games News and opinion about video games, technology and the internet
960x0.jpg

Yesterday was the Red Wedding of news for Anthem. While an update brought some quality of life changes, some buffs and a new Stronghold, BioWare finally said what we all knew what was coming, but perhaps didn’t want to believe.

The entire Anthem roadmap is now delayed. BioWare delivered on practically nothing that was supposed to get here in April other than yesterday’s Stronghold and a live event or two, but now everything else that fans assumed would not be crammed into the final week of the month has indeed been delayed.

That would be things like a mastery system, guilds, leaderboards, various freeplay events, more legendary missions and also May’s Cataclysm, which BioWare will now talk about in May, but it almost certainly won’t be out next month. There is no revised roadmap, there are no new dates or months attached to any of these items, only a statement from BioWare that their mistake was talking about things too soon, and they’d wait to reveal stuff closer to when it was actually ready going forward.

Perhaps most biting was the section about loot in the update post, namely that BioWare knows that loot and progression are a problem, and they are working on fixes yet they have nothing to announce on the topic. No drop rate increases, no additional sources of legendaries, no word on new or missing items. And again, no promised dates for any potential upcoming changes.

This all culminated in one of the most awkward livestreams I’ve ever seen, with a dev/community team playing through the new Stronghold as chat spammed “LOOT” and all other manner of anger and confusion while the community manager explained they would only be talking about Stronghold, and referred everyone to the update post explaining that everything was delayed and loot wasn’t going to be fixed indefinitely. It was painful.

960x0.jpg

I have been one of Anthem’s most prominent optimists, despite my criticism, but something feels different now. The winds have changed. The oxygen has been sucked out of the room. It feels like there may just be too much wrong with Anthem to fix, and even if many loot shooters struggle in their early days, we’re in a spot where things feel worse than we ever saw with Diablo, Destiny or The Division. There is simply no reason to play the game as you can easily go for hours without making an iota of character progress, and if you do play, there is no reason to do anything but GM1 Heart of Rage runs over and over as the only mildly efficient way of getting loot, given current drop rates and the way activities work. There need to be massive changes made to almost every aspect of Anthem outside of its core combat, and I genuinely don’t know if it can be done. If BioWare won’t even do incredibly minor and obvious things like bump the legendary drop rate to appease their remaining players, how can we trust them to fix the much, much larger issues?

This update may have been honest, but it was dispiriting for fans who were hoping for if not fixes themselves, at least a timeline for fixes, but all it did is explain why the previous timeline didn’t pan out (there was too much other stuff to fix), and news that now we really won’t have any idea what fixes are coming or when. Longer term, we have no clear vision of where things are headed. We know Anthem has no DLC or true expansions, so how can it ever have its Taken King or Reaper of Souls moment for a grand turnaround? They can’t continue releasing content in tiny, random chunks like we see with this Stronghold, as that’s just wasting it. But it’s been months and we can’t even get a coherent explanation of what something supposedly concrete and near-term like the Cataclysm is.

In some ways, this feels like the end of the road for Anthem. I cannot predict the future, as the industry has been known to surprise us with comeback stories like No Man’s Sky or Final Fantasy XIV, but between Anthem’s current slate of problems and the fact that this is money-hungry EA and leadership-challenged BioWare we’re talking about here, the odds sure seem heavily stacked against Anthem at the moment, no matter how hard the team may be working to fix a game that clearly should not have been released this year in the first place.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Trackmania might actually be a fun game.

EDIT A DAY LATER:

Tried the demo for Trackmania Lagoon. I was confronted with a web.retard display of options with incomprehensable glyphs and big squares. After giving away my personal data to a third party I adusted graphics and sound to tone down the music and max all the pretty stuff. I couldn't for the life of me find out how to rebind my keys or anything.

So after a few super slow updates on my large pipe I tried to play the game. Single player on a track would be nice but no such options. I hit the only 'Play' button I could find and was in some cheap FPS made for consoles. Very disappointed, I was expecting to be a racing a car in loop-de-loops over a tropical island like Hot Wheels from my childhood days. Okay, I guess it's some sort of shooter game. Maybe I downloaded the wrong demo?

You'd expect in the rare case when some company actually makes a demo these days that they'd want to give the best first impressions they actually can.

Do you remember the days of the Doom demo?

You install, then you get a Main Menu with a simple list of options using English 'words' from the top down reading left to right. No sign-ins, cryptic icons, no excruciatingly slow connections and downloads from the internet. Just basic stuff, like 'New Game', 'Multiplayer', 'Load/Save', 'Options' and 'Quit'.

Anyways, uninstalled, it was a waste of twenty minutes of my Saturday, no big deal.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
"Games Journalists" have apparently finally figured out what's wrong with Anthem: http://archive.is/hEHV5
Before Anthem receives story DLC, BioWare needs to address its obsession with the male ego
By Jason Coles 3 days ago Feature
Anthem has a problem with male ego and it's dragging its storytelling down

BioWare is slowly turning Anthem around. That process certainly hasn't been easy for the studio, but it is at least making good on its commitment to continue supporting the game. In an effort to get Anthem where it needs to be, the studio was forced to admit that it isn't going to achieve all of its Act 1 Calendar goals, pushing back the introduction of elements such as the Cataclysm, Mastery System, Guilds, and phase 2 of the Legendary Missions, along other highly requested features from the community.

BioWare understands that its end-game content isn't where it needs to be, which means it can't possibly begin to take the next steps towards Anthem's evolution – the undercurrent to all of this is that we shouldn't expect to see any story DLC for a little while. And, to be perfectly honest, that probably isn't a bad thing.

Before BioWare even thinks about expanding out the story of Anthem, it should really consider looking at the failings of the base game's narrative and of the instances of male ego that drives the story forward – toxic masculinity which ultimately works to the detriment of the story's core development and resolution.

Vatnik Wumao
Yes, lets talk about storytelling and the male ego when the game is in literal early access and is mechanically a complete mess. Taking down the patriarchy is more important than completing the game. REE.

bat_boro

Arcane
I understand how companies that are pandering to those idiots are going out of business - seems to correlate with the stuff I've studied in Economics 101.

Why and how such game "publications" are still in business though is something that's beyond my understanding

Is that the entire article?

No, it describes the three examples: Haluk the butthurt big guy that you have to drag away from danger in the prologue, Owen the turncoat that didn't want to be the radio guy anymore, and Monitor the bad guy who wants to control the power of creation (the titular Anthem) because his mom told him he was special.

The article gives off this feeling that the author wanted to discuss the archetypes that Bioware keeps using over and over, then decided to add the male ego angle for hate clicks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom