Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any game that can cheer me up?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The first time I met my landlord's dog, was when I was collecting the KFC delivery at the doorstep.
I thought that dog stuffed toy is kinda life-like on the sofa.
It didn't react to me at first, then once my focus shifted from the delivery box towards the 'animal toy' I realized it's actually wagging its tail.

'Hey, buddy. Who're you?'

No response, just more tail wag.
How can I not know that this dog existed? There was no barking at all for two weeks.
So I went back to my room, ready to eat and I can't help but feel wanting to share the good stuff.
Took a chunk of meat off the chicken breast (I don't like it very much, too hard), and walked over to the dog.
Slowly, it began to chew at the meat while wagging its tail.

One year later, it comes over to my room whenever it smells something nice and demands walk when it got bored of indoor living.
This is Choo eating a piece of roasted pork knuckle that I couldn't finish last Sunday.

20160124_180643.jpg

And this is Choo eating chicken wing off Pizza Hut box

Astral Rag

Arcane
If you want fun games try Theme Hospital and Startopia, both business sim games with very fun undertone.
+1 Also, Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2

You can't go wrong with Blood 1 and the aforementioned Duke 3D either.

The original Worms games are great but only when you have a monocled friend around because the game's AI is depressing.

Last edited:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sam & Max season 1-3. They are funny, and not overly difficult, so you probably won't rage at the screen.

Postal 2 is surprisingly cheerful, especially if played in a goofy way, but ah... the first thing your character does is kick a dog, so... I don't know.

Things like Tetris, Bejeweled and so on have been proposed and studied as a treatment for depression. I guess Huniepop would also do the trick :smug:

I would not recommend games you can play absentmindedly or in an "auto mode". Unfortunately, many modern shooters and "game-with-RPG-elements" are like that. Besides, their plots are depressing. That means NO twitchers, Mass Effects, cover shooters, Fallouts 4 or similars. You'll probably just waste hours going from place A to place B all the time doing stupid quests. I would recommend short games of speed and tension that require your conscious attention and spatial intelligence, like Quake 3 (CounterStrike perhaps? I don't know) or, if you want a slow game with tension, Thief 1-2. For a high-speed and funny classic shooter, I think the original Shadow Warrior is also great.

Click & Point adventure games are always recommended, of course.

I'd also play poker, but perhaps that's just me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Saints row 3 and 4 is retardedly hilariously, or hilariously retarded. Either way they're good for a bit of cheering up.

4 more than 3 though.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I think it depends entirely on each person what kind of game he finds soothing or depressing.

Last time I was feeling really shitty and didn't wanna play anything, I fired up Papo & Yo for some reason and I found it pretty relaxing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition
585h

:hmmm:
U sure it was not his death that gave you depression?
I would totaly break myself if I was forced to play this abomination for more than 5h...srsl
Or just replay Psychonauts.
Or play Hitman: Blood Money and wear clown suit to cheer urself.
ToooooooT!

Also you can try Fallout 4... Your dog companion is immortal in this game...:(
Has the man not suffered enough ?!
12631422_940984202644816_1192086296371959982_n.jpg

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Fuck man I know that feelin, personally I just go an work out on me heavy bag, an when i'm done go and sit in dark on me own but horses for courses. Personally for takin me mind of stuff I always like a good action game, such as Rune, Severance, Enclave (middling,) or someat needin all your attention an twitch skills like Volgarr the Viking.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Play Hatred, if killing normies doesn't cheer you up I don't know what will.

Or if you're not a massive edgelord then maybe Metal Gear Rising would or something similar would do. Nothing better for a shitty mood than an intense, sword-slashing action game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom