Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good JRPGs?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
That's about it. That's about all there is in terms of OK gameplay the genre has to offer out of thousands of games.

Not by a long shot, a lot of great JRPGs mentioned in this thread beyond FF, CT and Persona. It's like saying Morrowind is the best RPG ever. It's good and it's mainstream but there is so much more.

barghwata

Savant
Depends what you want.

Inspired by some SRPGs I enjoyed I went through a phase thinking that JRPGs could actually be satisfying routing and class selection, party, or equipment load out puzzles, and they can be, but they too constantly interrupt flow with slow scrolling dialogue, cutscenes etc.

Valkyrie profile 2 remains an exception. You can skip most flow breaking shit there.

If you can tolerate a little interruption then play Final fantasy 3 (Japanese numbering) and 5, Sweet home, Chrono trigger and Nocturne. Those are OK.

That's about it. That's about all there is in terms of OK gameplay the genre has to offer out of thousands of games.

But I don't really know about anything past the PS2 era.

Also if you enjoy story, atmosphere, graphics, music and other larpy shit then maybe there's some more good ones but I just don't care about these things.

JARPGs and SRPGs have a higher hit to miss ratio IMO, so if you want to talk about those I have more recommendations.

Thanks, what JARPG and SRPG recommendations do you have?

Swigen

Arbiter
Buy a Vita and download Corpse Party. You know about Corpse Party? Lemme tell you about Corpse Party! Corpse Party has it all: school girls, ghosts, gore, weird innuendo involving panties, incest, lesbian lust, and urination. It has C&C and multiple E’s. It’s got hanging chicks and malevolent trees. It’s got voice acted dialog and even CG’s. Buy a Vita with Corpse Party, I just know you’ll love it!

CorpseParty.jpg

6217962342_15d89e39fb_z.jpg

1.jpg

barghwata

Savant
Buy a Vita and download Corpse Party. You know about Corpse Party? Lemme tell you about Corpse Party! Corpse Party has it all: school girls, ghosts, gore, weird innuendo involving panties, incest, lesbian lust, and urination. It has C&C and multiple E’s. It’s got hanging chicks and malevolent trees. It’s got voice acted dialog and even CG’s. Buy a Vita with Corpse Party, I just know you’ll love it!

CorpseParty.jpg

1.jpg

Indeed i did watch a playthrough of this game and i liked it very much but never got around to playing it, though if i remember right, it's not really an RPG, no?

Swigen

Arbiter

CorpseParty.jpg

1.jpg

Indeed i did watch a playthrough of this game and i liked it very much but never got around to playing it, though if i remember right, it's not really an RPG, no?

It’s not an rpg in the sense that you don’t level up or battle or grind or whatever but you only do that shit to advance the story and get to the next town in jrpgs anyway. I promise you’re not missing out by not selecting “attack” 600 times against samey monster sprites before being “rewarded” with moving things the fuck along.

barghwata

Savant

CorpseParty.jpg

1.jpg

It’s not an rpg in the sense that you don’t level up or battle or grind or whatever but you only do that shit to advance the story and get to the next town in jrpgs anyway. I promise you’re not missing out by not selecting “attack” 600 times against samey monster sprites before being “rewarded” with moving things the fuck along.

True, grind is a plague to JRPGs, and is only used as a way to virtually stretch the length of games that wouldn't have been worth playing even without grind in the first place.

Swigen

Arbiter

CorpseParty.jpg

1.jpg

True, grind is a plague to JRPGs, and is only used as a way to virtually stretch the length of games that wouldn't have been worth playing even without grind in the first place.

But hey, if you wanna play a regular jrpg with a somewhat compelling battle/magic system that just fucken go’s on and on, check out the Trails in the Sky series which segues into the Trails of Cold Steel series. It’s slow going at first but ends on an excellent cliff hanger and it’s the sorta series you’ll keep going back to like a favorite book/movie series or whatever. Same thing applies though, get a fucken Vita!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Front and rear? Say whaaaaaaaaaa?

Speaking of consoles what about the Neptunia series? Good? Bad? ugly?

Deleted Member 16721

Tactics Ogre, Let Us Cling Together. Deep and challenging SRPG. Lots of interesting characters to recruit, choice and consequence, multiple endings and more. Political intrigue galore.

Suikoden 3, 1, 2, in that order. Suikoden 3 features the Tri Story system, which tells the story from 3 unique main character viewpoints.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Yes, but grinding in JRPGs today is also something that survives as a joke more than an actual practice. I don't remember grinding in JRPGs since, I don't know, SNES and even then it was already on the way out. You have some standout examples in every generation, but I think many people have this mistaken notion of equating random encounters with grinding and that keeps the idea of mandatory grinding alive. If anything JRPGs got hit with the "accessibility hammer" as strongly as western RPGs. Whether you'd argue it was long overdue is a separate matter, though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yep, we've had this discussion a million times, and it boils down to this, with a very few exceptions, no jrpgs require grinding to complete, it's just a crutch for people bad at the combat. The numerous low level and speed runs of these games is proof of that.

hexer

It avoids anime tropes for the most part
That's a definite plus in my book.

Check out Nier Automata then.

Dark Souls trilogy and Planescape Torment are the premier jRPGs on the Codex, followed by the Witcher trilogy and other Bioware games

Haven't PST devs acknowledge FF VII as influence in game's credits?
I remember they have.
Speaking of FF, you can't go wrong with most of the FFs from their Squaresoft days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom