Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Curratum

Now that Bloodstained is easily available on all platforms, it's really not worth it to waste time on any other metroidvanias.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So here is a pretty stupid question.I am wondering is there any point in trying get into metroidvanias if you are not interested into 2d platformers.
Does the exploration element alone give it a big edge over normal platformers?
I've little interest in most 2d platformers, but I'm a huge fan of metroidvanias for this exact reason. If finding powerful upgrades and secret rewards isn't a huge draw for you though, I'd say the genre has little to offer. I enjoyed the Megaman X games a lot for the same reason- sliding down the side of a bottomless deathpit and disappearing inside the wall to find a hidden room that lets you take half damage for the rest of the game or something like that feels awesome in a way that getting the same upgrade dumped in your lap as you explore a mandatory dungeon can't compare. Or getting a grappling hook and remembering the treasure waiting at the other end of a hallway with spikes across the floor.

If you're the kind of person that reads a guide to make sure he didn't miss anything on his first playthrough, it's probably not your thing.

deama

Prophet
So here is a pretty stupid question.I am wondering is there any point in trying get into metroidvanias if you are not interested into 2d platformers.
From my experience metroidvanias are more about exploration to find powerups to help with combat and platforming, usually eventually leading to just having to hold a button to float in the air and/or destroy anything near.
The casltevania branch includes leveling mechanics to make it more interesting, though I don't like leveling mechanics in metroidvanias, makes it too grindy.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Not being interested in a genre doesn't automatically mean you will find no games from this genre worth playing.

I generally don't care much about platformers, but Ori was fucking excellent.

I've little interest in most 2d platformers, but I'm a huge fan of metroidvanias for this exact reason. If finding powerful upgrades and secret rewards isn't a huge draw for you though, I'd say the genre has little to offer. I enjoyed the Megaman X games a lot for the same reason- sliding down the side of a bottomless deathpit and disappearing inside the wall to find a hidden room that lets you take half damage for the rest of the game or something like that feels awesome in a way that getting the same upgrade dumped in your lap as you explore a mandatory dungeon can't compare. Or getting a grappling hook and remembering the treasure waiting at the other end of a hallway with spikes across the floor.
This reminds me of Turricans on the good ol' c64.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Is there any metroidvanias with tb party combat?
Hm!

This is coming out soon:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/421170/Indivisible/

And this might count?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_Profile

Edit:
I'd played the demo of Indivisible and played Valkyrie Profile long time ago, but these two I came across because your question inspired me lol

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274230/RONIN/

That seems like a cool mix of RTw/P and platforming, like a more involved Katana Zero (which was a badass game btw).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1107370/Demoniaca_Everlasting_Night/

That seems like a metroidvania coupled with some sort of combo system, presumably a la fighting games. The overall design looks really goofy and I haven't looked into it much, but I've always wanted a more Devil May Cry style combat in my platformers.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
That seems like a metroidvania coupled with some sort of combo system, presumably a la fighting games. The overall design looks really goofy and I haven't looked into it much, but I've always wanted a more Devil May Cry style combat in my platformers.
Valdis story abyssal city is a kinda DMC + metroidvania mix.

deuxhero

Arcane
There's a DS Castlevania randomizer
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/dsvrandom
Did a few plays of this. It really makes you appreciate underused mechanics (souls, weapons, and even a few key items) in the games when you're forced to rely on them or you get them earlier than you should. Also the optional tweaks make both PoR characters more even.

May also be a GBA one, but I haven't tried it.

Ivan

Arcane
Blasphemous is the new metroidvania hotness. I backed it way back when so that's why I got through it so quickly. Several screenshots in its own thread.

Final thoughts after completing the game

Blasphemous is a solid metroidvania that shares more DNA with the classic Castlevanias than the Igavanias. Core progression is never blocked by abilities and the mechanics are quite simple. Ther aren't any real fancy platforming moves, in that sense it fells very old school. That being said, the first thing you'll note is the setting and the artwork. What impressed me the most are the fantastic death animations and sound work that went to the combat and death cries. The soundtrack is also great, which should come as no surprise if you've played The Last Door. Also, I think it was very smart of the devs to not make this an overly difficult game. Checkpoints are plentiful and many enemies can be skipped past with the slide. Bosses aren't nut crushingly difficult either. I hope this becomes a good seller b/c I'd definitely love to see more content or new projects push this formula further. Some weaknesses and personal gripes I had with the game: platforming ledges are way too sticky, when explorign downwards the camera can become really troublesome and doesn't reset for you to see what's directly below you (usually death spikes), in the final zone fo the game I found that there are too many transition points that begin with too little flooring (this hurts backtracking since I would usually just fall to my death), I really wish there was some consumable to teleport to the mirrors, I wish the map included an NPC symbol (one symbol could be re-used for the NPCs spread across the world), it isn't 100% clear which enemy projectiles you can and cannot deflect (I think I saw at least two boss fights where it was possible to deflect projectiles), I wish there were FEWER but more gameplay altering relics (defense buffs are kinda boring).

All in all, another great kickstarter success. Really happy for the devs and I truly believe this will have strong legs for people to check out in the future. Not a instant classic like Hollow Knight, but a damn fine first attempt at this, especially considering the type of game this dev was known for prior to this project.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Axiom Verge 2 just announced. Only for Switch at the moment, but I hope it goes multiplatform like the first part

RoSoDude

Arcane
Interesting. It looks like he's introducing Zelda-style items for combat in place of the Metroid-style but sidegrade beams. Also more freedom of movement with e.g. ledge grabbing? Could be cool.

One thing I will say, though, is the visuals look pretty muddy here; nothing is outlined and some of the textures have little shading or depth.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The style of the visuals looks like a bit of a departure from the first part, less scifi and more old, ancient world. Not sure how I feel about it yet, I would need to see more

RoSoDude

Arcane
As a bizarre coincidence I am also playing Hollow Knight at exactly the same time, two years after release. The Codex may expect an unnecessary essay on it upon my completion of the game. Bosses have been the highlight of the experience so far, though there's a lot more to like.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Really? Seemed bland to me. The light itself was obviously totally irrelevant and they didn't really show any interesting content, just whaling on a simple boss that doesn't move and the simple corridor leading up to him. Along with the old standby of 'you can't criticize our shitty art if it's too dark to see it LOL'
As a Dark Hunter you were dropped into a wreaked world. To survive, you need to equip yourself, fight through your way, collecting ‘shards’ from killing super nature creatures to reinforce your energy. Through surviving, you will explore the mysterious dark zones of the apocalypse world.

Yeah, I'll uh, pass on that thanks.

Mind Seize and Bushiden both looked pretty nice and I liked the music in Flynn, will check those 3 out at some point.

spekkio

Arcane
Flynn's gameplay looks interesting too (check the "Top 18 Awesum" Video above).

And Foregone is out (Early Access) if somebody wants to test it. Heard it's Epic Store only, but IDK nothing about that. ;)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Mind Size is out on Steam already but seems a bit buggy according to the reviews

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom