Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any ideas on action adventure framework?

nomask7

Arcane
Could be 2D, top down or isometric, or 3D.

What I want:

- idea implementation shouldn't take much effort or skill, so while I could see myself creating a monster AI template, I don't want to have to figure out how to implement that into the framework

- preferably has a greatly customisable monster AI template inbuilt and ready to go

- I need monsters that behave like the wolves, lizards, and other simple monsters in Gothic 2 (i.e. states like "provoked by player presence but not hostile", stuff like "when provoked enough by player presence, become hostile", "stop attacking after a while and return to provoked / stationary state", "when no longer provoked or hostile, return to location) this feature is a must

- obviously another absolute necessity is simple to modify speed, hitpoints, damage, range, and other basic values for monsters and NPCs

- preferably ability to create a big continuous world that doesn't kill modern computers due to performance issues (or at least big areas that can only be accessed - not via world map - but by travelling through other big areas)

- easy to write multi choice dialogue

- easy to create branching story lines

- easy to create basic items and quest items and weapons and armor

- easy to create quests

- last but not least, super easy to create levels / maps

Some other basic stuff like UI and map templates.

Shouldn't be too much to ask, but from what I can tell, there's nothing like this available.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Shouldn't be too much to ask

Umm . . .

Can't be much harder to create a program like this than it was to create a lot of the game creation software that people enjoy using, let alone an inventive AAA game title.

With the popularity of RPG Maker on one hand, and Oblivion and Zelda on the other, you'd think anyone from big companies to lone modders would be interested in creating one. One that would go a bit beyond what most people would require of it, but as I write this, I realise that's probably a pipe dream as far as commercial products go, because the number one rule of capitalism is "include only the most popular features whatever you do".

So yes, obviously there are a few programs that do almost all of these things, but are basically for people who cannot into anything slightly original and won't miss some of the missing features.

BTW, I should look into Stencyl more. It looks a bit effort intensive as well as geared for creating small scale flash games but maybe my impression is incorrect.

But fuck this gay earth, there should be something a lot better around and I'm kind of hoping there is and it's just not popular enough for some reason to immediately come up in google. Good frameworks / kits for otherwise popular software can sometimes be difficult to find, hidden among the dozens of similar projects that are seriously lacking in some fashion. Nobody run into what I'm looking for? Seriously?

I had a look at plygame and it looks pretty interesting but it doesn't have a built in conversation editor. This plugin is compatible with plygame but I don't know if it'll have all the features you need. Only problem is these things aren't free.

Oh, and branching story lines are never easy to make ;)

nomask7

Arcane
You could start with plyGame (Unity kit), maybe, and modify it further yourself:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9694
http://plyoung.com/plygame/

Mind you, I've only heard about it; I don't have any experience with game development.

It's an interesting find if you want to make an indie-quality Diablo-like, but isn't really sufficient for my purposes. The monster "AI" variables it has are limited to walking speed, running speed, turning speed, and idle behaviour (stay, wander, patrol, follow). Ugh...

He intends to add a quest and dialogue system of some sort but the AI stuff already killed it for me.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Code your own AI you lazy fuck. It's not like coding some lizard to growl at you takes that much work in gamemaker (or unity, I'd imagine).

nomask7

Arcane
Code your own AI you lazy fuck. It's not like coding some lizard to growl at you takes that much work in gamemaker (or unity, I'd imagine).

Is there any guide though that tells you how to add it to one of these frameworks? Because I have no clue how to do it.

I also don't know how to code anything else, I'm just assuming I might be able to figure out a simple thing like some simple AI coding.

I do need a framework of some sort, because otherwise the magnitude of the project in other respects will just crush me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom