Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any recent games that will satisfy that ToEE craving?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I've played through The Temple of Elemental Evil twice so far this year. Damn, I love that game. Unfortunately, while I still find myself hungering for awesome turn-based RPG fun, I don't really fancy a third play-through at the moment.

I've already played the Gold Box games, Ruins of Myth Drannor, and Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics so many times that none of those are really appealing to me right now, either.

Are there any more recent games that might scratch that ToEE itch? (It doesn't necessarily have to be D&D based.)

For example, I've heard that Pillars of Eternity 2 has a turn-based mode now. Is it any good?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
For example, I've heard that Pillars of Eternity 2 has a turn-based mode now. Is it any good?

It's probably the closest and contrary to the edgelords, the game is decent. Certainly better than the first one. I played it in RTwP and may do a turn-based run at some point.

If the Kingmaker TB mod is good, that may be indeed another option.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Grotesque Tactics
Grotesque Tactics 2
Holy Avatar vs. Maidens of the Dead

This, once you've played Knights of the Chalice twice, picked Pathfinder on sale (the TB mod still lacks a few ToEE features but the character creation/dev is good) and despaired, you might want to try these.

It's not exactly on ToEE level but since you mentioned D&D Tactics, Grotesque Tactics 2 is quite good, just know it's a parody with good TB combat and some huge monsters.
I liked the first one too, Evil Heroes too but it's extremely buggy and i had a recurrent crash in a cave not far in and apparently, there's not much to do if you get that bug.
Didn't like the third one at all.

Also and before you play GT2, there is a good Fantasy General-like, Warbanners, it's a tactical, mission based with handcrafted encounters, sieges, great battles, some unique heroes, very good.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Deadfire is a good game, but it is meant to be played RTwP. I do not recommend its turn-based mode.

Since you mentioned non-D&D games: In addition to the games listed, I have heard good things about Voidspire Tactics and its subsequent fantasy-counterpart, Alvora Tactics. I have not played them myself yet so I cannot personally vouch for them, but I have invariably read that the combat is very enjoyable despite the flimsy presentation.

Note, this series is not to be confused with Craig Stern's Telepath Tactics (a game I know little about).

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Deadfire is a good game, but it is meant to be played RTwP. I do not recommend its turn-based mode.

Since you mentioned non-D&D games: In addition to the games listed, I have heard good things about Voidspire Tactics and its subsequent fantasy-counterpart, Alvora Tactics. I have not played them myself yet so I cannot personally vouch for them, but I have invariably read that the combat is very enjoyable despite the flimsy presentation.

Note, this series is not to be confused with Craig Stern's Telepath Tactics (a game I know little about).

Deadfire is the worst RPG I've played for a very long time.

Harthwain

Magister
I'd say Pillars of Eternity was worse. Deadfire was a slight improvement by comparison. I still wouldn't recommend either, but if one has to pick Deadfire is lesser evil. The biggest problem (or the biggest selling point, depending on one's taste) is that Deadfire is centered around piratey themes, so be mindful of that too.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I'd say Pillars of Eternity was worse. Deadfire was a slight improvement by comparison. I still wouldn't recommend either, but if one has to pick Deadfire is lesser evil. The biggest problem (or the biggest selling point, depending on one's taste) is that Deadfire is centered around piratey themes, so be mindful of that too.

Plot is boring, fights are boring, piracy is wrong.

And there is no Kraken. Where is the Kraken from the fucking loading screen I've been looking at 100 times? You could just design a combat encounter where every tentacle is a separate enemy and the head is the boss. Even this arcade shit would be better.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I've played Deadfire from the start to the end, about 70 hours I guess. What do you mean?

Well, okay then. There is a Kraken, with a boss fight exactly like you describe, but you might have missed the relevant side quest.

Not that it would have changed your verdict, I suppose. Props to you for sticking with the worst RPG you've played in a long time for a whopping 70 hours.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, okay then. There is a Kraken, with a boss fight exactly like you describe, but you might have missed the relevant side quest.

Fuck. This is really weird.

ee0a6c3593189033427e860130ed9ced.jpg

Props to you for sticking with the worst RPG you've played in a long time for a whopping 70 hours.

I thought something is wrong with me, not with the gaem I backed!

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I've played through The Temple of Elemental Evil twice so far this year. Damn, I love that game. Unfortunately, while I still find myself hungering for awesome turn-based RPG fun, I don't really fancy a third play-through at the moment.

I've already played the Gold Box games, Ruins of Myth Drannor, and Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics so many times that none of those are really appealing to me right now, either.

Are there any more recent games that might scratch that ToEE itch? (It doesn't necessarily have to be D&D based.)

Nothing will satisfy your need there, the only thing you should consider by now and what you really need is playing real pen and paper game online using roll 20 or much better fantasy grounds. I wont lie its extremely hard to find a good DM and good group, but you'll end up to get either with much efforts. It's a lot more satisfying than the sad offer we get as crpg. Things have not Evolved since TOE and not much more since gold box games even.
Now the side effect is if you do that is you'll turn even more jaded and unsatisfied , people wont understand you why you rage over a tun based mode on a rtwp game.

Max Damage

Savant
Knights of the Chalice is the closest similar experience to ToEE I've ever had, shame there're very few classes and summoning is butchered + no Grease/tripping/druid spells. But encounter design is much better.

Dyspaire

Cipher

For what it's worth, Deadfire 5.0 using turn-based combat mode is the most fun I've had with a crpg in at least a decade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom