Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Anyone beat Grimoire? Have you divined its systems?

howlingFantods

Learned
Grimoire on the codex is analogous to Finnegan's Wake on /lit/.
A lot of people talk about it, but almost nobody has finished it.

Prove me wrong; I could use some pointers

Edit: Crispy has some good pointers actually so ignore that part if you want, but I'd like to hear from someone who beat the game as well. (Not sure if Crispy did or not; wouldn't be surprised)

Last edited:

Boddler

Educated
Choose a start that makes you overpowered for the content.

Accept an NPC into the party that makes you overpowered for the content.

Roleplay a pleasurable feeling of being a powerful fantasy party in a magical fantasy land.

Clean up with tissues.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Edit: Crispy has some good pointers actually so ignore that part if you want, but I'd like to hear from someone who beat the game as well. (Not sure if Crispy did or not; wouldn't be surprised)
Many are called to Grimoire, but only a select few are fit enough to be chosen. All according to the thals' plan.

FmV08bE.png

EZel7Jg.png

howlingFantods

Learned
Well Zed, this is a sight I never thought I'd see.
You basically transcended the whole blobber genre by...
I'm at a loss. Only on the codex could you find someone who has beaten Grimoire.

Out of curiosity have you beaten Wizardry iv as well?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Your party will be saved here in a special format that can be imported into the next game." You better hold onto your saves for the next 25 years.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Multiple people here have beaten it, my endgame screencap is buried somewhere in the megathread. You don't need the overpowered NPCs to do it.

What do you need pointers with? Not sure my knowledge is up to date, though, as it's been about a year since I played it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Well Zed, this is a sight I never thought I'd see.
You basically transcended the whole blobber genre by...
I'm at a loss. Only on the codex could you find someone who has beaten Grimoire.
Viata was the first person on the Codex --- possibly the world --- to complete Grimoire, followed by felipepepe, myself, and others. If you have any questions, you can post them here or in the Grimoire gameplay and hints thread.

Dorateen

Arcane
According to Grimoire's Adventure Statistics, I've completed 72% of the global map. I have seven of the nine tablets. So I figure our party is almost there. Since I play mostly on the weekends (like running a good old D&D campaign) it will probably take me another month to finish.

The highest single class character in the party is a 12th level cleric, but he is just about ready to switch to Templar. The others have varying amounts of multi-classes, some triple or even quadruple classed.

I had to backtrack a bit and right now I'm in the Ruins of Gideon fighting star spawn-like cosmic aberrations.

The game, if not better than Wizardry 7, at least compares favorably. And I can think of no greater praise than that.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
According to Grimoire's Adventure Statistics, I've completed 72% of the global map. I have seven of the nine tablets. So I figure our party is almost there. Since I play mostly on the weekends (like running a good old D&D campaign) it will probably take me another month to finish.

The highest single class character in the party is a 12th level cleric, but he is just about ready to switch to Templar. The others have varying amounts of multi-classes, some triple or even quadruple classed.

I had to backtrack a bit and right now I'm in the Ruins of Gideon fighting star spawn-like cosmic aberrations.

The game, if not better than Wizardry 7, at least compares favorably. And I can think of no greater praise than that.

Ok I'm drunk as shyt so I'm sorry

But

MULTICLASSING

BACK WHEN I PLAYED GRIMOIRE THERE WAS NO MULTICLASSING

You picked one class and you goddamn stuck with that class till the end

So I'm sorry my berserker isn't ad hip or cool as your wgatever-class-combo

but damn if he wasn't OG as fuck

So yeah

mondblut

Arcane
Multiple people here have beaten it, my endgame screencap is buried somewhere in the megathread. You don't need the overpowered NPCs to do it.

Why settle for overpowered NPCs when you can have overpowered PCs?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

At least 1000+ people have completed Grimoire, including piracy of the game. Most people average more than 100 hours finishing it and some are still playing it after 300 hours reporting much left to explore.

That 100 hours is not just hack and slash Roguelike filler ... very rich in discovery and narrative until the bitter end ... easily making Grimoire one the biggest RPGs to ever be released other than Wizardry 7. If you take your time, 600 hours of play is in there for sure or soon will be with V2.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Took over 20 years to develop, it will take 20 more to understand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom