Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Apex Legends - F2P Battle Royale set in the Titanfall Universe by Respawn

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Durandal, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Durandal Arcane

Infinitron
    https://archive.fo/1f8T6

no wallrunning
    no doublejumping
    only slow

[​IMG]

• decline decline x 2
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. illuknisaa Savant

Infinitron
    I don't wanna play a laggy game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Squadcar Learned

Infinitron
    I figured no Titans but no wallrunning or double jumps sounds like a let down... It's free to play though so that must mean some monetization will be included. But that also means you can try it out and see how it actually works without spending money, just some time. Assuming that you don't have a download cap.

Anyone played it yet?

^ Top  
  4. Alienman Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Why are the animations in 20 fps?

And lol @ the super diversity.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Gerrard Arcane

Infinitron
    What is the point of this? Who is so hung up on this universe that they keep getting funding for this?

^ Top  
  6. SpaceWizardz Learned

Infinitron
    What a gigantic waste of the developer's time and resources.

They couldn't even keep in the things that made Titanfall unique, why the hell would anyone play this?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Squadcar Learned

Infinitron
    Probably right. The game will likely be short lived and forgotten soon.

^ Top  
  8. Insect Hordes Educated

Infinitron
    Killing shitass anthem with another shitass game.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Puteo Learned

Infinitron
    I played one game and well, it's definitely the best Battle Royale game I've ever played.

The problem is, that's not really saying much.

^ Top  
  10. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Infinitron
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So is this game actually fun???

Honestly if it was proper free to play Titanfall with no pay 2 win lootboxes I'd be mildly happy, the Titanfall combat engine is great. If being the operative word.

^ Top  
  11. Puteo Learned

Infinitron
    Since it's free I would just recommend trying it yourself, I only had time for one game but the gameplay seems solid and miles ahead of the rest of the Battle Royale trash.

That said, I feel like the battle royale dynamic is inherently a pyramid scheme where the winners take the vast majority of the enjoyment and the whole exercise is largely just gambling on many levels.

I'm still going to give it a few more tries though and see if I can get hooked on this fad. After ATOM I don't really have any good games left to play.

^ Top  
  12. Solid Snail Learned

Infinitron
    The world has better ideas than Respawn.

^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

Infinitron
    Here is what the devs said about the marketing,or the lack of.
    [​IMG]

From the looks of it the game is a call of duty with teams.

^ Top  
  14. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

Infinitron
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This. The only reason I would try this is the big ass robots you could drive in Titanfall. As it is now, this is just a generic shooter.

^ Top  
  15. Loostreaks Learned

Infinitron
    Seems Respawn is going the same road as Raven Soft with Activision...promising dev made to churn out soulless products made strictly for $.
    People at Bioware must be pissed though. :P

^ Top  
  16. msxyz Savant

Infinitron
    Well, it seems EA is trying hard to kill Bioware. They release another multiplayer shooter (albeit a bit different in scope and gameplay) at the same time. Maybe EA managers believe to have all the bases covered with this move but, matter of fact, the best of the two will cannibalize also the audience of the other, not to mention that the scene is already pretty crowded as it is. There are already several threads on Reddit and in many forums that all basically convey this message: "Apex is better than Anthem, don't waste time playing that". Add that Apex is f2p and I don't see a bright future for Anthem or for Bioware as a whole...

^ Top  
  17. frajaq Arbiter

Infinitron
    giving it a download to see how bad it is/if it runs on potato PCs

^ Top  
  18. you know what time it is Arcane

Infinitron
    Unlike most BRs it's very well optimized. The gameplay feels like the recent CoD (movement and pace wise) with weird ass guns which leads to a weird ass gunplay... I played shooters my whole life at a fairly competitive level, even in recent, more laid back years I still got to global in CS and to gm in Overwatch, yet I got 0 kills in first 7 games, so that was both annoying and refreshing at the same time. On a plus side, the loading takes only a few seconds and pre-game lobby shenanigans take up about 10 to 15 seconds which is a huge improvement compared to others.

There's a bunch of characters (8 I think), each got an ability and "ult" that slowly builds up over time and damage (not sure about that one actually). Almost all of those skills are utility and work for anyone, i.e. one of the chicks summons a stationary healbot with small "aura" of (slow) healing, if enemies are in its radius they will benefit from free heals as well.

For F2P it's really good (all of the paid stuff is skins, that you can get just by playing, akin to OW), but even though the basics are fairly decent it's very barebones outside of basic gameplay - no stats, leaderboards etc. Squads are limited to 3 people as well, which is quite a bummer, still the game's worth a try tho. Was honestly suprised by the quality of the product, didn't expect that from EA of all people.

^ Top  
  19. Devoidless Literate

Infinitron
    Imagine if someone took Fortnite and Overwatch and fuckin' slammed them together until they became one entity.
    That's Apex Legends.
    And, by god, do I not enjoy Fortnite or Overwatch.

I would have been happier with Titanfall 3 but, you know, that wouldn't have made millions in micro-transactions for lootboxes, outfits and season passes.

^ Top  
  20. Puteo Learned

Infinitron
    After playing some more; the whole battle royale concept is cancer.

Going from Titanfall 2 to this is the definition of decline.

The biggest positive of it is that it kills a ton of time and keeps you mildly amused. Overall, not much more enriching than getting high and watching music videos for hours on end.

^ Top  
  21. Okagron Prophet

Infinitron
    Yay, another fucking Battle Royale game AND character shooter. Do we really need more of these? I say no.

^ Top  
  22. RapineDel Savant

Infinitron
    I have to say, elsewhere on the internet Titanfall 2 is the most overrated FPS campaign I've played. I kept reading how it was one of the greatest campaigns ever so I gave it a shot and it was just everything wrong with modern shooters. Level design, weapons and enemies were all generic and boring, the whole "best campaign ever" came from set pieces and a single mission that was similar to that mission in Dishonored 2 where you go in and out of a certain time period. Given that I'm not surprised they went down this road.

The interesting part is this was released with no marketing, is F2P and yet supposedly had a smoother launch then the Anthem demo. Anthem is a full priced title filled with micro-transactions as well, I know they're different genres but it seems hard to justify coming from the same publisher.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Squadcar Learned

Infinitron
    Apparently they didn't like how the game played with 4. I can't remember what they said exactly but I think team fights were too chaotic and they want them to be a bit more planned or strategic or something.

Because people don't usually remember older games. This is especially true for reviewers who have to play so many games to keep up with everyone they forget that there were similar games 3 years ago. They'll say "WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR FOREVER" and junk but a game just like it came out a year or two ago. Either they missed it in the pile of games they play halfway through or they forgot because they played a pile of games halfway through and can't even remember which ones they played.

I'll say I thought the campaign had some high points but it is definitely overrated by people.

^ Top  
  24. Reinhardt Arcane

Infinitron
    Or they don't play games at all.

^ Top  
  25. ViolentOpposition Arcane

Infinitron
    Well polished game, but I'm far more used to the more realistic, quicker Time-To-Kill in PUBG, R6 etc. Makes ambushes less deadly since they can turn around and fight back.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)