Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Appropriate games to play during the coronavirus crisis

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Here's a few,

Tiberian Sun - dark, gloomy Earth and eternal resource wars, great soundtrack
Alpha Centauri - colonists leaving doomed Earth behind to start anew
Stalker - obvious reasons, desolation and survival
Resident Evil 2 - zombies and state of emergency, scarcity of resources

Falksi

Arcane
H2x1_NES_DrMario.jpg

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I'm checking out Animal Crossing to see what all the fuss is about.

Alpha Centauri - colonists leaving doomed Earth behind to start anew

I'm interested to learn more after seeing the thread about the recent Codex game starting up again.

Alphons

Cipher
Doom

Also 2 first Dead Risings are all about shopping in the mall while avoiding infected.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Please elaborate.

At nine years old when it was first released, Alpha Centauri was my introduction to philosophy (obviously I was still in the process of actually learning English then, but I was precocious when it came to the English language and could still understand quite a bit). I liked it when I was nine; I loved it when I was fourteen. Certainly it is a deep strategy game on its own right, but what contributes to its longevity today is the way it explores possible future paths of human technology and society on an alien planet. The factions are separated by ideology. Every technology and wonder is accompanied by a quote or text, often by philosophers and theorists, informing the motivation of that development (Civilization IV copied this, but with far less weight). The planet is not just a game board, but also a sentient, active participant in the form of commentary, environmental damage and response, climate change, and the game's version of "barbarians."; one of the victory conditions involves interfacing with it. All of this is presented in a somber, muted, even claustrophobic visual interface.

Dune is a great piece of science fiction that can be read as entertainment. But like all great science fiction it is also an examination of future society, the politics of which in Dune's case is dominated by the characteristics and the ecology of the planet it takes place in. Not to spoil the book, but it is permeated with that sense of exploration. It is successful in demanding active participation from its reader. Such is the case with Alpha Centauri, where, at least for the first time you play it, you discover a tech or build a wonder, then the game invites you to actually think about what it means.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
That one where the protags mask makes him look like he's grinning all the time...

Lone Survivor!

iu

Last edited:

Turuko

Learned
Thing is that on one hand we are on full lockdown with the police patrolling the streets
On the other hand it's spring, beautiful sunny days, the smell of flowers blossoming, nature taking a deep breath, everything looks lush, promising and full of life + the days are getting longer longer

something silly-distopic

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind also, seeing how wandering around Red Mountain during blight storms is an equivalent to having swamp fever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom