Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Appropriate games to play during the coronavirus crisis

If you want to trend towards the whimsy instead of leaning into angst, I've been replaying Day of the Tentacle, Psychonauts, and Full Throttle and having a great time. Played all three to death, but each time I boot one of them up I forget about the dumpsterfire outside my house and get a solid hour of carefree chuckles. Grim Fandango and Sam and Max Hit the Road are up next.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
If you want to really immerse yourself, you can play Underrail and eat this:

b0eea961d6.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Here's a few,

Tiberian Sun - dark, gloomy Earth and eternal resource wars, great soundtrack
Alpha Centauri - colonists leaving doomed Earth behind to start anew
Stalker - obvious reasons, desolation and survival
Resident Evil 2 - zombies and state of emergency, scarcity of resources
Actually I try to replay subnautica. But, probably best way is to clean your house slowly, and stay home.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Dishonored is set during a time of plague, and you can play it in a way that makes it worse...

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Please elaborate.

At nine years old when it was first released, Alpha Centauri was my introduction to philosophy (obviously I was still in the process of actually learning English then, but I was precocious when it came to the English language and could still understand quite a bit). I liked it when I was nine; I loved it when I was fourteen. Certainly it is a deep strategy game on its own right, but what contributes to its longevity today is the way it explores possible future paths of human technology and society on an alien planet. The factions are separated by ideology. Every technology and wonder is accompanied by a quote or text, often by philosophers and theorists, informing the motivation of that development (Civilization IV copied this, but with far less weight). The planet is not just a game board, but also a sentient, active participant in the form of commentary, environmental damage and response, climate change, and the game's version of "barbarians."; one of the victory conditions involves interfacing with it. All of this is presented in a somber, muted, even claustrophobic visual interface.

Dune is a great piece of science fiction that can be read as entertainment. But like all great science fiction it is also an examination of future society, the politics of which in Dune's case is dominated by the characteristics and the ecology of the planet it takes place in. Not to spoil the book, but it is permeated with that sense of exploration. It is successful in demanding active participation from its reader. Such is the case with Alpha Centauri, where, at least for the first time you play it, you discover a tech or build a wonder, then the game invites you to actually think about what it means.

Great explanation. Now I'm more interested in learning to play Alpha Centauri.

Black Angel

Arcane
Please elaborate.

At nine years old when it was first released, Alpha Centauri was my introduction to philosophy (obviously I was still in the process of actually learning English then, but I was precocious when it came to the English language and could still understand quite a bit). I liked it when I was nine; I loved it when I was fourteen. Certainly it is a deep strategy game on its own right, but what contributes to its longevity today is the way it explores possible future paths of human technology and society on an alien planet. The factions are separated by ideology. Every technology and wonder is accompanied by a quote or text, often by philosophers and theorists, informing the motivation of that development (Civilization IV copied this, but with far less weight). The planet is not just a game board, but also a sentient, active participant in the form of commentary, environmental damage and response, climate change, and the game's version of "barbarians."; one of the victory conditions involves interfacing with it. All of this is presented in a somber, muted, even claustrophobic visual interface.

Dune is a great piece of science fiction that can be read as entertainment. But like all great science fiction it is also an examination of future society, the politics of which in Dune's case is dominated by the characteristics and the ecology of the planet it takes place in. Not to spoil the book, but it is permeated with that sense of exploration. It is successful in demanding active participation from its reader. Such is the case with Alpha Centauri, where, at least for the first time you play it, you discover a tech or build a wonder, then the game invites you to actually think about what it means.
I just bought the Planetary Pack on GOG which happened to be 75% off thanks to this post.

I installed PRACX to get widescreen resolution and scient unofficial patch v2, and yet my game has been crashing even though I just started a new scenario. My laptop is an ancient piece of rig that died twice and is currently in its 3rd life, at first it was Windows 7 and now it's Windows 8.1 so maybe it got something to do with that?
Anyway, I'll try playing the patched game later on my brother's brand new PC, but is there any fix to this?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I get the "trying to save 1% of the population from death by staying home" thing, but I have no idea why people are hoarding toilet paper and ground beef because of it. This reminds me of collecting stupid shit like flags in Assassin's Creed, so my suggestion is... an Ubisoft pointless collect-a-thon.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
I just bought the Planetary Pack on GOG which happened to be 75% off thanks to this post.

I installed PRACX to get widescreen resolution and scient unofficial patch v2, and yet my game has been crashing even though I just started a new scenario. My laptop is an ancient piece of rig that died twice and is currently in its 3rd life, at first it was Windows 7 and now it's Windows 8.1 so maybe it got something to do with that?
Anyway, I'll try playing the patched game later on my brother's brand new PC, but is there any fix to this?

I am glad to hear you bought the game.

Did you install PRACX before installing an unofficial patch? I believe PRACX requires one to be installed before its own installation, since it works by patching the game executable. That may be the reason it is crashing.

The following install order worked for me (just made a fresh reinstall on my current, Windows 10 rig from 2015 -- bless single CD games from 1998!):

1) Install GOG copy.
2) Install Yitzi's patch 3.5 - http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=346
3) Install Yitzi's patch 3.5d - http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=352.
4) Install PRACX (current version 1.11) - https://github.com/DrazharLn/pracx/releases
5) Start the game, Quick Start to see if the game loads.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
The following install order worked for me (just made a fresh reinstall on my current, Windows 10 rig from 2015 -- bless single CD games from 1998!):

1) Install GOG copy.
2) Install Yitzi's patch 3.5 - http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=346
3) Install Yitzi's patch 3.5d - http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=352.
4) Install PRACX (current version 1.11) - https://github.com/DrazharLn/pracx/releases
5) Start the game, Quick Start to see if the game loads.
Aren't Yitzi's patch meant only for Alien Crossfire (SMAX)?

But yeah, I installed PRACX *before* scient's, so maybe that's the problem.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Aren't Yitzi's patch meant only for Alien Crossfire (SMAX)?

But yeah, I installed PRACX *before* scient's, so maybe that's the problem.

Yes, Yitzi requires SMAX, but scient should also work. For me it's really a matter of preference as it's still possible to play SMAX with only the vanilla factions.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Wasn't Neverwinter Nights about a plague or something? I was too young to care

Yes, the plague features in the first (and worst) act of a terrible campaign. You probably just repressed it.

Black Angel

Arcane
Yes, Yitzi requires SMAX, but scient should also work. For me it's really a matter of preference as it's still possible to play SMAX with only the vanilla factions.
It's still crashing even though I've installed the unofficial patch before PRACX, but it seems there's a cause.

Basically I tried playing a Build scenario where I'm to use a Former unit, build a node network, then claim an alien artifact to the north. I'm starting with 2 base buildings, as a continuation of previous Explore scenario, and the second building always spawn a Scout unit. And this is where the game keeps crashing.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Basically I tried playing a Build scenario where I'm to use a Former unit, build a node network, then claim an alien artifact to the north. I'm starting with 2 base buildings, as a continuation of previous Explore scenario, and the second building always spawn a Scout unit. And this is where the game keeps crashing.

I tried the same scenario just now, but it seems fine for me. Sorry, I am not sure what the problem may be. The only other fix I installed was Fixed SMAX 2.0 Sound Files which I found out about from a reddit post after looking into your problem, but it should not be necessary as it's just a bunch of wav files.

crakkie

Arcane
Fall from Heaven

“Father abandoned child, wife husband, one brother another; for this illness seemed to strike through the breath and sight. And so they died. And none could be found to bury the dead for money or friendship. Members of a household brought their dead to a ditch as best they could, without priest, without divine offices ... great pits were dug and piled deep with the multitude of dead. And they died by the hundreds both day and night... And as soon as those ditches were filled more were dug ... And I, Agnolo di Tura, called the Fat, buried my five children with my own hands. And there were also those who were so sparsely covered with earth that the dogs dragged them forth and devoured many bodies throughout the city. There was no one who wept for any death, for all awaited death. And so many died that all believed it was the end of the world.”

Vatnik Wumao
Darkest Dungeon. Besides the aesthetic and the dungeon hoarding, it also encapsulates the general stances of people towards the epidemic through its stress check results. :^)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dead State
Walking Dead
State of Decay
Dying Light
Dead Island
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 3 Remake

Alphons

Cipher
Morrowind takes place in a quarantined province of TES China. Disease also is called Corona Corprus and there's no known cure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom