Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Arcanum called shots.

Black

Arcane
Does anyone know what are the exact mechanics behind targeted attacks in Arcanum? Penalties, crit effects?

Help me Drogg, you're my only hope.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't think 95% of players ever used Arcanum's aimed shots. Or even know it's there.

Black

Arcane
Well duh, but this is where the 5% gather, isn't it?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Does anyone know what are the exact mechanics behind targeted attacks in Arcanum? Penalties, crit effects?
From what I remember aiming for the head causes damage plus reduced perception, aiming for the body causes damage plus armor damage, aiming for the legs causes damage plus reduced dexterity.
This is just by some superficial observation I can't guarantee is correct and I don't know the exact dynamics, people that took a look at the program files could offer a better answer.

Black

Arcane
Only scrubs play with magick.
Btw, still waiting for Per's full Arcanum guide.

Last edited:

Topher

Cipher
For fucks sakes...

Arcanum Players Guide (pg.60)

"Called shots are more difficult to perform than ordinary attacks... and thus incur a certain penalty (*Specific penalties are not noted). Any Called Shot which does connect with the target... has a greater chance of being a critical success, and when such critical blows are delivered the game makes use of a special table to calculate damage, this damage is based on the location of the wound. Called shots to the head have a greater chance of knocking the opponent unconscious, while Called Shots to the arms and legs have a better chance of crippling limbs. Armor worn in those areas will help protect against these blows..."

<,> Head
<.> Arms
</> Legs

gunman

Arcane
Developer
In my experience called shots can do more harm than good, since they lower the to hit chance, and the lower the to hit chance is, the higher is the chance of a devastating critical miss. So unless you have >100% chance to hit, called shots are very risky, and by the time you get 100% to hit, you can kill pretty much everything without bothering with aiming hits.

TimCain

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Perhaps I can help.

The called shot penalties for head, arms and legs are -50, -30 and -30, respectively.

All called shots provide +10% better chance than non-called shots for generic effects, like doing bonus damage. Otherwise, the effects are as follows:
  • head with no helmet: +25% stun, +25% knocked out, +15% blinded (in addition to all other effects, like crushing or electrical damage has increases for stunning or knockout)
  • head with helmet: No bonus chance to stun or knock out, but +10% to blind. Plus, if doing crushing damage, 15% chance to knock off the helmet.
  • leg: +10% crippled leg, +25% knocked down (bipeds only)
  • arm: +10% crippled arm

Black

Arcane
Perhaps I can help.

The called shot penalties for head, arms and legs are -50, -30 and -30, respectively.

All called shots provide +10% better chance than non-called shots for generic effects, like doing bonus damage. Otherwise, the effects are as follows:
  • head with no helmet: +25% stun, +25% knocked out, +15% blinded (in addition to all other effects, like crushing or electrical damage has increases for stunning or knockout)
  • head with helmet: No bonus chance to stun or knock out, but +10% to blind. Plus, if doing crushing damage, 15% chance to knock off the helmet.
:love:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Perhaps I can help.

Jesus-Picture-In-Heaven-With-Angels-Blowing-Trumpets.jpg

Ladonna

Arcane
Thank you Tim. I have played this game so often, using called shots, and never knew precisely what they were capable of.

This needs to be added to Terra Arcanum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom