Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum High Resolution Patch

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Version 1.1 is out. List of changes:

- Fixed the spells/skills buttons on the bottom panel. The spells/skill menu doesn't disappear anymore if the corresponding button is still pressed.
- Added a new optional component: Compact Options Screen. This breaks the options screen into 3 parts (top, middle and bottom), just like with the other menus.
- Fixed mouse cursor detection issues with the character creation menu. Gender, race and background fields now get properly detected.
- Fixed mouse cursor detection issues with many multiplayer related menus.
- The NPC response window now gets proportionally larger when the larger dialog font component is installed. Now all text fits correctly.
- Fixed all issues with the larger logbook font. Now all text fits correctly and page numbers are visible.
- Added size 18 dialog fonts as an option.

The_Pope

Scholar
Here's a 1920x1200 screenshot, in case that helps. I can play it fine at this res, so thanks very much for making this. Seeing all the sprites stretched far bigger than they were ever meant to be ruined the games visual appeal.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~theclearys ... 0x1200.jpg

Are there any game logs or anything like that I can post that might help? (Assuming you can be bothered with 2560, it's a pretty rare resolution) I know a fair few games have that kind of thing.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Here's a few things that you can try.

1. Try running the game at 2560x1600 in a window (by using the '-window' command line argument).
2. Try some lower res, something between 1920x1200 and 2560x1600. You can use any arbitrary resolution in windowed mode.
3. Try resetting your video card settings.
4. Try using both '-no3d' and '-doublebuffer' at the same time.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The_Pope said:
-window didn't help, but using both -no3d and -doublebuffer did. Here's a screenshot:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~theclearys ... Buffer.jpg
So it runs full speed now? Nice.

The_Pope said:
Should I try arbitrary resolutions in windowed mode and post screens to help test it?
Yes, that would help to determine at what resolution you start getting graphical glitches (judging from the screenshot you posted, transparency effects don't work).

The_Pope

Scholar
Did some testing, and the results are pretty bizarre.

In windowed mode, no resolution will work if my desktop is set to 2560. If I drop down to 2048x1536, it works. That resolution also works as a setting for fullscreen. I can grab screenshots, but the error is the same so I doubt they will tell you much.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Are you sure you don't have any 2560x1600 specific graphics settings active?

Just to make this clear. Uninstall the high resolution patch, set your desktop to 2560x1600 and run the game in windowed mode. If you get the same graphical glitches, then there's something wrong with this specific resolution on your end.

The_Pope

Scholar
Ok, it happens without the high res patch. I'll check it on another PC with this screen to get a better idea of whats going on.

Eladril

Novice
That's strange but.. when i create new char using 1.1 patch, and im about to enter character's name the game crashes :| With 1.0 i don't have this problem.. meybe patching somehow damaged game files, i don't know. Anyway - i tried twice (uninstalling and then reinstalling again), and problem repeates.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I almost forgot about that bug. Here's a quick update.

Version 1.1a:

- Fixed a crash when clicking around in character pick/create menu.

qliveur

Educated
Forgive my ignorance, but these command line arguments: how do you enter them? Is there a console?

Unsurprisingly, a half-hour of Googling has yielded absolutely nothing about this. :(

Right click on the shortcut and in the 'target' bar add the command outside of the quotation marks at the end.

atadadata

Novice
Large Font

Woohoo! If I was more prompt to reply, I would have most certainly voted for larger fonts. Thanks for the 18!

I'm about to have a short vacation from work, and will spend a portion of it bug searching.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Hey I get these weird white artifacts around certain static objects and the fleshy mound monsters running on 1280x1024. They seem to vary in severity, sometimes there are several white lines, while at other times they seem to be barely visible.

Here's a screenshot of the old lagoon, where it seems to be prevalent:
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/9752/oldlagoon.jpg

I don't get it, I just loaded the save in the area I took the picture, and the the areas where several white lines were have been replaced by only one barely visible white line.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Wilco said:
Hey I get these weird white artifacts around certain static objects and the fleshy mound monsters running on 1280x1024. They seem to vary in severity, sometimes there are several white lines, while at other times they seem to be barely visible.

Here's a screenshot of the old lagoon, where it seems to be prevalent:
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/9752/oldlagoon.jpg
This is a video card related problem, -no3d will help.

Looks like many people are experiencing hardware compatibility issues, so I've now added the info about -no3d and -doublebuffer to the notes section on the web site.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
This is a video card related problem, -no3d will help.

Looks like many people are experiencing hardware compatibility issues, so I've now added the info about -no3d and -doublebuffer to the notes section on the web site.

I tried both -no3d and -doublebuffer, slowed the game down some 10-15 fps and is extremely choppy.

Shkura

Novice
With high resolution patch installed map scolls only to bottom right corner no matter where i try to scroll. Any ideas how to fix it?

hal900x

Augur
Is the fact that I've suddenly lost the ability to scroll/pan outside the viewable area related in any way to this patch? It seems to have been triggered by the map underneath P. Schulyer's in Tarant. After entering it, the problem (if it is a problem) manifested. Prior to that I could scroll for an apparently unlimited distance. Now, I can scroll for a few centimeters, tops.

hal900x

Augur
I started a new game to test the issue, and the problem is not present with a fresh character. But will it simply manifest again if I take his new toon into a dungeon map? Hello? Did I ask a stupid question?

Edit: I want to point out that this is not the default behavior. I did read the readme where it talks about only scrolling out to a virtual 800x600. But I have this problem even when my character is at the far outer limit of the screen. I get to a point where my character is almost past the viewable range, and the screen will not re-center. I have to open my inventory or some other workaround for centering the screen at that point. However, using the -scrolldist:0 does seem to reset back the behavior I was seeing at the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom