Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Arcanum LP [Tech/Evil][Fortified with memes][Finished]

Seriously is that an option? Do you need to have a high beauty stat? Tfw no waifus.

You need high charisma + persuasion. You can even have a negative reaction modifier. But from what I know, no one will know that you fucked her (I was mostly looking to see if Raven gets jealous) and as such it is not worth it. Beside, after having fucked her you don't gain anything at all - I mean you can mention to her that you wish to be her special one but it mostly seems cuck stuff, in fact she gets aggressive and attacks you for pissing her off.

Edit: By the way, I think you can still reveal the story to Alexander and get your special ending ;)
Edit 2: I wonder what happens if you resurrect K'tuan'hua in front of Nasrudin :P

Last edited:
K'an Hua's narration of the Arrownax cinematic is hilarious. Nigga put all his character points into the Slimy Badguy Voice Skill, I'm pretty sure he's that skill' Master trainer.

Yeeessss, yeeessss...

You don't need to detect evil to realize this is a badguy. How did Alexander and the others ever let the dude inside that Church? Did they think that he was good, because he didn't burn once he stepped inside it?

K'an Hua's narration of the Arrownax cinematic is hilarious. Nigga put all his character points into the Slimy Badguy Voice Skill, I'm pretty sure he's that skill' Master trainer.

Yeeessss, yeeessss...

You don't need to detect evil to realize this is a badguy. How did Alexander and the others ever let the dude inside that Church? Did they think that he was good, because he didn't burn once he stepped inside it?

It doesn't help that he is literally dripping with evil according to in-game description :roll:

Egosphere

Arcane
You need high charisma + persuasion. You can even have a negative reaction modifier. But from what I know, no one will know that you fucked her (I was mostly looking to see if Raven gets jealous) and as such it is not worth it. Beside, after having fucked her you don't gain anything at all - I mean you can mention to her that you wish to be her special one but it mostly seems cuck stuff, in fact she gets aggressive and attacks you for pissing her off.

Edit: By the way, I think you can still reveal the story to Alexander and get your special ending ;)
Edit 2: I wonder what happens if you resurrect K'tuan'hua in front of Nasrudin :P
I looked it up and you need a beauty stat of above 12 ( according to some ). Your race might be a modifier as well. I had charisma 20 and expert persuasion when I met her.

Yeeessss, yeeessss...

There's a reason I titled the last part 'cospiritard among brainlets' :lol:

I checked yesterday and all I needed with an elf was beauty 9 and enough charisma to match persuasion 16/20.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
PART XXI: GHOST SHIP

IBjAnjq.png

In the last part, I believe, we left the Panarii temple after discovering some truths about the lore: Mannox, Nasrudin and Arronax.
From here we can pursue several different paths, such as uncovering the rest of the Mannox conspiracy ( in Roseborough ), finding Tollo Underhill in Dernholm to acquire the Vendigroth map ( the Kan Hua quest ), or sail to Thanatos to uncover the rest of the Nasrudin conspiracy. Not all are mutually exclusive, so let us go to Dernholm and acquaint ourselves with the rogue halfling.

We come upon the Thieve's lair in our journey, but we are too big to fit through the entrance. I'm guessing most of the thieves are halflings.

WdgOohk.png

And here is Dernholm. The pits of dernholm, that is.

2Zzd87A.png

8jIMyAl.png

P7Jmc6G.png

I'm serious

xwo82XZ.png

You don't have the nerve, dog!

HtLMBbb.png

(I wonder how they 'threw' 9 people in. I'm guessing we stood on the platform willingly and then they lowered it)

LrrfMSa.png

There are jail cells here, with some of the inmates casting some strange, protective magicks. This one isn't aggressive, but he's an exception, not the rule.
Most of the doorways are also locked, which is strange. By that logic, a person thrown into the pits will get stuck in the very first corridor and not be able to enter the dungeon proper. What's the point of that?

PV7ViCf.png

M6IeHbp.png

NvlQ2sw.png

New enemy, Shiverbit

1hwQL7v.png

I was wondering why there was a wolf that wasn't attacking us, then I realized that I have so many party members that some might be able to cast creatures

7jTvgIn.png

Hey, Perriman, since we're going to Vendigroth wastes one way or the other, do you mind disclosing Tulla's location for us?

bZti9NQ.png

B1y8ckE.png

CiyW5mm.png

And here's our man

6iBeUu6.png

LDUG0Bx.png

Who are you?

RpIN6sk.png

I'm looking for someone in particular

nzcYPz5.png

He's a halfling

tQ1YRe3.png

No, I'm looking for Tollo

bhH9R5A.png

wPOXXC7.png

Yes

pWzmelk.png

9AsK1qa.png

What happened?

XytMrro.png

mzjgvAl.png

lV0E1y6.png

(Sounds like a better version of Bioshock)

epimb9l.png

nCC04IC.png

All I need from you..

S3Pwcok.png

2ciHyPV.png

Deal

5tTMLq3.png

[Lie] I've found a way out, let's go

Since he's in your party, you can simply transfer the map from his inventory to your own with no repercussions.

mPCZv2k.png

Ar0S0Z1.png

But this is the map of the INSIDE of the subterranean Vendigroth ruins. I thought he was giving us a map of where to find the damn thing on the continent itself. What use is this map?

Before we go, tell me of Dernholm Tollo

2k7EcF7.png

K k, let's go

Desecrator up ahead

8YWLmmT.png

I find the layout very strange, because when I first played this game I could have sworn when I 'entered' the Pit proper, I spawned in the hallway with the desecrator. I remember that because his level was light years ahead of anyone I had encountered up to that point, so he was like an end-game boss at that stage for my party. Weird.

0qmYdAU.png

There are stairs hidden away at the end of the dungeon

fKAAcla.png

and we come out of a secret entrance a couple of kilometres north of Dernholm

veimE6Y.png

Wanna join me?

tppkpeU.png

Alright then, Tollo, I won't push it. Goodbye and good luck!

So we have the map, and we can pursue Kan Hua's mischievous designs by traveling to Vendrigoth right now, but I want to sail to Thanatos first. We're hated all over the continent by now, but I believe we still garner a lot of respect in Ashbury.

6maaC2P.png

Apparently, word of our deeds has seeped into a few ears in Ashbury as well. Let's visit the pub and see if we can find Cap'n Teach.

There's a drunken sailor at one of the tables. We order a drink and approach him.

DlwGqYk.png

Don't know who Skelly is

6D1CWwS.png

5yZezhI.png

dp1AXDV.png

5yYRtl5.png

MS1JTF0.png

lMGFvm4.png

ktZ6Uqy.png

Amazing story, my man. Here, have another drink

LrJwOBl.png

[buy him a drink]

ghL1hX5.png

[buy another]

1EmN4Oq.png

Dry, you say?

9OKmJ4d.png

Bring him another!

V4XgL1t.png

[Nod to the bartender]

MfTwpAp.png

[again]

VVmG693.png

[again]

vRRRdav.png

dk4g23h.png

JybJlWu.png

dzK3gq5.png

I thought we were friends!

ftRRJhA.png

There are two half ogres in machined armour with a human gambler at another table

nZFgwXI.png

who are you?

0eWIrj8.png

I'll do just that. Hey, Teach!

cIapbhr.png

What happened?

hs6X0Ne.png

Did he cheat?

Pziolh9.png

I could help, but also call on that favour

MyfCLJm.png

Iu8JpU8.png

and the other options?

HmTWjOV.png

and the other solution?

CXHTrLK.png

VuaMf1C.png

Yes, you told me just before we sailed to Isle of Despair. Jack Skellybones.

4joSPdQ.png

VrsBYIY.png

JKw4BUJ.png

GpkTFfk.png

We go to the location and find a boat

aRXEPcR.png

It takes us to a little island just off the coast

MoWEDcz.png

And here's Stingy Pete, in the flesh

6kQUZN8.png

GymqFOV.png

I want to talk

d6dGc8M.png

I need a moment to explain

hD9fanl.png

I need your boat

H6qIXg4.png

Do you not enjoy it?

TsITWtE.png

What did you see?

A754YMS.png

Who cursed you?

qiE14mI.png

fyMgdPo.png

I68bBKQ.png

[tell him the story]

gXJsCiS.png

YQDtcUt.png

What do i do?

Ek4RExn.png

tell me

mCjsKQv.png

first task

0atscZm.png

Zzkg5SH.png

where are they?

AwKgwEy.png

Awj7jwt.png

ok. Second task?

i5H5SRM.png

FWpjHk6.png

Nvu73jW.png

third task

hu5vIIn.png

AI4W252.png

what's that?

DBEIrQE.png

that's horrible

EQMqKhK.png

an evil blade, indeed

L07yowM.png

what happened?

3GBKt1y.png

and then?

sWgKMrp.png

what did you all do?

Sopt8dt.png

XXpD9Dd.png

wKtkToB.png

I'll do it

uCsSRm6.png

We'll do the tasks chronologically. Up first is the Williamson treasure.

vujON1u.png

we go to their homestead, which is a run down cottage in the middle of nowhere

WGHYYmI.png

DlDuQfM.png

XR4cK7n.png

yeedHFu.png

what are you doing out here?

mrXdPw7.png

that's why I'm here

kfqJude.png

[tell her]

Jepu0Ly.png

XbXMSX9.png

yes [hand them over]

kB3bJE0.png

Goodbye

Up next is the Halcyon order at Vooriden

5iOl37D.png

r8heqf5.png

uh..hi

PydsU8S.png

what do you do here?

O7N8ivv.png

can i ask more questions?

6VCKqJw.png

(I can't)

AH3nKJ6.png

yvVXsWt.png

WTUURiO.png

tell me of this 'temple'

nf1IAsN.png

9Kj7K5U.png

nG0YmNP.png

few questions about your religion

mPuuCvd.png

tell me of the old gods

so7zlkg.png

and Halcyon?

bVk02D7.png

can i make an offering?

fBQnBkS.png

MQYNZpE.png

Actually..

gj57old.png

hLioprF.png

GDGkTEP.png

yes

rzfIXng.png

939R46L.png

I'll help

tbkcai8.png

where is Torin?

cgcdSPk.png

I'll do so

d7uEWm0.png

hey murgo

dlviHpR.png

are you available for helping me carry a big rock?

V6tFdDI.png

m6HTLS9.png

so you'll join me?

bWbP5HD.png

ffs

Ok then, we go alone.

IUBDBlA.png

we reach the quarry by nightfall

wIXpYJa.png

there's some random corpse with a strange bow here

3grSDCD.png

and here's the damn rock. Had to shuffle the inventory for 10 minutes straight before I could pick it up

zsupz8Z.png

we can't run with the thing, so we walk back

h9p3vj7.png

dMlIYyZ.png

greetings..

89TcFsN.png

Look at that. Beautiful.

KaKfvDp.png

bH0VpfK.png

It's nice to have so much space in inventory

Wt64uA9.png

uPlRgcc.png

we find some mushrooms in the fields

EDuCzVv.png

5ef.jpg

Finally, we go to the Bangellian Deeps. We've already visited them once before, but never made it to the end.

We also stumble upon a wrecked camp on our way north

H4Vw2O1.png

There are dead people all over, and one fleshy mound staggering from one end to the other

vIv3Kqf.png

Some loot is here

EmWNbz3.png

I don't think there are any notes to gives us some context to what transpired here, it remains a mystery.

Here are the Deeps

Sq6Nser.png

SaRySNm.png

v3x9HIB.png

5l9emYM.png

oeEyiiq.png

The last hurdle is the toughest. You have to fight a cursed paladin and his slaves, clad in high level armour.

hdLE06u.png

Fortunately, we can overwhelm them with sheer numbers.

cklRMhY.png

And here's the Bangellian Scourge

LNGXshT.png

We toss it into the nearby furnace and watch it melt away. That's that.

On my way out of the Bangellian Deeps, I notice that Jormund is no longer with us. Did he die in the struggle against the Paladin? We scour the bodies, but he's not there. Hmm.

I eventually find him standing near the earth that concealed Williamson's treasures. I think shooting the gorillas protecting it must have triggered some negative karma and led to him leaving the party.

GjRDROk.png

Hey Jormund, want to join the party?

MurUW18.png

Alright then.

We go back to Stingy Pete.

5HeKUm4.png

Yes, it is done

o6XxYuB.png

CcTsUtu.png

good luck, Pete

JR8IbNf.png

So Pete transcends into another realm of existence, bequeathing us his boat. You get to keep the boat till the end of the game and can sail between the towns of Arcanum on it. Fantastic. We need an appropriate name for it: something with a ring to it, and apt for a ship with such a dreadful history. But I can't think of anything. If you have any suggestions, please share.

Off we go to Thanatos!

BDAFiQ6.png

No, I'm not foraying into the island at night time.

eultzfb.png

ULGmqLh.png

This place is a tropical paradise, infested with lizards, krags and simians

BX11G8Y.png

6tAXsuQ.png

There's a horrendous passage here whereby you're forced into a 'maze' of sorts made out of trees. The trees bar a straight path, so you have to play along and traverse the maze. The problem is that the 'corridors' in this 'maze' are so huge that you often can't see the path bifurcating. You might end up walking for 3 minutes one way and hitting a wall, left to wonder where exactly are you supposed to go next, before finding another passage which you completely missed 2 minutes ago. There are also legions of wargunnes and gowraths here, to make the experience even more exciting

onOz5MF.png

rgek8Ij.png

0am50tT.png

I'll spare you the details. We come out of this maze and find a hovel on the other side

Vv9EhrB.png

and there's one dude inside

Rk1u3QN.png

(voiced)

xTFFpuW.png

I'm looking for a grave

N0GLoaW.png

Searching for the resting place of Nasrudin

bG645GL.png

Virgil interjects:

UVopNb8.png

Stranger replies:

zaoHFIj.png

Virgil:

9a2Knjr.png

Stranger:

5H18ama.png

Virgil:

cndrzum.png

Stranger:

Pr8t8VU.png

Virgil:

Bk0gjKA.png

Stranger:

Wq3KOsm.png

Virgil:

BVB9nSS.png

WHAT?

TperQ6H.png

OZmNbWW.png

GZKPE1F.png

2nvXv0p.png

3SC1uX1.png

EBSsBiK.png

8OhoKYf.png

eqwmHGS.png

Why have you hidden yourself here?

oPs5t3E.png

Do you know of Panarii?

9emEP2V.png

did he know how it started?

nTO18ce.png

what happened to mannox? They believe he 'ascended'

FefvF6W.png

I need your help. Arronax is coming back.

ir8RM4x.png

What am I going to do?

OwjDzVc.png

How is he still so powerful?

lVSndHL.png

zbTLLgj.png

(All roads lead to Vendigroth)

xoeRyUo.png

what does the device do?

a55i6Ts.png

vTKdUdZ.png

how do i find it?

B0WW9z1.png

where are the ruins?

7mvzjny.png

why don't you do it?

pnDXcfr.png

Nah3gyz.png

yGcCNLi.png

KnXkeUk.png

3k7J9zX.png

can you clarify some things for me?

liLHgZK.png

(there's not much to ask here, so we leave. If we talk to him again

6nJWz9f.png

Ok I'm leaving.

We go back to our ship and sail to .. can't remember where I'm at right now tbh

2Apj82J.png

That's it for today.

The next episode will be pretty short. I'll complete the God's Quest (on the mainland) before heading to the Wastes. I hoped that Tollo Underhill's map would tell us where the ruins were, but it didn't, for whatever reason. I'm guessing we will be going to Tulla if we can, to pry the info from the locals.​

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
PART XXII: OVERMAN

AsVkoG8.png

After palavering with Nasrudin, we leave for Caladon. Before we go to the Wastes, lets tackle the ancient Gods' quest.

As we walk off the gangplank in Caladon, one of the guards runs across the screen and stops over the stern of the ship. I don't know what's happening here.

5tCtBGC.png

My companions don't either, so it's up to me to shoot him down

wXgWnYA.png

We get attacked by bunnies on the fur ranch as we're leaving. We just about manage to escape.

ZbV2Yaz.png

The solution to the gods quest can be sussed out from the book and the map that you can find in Tarant's university. You must make an offering to all of the gods in a particular order ( some of the gods have to receive an offering twice ). As you give each god an offering, you get a blessing that improves some of your skills or stats. However, each offering negates the blessing of the previous god. If you're looking to beef up a couple of stats, you can find the pertinent god and simply make one offering and leave it at that. But if you curry the favour of the whole pagan pantheon, you can then get the blessing of the all-father, whose altar we will find in Vendigroth ruins.

First up is Terel, at Falcon's Ache. This is the place that broke our opportunity to meet the Silver Lady. The altar needs a Litani statue. We picked one up at Ashbury's local junk dealer.

KADWNQX.png

5bFN3kc.png

zZZsZji.png

Aaawhwaahwhaaa

Next up is Makaal, the god of the Bedokaan lizard people. He wants a heartstone, which are conveniently scattered near their village.

q2BmgHg.png

TXwH1N6.png

QKB1Aw0.png

We also use one of the heartstones to craft the dwarf key that we were told by Eric Obsidian at the Wheel Clan

zp3DhVd.png

The last time I was in the village, I had to rescue the elf that the lizards threw into a pit. I did rescue him, but I forgot to talk to him as I was leaving. Let's do that now.

XTuvjEF.png

SAsZ9W8.png

Good day to you. ( He doesn't yet know that we are literally Hitler in Qintarra by now )

iILZ2Ib.png

I'v forgotten where I need to use the dwarf key, so I pop in to the Wheel Clan to ask Eric again.

NFWpokF.png

Well, it seems that I can't really ask him, but we get a clue about the Durin Stone. I think there's a book about that stone over in Caladon, at the house of Misk's widow. Whilst we're in the wheel clan, we can also make an offering to Alberich, which is the next god in the sequence

Rb9kfoM.png

L7KAmBY.png

And since we know that the dark elves banished the BMC clan, we can talk to Loghaire some more

qLVzYQB.png

[tell him]

1CfCTqj.png

(If you have Z'an in your party, you get a unique conversation here, which is pretty cool )

rjWw4ha.png

Z'an intercedes:

YCW2hLJ.png

Loghaire:

AvSD1Bi.png

Z'an:

E3Jm6rr.png

Loghaire:

wg5tuUf.png

Z'an

pAB8H3Q.png

Loghaire:

v6RbgJu.png

Z'an:

DNsVK0H.png

Loghaire:

4NayMcB.png

ma8Ht3R.png

Splendid! Will you join me?

54v4RHZ.png

uGIWjag.png

:hmmm:

Next altar is Geshtianna's at Stillwater. We've reinstated the statue, so it's a quick in-n'-out. I panic when I can't find any passion root in the garden. Thankfully I had a spare in my inventory.

KrzIxlK.png

kBLWgiC.png

Next up is Halcyon, at Vooriden

N5rhyzB.png

He needs an olive branch, which you can pluck from a tree in the wheel clan gardens

37SMYTW.png

And now we've received the blessing from the 'Light' or 'good' Gods, with Halcyon being the eldest of this group.

The dark circle of Gods is up next. Torg, the very first altar you discover in the game, wants a ruby

xrftNvw.png

iDnWbcd.png

Then we have Bolo, the halfling God of thieves, who wants a ring

R8h3aX4.png

3grKjuY.png

dOtLmTC.png

Next up is Kerlin which is all the way over in the Grey Plains. He wants the M'nura coin.

P1SS4V3.png

VtXF1Yv.png

Up next is Shakar, the orc god of war, standing amidst the ruins of Kree

I decide to sail from Caladon to Ashbury and cut down the travel time. Hey! Get off my ship!

ZY0RZHW.png

qpIDpB0.png

UDEMNKx.png

Such a cool altar. I'd worship Shakar without second thoughts.

3BwhqtQ.png

And finally, we descend into the ancient temple to lay a black diamond at the foot of Moorindal's altar.

PUNfHN6.png

bjYIIIy.png

It's funny how you notice new things even after playing the game for a hundred hours, like the skull corbels on the pillars.

i6gVN6L.png

That's the dark circle blessing complete.
So now we need to the third circle. This is where I rage quit.

The third circle involves worshiping some of the gods of both circles for a second time. I did not factor this in when I was collecting the items of worship, so I have no items to give. First up is Alberich, who needs a lava rock. I don't have a lava rock, so I go into the Dredge. It's not there.

G4cZEc9.png

So I go into the crystal spider tunnel place and fastidiously turn over all of the crates looking for that damned rock. Nothing.

Gs41kZW.png

We then go back to the BMC mine. I eventually stumble upon a few lava rocks on the floor here.

WZl0lzq.png

ePnIg3J.png

One issue which I've never broached during this playthrough until now is the game's performance. If you recall, the multiverse edition stopped working very early in my playthrough, forcing me to migrate to the vanilla version with the high res patch. My usual procedure for getting the game to work great on my bog standard laptop was appending the -no3d -doublebuffer parameters to the launcher properties. But the high res patch negates these changes by assuming control of the parameters that are being fed to the launcher. Tweaking the appropriate params in the mod's text files does not affect the performance. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if I was playing a tough guy loner who was cutting his way through the enemies by himself, but having 7 or 8 companions in tow in tight nit corridors of the Dredge or the BMC mines simply kills the performance. And I'm not talking about fps 'dips' or 20 fps or anything like that. No. I'm getting a solid 2 fps, sometimes dipping to 0.5 fps, in the BMC mines or Wheel Clan mines when my companions are on the screen.

I've been tweaking the files and looking up solutions for a few weeks now, but it seems like vanilla game + high res patch without uap patch is a weird cocktail that nobody else plays. So I have to grit my teeth and bear with it. Rummaging in the Dredge and the BMC just got on my nerves after a while, and I wanted to get this quest out of the way as quickly as possible. It doesn't help when the dwarven layouts often slap walls everywhere for no reason, like so:

2TeKsHh.png

(Could they not cut a passage straight through?)

So we to Alberich and we give him the lava rock. Job well done.

yx3QiVI.png

QAOKRvM.png

Up next is Makaal.

Np9Xzg9.png

I scour the coast north of the bedokaans to see if I've missed any lagoons or ancient temples or anything of the sort. In a strange coincidence I end up landing in the Secret Village at the end of my journey in the world map.

S3sAyfs.png

6IRCIaM.png

Kites dancing on a corpse. What cunts.

cDMf7UL.png

Now that I think of it, kites are kind of creepy. Packs of deformed, greying humanoids the size of children, stabbing and slashing you with their hunting knives.

tumblr_mcrs15ETQe1qd8t4mo1_500.gif

latest

No thank you. I prefer fighting rabid wolves.

IIvb7dl.png

We pop over to Stillwater to replenish some of ammo stocks

zUOj0xD.png

ktyiJSN.png

And then I realize that Kerlin is one of the gods in the third circle. I don't have any more Mnura coins, I sold them all to the junk trader in Tarant. Fuck!

I take a meandering way to Tarant, stopping over at the ancient temple to see if there are any mnura coins there. Nope, none. I've cleared them all out. Alright then, let's go to Tarant.

Hey Cal-

Cf9cZ7l.png

13croH4.png

Ok, then. Wise lady, do you perchance have a Mnura coin?

1v39cJn.png

No she doesn't. So we go to the abandoned warehouse at the docks

kyRUFXI.png

Nothing.
We go to the sewers

PMLNfQK.png

Nothing.
We go to the magical shop and guess what? I die. From arrows, no less.
The shopkeeper lands a critical hit and knocks me unconscious. Before my party can get anywhere near him, he unleashed a torrent of arrows that take my health all the way to zero. Fantastic. When did I last save? Before I found the lava rock in the BMC for the alberich altar.

No, I'm not completing this quest. Let's go to Vendigroth. We arrive at the 'gates' to find a halfling camped near the bridge.

e8jQuVV.png

PyalsUu.png

Who are you?

zRMdSdJ.png

A halfling adventurer?

YLdlPXA.png

7iXioz3.png

May I ask you some questions?

PkU3dWq.png

tell me of your adventures

40QjgpD.png

found anything interesting in your travels?

lNEk8t0.png

4juYLgL.png

4wOHpwO.png

0RUkE3U.png

Did you see any cities in the wastes?

P0AtNX1.png

Z9orPqk.png

O4E9uF5.png

TWQpjGq.png

Wanna join me?

9BxQZ7H.png

Show me where it is

0JQx8TW.png

Sure, I'll do it

4ffOK9Q.png

Before I go, what monsters have you seen over there?

0axrVNU.png

R4AZTSD.png

EC6njpU.png

did you speak to it?

HD79sYr.png

:lol:

We leave the little guy and cross the bridge to the wastes

CXB2TyM.png

[steampunk intensifies]

And the wastes aren't a misnomer

F9b6NLy.png

We don't need to do this quest, since Perriman has already told us where Tulla is ( which is the town in question ), but let's do it anyway

clm3xok.png

If you look carefully, the enemies are Bedokaan midgets.

40agTrM.png

Took me a while to spot it

qGa7C9c.png

On our way back, we encounter the half spider half woman critters

49GLHZS.png

tsSz78h.png

VNGerld.png

I have the part

psncSpN.png

Here

whh6wAd.png

Join me!

DOIXIls.png

Alright. We then go to the Dark Elf camp. This is the destination assigned to us by Kan Hua.

1fxxtwN.png

There's only the one guy here, and he's dead. Has a diary on him.

JXy5sE6.png

6aTXxh9.png

3VkUulD.png

zJWWnt1.png

And the ruins of Vendigroth appear on our wold map.

XhZFH2E.png

But let's go to Tulla first. It's an interesting city with a couple of memorable characters

clSBG7n.png

CYfrfsW.png

What is this place?

nl18dRO.png

Who?

YJ2QIhC.png

Ok

PR03kt7.png

BOOM

Let's do that again

bTgLP74.png

YjpyTbJ.png

I could do this all day.
At first, I thought the hellbeasts were statues, but no, they're real apparently

Rvwuji7.png

Virgil, do you have a moment?

kbZgqFW.png

Is something wrong?

OcbQFpM.png

I'm not the real Nasrudin, eh?

jJo9kgP.png

Z'an, tell me of this place

u8ZFxNa.png

There's an intricate pool in the centre of the town

u8ZFxNa.png

And here's the 'fortress'

E4f1stL.png

3IVLwyc.png

Because Tulla is a mage city, the fortress houses all of the masters for the magick colleges. They're only important if you're an aspiring mage, and they mostly say the same thing when you speak to them, but their rooms are all different and a couple of 'em have some unique dialogue.

uF2Bgu7.png

What are you master of?

pdDDoSu.png

are you scared of tech?

LfStp0Z.png

tell me of the force college

Fqqqd7X.png

From now on, I won't post any text since all of the questions are almost the same. I'll divide the different masters with a '***'

33YObDG.png

M9azOME.png

qqAoOhn.png

nFon4uZ.png

gEDM9ej.png

Nice indoor pool

WHLQxQI.png

WtWoqzM.png

Ckvq6Lh.png

what does this have to do with me?

xb06cWy.png

what is required of me?

faKFKFO.png

e7kRL3O.png

Z5kQDyQ.png

what if he doesn't listen?

LiGSNAi.png

what if he becomes violent?

xVyKlrh.png

Alright I'll do it

gGHe65H.png

ZzUXI1l.png

OCDaZvM.png

I doubt the masses would enjoy being scorched, madam

0cxXHKK.png

(Best suite in the house)

GupKTCb.png

8dvnBBd.png

9dQg3ov.png

GtuQ5Me.png

uSOqAQG.png

LCPS8RT.png

( is he high? )

4zhceST.png

0aKpPAG.png

lcSE36Z.png

some nice art

h1Q5YGN.png

LTUsiGG.png

LbE7uiT.png

HCFj8n7.png

sUC8Adl.png

[appearing shocked]

2dH103e.png

oC5UDOL.png

y1PU5k6.png

Good for you

JSF5SkJ.png

Can you cure a werewolf?

Yk4HfKi.png

Can I acquire some?

axwOSMp.png

No thanks, let's just talk of your magick

FA347N9.png

jTZ5mBG.png

jTZ5mBG.png

y7EGGMk.png

37vS6mC.png

KQMjD0u.png

6ii5O4N.png

(Necromancer?)

itsYDZs.png

(Bingo)

jTYcu8l.png

yGVQiTp.png

bEMnfC3.png

leXPL5z.png

tBSoaJh.png

QGH7wMT.png

NRSwLGf.png

I53S1GW.png

J8afJoT.png

gbQHIsS.png

mgm6TYi.png

(why so many midgets?)

1PfO2mf.png

Sumner? That can't be your real name! Surely not!

fX73u8b.png

explain summoning to me ( iq < 85 )

WGzEznr.png

wVayI57.png

5ddSrVD.png

d5ix4cu.png

0WV5RN5.png

powerful comment

HKoioSn.png

a56Eh3X.png

9HzOg4W.png

hswxLtp.png

kDLjkST.png

r58sIZr.png

That's enough of that. We go back to the main hall.

6zQymEH.png

Y5k2Y1t.png

No handrails.

1gSUXcQ.png

1iK1QGv.png

Excuse me? Get out of my way plz.

DRgU3Uc.png

I am?

tGOCvIt.png

I'm NOT doing anything perverted for you

x8Ey22o.png

so tell what you want

fjwLEIo.png

Are you for real? Why would I do that?

agv0xFG.png

Ok..

lEzZEt6.png

What happens if we enter the circle?

Y2F9j2n.png

Nothing. Here's the mural.

gZCsYTC.png

22WzDuZ.png

Yeah, keep your hands where I can see them.

We go inside.

fbaXGKp.png

Are those lizard cherubs on the globes? You have a thing for lizards, old man?

uLVfkeB.png

V64Gi90.png

Nasrudin sent me. He wants to send me to hell with a glorified pump that will suck the life out his son. What are your thoughts on the matter, oh wise one?

lVzT8fp.png

Your perspicacity amazes me. How did you know? Was it my giant goggles?

VOXTDPW.png

Yes. Nasrudin isn't a magickfag, unlike you.

idyaSi6.png

Who can help me then

PdnAkMo.png

Are you surprised that I've spoken to Nasrudin?

j9Bfyfk.png

Oh I'm sure he does. I'm sure you see him splayed across the starry night sky after your daily fix of kedura stem. But, as a matter of fact, he's alive and well living on Thanatos.

jbUpo5J.png

Yes. Yes it is.

MwEvssv.png

[tell him your story]

yythu6Q.png

So where do I find this P-Lotion guy

T6pU6Ns.png

Oh I see. Let me rephrase my original question then.
Ahem.

So HOW do I find this P-Lotion guy

Happy now?

9hzH3pc.png

How do I proceed?

j5NJCY7.png

So mind sharing his history then? ffs

o5I2yTL.png

Tell me of his art

awsYFon.png

The perv that hangs outside your door wanted me to state at his mural before I came in here.

FX4ooka.png

Who is he anyway?

qD59PZE.png

So I have to ask him for more info then?

5ZxoW1F.png

What does that shitty painting in the hall represent?

0nX6ULB.png

What of P-Lotion's poetry?

7z9Jn4B.png

So the answers could be in his poetry?

RQPpSbD.png

So where do I look?

VWIbVfQ.png

He was a clairvoyant as well, you said

wDHR1q1.png

What did he foresee?

8WOl6pN.png

Wow that's impressive

s4DrnhF.png

He founded Tulla

mojCnmE.png

What was he looking for?

HwHMhW6.png

So what do I do now?

FQoUtyg.png

I think I've determined that this whole place is just a waste of my time. Enjoy worshiping PLotion's dead ghost!

CkvQDWD.png

What are you looking at?

Perriman, tell me where we are right now.

XfG8uP9.png

Yep.

Time to leave.

Hz01QKr.png

HUdHjYp.png

Uh, not exactly

wGEg3vj.png

why do you want to go back inside?

omOs7uR.png

but what of your armour?

S72jxi4.png

you'd 'corrupt' their little establishment

OsQ3fgl.png

Ecke told me you volunteered

EQwVH9E.png

yet you still believed in them enough to listen to them

jSoEgB0.png

They have no honour. They sent you out to die.

mPrGViB.png

They were the ones that insulted you when they shunned you. I mean, have you seen the guy who hangs outside Tor's room? Or those underage lizard statues on the globes in Tor's room? The place is a hive of scum and villainy that should be nuked from orbit.

gN1yvDv.png

It's night time, you stupid prick.
And what's Ecke gonna say if he sees you? 'Gimme the gem and get out' is what. So gimme the gem and go.

WsEBIqa.png

I'm tired of babysitting you. If you could sling two brain cells together, you'd turn around and go to the bridge right now. Another 5 days of travel and you'd be in Ashbury. But I guess screaming at a wall in a desert like a lunatic is a lot more fulfilling. Good luck with that.

Phew. We finally leave Tulla and head straight for the Vendigroth ruins

Hsh2i9s.png

2xJVwS6.png

hWkBiSA.png

1FhlnxD.png

sCaPpTP.png

3b8b0yU.png

Do we dare? We dare

mKeJP6w.png

The remnants of the lost civilization are well preserved.

K7iprXJ.png

rnICVLm.png

There are ancient newspapers here

mCUU0gB.png

UYBZZcK.png

Insectress infestation

pr8hUzC.png

To get around, we'll have to take the vents

DidLhCZ.png

There's some unique firearms here, as well

rndFv5C.png

r184QHb.png

h62Yz11.png

XPXHC76.png

jufjr4P.png

E1E1vCx.png

uUAnw1m.png

Yep, it's a long journey

csUpdhx.png

Arronax

uZhFBlE.png

zHhYarZ.png

fsmj4ph.png

pYGmxlQ.png

Schematics

UpiljVP.png

We go through another vent and ermagerd, robots!

9ajKp5z.png

Seems like Vendigroth put up a security system that survived the war

cwObtoU.png

More schematics

JW23bVS.png

f25yXJJ.png

WaCpQan.png

This lot run after Z'an and start slapping her all over. MeToo'd by automatons. How embarrassing!

1xWyIEB.png

It's a shame I've burned down Tarant, innit, Z'an? You could have written a book about it. Fifty Shades of 'groth, coming out in serial installments in the Tarantian this summer! An unforgettable story, full of high-t alphabots! The gnomes' trophy wives would have loved it.

We find an unknown chemical compound here

gxj0OMs.png

That's not what we're looking for. Onward!

1V8FbUH.png

IOwfXXz.png

7ZlmhYK.png

bVa5AhU.png

tv4GjgR.png

N6Lnmig.png

What's this?

trvJVhh.png

I didn't know we were looking for a neutron bomb all this time.

We go back out, to see the fortress itself

CnhHi7X.png

And here is the great altar of the all-father, Velorien

FuBOn1p.png

wMqQH0F.png

Standing before it fills me with a great jealousy of the Vendigroth ubermensch that must have once received their blessings here. I'm not letting your game bully me, Timnard. I'm getting the blessing.

JatW9Er.png

I retrace my steps with blessing at Wheel Clan and the Bedokaan village. We need a mnura coin. Where could it be? Not in the ancient temple.

00SHPc3.png

Not in the elf city. Not in the Tarantian shops. Not in elf burial site. Not in K-

V3u9NPC.png

It was in Kree all along, sitting in the very first crate.

mzXh5wP.png

Hope you choke on it, Kerlin

We discover the strange ceremony as we're travelling to Bolo's altar

jGmdsjV.png

w7Zomlz.png

We toss 'em all into the bonfire and throw some fuel on top

At Bolo's altar

dN5Kf7Z.png

Now we get the blessing from the third circle's patriarch, Kaitan, which stands at Gorgoth's pass. Troika placed a geode 2 metres away from the altar. how nice of them.

DBzOKFo.png

So we have done the third circle, the circle of neutrality

iCSwMvI.png

mTWkUMZ.png

Looking good

After an arduous journey across the whole continent, we reach Vendgroth once more.

BVL5IZT.png

I just want to point out that in-game, our journey so far has takes us a little over 6 years. That's pretty incredible ( and kind of sad ).

TbzPFF2.png

wsOMyTv.png

oFxxNmP.png

pKTNW4V.png

The moment of truth is here. To get the blessing, we have to give up our life. Will it work?

y4aX5rA.png

Yes it does.

mX1CYZI.png

I'm faster and healthier; a new man, an overman

Mjyk0BR.png

8KydL7q.png

Tp9QlJ4.png

Without really investing any points in constitution of combat oriented skills, the journey to get the blessing of the all father has bumped our hp 218, our DX to 17 and granted us non-trivial skill in both melee and dodge. :incline:

8YzZc1f.png

I guess I can smash skulls with an axe from now on

nW8DJcb.png

84fobkZ.png

Well, with another lengthy journey we get back to Roseborough

t6RroHW.png

Nasrudin has taken care of Kan Hua at the rings of Brogdar

oHAIJ86.png

heMbVvD.png

What happened here?

ypc9kyE.png

Not quite

W5zm1fl.png

I have my reasons.

We travel north west, beside the coast, to discover the mannox cave

CUuycVU.png

bU5RZXm.png

Click on the door and your protagonist will say the password ( if he's discovered the blood writing in the crypt under the panarii temple )

M1uvvvo.png

We get the full story of Mannox

9VfBrNe.png

4tYtLic.png

hV0Lh9P.png

DX5bcdA.png

iZL1P5F.png

Well, that's that.

Before we go to the rings of Brogdar, we have one other place to visit. Blackroot.
Remember the big house where I smashed the windows to get in? The empty one? Well, it hasn't been empty since we've visited Caladon. I should have returned here sooner, but better late than never

sIgXPzJ.png

58uPTnL.png

Excuse me?

ayEkPja.png

Sir, are you sure of your assessment of me?

f0p0gvf.png

st6MPtw.png

Well met, Franklin!

UOBbqcU.png

What are you doing here in Blackroot?

72p7lXU.png

why?

xqnbaKg.png

And so?

Jbi480y.png

What are the supplies you're seeking?

5N92ls6.png

(this guy is awesome)

Tell me of your adventures

fbuxr6y.png

still..

4En2Tbv.png

Teach told me of the fire giants

2W3g9xF.png

tell me your version!

GzH6OYg.png

dVDGYDV.png

xY1VNfm.png

aLXilLG.png

Ha! Tell me about the most valuable thing you ever recovered?

GapH5NX.png

what sort of work?

H1upTsO.png

UyrBKGP.png

6Egj4k4.png

Tell me of your greatest battle

64tkDkG.png

gvcDWuP.png

FOSc7Je.png

VOFBRJw.png

dnrUe74.png

zsbelKJ.png

What's the most dangerous place you've ever visited?

1obuldD.png

[Lie] I'm going there myself, actually

Ev2X85r.png

You know, I could use a man like you on Thanatos

o4qTGUw.png

So you'll join me?

uTnhezl.png

Perriman, it's been a .. pleasure, but ever since I discovered just how depraved Tulla really is, I've been meaning to part ways

0pN6vNF.png

Payne, we're one man shy of full house

3nSLADo.png

Let's go then. Here, have the blue armour.

Ouhzbf7.png

Payne can craft a few rudimentary items. We won't be needing any of them.

BpPEKtU.png

Before we go there, do you know anything about the Ring, Payne?

pThEHrY.png

And tell me of Blackroot

7JLP9s0.png

Alright, let's go people.

RpXCUw1.png

eh79Z46.png

Where have we not been in this playthrough? Probably the biggest quest I've missed has been the Iron Clan quest. The key which we crafted opens the great iron casket in the tarantian zoological society, which would then lead you down a long journey to find the long lost iron clan of the dwarves. I could have done it, but since I have neither Magnus ( who died at Schuyler's place ), nor Loghaire ( who doesn't like me ), in my party, we can't really trigger any unique conversations or change the ending in any way. It's a shame, but I've made my peace with it.
The other place is the Snel F'na castle that Black mistook for the Ashbury castle. I admit that I've never been there in my 3 or 4 playthroughs of Arcanum. I've walked past that place at least 8 times in this lp alone, yet it never appeared on my world map even with a high perception. I don't feel like looking for the place with a guide. It feels like cheating. We didn't spot it, so it remains a mystery.
Another place is the Thief Cave near Roseborough. That place has just the one quest attached; framing some guy on behalf of the thieves in Roseborough, or handing the thieves over to the guard. I'd have done it if I had the scroll of shrinking on me, but alas.

What else? I can't think of anything substantial. Tarantian sewers? Who cares about them anyways.
Looking over the map of Arcanum, we've uncovered most of the important landmarks. The places which we've missed are: The Bog, Lair of Gyr Dolours, Ruins of Szabo, Vollinger's Meeting Place, The Bog, Razors Pointe and a couple of places on Thanatos island. Out of all that, maybe the lair of gyr dolours would be worth doing, but it's tied in with the master of melee/dodge quests. If you're not a fighter, it's not worth it. The other places might embellish the lore and flesh out a couple of the characters, but they're a minor side dish at most.

One of my biggest regrets was forgetting about Franklin Payne for so long. He returned to Blackroot around the time I first visited Caladon. Having him in the party would have triggered a few unique conversations along our journey. It is what it is.

Nasrudin..

ifHwIrO.png

Yes. We've been honing our skill for 6 years, we have crossed the continent countless times, we've fought everything from robots to hellbeasts. We're ready to take down Arronax.

7fo1awh.png

The game is not clear on this point, but Nasrudin passes away during our banishment. The goodbye is very real. :salute:

A great thunder shakes the ring and golden sparks blur our vision. We open our eyes and find ourselves in the hellish desolation that is the void.

MvvrKLQ.png

Epa3tNi.png

Hordes of great lizards scutter across the dirt plains, looking for easy prey. Something tells me that lizards are far from the worst we'll encounter here.

Somewhere here, Arronax gathers his strength, and sometime soon we will come face to face.

Join me next time as we fight the final battle; a battle that might well be the last not just for this playthrough, but for Arcanum itself.

Last edited:
I gotta say, the fact that you play without the UAP and do not save every few minutes makes you a very brave man. That being said, all the fuckups and stumbling-throughs have given this LP a very cozy, intimate quality. Well done my dude. Looking forward to the conclusion of this tale.

Egosphere

Arcane
PART XXIII: A TALE OF TWO ENDINGS, OR HOW I

LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE

THE BUGS

8xwxOrC.png

We arrive in the Void and immediately get swarmed by killer lizards

jaw8bgX.png

6EaN2kj.png

It soon turns out that the void isn't just a state of nothingness, or wasteland. There are structures here; portals.

9GMOYoU.png

cqybQvz.png

And some long forgotten buildings made of metal

hKdVL2s.png

Stairs lead us down into the subterranean depths

lc7fwyA.png

pLYvNRM.png

These guys don't attack us. Let's approach.

MX9nNIs.png

Arronax sent for me. They let me through, and we go through the retracting spike doors.

There he is!

0fnou3c.png

Look at him, standing all smug, sniffing his own farts. Sogg, gimme the vendigroth device. Stand back everyone.

Have at you!

iWxnJzm.png

Why isn't it working? What is this magic?

Well, let's talk to him first then.

gUPwmZj.png

Arronax, I presume

9uF5nua.png

VCEwjWk.png

I've become involved in events beyond my control

mEaJ9uR.png

jM8SI4z.png

Are you aware that your father died that day?

FwjwYrL.png

His disappointment is understandable

f8HTSYY.png

Wait, you feel guilty over all this?

Klu7nWx.png

Z'an intervenes:

h662NLe.png

Arronax:

e8i77FK.png

Zan:

1knfsJy.png

Arronax:

N9Z3TxX.png

Zan:

xJpoHtP.png

Arronax:

waaPSYo.png

Zan:

rmSvVkQ.png

Arronax:

paZvfdR.png

Zan:

W1HZxJb.png

Arronax:

XW14dru.png

That's quite a turnaround from the day you killed me ( outside the Wheel clan, during the apparition )

DS4wHcV.png

I tire of your lies! Fight me!

UKsMpoD.png

That's impossible!

qpsQTb4.png

Who trapped you here?

xLeXqcb.png

Kerghan?! The necromancer you banished?

gasbHmz.png

But I thought he was a coward?

Nl4bSpU.png

9MiO5Wi.png

[tell him your story]

ZNffVsa.png

rFAzsEh.png

EFEdmXK.png

I'll help you [truth]

F1Rmkt5.png

I still need some answers

ulewtID.png

BMC, where are they?

XhQEq4B.png

tell me of the void

JVtkljH.png

The Council didn't know?

Y5cLxlI.png

More questions plz

53Kpu4L.png

What happened between you and Kerghan?

RLK1YzC.png

You attacked him outright?

9dMIONb.png

What happened at Vendigroth?

7KrCa3p.png

And then?

QqaIGkr.png

I have the device

Or9WGoH.png

Ok, let me see if I can release you.

We go back outside and clean up.

YppGicw.png

gdtLxP8.png

It is high time we showed Kerghan who's boss

7ymvQ0h.png

tVonEw2.png

Let's go

s8WpGOn.png

>have wp of 18
>one of the stronkest mages ever

h5jU4ux.png

The portal sends us to another 'island' with a bridge that takes us to Kerghan's palace. But let's explore a bit more before we go there.

nDAiPq5.png

mdOMoe1.png

5Wq3rdP.png

UOuRvbE.png

You can pick up the carcasses of the black lizards

DLfmoiP.png

There's a pool of blood to the north on this island. Hmm.

BODoYC8.png

hD55ZTt.png

Well well well

bYTGod9.png

Gorgot? You mean THE Gorgoth? Jolly, what a small world we live in

QR8VW9R.png

Wr6bpR8.png

RM28vWv.png

I have this carcass

Hfjympu.png

kI6M8TL.png

Alrighty

htpwpjH.png

We go to the next 'island'

5A0mJHQ.png

There are stairs that take us down to a cave

ITTE4Al.png

7wEHwTs.png

Gp2YDZA.png

NHDjz1d.png

And here we find the best melee weapon of the game

7S0ZKyd.png

Rh2Oxm6.png

Kryggird's Falchion

z9PINAV.png

I give this to Sogg and we move on

wKP6C60.png

eB8YZbl.png

dZqGVJd.png

Another one

fKS3OnI.png

4wBF3iy.png

That'd be me

5QU9bo0.png

Can I ask you something, oh might one?

3jlCHyd.png

tell me about yourself

PejAxDT.png

your life in arcanum

YyQgjdR.png

riLUJa7.png

1Lg4tHG.png

0fmXvZy.png

sIKt9xz.png

(that's not what the diary said)

how did you end up here?

7eiuZDh.png

What have you been up to?

oCHOCE9.png

few more general questions

IW2PmJN.png

Opinion on Kerghan the Terrible?

uETAVqr.png

I'm looking to destroy him

sWstmzs.png

GtOGp8g.png

You make it sound so easy! Why haven't you done it before?

V17ut8X.png

Ah, I see. He must be terrified!

G9lXAAh.png

0Ln0uTn.png

D95rNxC.png

What if I told you I could get you out of here?

0q93CwO.png

Right, right. So you'll join me?

mH4rn3X.png

We leave him to his own devices and travel further

g07P6up.png

3 guesses who that is

tSoW6ts.png

Who are you?

XRYqxJ7.png

So do you prefer 'Bane' or 'Mr. Kree'?

CZW4e5M.png

[push his blade away] What were we talking about?

IxiDNpM.png

How did you come by that name?

K8wLAAx.png

Is that when you were using the Bangellian Scourge?

iaQqbZE.png

I have heard tales of it

1rbK8nJ.png

I destroyed it

X6EM2Z5.png

06mJkNX.png

And what do ya know, the guy has Torian Kel's sword

DkPu13Z.png

oRnkkn5.png

Would you like it back?

eedmv8b.png

Here it is

Vl3kAkM.png

And the next portal takes us all the way back to the start

jc1tBQz.png

We retrace our steps to the bridge

hfefNB4.png

And cross over to Kerghan's kingdom

evx1aqu.png

Whatever existed in this realm must have been pretty advanced. Krygird's Falchion, portals, this:

vk9taiX.png

We take out the bouncers

33Ecmct.png

And go inside. The fighting comes thick and fast in this place.

HayCxuR.png

vfyUt2H.png

CIyLhcY.png

eM8sfZk.png

B6whf2Z.png

SANPNNZ.png

ch4JgD5.png

Here's the portal device the BMC must have been constructing!

RNuUMp7.png

jqsiM2l.png

Workshop

agzXdhu.png

JUtDtde.png

Nothing of interest though

glbp4AG.png

Gt6MYdK.png

The dwarves are dead

N3YxWt0.png

MQbxCXd.png

And the final room has not 2, not 3, but 4 bludgeoners protecting the final portal

fiFIPhy.png

I lose a couple of people in this fight and reload

1uUwNPq.png

My mistake, MOST not all of the dwarves are dead

Lq29de2.png

PqZYfAu.png

Who are you?

7KNSZgD.png

7dUwral.png

clTp48l.png

zxJhJD9.png

HnEOuWg.png

Bates' engine

a4gwbrt.png

What happened?

7CkgaIA.png

Qf0QAFC.png

BjhSUzj.png

GtvGRuS.png

JGs5s4J.png

xV6PI40.png

I will return to you once I'm done with Kerghan!

XIA1zUI.png

We don't really have to fight the bludgeoners, do we?

Rh7ah3I.png

No, we don't. I dash past them and step onto the circle. The final portal takes me deep inside the fortress, to the private chambers of Kerghan the Terrible

1Wo7fsL.png

Now, before we proceed, I want to warn you, reader, that the end to this adventure is rife with reloads, jumps in dialogue, restarts, reshuffles of party members etc. I've fought Kerghan perhaps 7 times over, so if this appears garbles, it's because it is.

NN2IAoU.png

g2hQQIk.png

I've heard his side of the story. Tell me yours.

gOB5HAd.png

iAmGxdY.png

ZEz5OAk.png

ITBCqz4.png

wFtPoXm.png

M551DOJ.png

Some might see that as evil

td0XidB.png

9JXLXCu.png

nsR0m5u.png

X3PgTR1.png

chWONtN.png

But the dark elves thought they were calling arronax

yDOvfKY.png

PeSgklw.png

Then what? What is it you want?

Gh0Gvst.png

Torian chimes in

NSP50YH.png

Interesting..

XpBzJML.png

Kerghan:

Cq68C2V.png

A few questions before we continue

oXaUBu8.png

How did you find yourself here?

w3CxnxK.png

Tell me what happened with Arronax?

lQLulNg.png

What happened with the Dark Elves?

t3oj8md.png

And what has that clan been doing?

UZHeAoO.png

What do you intend to do?

Zee99cd.png

(I tell him I see some merit in his words about life and death)

iTQ9mBZ.png

Your offer is tempting..

Arronax intercedes:
FUQ5yCY.png

*whisper* I can convince him he's wrong

hIpbiWH.png

ajucwKO.png

goSXDZQ.png

You're over-generalizing. Open your eyes.

gv84Rgx.png

JoEfnjS.png

Hold, Kerghan. That is based on YOUR experience

kHpSLnM.png

That is the nature of those particular souls

TXwv9sG.png

It's fate that some suffer and others find peace

ZiUVWnS.png

But maybe they hold on too tightly..

Gw9zQbH.png

I choose life. I will destroy you.

nS0Issb.png

It's me who ends up getting destroyed here.

Before I reload, a few quick words on this particular encounter. Your party members will always be split into 3 camps: the loyals ( Virgil, Sogg, Waromon and your dog ), the pro-Kerghanites ( Torian Kel ) and the anti-Kerghanites ( Franklin Payne, Arronax and Z'an ). The loyals will fight by your side no matter your choice in this encounter, whilst one of the latter 2 groups will always turn on you, depending on your choice.

From what I can recall, there are a total of 5 choices I can make here:

i) Agree to join Kerghan and do the quest for him ( which has you killing Krakatur, Gorgoth, Bane and Arronax )
ii) Agree to carry out Kerghan's plans upon your return to Arcanum, but tell Kerghan that you'll destory all life by yourself and that you don't need him ( which leads to you fighting him now )
iii) Take the side of life and fight Kerghan
iv) Convince Kerghan that his plans are misguided and help him to sever his bond to existence
v) The ending that I really wanted: tell Kerghan that you'll help him, then talk to him again and tell him you've changed your mind and that you will return to Arcanum by yourself as a God

With a big party, any choice you make leads to a complete clusterfuck free-for-all where half of your party fights the other half. It doesn't help that Kerghan seems to be able to call upon the blue ghouls ie. Lord's Slaves ( remember Malochi Rench? ). In my game these guys seem to be completely bugged, because they attack me ALWAYS. If I side with Kerghan, if I stand against Kerghan, they don't care. So navigating this final part turns out to be a lot tricker than I remembered it to be.

I reload the game and retrace the conversation to the point where Arronax objects to my comporting with Kerghan's views on life and death:

M5IdbkZ.png

Look at you - agony, pain. He's offering peace.

kWMz57k.png

But we all die in the end anyways

X7wElcX.png

You won't even entertain the idea that he might be right?

xaDpkqY.png

Let's put an end to this lunatic's existence then.

We continue the conversation with Kerghan and I tell him he's a complete madman

VsAajGB.png

I'd be inclined to say no..

gLNxZOS.png

Can you support YOUR opinion?

CrHkGbN.png

I'd have to say you're correct. I have a few words to say..

kxqXVMi.png

rU8FQUf.png

I have only my experience to draw from.

is9SP3D.png

Isn't it presumptuous of you?

7ySOGG8.png

Yes, but they're based on YOUR opinion

FhOxq4P.png

Maybe your opinions bias your observations?

QlhLQlC.png

Yes, but..

tZD6B0L.png

I choose ... death. I will stand with you, Kerghan.

GOnBowe.png

We fight against Arronax, Zan and Payne

KFFj2QP.png

X1dToha.png

FOknfjg.png

I've changed my mind

gy0Vmyy.png

Arcanum will have no pantheon. I will it's sole God!

35003oV.png

A darker God. Fear, and fear only, will make them obey..

WxcJmKN.png

Let's do this

ESr4pef.png

Z7uoVJP.png

We bring his health down to 0. He goes into his human form and begins to regenerate his powers. I grab the Vendigroth device and kablam! I've won..

The cutscene rolls, we see the device kill Kerghan with a thousand cuts. The portal device built by the dwarves ignites and we escape the Void back to Arcanum.

But.. I'm not showing you the ending, because it's just WRONG. I get an ending that is the exact opposite of what I chose, an ending that makes no sense in light of what's just transpired between Kerghan and myself. A very bad bug, indeed.

I reload the game, kill half my party once again and demand to be made a JUST God:

wIaFQKy.png

wrkvuyo.png

What would you have me do?

w8n9MBv.png

qB8QKON.png

Just tell me what needs doing..

VhJTJ0P.png

What are the portal stones?

niPBNZp.png

Are there still people here?

EihXm9X.png

Ok, I'm ready

8vyVKHC.png

I'll do so and return [lie]
c18fAZY.png

I'm gonna kill you instead

r4zNVqb.png

I will be the sole God who returns

lGvD6yY.png

A just God

Bn3SbBz.png

jewViQZ.png

Same shit. The ending that makes no sense. I try it with the quiet God and 'I dunno' choices, nada. Doesn't work.

I reloaded the game and decided to fight Kerghan directly, and after 2 attempts I finally sussed out an ending. When I realized that the 'good' ending is the only one that's not bugged, I decided to reload the game and convince Kerghan to stand down, without fighting him at all

jT58d7A.png

jT58d7A.png

Assumption based on YOUR experience

WH6sVD0.png

That is the nature of those particular souls

RdfIAmT.png

They hold on too tightly

GklGUiq.png

The PAIN is of their own making

d82yaAE.png

I've spoken to souls who were not in pain

y34QwdV.png

The distortion is caused by the eyes with which we choose to see

aLlrzEd.png

No, I have a solution. I will free you once and for all.

Z94q9KV.png

The Vendigroth Device, it will sever all ties

qOokYTy.png

Yes, I will free you from the pain

A2obDLH.png

NZpVEry.png

SGPfO6p.png

5veWqUr.png

Kerghan is destoyed; the Portal opens and we go back to Arcanum, all of us, without our Godhood.

The cutscene ends and the slides roll out. The following text is the voice of the narrator:

refwvMZ.png

Jongle Dunne formulates a way to turn lead into gold, after you supply him with ingredients, and becomes the richest man in Arcanum.

D80TryU.png

Because you defeated Lukan and freed the ghost of Bessie Toone, the mine is reopened and a new silver vein is discovered. Shrouded Hills becomes a boom town.

S3gClvI.png

After the deaths of Bates and Cedric Appleby, there is no longer a steady source of steam engines. Shortly the sewers of Tarant break down and electrical power systems fail. In a matter of months, Tarant is thrown into chaos

U3dRPEF.png

Maximilian returns to Cumbria, and is hailed as the rightful king. Cumbria becomes a powerful nation, adept in both magic and technology, and the Dragon Knights are revived under Lianna Pel Dar.

z3xJE4x.png

Because you convinced the mayor of Black Root to rejoin Cumbria, there is a small struggle for ownership of the town. Maximilian is victorious, and under his rule, Black Root becomes one of the most important port cities in Arcanum.

IbAeu7X.png

Under the renewed leadership of Loghaire Thunder Stone, the Wheel Clan rejoins the world. He lives for eight hundred years, and becomes a hero to the dwarves

F7sxIYK.png

The Bedokaan ally with the elves, and rid the forest and Dark Fens of those who would harm the land. The Bedokaan become civilized, and share the wonders of the new age.

rKUZXCf.png

After Arronax returns to Arcanum, he buries his father. Then he raises Vendigroth from the wastes, and it becomes a place of awe and wonder.

3hUNIRC.png

Yet, after all of this, Arcanum is still what it always was: a place of possibility, a place of change. One thing is certain and that is that nothing is ever certain in this place. Who's to say what the future holds for the land we call Arcanum?

Ar.. are you for real? Not only did they deprive me of my Godhood ( any Godhood! let alone the one I wanted ), but THEY DON'T EVEN SHOW ME CALADON FUCKING TARANT WITH FLYING GUNSHIPS. What was the point of mucking about all that time in Caladon, if the game doesn't acknowledge it? Is there a hard limit to how many slides I can see?

I feel a bit deflated. So much tinkering with the quests to get what you wanted, and then -poof- nothing. A great game, but the glitches definitely dragged the experience down a notch this time around. But hey, you don't want to read my whining for 10 paragraphs so let's move on.

Having refreshed my memory, I'd place Arcanum a bit above Fallout 2 and a little bit below PST in my personal favourites ( this list is basically a 'wheel' that rotates with the years, never fixing in place ). I think Kerghan is a good villain, but he falls well short of Tony Jay's brilliantly voiced villain in Torment, the Transcendent One. The setting of Arcanum, however, is fantastic, and puts many contemporaries to shame. I would say that the setting is the best in any game I've played to date, and it is the only one in which I never tire of uncovering new lore.

Pareto principle postulates that 80% of effects comes from 20% of causes. I think a variation on that principle is quite applicable to gaming as a whole: 20% of games cover 80% of the variation in mechanics, story and setting. Playing a handful of games will give you the lay of the land, so to speak. Playing Arcanum will give you a complete perspective on the isometric rpg genre that is not matched by any other game. There are games that had better writing, better mechanics, perhaps a better story, but there is no one single game that can match Arcanum's scope and quality in ALL of those departments. Crafting, magic, tech, 16 skills and 8 stats, c&c, extensive dialogue trees. I can go on and on. That alone makes Arcanum a veritable classic.

What happened after Arcanum? The ending implied an impending sequel. And true enough, a sequel was in the works in the early 00s. A design document leaked by Drog appeared on this very site in 2015.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0naWlTE4ubBZmNZQ2FIVEg0Z0E/view

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ch-document-for-unmade-arcanum-sequel.104723/

This was one of the four preliminary design documents, according to Tim Cain. He revealed a 2nd version during his recent stream of Fallout 1 with Leonard Boyarsky: in which you travel to the 'centre of Arcanum' in search of the late, great Franklin Payne. It would have had dinosaurs in it. And would have been a 'great game' according to Cain. I don't doubt him. But I do sometimes wonder if the transition to 3d would have been as smooth as they hoped. Arx Fatalis, a medium-budget 3d rpg released in 2002, which is well regarded on this site, had about as much scale and variety in enemies and settings as Arcanum's Dredge and the Black Mountain Mine between them..

For all we know, Arcanum 2 might have been a far smaller game on a far bigger budget. Think of the laughable stealth mechanic in 1: can you imagine that same mechanic rivaling Thief in the sequel? I can't.

But all that is irrelevant. Troika closed its doors back in February of '05, almost 14 years ago to the day. The IP is now held in the clutches of Activision and will most likely stay there for a long, long time. I hope that Cainarsky can pull the rabbit out of the bag once more with their upcoming Outer Worlds, and sincerely wish them all the best in all future projects, but this is the end for Arcanum.

Now that I think of it, perhaps the wrong ending was not a glitch? Perhaps it was the game's way of nudging me towards the truth, towards the one True ending. The music stops, the screen goes black and we are treated to a single slide

zox4ytK.png

Having joined with Kerhgan, you help him destroy all life on Arcanum. Once it is accomplished, Kerghan turns on you, a struggle you barely win. You are now waiting on the ruins of Arcanum, waiting for your end.

Last edited:
:/ Why did you skip out on UAP, anyway?

In retrospect, Arcanum's story appears to me to be quite diluted. Instead of being focused on a single central issue plus a few auxiliary themes its all over the place with magic vs technology, commentary on racism and industrial revolution and religion, monarchy vs oligarchy, while it ends on an entirely different conflict that somehow manages to involve a ton of vaguely connected ideas on its own from fate vs free will to absurdism to the structure of logical arguments. As a result I think Arcanum's ideas, while many, are deceptively shallow, as without dedicating itself to an exploration of a particular theme it can only say so much. Of course, as you point out, tackling such a broad range of topics adequately can be seen as an achievement in its own right.

Egosphere

Arcane

Ah, well, that was due to haste of trying to get the 2nd playthrough going. Before this LP, I never managed to get High res patch to work. When the multiverse stopped working, I needed a replacement quickly. So I installed the high res patch and started to tinker with it until it finally clicked. Problem was that you had to install the UAP before the high res patch, and I didn't want to waste more time on uninstalling and reinstalling everything.

I agree about the 'ideas' of Arcanum. This is especially jarring in the final boss fight. You get completely blindsided by Kerghan's revelation about the souls and the great sea of the dead and whatnot. You spend the game gearing up to fight an elf ultra nationalist and in the end you're not even sure what you're fighting for, or why you're fighting at all. This is almost a direct opposite of Planescape Torment, where the focus is on immortality, your previous lives etc. from the very first minute. The ending of pst carries a bigger punch.

I think they were ready to greatly simplify the story in the sequel. Looking at that design document, what's striking is that it would be nigh on impossible to condense the story of the first game into a couple of paragraphs.

Great LP! Shame about the bugs, I really wanted to see the ascension to Godhoor and hand-wringing Gnomish plotters of Tarant getting some what for.

I'd place Arcanum a bit above Fallout 2

As a game, FO2 is superior.
But Arcanum is more... creative, so to say. I think FO2 deserved a bit more work not to be a same engine mission pack sequel, but it was still a fantastic game.

In retrospect, Arcanum's story appears to me to be quite diluted. Instead of being focused on a single central issue plus a few auxiliary themes its all over the place with magic vs technology, commentary on racism and industrial revolution and religion, monarchy vs oligarchy, while it ends on an entirely different conflict that somehow manages to involve a ton of vaguely connected ideas on its own from fate vs free will to absurdism to the structure of logical arguments. As a result I think Arcanum's ideas, while many, are deceptively shallow, as without dedicating itself to an exploration of a particular theme it can only say so much. Of course, as you point out, tackling such a broad range of topics adequately can be seen as an achievement in its own right.

I would't say diluted. I think they wanted to show the world of Arcanum in all its epic scope, and we got it in spades. A lot of ideas and themes.
- Conflict of Magic vs Technology
- Racism
- Industrial Revolution
- Religion
- Life and Death
- Politics
- Fantasy Races and how they would be seen from a more modern, "darwinistic" scientific perspective.
- Many ethic connudruns

Arcanum is a game with A LOT to say, and it says it quite well.

I feel that if Arcanum was made today, we would have had probably a far smaller game. I for one would have had it centered around Shroudded Hills, Dernholm and Tarant. Then expanded each of these locations. Especially Tarant, which I think is the best part of the game and one of the best cities in RPGs. I feel one of the problems of Arcanum is how such a big game it is, its about as big as Fallout 2, if not bigger - except FO2 was made on the back of an already existing game, with an already-existing engine and most of the original's team. Its more epic, but perhaps it would have benefited from a Fallout 1-style scale, and then had a Fallout 2-scale "Bigger and Better" same engine sequel.

(btw, the map of Arcanum Landmass is horrible. No, I don't mean that the map looks bad, but its a chunky-ass continent. Geography sez that chunky-ass continents end up with big ole patches of desert in the middle unless you have an inland sea and no rain shadows around)

I think Arcanum is the classic case of "RPG Mission Creep", where the Devs are clearly struggling between adding more new shiny things, patching up the game, and trying to pander to the publisher at the same time. A good example is Real-Time Combat and Multiplayer. Mixed RT/TB games were totally a thing during the period, a concession of more "hardcore" devs to the casual element - see: Fallout Tactics, X-COM Apocalypse, Arcanum, Van Buren. Ironically, I think that was for the best, because it was quite proven that mixing RT and TB does not work - pick a system and stick to it.

I think Arcanum's "Spiritual Sibling", aside from the original Fallouts, is X-COM Apocalypse, a game which underwent very similar pressures and problems.

I also think Arcanum's graphics are not good. The art direction is good, of course :obviously: but I think it looks worse than the original Fallouts in many aspects. I know Troika was borderline an indie studio at the time and I don't fault them, but go look at the sprite animations of Fallout and compare to Arcanum's, even if Arcanum is obviously technically superior.

The magic system is one of the best I've seen, even if the AI has no way of defending itself against the cheesy spells you can thrown at it. One thing I think they slipped on, was not giving you the possibility of discovering unknown ancient spells that you can't get from level-ups. The game just showers you with magical loot instead. Tech is far better in this regard in that it rewards exploration a lot.

Its also still better than most of the drek released after it.

Egosphere

Arcane
Great LP! Shame about the bugs, I really wanted to see the ascension to Godhoor and hand-wringing Gnomish plotters of Tarant getting some what for.
My 3 goals for this LP were to kickstart a big war between Dernholm and Tarant, between Caladon and Tarant and to ascend to evil God status. All 3 didn't materialize :(
On the topic of Godhood, what does that end entail exactly? I never actually did it in my 3 playthroughs. Do you still get all of the slides for the other towns? Or is it just the one slide, like the Kerghan ending? I scoured youtube and a few lp sites and didn't see anyone post a godhood ending, so I'm still in the dark on that one.

I feel that if Arcanum was made today, we would have had probably a far smaller game. I for one would have had it centered around Shroudded Hills, Dernholm and Tarant. Then expanded each of these locations. Especially Tarant, which I think is the best part of the game and one of the best cities in RPGs. I feel one of the problems of Arcanum is how such a big game it is, its about as big as Fallout 2, if not bigger - except FO2 was made on the back of an already existing game, with an already-existing engine and most of the original's team. Its more epic, but perhaps it would have benefited from a Fallout 1-style scale, and then had a Fallout 2-scale "Bigger and Better" same engine sequel.

I'd take Blackroot over Shrouded Hills, but that sounds about right. A big town with a couple of smaller ones is par for course, really. Arcanum over-extends itself with Tarant, Caladon, Ashbury, Shrouded Hills, Dernholm, Blackroot, Tulla + the dwarven clans + elves + non-trivial settlements like the penal colony and Roseborough.

I also think Arcanum's graphics are not good. The art direction is good, of course :obviously: but I think it looks worse than the original Fallouts in many aspects. I know Troika was borderline an indie studio at the time and I don't fault them, but go look at the sprite animations of Fallout and compare to Arcanum's, even if Arcanum is obviously technically superior.

I thought that the first time I played it, but I think Arcanum's animations don't do the sprites themselves any justice. The sprites are fine in Arcanum, and there are far more gory death animations than first meets the eye: decapitations, cutting in half, exploding ribcages etc. which work not just on humans, but also on the bestiary. The problem seems to stem from the speed of the animation itself. Fallout's animations would be slower, so you could take in all of the details, whilst many of Arcanum's animations are too fast. You decapitate a guy and you might just catch a glimpse his head fly off his shoulders, but the game doesn't doesn't spend much time on the details. Perhaps duplicating some of the key frames to draw out the length would have worked. Perhaps the sheer quantities of beasts you encounter in Arcanum led to the animations being sped up to give combat encounters a respectable time frame. The absence of any sound effects beyond a standard groan or yelp from your moribund enemies doesn't help matters.

I was impressed by the fortresses, though. I forgot how many unique ones there were. Ashbury, Dernholm, Caladon, Wheel Clan, Bate's Manor, Void, Vendigroth. I guess they somewhat make up for the boxy, cookie cutter buildings that house the Tarant University and Zoological societies.. Fallout 2's other great advantage lies in multiple storeys. New Reno casinos look great.

Some notes:

1) If you want to ascend to godhood, you can still do it. But.... it's not straightforward.
I think you can do it even without Velorien's blessing (I truly think this is an oversight); you have first to ally with Kerghan. Then, reject his plans and when he asks why you have changed your idea, tell him you are going to become a God.
Here you can find all the endings too: https://arcanum.fandom.com/wiki/Endings

Personal note: I never understood how you are supposed to make the "champion of death" ending happen.
This one:
You take the title of Death's Champion on your return to Arcanum. The only survivors you leave are scattered groups hiding in the wastelands. Arcanum never recovers.

2) The war between Tarant and other places would not happen, simply because you made Tarant a mess. I think that if you didn't kill Bates, war would happen.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I always thought Arcanum's story was about death, human lives and ideas beeing fleeting and mortality and pain. It is the main theme that runs from the first quest you find in the game and if you combine Loghaire (who is neutral observer on the matter), Virgil (who is positive) and Kerghan (negative) speeches it seems like it repeats itself in sort of secret holy trinity.

Or maybe it's all other the place, but after Virgil's resurrection it always clicked for me. He is probably the most important character in the game, even more so than the villain and always echoes everything that happens including talking back to Kerghan in the end.

Egosphere

Arcane
Some notes:

1) If you want to ascend to godhood, you can still do it. But.... it's not straightforward.
I think you can do it even without Velorien's blessing (I truly think this is an oversight); you have first to ally with Kerghan. Then, reject his plans and when he asks why you have changed your idea, tell him you are going to become a God.
Here you can find all the endings too: https://arcanum.fandom.com/wiki/Endings

Personal note: I never understood how you are supposed to make the "champion of death" ending happen.
This one:
You take the title of Death's Champion on your return to Arcanum. The only survivors you leave are scattered groups hiding in the wastelands. Arcanum never recovers.

2) The war between Tarant and other places would not happen, simply because you made Tarant a mess. I think that if you didn't kill Bates, war would happen.

I did exactly what you described in part 1, but the ending was bugged. I'd tell Kerghan I'm going to be a God, kill him, then wind up returning to Arcanum with Kerghan to clean it of life in the ending slide. The champion of death ending can never be achieved, I think. It's an oversight from Troika. It should have been triggered if you die in the last fight against Kerghan.

The Tarant blowing up before Caladon war gets off the ground did cross my mind, but it doesn't make sense that there is a scuffle between Dernholm and Tarant over Blackroot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom