Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Just look at dog or waromon, they both become melee with mastery
Precisely, monsters/animals/undead/robots not only get melee training automatically, they also get free points in this skill, depending on their DX and level.

Normal non-monster NPCs do not get any training, unless you have the educator background.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
OK, Major_Blackhart, your Gar fix is done. It's actually p awesome in action. The game now shows him as a full blooded Orc, you can check out his race icon, you can even read his aura via a spell and yeah all of that would say Orc. But... if you meet the dialog requirements and manage to expose his ruse, his stats will instantly change to human, you can see the race icon changing from evil looking crossed barbarian swords to nice and proper crossed pistols. And he's like oh please, of course I'm not an Orc, Garfield Telonius III is of pure human descent!!

Sadly tho, not only is he a human, his social class is city dweller, so his max ST is only 19. Sure sucks, but I will leave it be. At any rate you can use items/drugs/spells with ST bonuses to give him ST 20.

Last edited:

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Drog Black Tooth The new Vigil Debug doesn't work correctly with WIP6.0. After equipping the ring, Virgil transforms into a shut/blocked door, haha.
Just letting you know.

Speaking of which, I have another engine module that lets NPCs automatically train any skill they put points into, all the way up to Master. But that kinda makes the educator background obsolete and maybe also makes party members too powerful. But I have this done, just in case.

I would love to see NPC be trained beyond expert. Isn't there a way that the skill masters train your NPC (maybe with certain PC check) for a hefty price? and/or even the educator background is required. Just to keep some balance...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Drog Black Tooth The new Vigil Debug doesn't work correctly with WIP6.0. After equipping the ring, Virgil transforms into a shut/blocked door, haha.
Just letting you know.
Seems like rroyo used the same script number as me for something else. I guess I should probably move it all the way to the back of the script name range to prevents things like this. Check that link in an hour or so, I'll update it.

Speaking of which, I have another engine module that lets NPCs automatically train any skill they put points into, all the way up to Master. But that kinda makes the educator background obsolete and maybe also makes party members too powerful. But I have this done, just in case.

I would love to see NPC be trained beyond expert. Isn't there a way that the skill masters train your NPC (maybe with certain PC check) for a hefty price? and/or even the educator background is required. Just to keep some balance...
Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way to assign NPCs any skill training via dialogs/scripts. I guess I could change the educator background to make party members your equals, so that you both can be melee masters etc.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just letting you know.
Seems like rroyo used the same script number as me for something else. I guess I should probably move it all the way to the back of the script name range to prevents things like this. Check that link in an hour or so, I'll update it.

Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way to assign NPCs any skill training via dialogs/scripts. I guess I could change the educator background to make party members your equals, so that you both can be melee masters etc.

Great! Thanks!

NPC being equals as the PC works for me.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
OracleX, done. Moved all debugging scripts all the way to #60000, lol. Hopefully there isn't a retard in the world that wants to use that space.

Speaking of which, this script doesn't overwrite any existing dialog files, it only uses Virgil as a vehicle so to speak, so it should be compatible with all localized versions as well.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Gave it a test run and it works like a charm.
I guess Bates wants this ring even more.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Gave it a test run and it works like a charm.
I guess Bates wants this ring even more.
lol

But seriously just use a fate point to pickpocket it back from him... or you can outright refuse to surrender it for a rather hilarious reaction

puppyonastik

Augur
Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way to assign NPCs any skill training via dialogs/scripts.
That's a shame. What, if it's not too difficult to describe, is preventing this? Is there a possible roundabout solution? Maybe allow the player to control a party member, like you mentioned before, and then have them talk with a teacher? Hmmm ... might require new dialogue added though.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
No.

Maybe in a month or so. I want the 2.0 release of the UAP to be a very polished product and de-facto the only patch you'll ever need. High Resolution Patch, HQ Townmaps, HQ Music, Extra Animations etc will all be bundled in.

Just spent the whole evening redoing the extra animations pack from scratch, turns out the current pack had plenty of problems, also added even more engine patches to make all animations play properly.

Anyway, stay tuned. I'll set up a webpage and make an announcement when the time comes.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Looking really forward to this Drog. You quite hijacked the Multiverse thread but it's totally worth it!
Expect any compatibility issue with previous arcanum installs? (clean install? old patches, Saved games, WIP6.0 etc etc)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Expect any compatibility issue with previous arcanum installs? (clean install? old patches, Saved games, WIP6.0 etc etc)
The new installer is currently programmed like this:
-- Check the CRC checksum of Arcanum1-3.dat files, if the same as English vanilla then:
-- Nuke everything but the said DATs, the DATs in \modules and movies
-- Then the installer re-applies the official 1.0.7.4 update, adds music in a much better quality, etc

Yes, you will be warned that the installer is going to wipe all your mods and save games and asked if you still wish to proceed.

Basically it's kinda like those Doom/Quake source ports where you only need the original WADs/PAKs. So it doesn't matter at all if you have A:WIP or even some localization patch installed. As long as Troika's original DATs are intact then it will be updated to vanilla UAP 2.0.

This is done because your old save games won't even load with the new UAP (too many engine changes) and as for mods, I've mentioned in another thread that Arcanum is not very modular, and unless one is very careful with adding content, then some issues are bound to rear their ugly head. Sure you can try adding w/e mods after the UAP install is complete, but I want you to experience the clean version first.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
The new installer is currently programmed like this:
-- Check the CRC checksum of Arcanum1-3.dat files, if the same as English vanilla then:
-- Nuke everything but the said DATs, the DATs in \modules and movies
-- Then the installer re-applies the official 1.0.7.4 update, adds music in a much better quality, etc

Yes, you will be warned that the installer is going to wipe all your mods and save games and asked if you still wish to proceed.

Basically it's kinda like those Doom/Quake source ports where you only need the original WADs/PAKs. So it doesn't matter at all if you have A:WIP or even some localization patch installed. As long as Troika's original DATs are intact then it will be updated to vanilla UAP 2.0.

This is done because your old save games won't even load with the new UAP (too many engine changes) and as for mods, I've mentioned in another thread that Arcanum is not very modular, and unless one is very careful with adding content, then some issues are bound to rear their ugly head. Sure you can try adding w/e mods after the UAP install is complete, but I want you to experience the clean version first.

I see. thanks for the broad explanation. The executable will be untouched then? Might try override my other installs (will make backups) while getting a new clean install too.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I see. thanks for the broad explanation. The executable will be untouched then? Might try override my other installs (will make backups) while getting a new clean install too.
Everything but the DATs and movies will be overwritten, including Arcanum.exe, WorldEd, etc. I suggest you just make another Arcanum installation for A:WIP or what have you, the full game is only 2GB, a non-issue on modern HDDs. Simply copy the whole folder and name it Arcanum Mods or w/e.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
On another topic, would you people be interested in playing as female gnomes and halflings? I tried using normal female sprite scaled down to 70% and it looks surprisingly good, the scaling is not that obvious.

They were planned to be available at one point in the development, IIRC at least one dialog check for a female gnome is still there.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Here's her standing next to a normal male gnome:
DcEXut8.png
Nwmar8x.png

Yes, robe sprites are supposed to be a bit taller.

Yay/Nay/Meh?

Poseidon

Educated
Here's her standing next to a normal male gnome:
DcEXut8.png
Nwmar8x.png

Yes, robe sprites are supposed to be a bit taller.

Yay/Nay/Meh?

Definitely yay, but I feel like females should be shorter than males in general. Maybe try 75%? Although, looking at the picture on the left, it seems as if their heads become way too small.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Been playing with several ideas for the HD main menu backgrounds, how about a painting/mirror in a Victorian style room? Here's a very crude mock up:
c4b07fd5-17f6-41ad-92c3-e050cb69b4eb
RcN1lgy.jpg

passerby

Arcane
You have a victorian style room with a frame that contains a victorian style room with another frame and it looks really awkward.

Don't waste your time with such unimportant cosmetics.
Just the black background looks the best, or eventually the one below, all the others looks like too busy cheap photoshops they are.

PmeaALh.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom