Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Junmarko, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Bug: At least one of the Backgrounds is broken. If I create a new character and click the Left arrow for Backgrounds, the game immediately crashes. Likewise if I click the Right arrow 52 times (yes, I counted) the game immediately crashes. It's the Background after "Raised by Halflings", and/or the last Background in the list.

^ Top  
  2. deama Liturgist

deama
    Hmm, I never got that error, though I played on the version from last year? But then again, I recently(several months?) checked it out again and updated it via the updater, and I remember going through the list and it didn't crash.

I have the game installed and just checked, I only counted 48 backgrounds (excluding the non background, my version is from early this year). I counted it twice, so is there a patch out that adds more backgrounds or ?

EDIT: the last background before "non background" is "Dark Sight". Also, it seems that I don't have that "Raised by Halflings" background.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    ^ Top  
  3. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    With AutoUpdate enabled, I get an update that installs version 14.0.0.2. For testing purposes I uninstalled and then re-installed AMV, and repeated the process WITHOUT installing the update. No crashes, but there are 67 Backgrounds in total in version 1.4.0.0, so the problem is not confined to a single Background - any additions/changes to them since 14.0.0.0 will have to be looked at again.

^ Top  
  4. unsolicited. Novice

unsolicited.
    For some reason my game is still in russian even after I changed it to english in the config (I clicked "apply"...) . Anyone else got this issue?

Edit: running version 1.4.0.2

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. opium fiend Augur

opium fiend
    Ok been trying for hours to create a custom portrait, followed the guide to the point of learning it by heart, no luck. Are there any interesting portrait packs anywhere?
    half orc female looks like shit

^ Top  
  6. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Is there any workarounds for the main menu being mega fucking sluggish?

^ Top  
  7. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    I had that issue (not just menus but everywhere) and fixed it using DDraw Fix.

^ Top  
  8. opium fiend Augur

opium fiend
    Isn't that fix included in Multiverse?

^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I mean, you don't really need xp cap removal in Arcanum. You become so OP later game and well able to pew-pew whatever you want to.

I tried a pretty standard Multiverse setup last time sticking to the basics and it seemed the right way to go, though I only tested the first few hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    So,
    how are things going there?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. sagat91 Novice

sagat91
    have the same problem
    and yes I have the current version

^ Top  
  12. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Can anyone translate this thing?
    Did I won, or it's game over?
    [​IMG]
    That's the final screen from Dungeon of Lost Souls.
    Set free all merchants except magic shopper, there was blue guy in the jail set nearby throne room, with some weird pale skinned lady, every time I pick the lock - that screen shows up.

You gain levels even faster, like holy hell - got 27lvl in almost no time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    There is at least one custom portrait pack I think on Tera Arcanum website. It has a ton of actual or doctored photos, but some decent created portraits as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ilitarist Learned Illiterate Village Idiot

ilitarist
    "The death of Lady Lavaria had put an end to a horror ruling over Mirilore. Fernando as well as Samantha and other survivors had stayed in this place for long, long years. In the eyes of people living in Mirilore you remain a hero, they've made song about you and sang them the following years."

Sounds like a scripting error giving you end screen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. kasapnecmi Literate

kasapnecmi
    Hey guys, just created an account to post here. I just played and finished the whole game using the latest Multiverse Edition 1.4.0.2 patch. And I'd like to give feedback, hoping it's still being worked on.

Firstly, the game is perfectly playable at this point, and there are only a few major bugs. Thankfully none of them are game breaking. I played the game as a good aligned human tech gunslinger.

First bug is mentioned here earlier, with when you scroll left for the last background while creating character, the game crashes immediately, but it's not a big deal obviously.

Second one, and the most annoying one I faced is when you load a game, most of the time the reactions of other people get assigned a stupid number, something like 182371928731(love). This wouldn't be such a big deal, if only that number occasionally didn't become a negative number (looks like an unsigned integer issue caused by a script). So, there were a lot of times where as soon as I load the game, everyone around me including my own companions had a reaction like -123124214(hatred) against me and attacked me straight away. The only resolution for that I could find was reloading the same save game, and hoping it would fix itself. Sometimes when I reload, only some of my followers would attack, the rest would have normal reactions. So, reloading worked eventually, but sometimes took 10-20 times of reloading and sometimes needed me to exit the game and enter it again. It wasn't gamebreaking, but it was tedious from time to time.

Third major bug is with the endgame, even though I played the English version of the game, the end game videos were in Russian for some reason. So, I found and watched endgame videos in youtube to understand what the guy was talking about.

I know Arcanum originally had a lot of bugs with the quests and such, but I am happy to say that all of them seem to be fixed. I never faced any bugs in any parts of the quests or the story.

I'd like to replay the game with a magick based evil char with different followers, but I want to wait for a fix for at least the second and third bugs that I mentioned. Hopefully the project is not abandoned, because it's really cool and in a great state with lots of interesting new features. The only new feature I would like to see is to find a way to keep up the challenge in combat, as it becomes quite trivial as you improve your character.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who worked on Multiverse Edition, and the people who created the patches and mods that are used in Multiverse Edition. What they've done is truly amazing. I'm awed by your efforts and commitment to make Arcanum a truly great game.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Honestly that sounds worse than playing it with just the official patch.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  17. Black Arcane

Black
    Yeah, where did those bugs even come from? If OG Arcanum + Drogg's patch don't have these issues what excuse is there to have them now?

^ Top  
  18. OracleX Augur Patron

OracleX
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I wouldn't mind seeing the official modules added to the main game. would it dis balance the game? yes. but playing it so many times, I really don't care. the mod aWIP inserted the lost dungeon which was quite impressive work. I rather play that over multiverse honestly

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Yrvyne Novice

Yrvyne
    Does this edition integrate 127 character levels?

^ Top  
  20. kasapnecmi Literate

kasapnecmi
    Yes it does.

About this bug, I found a workaround on reddit. This bug is said to happen only when running the game at a resolution of 1600x1200 or above. So, I'm trying with a lower resolution now. Just started a new playthrough, seems to be working fine so far.

And, I would still continue playing the game with Multiverse Edition, even if there wasn't a workaround. I think it's a great project.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. kasapnecmi Literate

kasapnecmi
    I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I will still write about my playthrough in case it helps anyone.

Playing the game on 1600x1200 resolution fixed the negative reactions bug I mentioned, strange that it's related to resolution but it's what it is. That was an annoying bug, so it's good to be able to play without this bug.

As I mentioned earlier, I started my second playthrough using the latest Multiverse 1.4.0.2 version again and as an Evil Elven Mage. The game went really well till I tried to join the Dark Elves, at which point I was already level 44. However, the quest to join dark elves involves 'Kill all the inhabitants of Stillwater' quest. I've killed all of them many times, tried over and over again but the game just doesn't recognize that all of them are dead. In case someone says 'You probably forgot some NPC somewhere', I will list everyone I killed so that we can make sure it's not me who missed someone. General goods gnome merchant, all the nobodies in the pub, half orc beggar outside the pub, everyone inside the inn, all 4 guards in town, priestess in the temple, blacksmith Richard Leeks, dodge master Adkin, local mage Cyrus, ruby admirer Gildor Nightwalk, the statue thief Marley, the smartass elf Myrth, crazy rabbit hunter Stanley Hippington, the ogre Drog Black Tooth, and even the purple rabbit in the lair. There's not a single living soul in the city.

I googled a lot but seems like nobody else faced this issue, or nobody bothered to write about it. I thought maybe it was related to my save game, because I had already killed Myrth and Marley much earlier, maybe they were the problem. So I thought, if I could kill everyone with my previous savegame from my previous playthrough, and compare the values in the savegames before and after the killing via the Hex Editor, then I could understand which values refer to the killing and getting the 'Butcher of Stillwater' reputation. So I did that, and because I was good aligned in my previous one, everybody was alive and in the city, including Adkin. Unfortunately, after killing everyone again, nothing changed, I still didn't get that reputation and didn't earn the fate point from killing everyone.

As this is the only way to join the Dark Elves and continue with the evil path, I decided to give up and left the game at this point. I'm writing this to in case anyone else will be thinking about playing the evil path using Multiverse edition.

Considering the project seems to be abandoned, maybe you guys were right, maybe I should have played without the Multiverse Edition. Anyway, I played too much Arcanum recently. I guess it's time for a Baldur's Gate playthrough :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    there are many 'original version' game bugs fixed in multiverse edition (I reported many of them) and to be honest your post is a bit disrespectful for all the work they've done. Especially because as soon as I or anyone reported a bug, they would just fix it if they had the chance.

And....
    > the reaction bug is due to resolution.
    > The background issue is easily "avoidable".
    > The ending will be probably fixed.

kasapnecmi Do you have a savegame before going to stillwater? I mean a savegame where you just accepted the quest. If yes, try to kill once again all of stillwater and then, if it doesn't work, publish your savegame.

The russian stuff at the end is probably leftover. Have you actually changed the cinematic setting from russian to English?

Let's just hope Macbeth comes back. By the way, Macbeth, how is Sem going?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • butthurt x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Black Arcane

Black
    Oh no.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. kasapnecmi Literate

kasapnecmi
    I have a lot of savegames, and tried many times from different points of time back. I've uploaded 2 savegames, 1 from just before taking the dark elf quest and 1 right after having killed everyone in Stillwater: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MXg3j6aZWD23Bi11jAzKd-ly4793mwbO

^ Top  
  25. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all 'bad' opinions if one actually played it.

I just find silly that people actually come here suggesting to use Drog's version when it is actually far from perfect. Especially because he planned to release a 2.0 patch and he got sick of it before completing it.

So it's not like the game is actually bugless with Drog.

By the way, @ kasapnecmi
    I've also checked the background stuff and I do not have any crash when I scroll left for the last background while creating character.

For the final videos in Russian I can't check now.

Edit: I seem to remember they added new backgrounds. Am I wrong or these are nowhere to be found, right now? o.o

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)