Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Ocelot570

Educated
I've tried to install via the Setup.exe from Google Drive, but Defender is blocking it saying it finds the Occamy.c trojan. I've had this problem on 2 different machines. No one else having this problem?
disable defender you noob

Acrux

Arcane
Wow, thanks, I'd never thought of that.

I realize it's probably a false positive. I can install by allowing an exception. But since I've seen it on 2 different machines, I was wondering it several people are also getting the same notification because it might be something the devs want to check out, if so.

Drowed

Arcane
If it was just Windows Defender, that's fine, but practically any antivirus finds some problem in the Setup. I'm not saying that the file has a trojan or anything, but it's that hard to make a setup that doesn't make the computer scream on alert? What the hell are you putting in this installer that makes so many antivirus freak out? Just distribute a ZIP version without any installation or something.

123.png

Corwell

Novice
We plan to release 1.6.0.1 update in 18th May.
At this moment there is just 1 critical bug with Loghaire Thunder Stone (game crashes when you start dialog after he's come back to the Wheel Clan).
So here is hotfix for him (must be unpacked into the main directory).

In other ways AME works fine.

Corwell

Novice
Damn, how I love to make something new even with original art.

I hope this test module will be usefull for our team (scripts mechanics, etc.).

xJi4ACP.jpg

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
Sorry pals, there is nothing we can do with AV alerts. After a while more and more AVs will find suspicious files. We had the same situation with the first build several years ago.
If you think that put Repack to the exceptions is unacceptable for you then just ignore AME.

Drowed

Arcane
Just disable your antivirus before launching Setup.exe.
Or put it into exceptions.

I know what to do. I just don't want to do it.

I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, because it's probably a false positive. But I want to know why the hell this installer causes so many false positives on so many anti-viruses. What it's trying to do that makes the computer interpret it as a trojan? If we're going to make an exception for every program we install, we'd better go straight to Baidu and download everything they offer there. If I have no problem with literally any installation program in 10+ years and suddenly I find 1 file that causes problems with 20+ different antivirus programs, you can be sure that I will not execute this thing on my computer without a good explanation of what you are trying to do and why everything is freaking out.

Corwell

Novice

I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, because it's probably a false positive. But I want to know why the hell this installer causes so many false positives on so many anti-viruses. What it's trying to do that makes the computer interpret it as a trojan? If we're going to make an exception for every program we install, we'd better go straight to Baidu and download everything they offer there. If I have no problem with literally any installation program in 10+ years and suddenly I find 1 file that causes problems with 20+ different antivirus programs, you can be sure that I will not execute this thing on my computer without a good explanation of what you are trying to do and why everything is freaking out.

Too much words...

If you think that put Repack to the exceptions is unacceptable for you then just ignore AME.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Come on, a complete hack of a renowned cRPG made by Russians and triggering 6 anti-virus and you're suspicious ?

You of little faith ...

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Well, you could actually tell what is causing the false positives. Wouldn't hurt. I guess it's either a runtime-packer or a file patching tool.

Or the guys included a real trojan :)

Eselter

Novice
"Sorry, this file is infected with a virus
Only the owner is allowed to download infected files."
Google flagged file as a virus so no way to download it from google drive.

Ok, there is a workaround. You can make o copy of setup.exe on your own google drive and download from there.

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
So, AVs usually respond to compressors because they can create additional processes in memory and decompress data by crafted algorithms. For example, 3 passes were used to compress data - at first there were data packed with well-known algorithms, then repetitions were found and optimized in them, and finally they were again compressed using a more suitable method. Unpacking these three passes is in situ "in one pass" - only hell knows how the data is processed. Actually, it is known - everything is written on special compression forms, but I can’t explain it detailed.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
So, AVs usually respond to compressors because they can create additional processes in memory and decompress data by crafted algorithms. For example, 3 passes were used to compress data - at first there were data packed with well-known algorithms, then repetitions were found and optimized in them, and finally they were again compressed using a more suitable method. Unpacking these three passes is in situ "in one pass" - only hell knows how the data is processed. Actually, it is known - everything is written on special compression forms, but I can’t explain it detailed.
Yea, I thought so. This is the cause of so many false positives plaguing the mod/hack scene.

Agiliz

Barely Literate
Hi everyone. I'm new to Arcanum. I installed the game (from steam) and multiverse 1.6 as instructed by the page, including shuting off software render, enabling double buffer, and using ddraw.dll from DDrawCompat folder). However, when I started the game, my mouse just moved to the top left corner of the screen on main menu and froze. I tried a few others ddraw.dll but the problem persisted. I'm using windows 10 and only way I can play the game now is by using windowed mode. Any advice on how can i fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Multiverse Edition is great. Rutracker version has a comfy installer where you can choose how much stuff do you want in your Arcanum. If you are a lawful fella you can always send your money to Activision via Steamed Hams and then just download the torrent.

Macbeth

Scholar
The issue with deleted exe from google dist will be fixed soon. It'll be zip archive with some easy password.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom