Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Unofficial patch 2.0 released! (UPDATE)

Molina

Savant
The game lags as hell (it doesn't happen with multiverse edition, at least it didn't when I last played it), what to do?
When they come for you ?
Bad boys, bad boys...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The game lags as hell (it doesn't happen with multiverse edition, at least it didn't when I last played it), what to do?
Drog has just released a fix for GOG version of Arcanum:
http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aOmenl3iP7loOOLhlJygdK44K6zly_CQ
This might fix your problem. Also, here are his advices to someone else:

Drog said:
go hardware with default settings
on W10 you should probably always keep it enabled
you can also try this one instead http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html
but IMO it's more buggy
still, wouldn't hurt to try
play at a lower resolution if it bothers you
if you have a 1440p/4K screen then use 720p + integerscaler
integerscaler won't do anything at 1080p though
if all else fails try the above ddraw fix + software mode

Skdursh

Savant

Look up DXWND. Modern Windows doesn't natively support DX7 so it can cause issues at times on certain systems for certain games. DXWND emulates low-level deprecated APIs (like DirectDraw) in order to create a functional environment for some older games to run, Arcanum being one of them. Without it I would get unplayable FPS drops in most interior locations, but with it I have no problems running the game.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
They don't make as good ads as this one any more:

9GG58Sx.jpg

Usually elves would be on the cover but this one is Neanderthal approved.

So how do i disable the auto leveling???
You need to click on a gear+bolt icon in the upper right corner of character screen and disable the "Virgil" scheme in case of Virgil (that goes to any follower, you just change it to "no schemes"). Once I clicked on the icon it became pretty obvious but at first I though I need to add command line argument to the shortcut for it to work.
madJtlz.png

CootKeeper

Augur
Can you pick and choose the weapons and armor that NPC companions wear or will they still choose things themselves from their inventory like in vanilla?

Modron

Arcane
If you get around to re-balancing the game, maybe make, by some miracle, hybrid magitek builds viable?
I say nay to rebalancing, I previously talked him out of sawyering the fun out of Arcanum and there are so many ways to build an op character from melee, throwing, archery, magic, guns, backstabbing, et cetera the only way to not be op is to spread your skills around too much. Hybrid magic/tech were designed not to be viable with the way magic/technological aptitude strength affects how much of an magical/technological item's bonuses you can utilize and resistance to the opposite alignment.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Any way to train the companions in the fan patch?
There is an educator background but it gives limited options to train and it's in regardless of the patch.
You are a natural teacher. As you learn skill training, you can teach your followers the previous training step. So as an Expert, you can teach your followers as Apprentices, if they qualify. However, since you spend extra time with each follower, you cannot have as many as usual (-1 to maximum followers).

Max # of Followers -1 / Followers improve faster

I say nay to rebalancing
He seems to be in agreement with you:
Drog said:
not sure about rebalancing the base game, this is a good recipe for community drama IMO
yeah so I probably won't be doing any actual rebalancing for Arcanum
it will just make the game sterile and boring

but he's thinking about adding a mega-dungeon to challenge just about anyone:
we've tried it at the Codex and opinions split heavily and on what should be changed and in what way
an optional challenge dungeon is fair game though I think
just add an entrance somewhere between Shrouded Hills and Tarant and players can either go there early, late game or never
doesn't hurt anybody
like it would start easy, the first floor is just your typical caves/ruins with rats and basic mobs, then it would proceed to gothic halls with wizards, then a mansion/apartment like tileset with tech enemies, then ice caves with ice breathing enemies etc
maybe 10 themed floors in total? at the very least
with a super duper hard cursed knight guarding an altar at the very end
an then the altar maybe gives you free character points or something
yeah there would be a boss per each level, e.g. the ice caves would have an ice breathing wyvern
when frozen you wouldn't be able to move and all your resistances would be halved
and then there would ofc be a ~blight town reference~ a poison themed floor
all the enemies would inflict strong poison DOT and you won't be able to survive without high CN or means to heal poison regularlymaybe even make some stretches of floor deal poison DOT just because
the goal is for it to be challenging at all levels, so the first few floors are going to be easy, maybe like BMC
but later on it would get harder and harder
the last few floors would only be beatable by the best players
the final boss (the cursed knight) will probably be scripted with unique gameplay mechanics to make the fight really interesting
like teleportation, unique spells, he would buff himself, heal back his HP if you don't stagger him fast enough etc
maybe he would also destroy environment, create some obstacles in your way

fantaretard must be one of those who play arcanum on real time, with a necromancer and autoclicker and says arcanum combat is perfectly fine.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
play arcanum on real time
Playing RT is arguably more challenging because you lose many of the advantages that potions/spells give, plus it's perfect for people with OCD and can't wait a turn to make a move. If you want some more challenge you can also use schemes and auto-level using templates for Virgil/Magnus or any other character.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantaretard must be one of those who play arcanum on real time, with a necromancer and autoclicker and says arcanum combat is perfectly fine.
Aren't you,old people,going to kick the bucket already??? I play in real time with 3x speedhack with a melee party and some healing/utility magic. You are free to waste 500 hours playing in that garbage TB mode. But don't come here and waste our time,whine that the game is too big grandpa.

Last edited:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Didi he say whether he plans to implement any kind of enemy AI (even a rudimentary one)? Not percentage-based, I mean.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Meanwhile, i started to replay it, found a bug with workers on strike in Tarant not being where they should be after i get the quest (workers on strike to get to Bastien) so i just talked my way in.

The game is way harder than i remember when you only use guns early on (with only average guns) or maybe it's just me going after higher level enemies too soon (meca arachnids, the boil gangs)

I went with Sogg alone, next one probably Vollinger and maybe Bastien next, if i could use the editor, i would probably edit a voiced mage into a gunslinger/technologist to use him/her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom