Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Unofficial patch 2.0 released! (UPDATE)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
BTW, if you're wondering what else he might add in the future:

i'm considering doing all the patching at runtime in memory, but i dunno, maybe in the uap 3.0?? that faggot ass toee modder refused to help me code a wrapper, fuck that piece of shit right in the ass
Never change Drog, never change.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
In case you've missed it, 2.0 is out.
http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html

Edit:
Power-intoxicated (((Infinitron))) moved my post to general posting making it redundant. I've purposefully posted it in the news section so that more people would notice but jew couldn't have that. Meanwhile he spams about Pathfinder or anything made by Obsidian, posting even least relevant news.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've posted a link where everything is explained but tl;dr version is: there are new races to choose from with unique reactions for the additional races, there is also lvl cap remover (you can go up to level 100), you can disable combat music, some bugs were squashed and it should work better on modern systems without any additional tweaking. Every addition/mod is optional though so if you want only a patch so that you could play original version you could do it.

Edit:
Drob Black Tooth said:

there are multiple music tracks that don't play in the game because of bugs and there's an important fully voiced event (with Gilbert Bates and Loghaire) that never triggers etc, multiple ending slides, many missing dialog lines, missing weapon/armor graphics etc, stuff like that, off the top of my head

unpatched version also has some broken mechanics and a few things that can softlock your playthrough and/or mess up your save
[05:54]
like a certain sword that permanently lowers your DEX every time you equip it or a grenade that is impossible to discard if you pick it up

this is not Restoration Project for Fallout 2, there's nothing in the UAP (base patch) that was made from scratch
[06:18]
all extra content/features etc are completely optional and not installed by default, you need to choose them yourself during the installation
[06:19]
and yes, automaton gunner wasn't "restored" because there's barely anything left of that enemy, they never made the animations for it

Arcanum's vanilla playthrough can be a frustrating experience, e.g. that sword that permanently fucks your DEX stat is just a random cursed sword in the sewers, it's even unidentified, if you equip it even once your DEX is lowered permanently
[06:42]
if you give it to a party member for storage they can equip it and their DEX will be fucked just the same
[06:44]
also in vanilla you can click on the hot keys during dialog and it will exit the dialog, this can break many quests

3 out of 8 sprite rotations are mirrored because they added this feature super late in the development to optimize the game for super low end PC's and forgot to include an option to disable it, so you're missing out on more than 30% of animations in the game, for every single creature
[06:46]
real-time shadows are disabled for the same reason, despite them being fully functional etc

nowadays both GOG and Steam versions come pre-patched with the final official patch, so they're not completely vanilla either, but they do exhibit everything that I listed above
[06:48]
if you want a super buggy "raw" experience you'll have to install the game from the OG CD's

and I even have a "press beta" version (that was mailed to journos) that's an even earlier build (of the full game), that one's a nightmare

there are different AI packages with different flee parameters
[09:40]
// D1: percentage of NPC hit points below which NPC will flee
// D2: number of people besides PC beyond which NPC will flee
// D3: number of levels above NPC beyond which NPC will flee
// D4: percentage of PC hit points below which NPC will never flee
// D5: how far to flee, in tiles

Last edited:

Marrik

Novice
I got the patch to install, but I ran into some bugs. Initially Virgil didn't have the DEBUG MENU option in his dialogue, but then all of a sudden whenever I would talk to him it would automatically open the debug menu and I can no longer access his normal dialogue options. What should I do?

Marrik

Novice
Ok apparently the issue si that I had Gilbert Bates's ring equipped. So I guess the next question would be, is there any way to access the debug menu if you DON'T keep the ring?

Secondly, even after I talk to Ristezze and find out about P. Schuyler and Sons, I still permanently have the dialogue options to ask him about the ring/what it's made of. I'm pretty sure that's a glitch.

Third, I found that if you say "Virgil fuck you" in order to kick him out of the party, he doesn't become hostile anymore. It reduces his opinion of you to 0, but he just stand in place forever. If you talk to him again after that, he has the same dialogue as when you meet him for the first time at the crash site. Is this a glitch?

Finally, is there a bug report forum for this patch?

Last edited:

pidstuff

Educated
is there any way to access the debug menu if you DON'T keep the ring?

I still permanently have the dialogue options to ask him about the ring/what it's made of. I'm pretty sure that's a glitch.
There is another mod for Arcanum that enables you to access the debug menu just by talking to Virgil, but at some point in the game, talking to Virgil won't bring it up anymore because he is a new man. There isn't any other way to access the debug menu except to keep the ring with you (you can steal it back from Gilbert Bates if you want to).

I'm not sure if having the option to ask about the ring is a glitch. IIRC, it was there too even without UAP.

IDK about Virgil, but I'm pretty sure Drog reads posts here and on other sites as well. I was fortunate to be in one thread where he learns about some bug in 1.5

Reader

Scholar
I have a question. I remember there was an option to increase the font a little in 1.5. Now in 2.0 i can't find it. Does it still exist?
Anyway thank you for the patch Drog and for your continuous work on this great game.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html
Drog Black Tooth said:
Announcing a new stretch goal, Hard Mode module for Arcanum, it will be released at $1500 of total donations (we're currently at ~$1100). This is basically a rebalance patch/difficulty overhaul mod that I wanted to do for a long time, it will be completely optional (so purists can still enjoy the original experience) and will include:

- Complete overhaul of all enemy stats and abilities, but in a fun way. No health sponges, just harder hitting enemies with new attacks and abilities (e.g. more spell users and unique creature abilities), some AI tweaks here and there. Nothing too crazy, but you won't fall asleep while playing the game anymore

- Overhaul of all firearms in the game, guns will do more damage per shot (so that you don't have to hoard thousands of bullets) but will be a bit slower (especially the revolvers), currently a lot of early game guns including various revolvers, shotguns and rifles are almost completely worthless and it's a very sad state of affairs

- No XP per hit. Your party members will no longer be "stealing" your XP. XP will be granted only on kill and it will be party wide. XP values will be tweaked a bit so that reaching both level 50 and level 100 feels rewarding, and it's neither too fast or too slow

- Assorted tweaks to the game's mechanics. E.g. the Speed stat will be reworked and will have lower and upper caps to make it less broken, backstab will be slightly nerfed, fist damage will be buffed a bit, spell damage (and magic in general) will be tweaked so that more spells are useful. Some spells might be replaced altogether, e.g. with cut beta spells like Poison (which is a really cool looking spell with unique graphics and sound effects that sadly remain unused)

- And much more. I'm always open to suggestions which you can voice in #arcanum-general Follow this channel feed to stay tuned, and make sure to make a donation on the Unofficial Arcanum Patch page: http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html

Learned
UAP 2.0.1 is up.

https://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html#download

[Race Mod] Fixed a rare crash on certain systems.
[High Resolution Patch] Updated to the latest version of DDrawCompat, should fix an issue with ending slides occasionally being skipped on newer systems.
General stores now sell Educator's Guide (33% spawn rate, costs 2000 gold), a consumable item that makes everyone in the party catch up to the player's level.
Unspent character points no longer cap at 56, you can now store as many as you want.
Increased Mechanized Arachnid's running animation speed by 250%.
Fixed an issue with wrong magic/tech aptitude assigned to numerous enemies, they had roughly 5x as much as intended.
All Clockwork Decoy variants now have 60% technological aptitude.
The item description for tech manuals now actually makes sense.
Fortifier can no longer be used on party members as its withdrawl does 50-100 damage and can aggro and kill NPC's.
It's no longer possible to teleport from the Isle of Despair while standing slightly to the east of The Women's Camp.
Added ground art for blue and green books (e.g. tech manuals, Educator's Guide).
Chateau de Be'ron Brandy (can be given to Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe as a gift) is now sold at city general stores, 25% spawn rate, the half of regular Wine.
[Virgil's Debug Menu] The option to increase alignment now works correctly (it was setting your alignment to 20 instead of increasing it by 20).
Fixed a minor issue in the dialog of Molochean Hand assassins, one of the flags was getting set too soon and this resulted in one of their lines being skipped over very quickly.
Fixed a few missing flags in Cedric Appleby's dialog, which caused him to not recognize you taking on his "offer".

Eclipse

Barely Literate
Hello everyone,

I am playing as a Dark elf evil path and I killed gilbert bates, now when I talk to teach after going to BMC he asks me if I heard anything about bates murder, my char simply responds with I must be going. Any one have experienced this issue before ?

P.S btw Drog amazing work but how can I turn off lvling to 100 ?

Viqsi

Barely Literate
UAP 2.0.2 came out a few hours ago.

[Virgil's Debug Menu] It's now safe to have the GB ring equipped at all times, it won't interfer with anything or cause any glitches.
[Virgil's Debug Menu] Added a spawn object function, it can spawn both items and enemies, you simply input their prototype ID.
[Master Educator] Added an option in the installer to make party members receive training level equal to the player's (if they have suffient skill points), this is a global change and the Educator background is not needed.
[No XP Per Hit] Added an option in the installer to disable the XP per hit system, full XP value will be granted on kill, party wide.
Fixed Shadow Shield, it now gives an AC bonus equal to Evil Alignment / 2.
[Race Mod] Fixed Strong Poison, it was applying a previously unused effect that was intefering with Race Mod.
[Race Mod] Fixed an issue with Edward Teach's dialog after killing Gilbert Bates, now shows responses for the extra races.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Thanks for keeping this thread updated Goral.

UAP 2.0.2 came out a few hours ago.

[No XP Per Hit] Added an option in the installer to disable the XP per hit system, full XP value will be granted on kill, party wide.
Thank god, this always annoyed me, especially when playing a charisma build.

I would rather a minimal XP type of experience overall honestly. The way Underrail did it was fantastic TBH. You get a flat number that decreases to a minimal amount after a certain period. Basically it's a way of saying 'This is too far beneath your abilities'.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I would rather a minimal XP type of experience overall honestly. The way Underrail did it was fantastic TBH. You get a flat number that decreases to a minimal amount after a certain period. Basically it's a way of saying 'This is too far beneath your abilities'.
I like Underrail's system as well, but the manner in which Arcanum credited combat xp was annoying. Specifically, if you focused on a Charisma/healer build, your character advancement could slow down just because your character missed on a hit. Now, I can properly make a max Charisma/Light magic character that recruits all the ogre companions, sends them on a suicide charge, and subsequently resurrect them for all that tasty xp. :)

CootKeeper

Augur
Drog has reached his $1500 stretch goal :

June 15, 2020

The $1500 stretch goal for the Hard Mode / Rebalance Patch has been reached. Thanks everyone for your great support!

The Hard Mode patch is still in active development and you can personally participate in it in the #uap-hard-mode channel. There's a design document at the top of the channel outlining most of the planned changes to the game's balance and mechanics. All thoughts and suggestions are welcome, as I hope to address as many grievances with the game's combat and progression systems as possible.

If everything goes well the Hard Mode patch should see its release in about a month. Stay tuned for more updates!

https://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html

Molina

Savant
I'm in the Black Mountain Mines.
Fuck.
I forgot about the Black Mountain Mines...
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom