Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archmage Rises - the play-how-you-want mage simulator - now available on Early Access

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This still sounds very cool, but isn't the intro a bit... rail-roaded? Or is the whole "Find the noble and get him to let you build a mage tower" thing specified so explicitly only for demonstration purposes?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This still sounds very cool, but isn't the intro a bit... rail-roaded? Or is the whole "Find the noble and get him to let you build a mage tower" thing specified so explicitly only for demonstration purposes?
I'd assume so since it's previously been stated there's character creation as well.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?

Time for some creative criticism savagery!
The climb,swim skill checks are too spammy, similar problem with barter. You should find ways to cut down on repetition and make it not braindead.
Does the trap investigation spell can change the area investigated with less stamina as it wasn't shown in the video? Also again its too repetitive and braindead.
You also need something to give tension and meaning to the dungeon. OSR Dungeon movement maybe has some ideas as its a similar concept focusing on loot.

Now for the conversation. Once you find all the traits your responses become automatic. Again braindead. Maybe if the traits had some other functions it could be interesting but then they are too easy to get and to easy to manipulate.
I think you are better of making traits be completely hidden and just affect behavior, maybe give some hints in conversations but don't make it a sure thing and have twists and red herrings as well as a bit of dynamism.

Jimmy

Defiance Game Studio
Developer

Another Defiance dev here! This was definitely designed to be a small vertical slice. Keeping some tracks down was a big help in keeping the demo succinct.

I'd assume so since it's previously been stated there's character creation as well.

Right out of the gate we want there to be some pretty big choices that shape your start. You should be able to choose what you want! Good or bad, even if it gets you killed in character creation...

Jimmy

Defiance Game Studio
Developer
Are you planning to endorse or shun fanatical min-maxing, like buffing dodge or other skill to ridiculous values to exploit the system and game mechanics?

Absolutely encouraged. Magic scales up to extreme levels in the game which leaves plenty to exploit. If you figure out how to dodge your way through the characters life, what a story that could be. *que Brave Sir Robin's Minstrels

Jimmy

Defiance Game Studio
Developer
Time for some creative criticism savagery!
The climb,swim skill checks are too spammy, similar problem with barter. You should find ways to cut down on repetition and make it not braindead.
Does the trap investigation spell can change the area investigated with less stamina as it wasn't shown in the video? Also again its too repetitive and braindead.
You also need something to give tension and meaning to the dungeon. OSR Dungeon movement maybe has some ideas as its a similar concept focusing on loot.

Now for the conversation. Once you find all the traits your responses become automatic. Again braindead. Maybe if the traits had some other functions it could be interesting but then they are too easy to get and to easy to manipulate.
I think you are better of making traits be completely hidden and just affect behavior, maybe give some hints in conversations but don't make it a sure thing and have twists and red herrings as well as a bit of dynamism.

And yes! Some very good points. Playing through the demo myself, there's not a lot there to make me want to play through dungeons over and over- the systems are bare-bones and I completely agree that once you figure out the simple way they work, it's mindless. That's something that's currently being fleshed out. Creative ideas are always welcome and other game systems are a huge way of finding things that work. :)

Conversations are in the same boat, though more-so. Time is crucial to getting those to go from a single-time mini-game to get what you want to something you have to come back to and work a little at over the years. The demo doesn't really implement time yet as a true mechanic so the conversations can feel empty. This was our starting-point with relationships/conversations and we are addressing them after this next build.

ArchAngel

Arcane
wow that interview, and the game description. Now I am even more in love with it ! I just hope it delivers what he promised :D

Perkel

Arcane
Well i said this earlier but i think this will be in close 5 of top rpgcodex GOTY whenever it releases.

LordYabo

Defiance Game Studio
Patron
Developer
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Correct, it was for demo purposes.
When people are walking up, having never heard of the game, we needed a way to get them "into it" quickly and clearly give them something to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom