Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Are consoletards...surrendering?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
First Microsoft quietly introduced its "Xbox anywhere" thing, which allows Xbox exclusives to be played on PC, thus rendering the Xbox (even more) worthless. And now:

Some future Sony exclusives could be released on PC as well
By Steven Petite August 20, 2019 9:59AM PST
sony-playstation-4-pro-0011-768x768.jpg

Julian Chokkattu/Digital Trends

Unlike Microsoft exclusives, Sony exclusive games have traditionally been reserved for Sony consoles and nothing else. It’s possible that could change in the future, with select Sony exclusives landing on both PlayStation 4 and PC, according to Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios chairman Shawn Layden.

“We must support the PlayStation platform — that is non-negotiable,” Layden said in an interview with Bloomberg. “That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base.”

Bloomberg’s reporting made it clear that Layden was speaking mainly about games with an online multiplayer focus. This makes sense, of course, especially as cross-play becomes more of a thing. The larger player base created by opening up Sony exclusives to PC players could prove to be immensely popular.

The question is: Which games or franchises would be in the cards? Sony’s recent and upcoming batch of exclusives are primarily single-player experiences. Sony has had great success in this department with games like Marvel’s Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn. The upcoming Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part 2 will add to this tradition.

marvels-spider-man-review-29373-ultrawide-768x768.jpg

But Layden hinted to Business Insider earlier this year that Sony could start developing more games with an online multiplayer focus. These unannounced games (if they even exist yet) appear to be the candidates for a PC release. Don’t expect Sony to start acting like Microsoft and release its exclusives on Nintendo Switch, though.

There’s also PlayStation Now to consider. Sony’s cloud streaming service for PS4 and PC hasn’t found a large audience, but Sony said it wants to make the service a focal point as the PS4’s lifecycle winds down and the PlayStation 5 enters the arena. If PlayStation Now takes off, it would certainly make sense to release some exclusives at retail for PC when you consider the fact that PlayStation Now subscribers get access to some Sony exclusives already.

That said, it’s hard to imagine Sony will release the inevitable next entries in the Marvel’s Spider-Man and God of War franchises on PC. After all, Sony just acquired Marvel’s Spider-Man developer Insomniac Games.

A few Sony published games have or will soon make the jump to PC, including the revelatory Journey and Quantic Dream’s Detroit: Become Human. That is different than titles that are developed in-house, though.

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-could-release-exclusive-games-on-pc/

Was this explained in another thread? WTF is going on? Without exclusives the consoles have no hope of competing against the superior platform. Is the console market in trouble or something? Why this sudden change from both companies?

Mustawd

Most people don’t own powerful home PCs, so it’s not like a PC will be a replacement for a console for most consoletards.

Consoles are still easy to use due to Plug n Play.

As to why Microsoft is getting in the PC gaming market? I have no idea.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
powerful home PCs, so it’s not like a PC will be a replacement for a console for most consoletards.

A PC assembled with garbage used parts from almost a decade ago can easily outperform the Plebstation 4. That's how utterly obsolete console hardware is. It's no secret that games like Bloodborne and Gears of War are "console sellers". Without their exclusivity, what's left? How are consoles supposed to be "easier" than PC? You have to install before playing on both platforms. Don't know much about plebstations, other than what I've seen on Jewtube, but the procedure seem almost identical to Steam Big Picture mode. So...what?

Unless they are planning to make the next gen of consoles considerably cheaper (yeah, right), the lack of exclusivity means PC will simply swallow both platforms whole.

vota DC

Augur
The strange thing Is that all Hokuto no Ken titles are still on consoles only. I mean there weren't any Xbox or PlayStation when It was popular and historical fans already own a PC!

Mustawd

A PC assembled with garbage used parts from almost a decade ago can easily outperform the Plebstation 4

This doesn’t matter. Consoles are for normies, and normies buy pre-made computers. And unless they buy a gaming computer, a premade computer will likely be some mac laptop they have for college.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
While I'm sure plenty of "hardkore gamerzzz" have a gaming PC and all the consoles, I would guess most of the time they're different markets for different groups. In other words putting your exclusives out on PC doesn't really negate the value of them for your console, since most console gamers won't have a gaming PC. That's the theory anyway, I'd guess. Must be working out okay for Microsoft since they seem pretty committed to it still. As someone who only games on PC (for a variety of reasons) it would make me a potential customer, where I am very much not currently.

Norfleet

Consoletardery is extremely strong in the console peasants. I've seen people in an MMO that had long been a PC game actually defect to the inferior console version just because they can't resist consoletardery. It worked out for me because I got to steal their stuff when they abandoned the REAL game.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Many years have passed but I still have no clue how to move camera on a controller

It's not so much the controls as the games. Simplistic console games like old SEGA and NES games were fine with two or three button controllers. But once consoles tried to emulate PC games with their complicated control layouts, the whole thing went FUBAR. It's just not possible to try and do with 4 buttons, a D-pad and an analog stick what you can do with a keyboard, dozens of keys, and fine tuned mouse aim/look. Doing so is like trying to thread a needle while wearing boxing gloves.

I've had to settle for controllers with PC games occasionally because of health reasons, but it sucks and it makes me not want to play video games. I don't know how ppl prefer them over a mouse/keyboard. WASD will always triumph over XYAB or whatever colored letters you get with a control pad.

Irata

Scholar
I imagine Sony, like Microsoft, sees the future of gaming as streaming so they're both trying to get PC players to buy into their ecosystems early.

Vorark

Erudite
Well done ports of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne instead of relying on emulation? One can dream...

sullynathan

Arcane
The goal is to have all your games stream on most platforms, primarily mobile because they're the most profitable gaming platform.

DeepOcean

Arcane
They want more copies sold and don't see PCs as a threat, you can make some extra bucks selling a few millions more for little investment.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most people don’t own powerful home PCs, so it’s not like a PC will be a replacement for a console for most consoletards.

? Microsoft makes the OS almost all PC gamers have used since the mid 90s.

Mustawd

? Microsoft makes the OS almost all PC gamers have used since the early 90s.

I don’t get what you’re implying.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

? Microsoft makes the OS almost all PC gamers have used since the early 90s.

I don’t get what you’re implying.

Companies don't like it when other companies (Steam, Valve) make vastly more money than World of Warcraft (vastly) doing basically the same stuff (developing and publishing video games), especially when their market place utilizes a medium that company itself develops and licenses.

Makes a group of people in the corporate hierarchy look like ass hats to owners/investors who wonder why the guy who invested in Steam is buying a new $40,000,000 yacht to cruise around the Mediterranean in while their Microsoft shares are tanking until cloud computing kicks in.

kalganoat

Savant
I think what they are saying is second party games will eventually make it to PC like Detroit etc. But no way the next Uncharted/GOW will be on PC.
There's even less reason for me to buy a PS5 now since Jap devs are porting their stuff to PC and I'm not interested in soy infused movie games from Sony's first party.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
There are no consoles since original Xbox, only retarded PC-likes.

True. And it's gonna be even more true now that AMD is developing the core hardware of BOTH consoles:

PS5 vs Xbox Project Scarlett: what we know so far

By Gerald Lynch June 13, 2019 Gaming

How are the Sony and Microsoft next-gen consoles shaping up?

QLE8hbBJmT9rLecHwzP2eZ-320-80.jpg

Image Credit: TechRadar
(Image credit: TechRadar)
And so it begins. The dawn of a new console war, as two gaming titans re-enter the ring for another dust-up. Our combatants? Xbox Project Scarlett vs PS5. Microsoft vs Sony.

Alpha and Omega. Beginning and End.

Xbox Two or otherwise) and the PlayStation 5 are going to cost a pretty penny at launch. But which one should your prettiest of pennies be going towards? Here’s what we think so far.

[Note that there is still much to be revealed about both consoles. This piece acts only as a barometer of the direction each company is taking. And, at first glance, they seem surprisingly similar…]

Xbox Project Scarlett vs PS5: key facts
missing-image.svg

Image credit: Sony

• What are they? Xbox Project Scarlett, or Xbox Two, and the PS5 are the expected names of the forthcoming next-gen games consoles from Microsoft and Sony, set to deliver more ambitious and graphically impressive gaming experiences than ever before.
  • Xbox Project Scarlett and PS5 release date: Though specific dates are yet to be confirmed, Microsoft has given Xbox Project Scarlett a launch window of "Holiday 2020". Sony has yet to offer a launch date for its next console, but we’d expect it to be roughly the same time.
  • What can I play on it? So far, we’ve only a single game confirmed for either console, and that’s Halo Infinite for the Xbox Project Scarlett. But that console will also be comprehensively backwards compatible, while we’re expecting games like Cyberpunk 2077 to make an appearance on both machines.
Xbox Project Scarlett vs PS5: specs so far
Though it was Sony to make the first move, giving the first concrete details about its PS5 back in April 2019, Microsoft’s E3 2019 showcase showed that both companies appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet with their new machines’ internal specs. Note, however, that never have revealed what their consoles look like – this is purely a sneak peek under the hood at this stage.

The PlayStation 5 will run off a custom-built version of the third generation AMD Ryzen chipset, packing in 8 cores with the company's new Zen 2 architecture and Navi graphics. It’s a system that will be able to support ray tracing – a performance-intensive lighting technique that has previously been the reserve of expensive high-end PC GPUs. Sony has also talked of the console setting a new “gold standard” in immersive, 3D audio, particularly for those using a headset whilst playing.

The PS5 will also support screen resolutions of up to 8K – far higher than the standard 1080p HD of most people’s televisions, let alone that of the increasingly popular 4K. It’ll also work at 120Hz refresh rates, allowing for super-smooth movement in games. These are incredibly performance intensive specs, so we wouldn’t expect a game to hit these standards regularly (not to mention requiring an expensive TV that will support them), but it’s good to see what Sony is aiming at.

Perhaps the most interesting element of the Sony build is its commitment to using SSD storage. The solid state drive in the PlayStation 5 will again be a custom-built piece of hardware, and Sony has already been showing off its technical prowess with a demo of its existing Spider-Man PS4 game. On PS5 hardware, the game is able to race around an incredibly-detailed New York City at incredibly high speeds without any delay in geometry loading or texture streaming, something that would never be possible on PS4.

The Xbox Project Scarlett, at this stage, is looking startlingly similar.

It too will use custom AMD internals using the same Zen 2 and Navi architecture of the PS5, making it 4x more powerful than the Xbox One X – this generation’s most technically-impressive gaming hardware.

It too will be able to run content (if not games) at an 8K resolution, and it too will support 120Hz refresh rates. The Xbox Project Scarlett will match the PS5 by offering ray tracing capabilities, and it’ll have an SSD too, here also used as virtual RAM to lift load times by up to 40x. Standard RAM will be of the GDDR6 variety, in an amount yet to be determined.

The Xbox Two will also be backwards compatible with the Xbox One’s supporting hardware accessories, meaning that you won’t have to rush out and buy new pads and headsets to accompany the console at launch. And, if you’re a sucker for buying boxed games over making digital purchases, it’s already confirmed to have a physical disc drive included.

It’s worth mentioning that rumors surrounding the Xbox Project Scarlett have also involved the possibilities of their being two complimentary consoles launched, codenamed Anaconda and Lockheart. The theory here is that the former will be a high end machine, likely what’s described above, while the latter would be a budget option focussing on streaming. At this stage however, they remain merely rumors, as Microsoft is yet to confirm or deny the existence of a duo.

Xbox Project Scarlett vs PS5: games we expect to see
missing-image.svg

Image credit: CD Projekt Red

(Image credit: CD Projekt Red)
It’s early doors for the new next-gen consoles, but already we’re getting a picture of the sort of experiences you can expect to see on the Xbox Project Scarlett and the PS5.

Let’s kick off with the Xbox, as Microsoft has been a little more open with its line up upfront. First off, Microsoft has confirmed that Halo Infinite, aka Halo 6, will be a launch title for Xbox Project Scarlett. The Halo franchise is a unit shifter for Microsoft, a big-budget FPS series that will have been left on a bit of a cliff hanger for five years come the ‘Holiday 2020’ release of Halo Infinite. This is a very big deal.

Perhaps just as much of a big deal is the fact that Xbox Project Scarlett will be backwards compatible with all existing Xbox platforms. If you have games for the original Xbox, the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, there’s a good chance they’ll work on Project Scarlett – especially your Xbox One library. How deep Microsoft goes on the libraries of the other generations remains to be seen, but it’s been relatively generous in their support during the Xbox One’s lifetime.

Sony has also confirmed that its PS5 will be backwards compatible, at least with your PS4 game library. How far back it will support the PlayStation family’s game history remains to be seen, but it’s been a little less supportive in this regard during the current generation, aside from within its paid-for PlayStation Now streaming service.

Which brings us onto the conversation surrounding game streaming. With Google entering the gaming fray with its Google Stadia game streaming platform, Microsoft and Sony have actually entered a partnership to share and collaborate on game streaming technologies for the next generation. Exactly how this will play out remains to be seen. But with Sony already hosting PlayStation Now, and Microsoft pumping cash into its Project xCloud, don’t be surprised if a good chunk of your game playing time is streamed in over the web during the next generation.

As for other titles? We can make some educated guesses that some of the more ambitious games that are currently slated as swansongs for this present generation of consoles will make their way over to the newer machines in "remastered" or "definitive" editions. The future-noir stylings of Cyberpunk 2077 seems far too ambitious for the current generation, for instance, as does Sony's Hideo Kojima project Death Stranding for PS4. Likewise, it's been very quiet around Ghost of Tsushima, which would cause no surprise to later be repackaged as a PS5 launch title.

Xbox Project Scarlett vs PS5: price expectations
missing-image.svg

Image credit: Microsoft

At this point, talking about the price of Xbox Project Scarlett or the PS5 cost is an exercise in speculation. It’s simply too early to tell, and there are too many missing factors in their make up for us to make an informed decision on the specifics of their final price.

But what we can say for certain is that the specs teased above don’t come cheaply. These are going to be high-end machines at launch, and will have significant price tags attached as a result.

What we can do, however, is look back at the comparative pricing of the Xbox One and PS4 at launch. One of the reasons the PS4 proved the more popular console during this generation was the fact that it launched at the more attractive price point of $399.99 / £349.99. That was a relative steal compared to the $499 / £429 Xbox One, which at launch had to factor in the cost of its ill-fated (and relatively short lived) Kinect motion tracker. The Kinect was initially hailed as one of the key differentiators between the consoles, but proved unpopular with both developers and gamers, leading to Microsoft slowly phasing it out in an effort to drive the price of the overall package down with later console revisions.

Microsoft will not want to make similar mistakes again – its launch pricing (along with its strange initial focus on entertainment capabilities over gaming software), were key factors to its initial struggles, which it’s spent this entire generation fighting against. One company will inevitably undercut the other, but with specs at this stage looking so similar, don’t expect it to be so dramatic a difference this time around.

Gut feeling
missing-image.svg

Image credit: Sony

There’s so much yet to learn about the PS5 and Xbox Two, or Project Scarlett (or whatever it ends up being called). But at this early stage, the similarities between the two consoles are striking.

The commitment to SSD tech, suggests a parity across both consoles for third party developers to work with. Both consoles will be making great efforts to offer deep backwards compatibility across their archives. And the astonishing fact that they’ll be sharing streaming technologies is the sort of collaboration that would once have been unheard of. Microsoft and Sony have clearly been listening to their fanbases – people don’t care about inter-company politics, they just want the best gaming experience possible.

But there’s still a tribalism among the fans, and so, as ever, first party gaming content is going to be perhaps more important than it’s ever been. With so many ways to play, from remote access to streaming, the hardware becomes far less important than the experiences they offer – especially when the two platforms are looking increasingly similar. Microsoft is the first out of the gate to announce a platform exclusive title with Halo, but Sony absolutely destroyed the competition in the PS4 generation with its exclusives. Hope for, and expect, nothing less in the console wars to come.

https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-project-scarlett-vs-ps5

Seems to me like the next pleb war will be about two different colored boxes packing the same hardware. Or is it reasonable to believe that the same company will develop two completely different machines based off the same Zen 2 + Navi project? Sincerely doubt it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom