Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there adventure games that have really good puzzles?

hackncrazy

Savant
Aside from Myst-likes and games that are puzzle based.

I mean things like Monkey Island, The Longest Journey, Syberia, Primordia etc. I'm asking because for what I can remember, pretty much any puzzle in those games is based on pixel hunting and/or solving something through brute force. Let's not even mention Sierra bullshit where you lose your save forever if you didn't knew that you couldn't eat a pie 10 hours before.

Prove me wrong, please.

ortucis

Prophet
Adventure games are infamous for having dumbest fucking puzzles. Monkey Island is a good example.

So no, you're not going to find "good" puzzles.. unless it's Bards Tale 4.

Modron

Arcane
I liked the Castle of Doctor Brain a lot when I was a kid, all of the puzzles had logic to them and experimenting allowed you to figure them out instead of applying adventure game logic/consulting a walk through. Granted I haven't revisited the game in 2 decades so it could just be the puzzles were super easy.

axx

Savant
I liked the Castle of Doctor Brain a lot when I was a kid, all of the puzzles had logic to them and experimenting allowed you to figure them out instead of applying adventure game logic/consulting a walk through. Granted I haven't revisited the game in 2 decades so it could just be the puzzles were super easy.

this++
It also has those charming Sierra graphics like Larry 5&6. The second part (Island of dr Brain) was annoying.

Modron

Arcane
The second part was headed by a different person, Corey Cole did an interview sometime in the last 2 years where he said when he asked to make a sequel to Dr. Brain he was offered some ridiculous terms along the lines of he could make the game on his own time for a tiny percentage of the profits such that he would be better off making his own game or no game at all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom