Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any good mobile games?

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I recently got a new Android phone and was wondering if there are any good games to play on mobiles? Aside from KoDP and Six Ages, which are great of course. Most mobile games just look so shallow, grindy and pointless. Are there any games that have considerable depth and mechanical complexity? What about online games for mobile?

Also, are there any emulators that actually work well with mobile devices and that offer functional controls?

I guess I have to mention Daredevil Donut Lad to save you guys the trouble.

grom

Educated
I had a bit of fun with Powder. It's a port of a Gameboy roguelike.

sullynathan

Arcane
Infinity Blade is only on iPhone. A lot of the "quality" mobile games made by Gameloft were emulating AAA franchises, so you're better off playing Halo, COD, Diablo, GTA, Crysis, etc. than playing their clones

GrainWetski

Arcane
The answer is no. It's just a bunch of glorified flash games with extreme grinding. Any real games ported to mobile control horribly, so I wouldn't waste my time on those either.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm sure we've got a thread like this around already somewhere, but I've just found out about 'Night of the Full Moon'

It's kind of like a pocket version of 'Slay the Spire' if you like that sort of deckbuilding combat stuff. It's moderately entertaining in 20 minute bursts while watching the clock tick down until work finishes. I'm not really very good at these sort of games, but it gives me a decent game on 'hard' once you've played it a few times and unlocked a few more advanced cards.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey guys, I finally got an iPhone after about 10 years using a flip phone. The last time I had one, I did get to play Final Fantasy 1 and The Quest. I wonder how much gaming has changed since then...well, let me just do a quick search for what's hot in mobile RPGs....

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

What ... the... fuck.... ? When did the pseudo-Japanese hentai trend start?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I recently got a new Android phone and was wondering if there are any good games to play on mobiles? Aside from KoDP and Six Ages, which are great of course. Most mobile games just look so shallow, grindy and pointless. Are there any games that have considerable depth and mechanical complexity? What about online games for mobile?

Also, are there any emulators that actually work well with mobile devices and that offer functional controls?

I guess I have to mention Daredevil Donut Lad to save you guys the trouble.

Templar Battleforce is pretty good.

There's also an X-COM clone (they practically replicated almost everything from UFO) called Aliens vs Humans.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not particularly.

Sent from my iPhone with Crapatalk, buy Tetris now!

iqzulk

Augur
There is a conundrum. I can give a fairly interesting, in my opinion, answer to the question from the topic title, but, at the same time I can't answer the question from the OP-post. What to do, what to do.

Well, I have next to zero experience with Android games, and I abhor touchscreen controls anyway. So I can't help you there.

That having been said, what I meant to convey, having initially entered this thread is that. Basically if you exclude Gameloft (which was doing mobile things explicitly mainstream, "big guys", way) from the general picture, then early (2002-2006, I guess?) "era" of J2ME gaming was basically a precursor to the indie gaming scene, only without the annoying fart-sniffing le auteurs, and, basically, keeping it short, playable, and the point. Moreover, contrary to flash games of that time, these were commercial products, and only few of them had demos, so developers generally tried keeping things fairly polished and playable. And, in contrast with handhelds of that time, stuff was strictly digital, so there were far lesser risks due to absence of physical distribution, thus incomparably more possibility to just do things your way. Anyway, the majority of those games are fairly unplayable from touch controls, I imagine, but in case you'll ever just want some bite-sized entertainment, that's both experimental (to varying degrees) and understandable (to varying degrees), I suggest you to try just ACQUIRING a number of random J2MEs from SOMEWHERE (there are a couple of collections hosted on archive.org, just sayin'), and just firing them up in KEmulator and just giving them a spin.

In other words, what I explicitly liked about those games was that there was a heavy skew towards a game as a proof-of-concept, a sketch of an idea, with just enough content, so it doesn't start to get old yet. You just start it, you possibly complete it once, you possibly say "neat", and you go play some other game without ever looking back. It was completely opposite of any le artistic pretension, any "getting your money's worth", any unimaginable nail-biting story, any gitgudding, anything that made you feel obligated to play. Well, Gameloft excluded, Gameloft just tried to hook you to play more Gameloft. Apart from that, the whole thing had this "free", strictly voluntary, vibe of sorts to it, I haven't really seen anywhere else in videogaming ever before or since.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom