Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there ANY graphically demanding games worth playing atm?

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Devil May Cry is a complicated game, which requires it to have complicated controls. That's what makes it so prestigious.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Devil May Cry 5 is a complicated game, which requires it to have complicated controls. That's what makes it so great.

I play using a keyboard only (no mouse), and despite what many people claim I find it offers more flexbility over a controller.
I'm not expert in this genre of games, but i think they still could've done it better in designing controls, at least for basic actions like lock-on.
I'm ok with complicate combos requiring multiple keys to press in certain order, but if the basic combat feels clunky my fun is hindered.
I know you'll get used to it eventually, but reaching that point is the problem for me

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just upgraded to a 2070 and Ryzen 3600 and there are sections of Hitman 2 that still go down to 50fps on ultra.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Devil May Cry is a complicated game, which requires it to have complicated controls. That's what makes it so prestigious.

Goddamn, I finally understand the whole join date quoting thing. Fuck.

I just upgraded to a 2070 and Ryzen 3600 and there are sections of Hitman 2 that still go down to 50fps on ultra.

Not your rig's fault, that game's optimization is fucking garbage.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just use trickster and press O/B. You have infinite choices to dodge.
What about lock-on ? it is quite uncomfortable
I don't see how holding lock-on is uncomfortable? Keep in mind that lock on in this game isn't just to make you focus on a single target but it also serves as a directional command, without it moves like stinger would never work properly because the game has no idea in which direction you want to execute a move.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Just use trickster and press O/B. You have infinite choices to dodge.
What about lock-on ? it is quite uncomfortable
I don't see how holding lock-on is uncomfortable? Keep in mind that lock on in this game isn't just to make you focus on a single target but it also serves as a directional command, without it moves like stinger would never work properly because the game has no idea in which direction you want to execute a move.
That's the problem, it is pretty essential if you want to use all moves.
Holding down the stick while moving and attacking makes my hands hurt

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Isn't it? I wrote that because it ran at almost constant 60fps on my AMD APU (Ryzen 5 2400G) with most settings at high (though lower shadows and a couple other things, my monitor is at 1366x768 so i do not need that extra detail anyway) whereas on the same machine other demanding games from around that time (Prey, Mankind Divided, Dying Light, Rise of the Tomb Raider) needed almost everything set to low and still would hover around 30fps most of the time.
On launch it ran fine, but it had degrading performance. If you kept playing for a longer time it would leak memory or something and loading screens would triple in normal length and opening your inventory would take a good 10 seconds and stutter all the time. This meant if you wanted to retain decent performance you had to restart the game every 2 hours.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
About 2 months ago my motherboard got tired of living and I was forced to upgrade my PC. Long story short: I sold the old parts to a friend, bought a new rig and...reinstalled Witcher 3 because I found a grand total of ZERO new games that would actually make use of my shiny new PC's capabilities. Despite throwing standards out the window, I've yet to find a single game capable of justifying my upgrade. So far I tried:

- Metro Exodus. Turd that makes Call of Duty feel like a level design masterpiece.
- Crysis 3. So fucking boring I dozed off while playing whatever tutorial level the game had in mind. Does it get any better?

I went with the super ultra HD textures for W3. It doesn't even make a dent on the performance. Damn, what the fuck happened to the "Crysis test" of hardware? Every year had at least one somewhat decent game AAA for nerds to run benchmarks with, but...2019 brings nothing to the table. I'm just re-benchmarking games from previous years, nothing's changed.

- Ryzen 5 3600
- Asus X370 Prime Pro
- 2x8 GB DDR4 2666 @ 2933 MHz
- GTX 1660 Ti
Well, I guess I should be happy boning Triss at 144 FPS ...? :negative:

Maybe reinstall KCD? Was fun ever patched into that game...? :negative:

Star Citizen

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On launch it ran fine, but it had degrading performance. If you kept playing for a longer time it would leak memory or something and loading screens would triple in normal length and opening your inventory would take a good 10 seconds and stutter all the time. This meant if you wanted to retain decent performance you had to restart the game every 2 hours.

Ah, i see. Perhaps they fixed that? I only played the game a few months ago and didn't had any issues like that.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Witcher 3 came out in 2015. Four years later and AAA has yet to produce a single PASSABLE game? Omg...

Like others have pointed out you have Devil May Cry 5.
You also have:
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Monster hunter World
NIOH
Shadow Warrior 2
Sekiro
Zelda Breath of the Wild (if you like Zelda games that is)
For Honor
Rainbow 6 Siege
Battlefield 1 (these last 3 for a multiplayer experience)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Shadow Warrior 2
Not AAA but shit.

The diablo loot and the random buffs on enemies are what killed it for me. Because otherwise the games is fun to play and looks good.

For Honor
Rainbow 6 Siege
Battlefield 1 (these last 3 for a multiplayer experience)
Just shit.

OP wanted some graphically good games.
BF1 is still amazing to look at, and a full conquest server game is extremly chaotic. Great fun with friends.
R6 was great until year 3 rolled in.
But For Honor shit, gtfo. The game does lack some more games modes and maps, but the combat is undeniably excellent. It's fun, polished, feels good and has a surprising amount of depth to it (plus a really good skill ceiling).
If only KCD had that game's combat...

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hunt: Showdown is a pretty good looking and demanding game from the Crysis people.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Control just came out. Fairly demanding, lots of physics and destruction, Ray Tracing. It's pretty good too.

Hardware Unboxed just did a 40 game bechmark and Control was by far the poorest performing at high settings, without ray tracing even turned on. If you put a couple things to medium though it runs really well. Also I think most people are somehow okay with the mushy and soft look of DLSS upscaling and are turning that on, which makes them think the game runs well.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Probably Dying Light. The graphics are breathtaking when you're up at certain points. Only issue is that they really did themselves a disservice having the world full of RE: 5 style shacks. It's fun while it lasts, though.

I was gonna say Kingdom Cum but since you don't like it then I dunno.
If you have Crysis 3 already installed then I suggest getting to at least second map for some proper graphics whoring. You can uninstall after that, I guess.
Resident Evil 2 Remake was a a pretty decent game with nice graphics, not among most demanding ones though. Same can be said for RE7, I guess.
Alien Isolation with TAA mod and Advanced Graphics Settings mod looks really fucking good. Again, not among the most demanging but fuck, it looks almost photorealistic at times.
Oh yeah, I guess Deus Ex Mankind Divided is still pretty demanding, and quite graphics whorey, on top of that it's a fairly decent game. In game sharpening option is utter garbage though and without sharpening its TAA is way too blurry, so I would suggest adding some light sharpen with SweetFX instead.
Having trouble thinking of anything else now. For the most part I'm just using that 1060 of mine to supersample the shit out of my older favorites that I keep replaying. Look up Sparse Grid Supersampling if you don't know about it yet, it's the one Nvidia-only thing that is actually worth a damn. Here's the list of AA flags for different games : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ekUZsK2YXgd5XjjH1M7QkHIQgKO_i4bHCUdPeAd6OCo/pub?output=html It is actually the most effective AA I've ever seen, shame it doesn't work above DX9.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
The newest Resident Evil is pretty good if you consider the game finished in your head canon by the time you leave the house.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom