Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Are these fanfictions from the backers ?

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by tyrannosaurus rex, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    I'm 90% sure they'll go to KS anyway, since it's easy money and can be justified by saying "you're backing to get more content!", just like Shadowrun: HK. Put in a few romance stretch goals and an extra companion or two, and they stand to make a cool mil for little effort.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Why take a single name when you can have them both Arcane Zionist Agent

Why take a single name when you can have them both
    I realized very early that characters with a different colored name were these "reach for his soul" NPCs, so I started ignoring them right after Gilded Vale. I didn't realize they were some backer fan-fiction shit, though.

If they are as laughable as OP, however, I guess I could find some entertainment out of this crap :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. PhantasmaNL Arcane Patron

PhantasmaNL
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
    This makes me somewhat cautious for my Torment backer content entry.

I will make doubly sure it will meet, nay exceed, Codex standards.

You will know it when you read it.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    I realised recently that I seriously hate a lot of the rewards stuff in crowd funding.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Gangrelrumbler Arcane

Gangrelrumbler
    I don't know about the backers but I'd prefer if I was made into a normal NPC questgiver or a named bandit, not some special snowflake with stretched out stories. I mean telling people "remember that bandit that killed you on hard back there? It was me!" is much more satisfying than "Remember that textdump about misunderstood yellow vampire? I wrote this shit".

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  6. Durante Learned Patron

Durante
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The backer content is easily the worst part of PoE.

Luckily it's easy enough to ignore.

^ Top  
  7. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    Hopefully there's gonna be a mod what replaces them with generic npcs.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So anyway -

I don't think they were written by the backers. Probably outlined and then written by the real writers, or at least heavily heavily edited. The writing style is way too consistent for them to be straight off the word processors of the general public. Actually, they all sound like they were done by the same guy after you read a few.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    The backer NPS texts can be easily modified cause they are located in the game folder.

Problem is that memorial text files can't be find anywhere? Where are located?

^ Top  
  10. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I liked about 80% to 90% of the stories. Read only about 30 so far.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Pretty much. This is definitely the most hilarious drawback to a Kickstarted game I've yet seen though! :lol:

And to think I read like the first 10-15 before it dawned on me....
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  12. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    It's funny because I have seen like 3 actual god touched npc's that -weren't- backer beta narrative dumps.

However almost all the back beta's are like these robed / armored death / fire / spirit god touched npc's smoking pipes and acting all edgy and cool. I can just picture the lame retards that all tried to be unique designing their NPC's only to have a mod remove them by the end of next month.. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  13. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I like the edgy NPCs, they give charm to the taverns, like the fat guy without fingers smoking a cigar in New Dunryd's Inn.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    So is there any point to these fucks, quest-wise, besides ignore/murder?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Better than paying 1000 kwabux for a virtual spaceship they'll never fly.
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  16. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Well, they just joined the legions of thousands self-published fantasy (and non-fantasy) book authors.

I checked them all out until I realized/found out what they were, and skipped them from then on.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Chateaubryan Cipher

Chateaubryan
    Some of them feel really fanfictional, some of them adds a nice break from the ambiant gloom. I check those occasionnally.
    As zombra said, it's likely they were heavily rewritten by someone at Obsidian.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
    The towns would be significantly more empty.

Unless you mean to just turn them into regular npcs.

I can't really say I've enjoyed most of that fluff, but then again it's ridiculously easy to just ignore the whole lot thanks to the golden tag attached to their names. I just wish there'd be more npcs with, you know, actually meaningful content/things to say.

^ Top  
  19. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Backer NPCs do not bother me, their stories are at least consistent with the in-game lore (I still ignore them since I have realised what they are, though).

Also they are killable.

But those fucking backer memorials full of out-of-place text and internet memes - I hate them. There should be an option to disable those.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  20. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Time to make a run where you kill every backer NPC.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Obsequious Approbation Savant

Obsequious Approbation
    Lesbian wizards staring down the patriarchy defiantly (2x), ignoring their "responsibilities" -- very fucking subtle, thank you very much. And I thought those NPCs might become significant, so I checked them all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They would be stupid to not use Kickstarter. Not for the whole game, but like Larian, they could use the funds to improve the game.

^ Top  
  23. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    Is the money is necessarily there anymore? Maybe OEI would be an exception because they proved they were capable of delivering the goods, but I wonder if crowdfunding is quite the no-brainer that it might have been over a year ago?

Personally, I'd prefer it if they weren't beholden to include the kind of half-baked, fan made crap we got in this game; some of it is OK, but 90% of the backer content I've read is puerile, insipid trash.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    I don't actually mind the stories. They are optional. What annoys me is that the npcs are completely useless. You can't even talk to them and they just stand around without doing anything. They remind me more of a lot of advertising pillars. At least that's consistent with the name of the game.

^ Top  
  25. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This is the first time in history I've been more excited to see "Commoner" than a named NPC.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)