Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are these fanfictions from the backers ?

nikolokolus

Arcane
I love the game so far, but what's so bad about saying I don't really like the fanfic stuff in it?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thank god this game is selling well, which means OEI won't have to go back to Kickstarter and beg for shekels for the sequel.
They would be stupid to not use Kickstarter. Not for the whole game, but like Larian, they could use the funds to improve the game.

Is the money is necessarily there anymore? Maybe OEI would be an exception because they proved they were capable of delivering the goods, but I wonder if crowdfunding is quite the no-brainer that it might have been over a year ago?

Personally, I'd prefer it if they weren't beholden to include the kind of half-baked, fan made crap we got in this game; some of it is OK, but 90% of the backer content I've read is puerile, insipid trash.
I think they did a good job with these fanmade stuff. Totally optional, you can easily ignore it, and most of there are not THAT bad. But the money they got for these was a huge help I assume.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
After playing through the game a little I must say that backer NPCs are not that bad except for one thing. Godlikes are far too common. They were supposed to be a big deal and very rare, yet they are everywhere. I mean sure, some have retarded stories, but most I've read weren't that bad. The only terrible one was about magical lesbians part, and the problem wasn't even that it was about magical lesbians (who didn't like Madoka) the problem is that it had webcomic-tier writing.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Would be cool if areas had more NPC's that had something to say or you could question them, now it often feels like it's 1 quest giver and a bunch of backer NPC's. I guess this has something to do with limited budget and time too.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Does this forum complain about everything even something so little? It's not a big fucking deal.

The only thing you can be mad about really is that, for people who didn't follow the game's release, there is no real indication that these NPC don't do anything other than tell some fanfic. Shit, I learned it just now from this thread that these characters weren't vital and just fan-made content. I actually read about 10 or so of those things. Some are really good, but yeah, some are just all over the place. A lot of those NPCs look so cool too. I thought some were companions that would join later.

Shit, if Obsidian did the Oblivion/Fallout: 3 thing where NPCs just say the same phrase over-and-over people would still be complaining.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Hopefully there's gonna be a mod what replaces them with generic npcs.
You could just not click on them.

Looks like someone's 1000 dollaru backer.

:troll:

I've played PoE for about ten hours or so, and I'm waiting for the first patch but I do think that backer NPCs were a mistake, I'd much rather have generic npcs with couple lines of dialogue instead of fanfics.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OP: Where are these two girls or whatever located?

They're in the Gilded Vale. You can find their house in the northern part of town; the door isn't listed on the mini-map, but if you walk around while pressing tab you will see it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They're also not actually the two lovers from the story, since each backer only gets one NPC and the other woman's story has nothing to do with lesbian frolicking.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'd imagine they could be two irl lesbians. Both donated $1k, one requested lesbian romance, the other something actually good. In their NPC forms they could specify that they want to be put next to each other. Putting both of them in the same house without the consent of the second backer would be a bit awkward since it heavily implies that her character is the second lesbian from the story. It would be extremely awkward if the baker didn't like it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
According to Hiro Protagonist II in Obsidian forums he didn't write the story for his NPC, but Obsidian wrote it, he didn't have input in it. I wonder if lesbian fanfic had input from the backers... :D

Angthoron

Arcane
What irks me more than existence of these backer NPCs are 1) their complete pointlessness (time that could've been spent on more dialogue) and the fact that The Witcher can't use this magicpowa on regular NPCs when you'd think it actually mattered.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
I am only ever bothered by the length of some of them. I have a hard time ignoring things, and when I get hit with like 5 paragraphs, it's just, not this shit again....

They're not that terrible, however. There was one story about a dude fighting some wolf thing, at the end of which he tears off his remaining fingers, was a fun read.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
What irks me more than existence of these backer NPCs are 1) their complete pointlessness (time that could've been spent on more dialogue) and the fact that The Witcher can't use this magicpowa on regular NPCs when you'd think it actually mattered.

I was more annoyed by the selective application of the walker/cipher powers. Sometimes I can mindrape people and get all the info I want without asking. Other times I have to trudge out to the forest, kill a bunch of cats, and stick a corpse's finger up my ass to get the full scoop. No special quests for Ciphers w/ the Cipher Secret Police faction either. Just that one investigation that I kind of broke by jumping to the finale on.

Angthoron

Arcane

I was more annoyed by the selective application of the walker/cipher powers. Sometimes I can mindrape people and get all the info I want without asking. Other times I have to trudge out to the forest, kill a bunch of cats, and stick a corpse's finger up my ass to get the full scoop.
Also this, yeah. Very inconsistent. Hell, you get an option to heal someone's soul for crying out loud, how the hell is it that you wouldn't be using your powers on everything? Especially once you find out your enemy jumps bodies. Aren't you going to be, I dunno, on a lookout for it? What use is reading souls when most of the time you're just running around and stabbing people or making them explode? You're a Watcher, not a Slasher.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I could go for a Dunryd Row game that was pretty much a Dashiell Hammett novel dressed up as one of those gameplay-poor telltale games.

Or just a self-published ebook where MCA does a slashfic subplot b/w a JE-insert and some Pollaxe that's been infused with the soul of long-dead accountant.

Angthoron

Arcane
I could go for a Dunryd Row game that was pretty much a Dashiell Hammett novel dressed up as one of those gameplay-poor telltale games.

Or just a self-published ebook where MCA does a slashfic subplot b/w a JE-insert and some Pollaxe that's been infused with the soul of long-dead accountant.
Oh yeah, Dunryd Row. I really didn't like the resolution of their plot. A thing like that to happen to a house full of Ciphers, I think they went overboard with trying to show off how powerful the guy is. It'd have probably had more weight if
he just killed Lady Webb and disappeared, without the rest sensing anything. I mean, what, he stopped by every cipher to have them kill themselves? That's a pretty comical thought

Killzig

Cipher
Patron

Oh yeah, Dunryd Row. I really didn't like the resolution of their plot. A thing like that to happen to a house full of Ciphers, I think they went overboard with trying to show off how powerful the guy is. It'd have probably had more weight if
he just killed Lady Webb and disappeared, without the rest sensing anything. I mean, what, he stopped by every cipher to have them kill themselves? That's a pretty comical thought
Maybe I missed it, but I was busy pixel hunting for a fobbable
brandy bottle

Angthoron

Arcane

Maybe I missed it, but I was busy pixel hunting for a fobbable
brandy bottle
Understandable, I also went around
Collecting the ciphers' "last day on the job" severance fees

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh for fuck's sake people.

Yes, because in every story in which some random Joe or Jane suddenly acquires psychic powers, they always immediately have complete control and understanding of them, right? :roll:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Oh for fuck's sake people.

Yes, because in every story in which some random Joe or Jane suddenly acquires psychic powers, they always immediately have complete control and understanding of them, right? :roll:
As I said, it's more about the selective application. The quest I referenced is in Act 3 and Dunryd Row is an entire building of people who work at this skill as investigators. I think one of the Cipher biographic dialog responses has a foreign analogue as an option too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom