Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Are these games any good?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by TheHeroOfTime, Oct 21, 2019.

1. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Speaking from your own experience?
    I became a programmer because of NWN, started my own company as a 21 year old kid and finally landed a job at a bank.

• incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    I unironically liked Dungeon Siege

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    My problem isn't that it's too "difficult to comprehend" or not "action packed enough".

The combat is boring, plain and simple. It lacks the tactical possibilities of earlier and later Bioware/Obsidian games (Baldur's Gate, NWN 2, KotoR) where you control full parties instead of one character + AI controlled henchman who does whatever the fuck he wants and will just get himself killed because he's a retard, but it's also not action packed and fast like Dungeon Siege or Diablo (and lol even Dungeon Siege has more tactics because you actually get to control a fucking party).

Some people do enjoy playing D&D games with a solo character for a challenge, and yeah I guess that's nice, I've attempted solo runs too but usually I prefer playing with a party. Class-based systems are intended for parties, not single chars. NWN doesn't let you play with a party. It's 3.5 D&D without a fucking party. You can play ONLY a caster or ONLY a fighter, which severely cuts down the tactical possibilities you have compared to a proper party-based RPG.

NWN doesn't have a learning curve, it has a boredom curve. When you play a fighter, for example, a trash mob encounter with 10 goblins is going to take 10 fucking minutes as your character and the goblins slooooooowly circle around each other and exchange blows while you can't really perform any flanking maneuvers or anything because - guess what - for that you'd need a proper party, like a companion to distract the enemies while you flank. But no, the only companion you get is controlled by the AI and just acts like a retard instead of performing sensible combat maneuvers.

You may as well just walk your character into the room, go and make yourself a coffee, then return. Amazingly "complex" and "engaging" gameplay right there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    so basically the childhood dreams set forth by NWN were so ill guided that instead of making non shitty games you ended up working at a bank

• Funny Funny x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    I wouldn't call NWN the worst RPG ever, but it's pretty bad alright. FWIW I kinda enjoyed HotU (chapters 1 and 2, mostly) and a couple fan modules, but they never elevated the experience over "stunted cousin of Diablo" level to me. Solo 3E doesn't do D&D justice, ESPECIALLY not when played in RTwP. Playing non-mage is like watching paint dry while your henchman runs around like headless chicken and gets fucked by AoOs and traps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    NWN 1 is only good if you're 12 and it's the first D&D RPG you've played.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    I played it around that age, never felt desire to play OC past 2nd chapter. Only things I liked until HotU were character building and toolset. Had limited access to Internet, so no fan mods for kid me.

^ Top  
  8. Mr. Magniloquent Learned

Mr. Magniloquent
    Skip Dungeon Siege 1. It has some charm, but it wears thin after awhile. It is long and mindless. Dungeon Siege 2 is much more fun and worth a playthrough. It's basically a party-based 3D Diablo, as stated by others. NWN2 OC is quite bland, though acceptable if you are absolutely starved for a D&D game. The expansions, Storm of Zehir and Mask of the Betrayer are excellent though, and well worth the price of admission.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AdamReith Educated Patron

AdamReith
    ^ Top  
  11. hexer Arcane

hexer
    I'm
    Well first of all, my family is very, very poor.
    Like so poor, that my father lend me $10 once during his lifetime.
    So working in a bank is a dream come true for me.
    I'm financially doing great thanks to NWN.

And speaking of my dreams - I'm still here working on them, learning, building it all by myself.
    Who knows what will happen in the future!

• Salute Salute x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Elex Scholar

Elex
    at the time was more than fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    the main theme is still stuck in my head, 16 years later

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    no gorasul on your shelve? :decline:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    tbh in setting where succubi are real, Ameli's outfits aren't that outrageous. She doesn't have to actually fight in the field, and a bit of skin keeps that troop morale high :cool:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    NWN 2 is very average, though it has a few interesting (if imperfect) elements, such as the trial and the siege. And SoZ is a mainly a waste of promising ideas (the ultimate dungeon is very good, but I'm not sure it's worth all the effort and time it takes to get there).

It's technically not an expansion, but Mysteries of Westgate is pretty good.

From what I've observed, NWN 1 had better amateur adventures. For NWN 2, I mainly remember the Dark Waters trilogy (very good) and Misery Stone (starts out very well, but becomes rather tiresome after a while).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Yeah it should be considered, but important? I'd say that's more like making sure you're family's fed and your bills are paid.

^ Top  
  18. rohand Arbiter

rohand
    I liked the pnp module adaptations in NWN but like you guys said, they end up lacking in solo-character single player

^ Top  
  19. ProphetSword Arcane

ProphetSword
    The mistake people make with NWN is playing it solo. Play with friends or play on a Persistent World. It’s a whole different experience when you’re playing in a party comprised of real people. Won’t make the OC suck less, but it might make you appreciate what the engine has to offer.

^ Top  
  20. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    If you can convince somebody to play NWN with you, why not play better games together in first place? It really didn't hold well against contemporary releases or even older games. HotU was fine, but I never thought of doing coop run. I got my neighbor to play HotU for a bit (he enjoyed Pale Master we made together), but idk if I'd like to revisit act 3 puzzle land.

^ Top  
  21. Old Hans Arbiter

Old Hans
    I played Drakensang the dark eye & found it pretty boring. The story was very dull

^ Top  
  22. ProphetSword Arcane

ProphetSword
    Because in NWN, I can log onto a PW and play in a DM event, run by a real human being, where the DM speaks through all the NPCs and controls all the monsters. In the meantime, I join ten other players and form a party to play in the event using actual D&D rules.

Besides NWN2, what other game can do that?

^ Top  
  23. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    That does sound nice, never got into multiplayer NWN because I got full access to internet long after my interest vanished. Dunno, probably MUDs.

^ Top  
  24. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    It was fine for a first play through back in 2002 with its presentation, but I don't know how someone would take it now without that wowing them.

Besides that some of dungeons later on can become a slog starting with the ice caves, but the goblin factory really is where its the worst, especially given that you spend so much time in a place that is antithetical to the calming charm of DS1, which is running through nature and old ruins getting into the music. Yes, you get the goblin weapons to try out, but their uniqueness quickly gets old.

That last bit reminds me that the game is, if anything, like a linear walking simulator.

^ Top  
  25. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Really enjoyed the games in this series. Very tempting to keep going to the next fight, one after another. Worth playing.
    Quit playing after 10 hours like someone else said. Just didn't feel it anymore. Same reason I quit 900 other Diablo clones. Though I believe I finished Nox but just couldn't finish Torchlight.

Played the first until I realized I wasn't aiming the bow or attacking, I was just clicking on the map. Realized how ridiculous this was. Stopped. Purchased DS2 to try the Lazarus mod only.

Played NWN2, MOTB - thought they were ok. Would give NWN2 a 6 and MoTB an 8. As much as folks love MoTB, I had some gripes with it, but there are some VERY memorable moments. Didn't like the Spirit Eater thing and they beat the living shit out of the "Mask" as a metaphor for hiding our true selves and such. But worth a play, or as I did, worth creating 20 hours of character combinations before actually starting.

Also, just as a note - recently finished NWN1 EE - as I never completed it. Yes, it's very dull. NPC party member dies every other fight. Can't access parties inventory is infuriating. However, to Beamdog's credit: the game never crashed once. Which is fucking amazing if you ever played the original, trust me! There isn't much C&C, not a lot of alignment opportunities, and at the end of any chapter, you can't finish the previous chapter's quests. Had the time of my life with online mods, though, so can't quite hate this game.

You don't need to hold onto any of these. You can get any one you list for $3 or so here and there. Think NWN2 is like $9

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)