Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Arkane founder Raf Colantonio resigns (aka The Prince of Failure)

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Hardware changes aside, Arx was a reasonable facsimile of UW where there had never been anything close before. It is raised by its reminiscence of and homage to UW. I don;t find it superior in any respect. I find UW graphics and audio quite serviceable 30 years later.

Ash

Arcane
That was exactly the point, there was not nearly enough progress compared to the great advances in hardware and software. UW was running on a 386 33 Mhz .. Arx on Pentium IVs and Athlons with up to 1 Ghz plus GeForce4.

That's fair enough. Still a good effort though. They were working with more complex, and more expensive tech/asset creation pipelines than LG was in 1992, and they were a completely fresh start-up...and while LG was also new they were a tad more experienced, well Neurath was anyhow. Arx had extensive voice acting, much more detailed graphics, much more detailed audio design...all natural progress, yet expensive stuff. I'm not saying Arx is better, just that it was a very noble, very admirable effort that showed a ton of potential for Arkane. Squandered potential. If they did a sequel that was more refined, bigger and better than the first it could have perhaps trumped UW as an experience, but I guess they just couldn't get funded. Arkane's decline was likely not a wilful one.

Also don't know what you mean with "audio design"? UW had superb audio. I could still hum most of the themes, after 25 years.

Audio design is usually in reference to sound effects more than music. Ambient wind blowing down a tunnel and whistling in your ear. Clash of swords. Footstep sounds, stuff like that. And Arx has superb audio design and is leagues ahead of UW in that regard (although again, UW couldn't have this properly because Engine/Software/hardware limitations).

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I guess he means music and atmospherics. They were quite good in UW and I can't remember any tunes in Arx other than that shitty carnival song that played in the city of Arx. Pretty cool that UW had dynamic mucic before that was even a thing. Still love that soundtrack.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Dynamic music was not a new thing in 1992. Wing Commander, Monkey Island 2...

I don't think they were dynamic. Tracks began when battle commenced, mission ended etc. No? UW could see music change several times a minute depending on what you did, how much life you had left, etc.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wing Commander dynamic soundtrack triggers off in mission events ranging from a kill, your ship taking a serious hit, cap ship torpedo run, Wingman ejected. It was all in game action, not a cutscene.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
:salute::salute::salute:

Unfortunately Arx Fatalis may seem like an irrelevant title to many today.

But to those that were both there when Arx hit, and when Ultima Underworld hit in 1992, it means a world of difference.

So long, and thanks for all the fish pie.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Discovering his inner Frenchman like Herve and his pasta restaurant. :P

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
:salute::salute::salute:

Unfortunately Arx Fatalis may seem like an irrelevant title to many today.

Says who? Chunkiness aside its aged very well, and aged better than its more well known competitor - Morrowind (even aged better than MW with mods, arguably). The gameplay is very engaging, way above the standard of Arkane's modern games. The graphics and art hold up for an early 2000s game. Sound design top notch, and there is few other games quite like it that have been made since. It's also a fine example of an Immersive Sim, getting a lot of the design philosophy nailed tight.
It's Arkane's best game and would only be looked to as "irrelevant" out of ignorance.

Ivan

Arcane
Navigation is a pain and the magic system gets old fast. I really enjoyed the environmental interaction though, wish there was more of it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Says who? Chunkiness aside its aged very well, and aged better than its more well known competitor - Morrowind (even aged better than MW with mods, arguably). The gameplay is very engaging, way above the standard of Arkane's modern games. The graphics and art hold up for an early 2000s game. Sound design top notch, and there is few other games quite like it that have been made since. It's also a fine example of an Immersive Sim, getting a lot of the design philosophy nailed tight.
It's Arkane's best game and would only be looked to as "irrelevant" out of ignorance.

Yes, disconnect my words from their environs to prove your fanboyish point. That always works so well, doesn't it?

Hines

Savant
https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1447

Online Game Engineer
Division: Arkane Studios Texas | Department: Programming | Location: Austin , TX, US

Arkane Studios is looking for an Online Game Engineer to join our team in developing AAA games for PC and consoles. The successful candidate will have expert knowledge of and experience in the design, implementation and continuing support of large scale client/server applications using primarily C++. Extensive experience developing online games is required. The ideal candidate will be passionate about technology, have excellent problem solving skills and a desire to work in a creative and collaborative environment.

The sales for Death of the Outsider on Steamspy look underwhelming. The UK sales tell a similar story.

Hines

Savant
You should always take these Glassdoor Reviews with a grain of salt, but here's a recent one called Riding off the fumes of their past for Arkane's Austin studio, which might help explain why Harvey returned stateside:

Doesn't Recommend; Negative Outlook; Disapproves of CEO

Pros
Decent salaries and robust health insurance, not to mention free, collector level games on launch is a nice perk as well.

Relatively positive reputation among consumers which have played Arkane's games.
There are very talented low level employees.
A small team.

Cons
Extremely top heavy, there is an excessive amount of management making decisions ignorant of other teams which is contrary to what I was sold during the interviewing process.

Overall a lack of transparency which is followed by a strong elitist mentality among the leadership which is also parasitic to the individuals they are supposed to be leading. Leadership steadfastly refuses to communicate with their colleagues and fellow leads, when things go wrong they often blame the ones they are leading.

Decisions often designed by committee which can be very frustrating, especially when there is no accountability and ones not in charge and being pulled multiple directions.

Very rough crunch time, spent many nights working into early morning at the end of projects with no compensation for this. Dont expect a large (if any) bonus.

Advice to Management
Stop hiring managers to solve problems, get rid of them and give those responsibilities to the leads. The studio is not large enough to justify more than one.

Hire a Art Director which can communicate and have healthy relationships with the employees.

Listen and take action to the lower employees criticisms and reward them when they make note worthy accomplishments. They feel pretty neglected across the board among all teams.

Set realistic deadlines and stick to them.

A number of people have left Arkane recently, including the level designer behind the Dusk District.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
There were a couple of interviews since the departure.

French one: https://www.factornews.com/interview/raphael-colantonio-le-jour-d-apres-page-1-43540.html

Google Translate said:
Did Dishonored 2 and Prey's commercial chess fail you? Especially since the critical reception was good, even very good, it is inevitably frustrating.

Absolutely not. I had announced my intentions to leave well before Dishonored 2 and Prey were even on the market.

Finally, when you're an indie studio like Arkane was, or you're part of a big machine like Arkane is with Bethesda / ZeniMax behind, what's putting the most pressure? On one side or the other we remain dependent on sales in the end.

That is true. In all cases the pressure is there, and sales are always right. It's more comfortable to be in a big group for obvious reasons, but you control fewer things, so that's what the Americans call "a trade off".

In 2010 (so even before Dishonoredand before the buyout by ZeniMax), when I firstinterviewed you, you told me about the frustration that exists when you make a AAA game to have three billion intermediates for every little aspect of a game. You gave me a very funny and very telling example of modeling an apple. " Today the distance between us and an apple in the game is minimum 4 people, 3 days and 5000 euros ". The longer it went, the worse it became, right?

Haha yes, it's worse, because now the apple is doing even more things.

Far be it from me to want to make you spit in the soup or to make you practice the language of wood but I want to know: was Arkane under the leadership of Bethesda always had the free hands to do the games you really wanted to do?

Rather yes. Bethesda has always had great confidence in our abilities to make quality games. Of course, as long as it fits in a market, it's still a business, but our relationship on this side has always been good.

Russian podcast: https://disgustingmen.com/podkasts/dm-podcast-73-raphael-colantonio-exclusive

(MP3: https://otvratitelnye-muzhiki.podster.fm/77/download/audio.mp3)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Absolutely not. I had announced my intentions to leave well before Dishonored 2 and Prey were even on the market.

If true, maybe we can view Prey in a different light - Raf's attempt to make one last game that's as hardcore as possible before retiring.

Hines

Savant
Wow, Arkane have so many vacancies for senior positions, shipping Prey must have cost them a lot of experienced staff. The Austin studio is looking for an art director, a senior AI engineer, senior gameplay engineer, senior graphics engineer, senior technical artist, and another dreaded online engineer ("to architect and refine game systems and online features related to online games").

https://jobs.zenimax.com/locations/view/3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom