Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA 3

bonescraper

Just starting with the series. Which one should I start first? I have Arrowhead isntalled, as i't standalone. Is there anything I should know before jumping in?
Yes, it runs like shit, the gun handling is shit and the animations are shit.

Buy Arma 3.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thing is 50% off (29.99 - ~25 on ruskie store) until monday on Steam, and since it's 'free to try' also for a couple of days I installed it to see how it preforms on my 4 years old laptop. It does ok on standard settings (1600x900 ~40 FPS) so is it worth getting at that price or should I just keep playing Red Hammer? Considering also that Bohemia stuff is not on sale often.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
This thing is 50% off (29.99 - ~25 on ruskie store) until monday on Steam, and since it's 'free to try' also for a couple of days I installed it to see how it preforms on my 4 years old laptop. It does ok on standard settings (1600x900 ~40 FPS) so is it worth getting at that price or should I just keep playing Red Hammer? Considering also that Bohemia stuff is not on sale often.

If you can get few bros to play ZEUS with you, it's a pretty nice game. I'm playing it from time to time with few lads of mine, and we're mostly doing SpecOps missions with one of us creating shit as a ZEUS. Also, you might try to join one of many communities which play this game weekly, doing major operations and stuff.

SP campaign is pretty boring and generic. Just so you know.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't you play the game? Do you need Codex's opinion whether to know if you like a game or not?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't you play the game? Do you need Codex's opinion whether to know if you like a game or not?

I did play a little bit of it during the free weekend but I don't have as much free time to dedicate to gaming as I used to. And not all of us are cripple kids sitting in front of the home PC 24/7, thus, I asked for input in the ARMA 3 thread. And thanks to SmartCheetah I remembered about Zeus, which I had completely forgotten about.

omega21

Arcane
No, the real shameless part is forcing everyone to download the content.

Unless it's some sort of DLC-lite you use for multiplayer.

Silva

Arcane
So, how is the campaign bros ? I loved ARMA 2 campaign because of it open-ended nature. It almost felt like Skyrim with guns for me.

How does A3 campaign compares to that ?

A3 campaign, for the most part, is a linear, hold your hand, do this, do that piece of boring shit that I've ever had the misfortune of playing. This gets especially bad during the last 'Win' campaign. In one of the latter missions there is literally a segment where you're assaulting the edge of a city, and you see your marines shooting blindly, non stop, behind cover and wrecks at the enemy cheeki greekis, who too are shooting in your general direction, never hitting anything, just tracers everywhere.
Your task is to flank around and destroy a tank who's tracks have been disabled, and you literally have to do exactly that. Deviate from this rigid set of conditions and you get killed. Try to snipe those greeks behind cover, and realize they're immortal. Storm the barricade and you get shot. No, the only course of action is to flank around this little scripted event, and blow that tank up.

I only need one hand to count the number of true open ended missions across all campaigns. The rest are without a doubt inspired by Call of Duty where they'd rather have you go to this exact spot so you're guaranteed to see these pretty helicopters flying right above your head and that jet buzzing right beside you and those paratroopers dropping right in front of your field of vision for those pretty pretty Hollywood-movie-esque action movie moments filled with tension and explosions and lens flares.

Go back to older BIS games. At no point will you be flying a helicopter, at no point will you be driving a tank or an APC. The RTS/take and hold gimmick of Arma 2 is gone. There is not a single mission where you'll be assaulting more than one or two cities, or have to travel vast distances. The second campaign has you commanding small squads but the AI is as dumb as ever so you'll solo those missions anyway. At no point will you be anything other than a generic confused US Marine shooting bullet sponges who wiggle like Parkinsons patients from bullet impacts shooting the same old boring plastic toy weapons.

If you want this, go play Call of Duty, it did it better. If you want open world missions, go back to previous games in the series.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I made a movie for CDS'ers but I suppose codecsers can watch it too. It's to inspire you to join my fireteam. I hope you like it. If you want to trie out for my fireteam as a subordinate go to pound tag lilydonusts dot com.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I know I've posted this somewhere back in the thread before but here's the updated version for those interested in installing the STHUD mod.

*Note, if you have mods installed but haven't updated them for a long time and are having conflicts, just make a new folder called 00OldMods and copy all the folders that start with an @ sign into it. Maybe check your launch options and clear it.

INSTALL CBA (Community Base Addons)
------------------------------------------------------
This is the base that most other mods use.

Download Page:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18768

Download the file somewhere (I use x:/Games/Arma3/Mods) and extract it.

Copy the @CBA_A3 folder over to your Arma3 install, usually:

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

INSTALL STHUD
-------------------

Shacktack Hud. This thing shows proximity, orientation and distance of your fireteam members. It gives you situational awareness, I consider this mod indispensable. It's great. I even use it for single player.

sthud_color_coding_4.jpg

Download Page:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18949

Again, download somewhere and extract it. This has some other mods that Shacktack uses but we just want STHUD, so copy the @sthud folder over to your Arma3 install directory.

Your Arma 3 install folder should now look something like this:

y8Vu7nB.png

To enable these you can do it in-game by going to Main Menu->Configure->Expansions

Since I always want these two mods running I add a command line on game boot.

To do this go to your Steam Library, right-click on Arma 3 then select Properties.

Under the GENERAL tab click the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS button.

Then add:

-nosplash -world=empty -mod=@CBA_A3;@sthud

-nosplash gets rid of intro crap and -world=empty doesn't load a background thing for the main menu. Just makes booting faster.

VcyEx90.png

Click okay and you're done.

XbrOjLy.jpg

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Well, we did play the Alpha and Beta for awhile. But I guess since they moved it from Gamespy to Steam what happens when you use the server browser is it floods your router with a gazillion connections which then kills my internet for a minute or two.

It's because of the shitty router/modem that my ISP gave me. I've requested a different model or just the modem and I'll use my own router. Until then I won't be hosting Arma 3 but maybe someone else will.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Okay, guess I'll make an updated post to install CBA and STHUD for Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. Will work with Combined Operations I suppose.

I haven't played Arma 2 for over a year so decided to put all my @Mods into a different folder and start from scratch.

Like the above, alls we need for now is CBA and STHUD. These aren't required or mandatory but will help you out when playing on Expert.

You can download CBA from here (FTP link is at bottom of the page):

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6231

Extract the zip and copy the @CBA_CO folder over to your Arma 2 OA directory. Usually:

X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead

Now download STHUD:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9936

Unzip the file somewhere. Go into a2 folder then copy @sthud to your Arma 2 AO folder.

Your Arma 2 AO (or Combined Operations) folder should look something like this:

R41i8Li.png

Now you can enable these mods with the GUI by going to: Main Menu->Expansions and then enabling and disabling whatever you want.

Since I always want CBA and STHUD loaded whether in single player or MP, I put it in the Steam Launch Options.

Right-click Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead->Properties->General Tab->SET LAUNCH OPTIONS...

At the minimum you should have:

-mod=@CBA_CO;@sthud

If you want to get fancy, add this
-noPause (game runs in background when not in focus)
-nosplash (no intro videos/splash screens/etc)
-world=empty (get rid of loading backgrounds in Main Menu)

if you have a four core CPU this might possibly give you a few more FPS (I haven't thoroughly tested it though):

-high -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxmem=2047

This is what my full command line looks like:

-mod=@CBA_CO;@sthud high -noPause -nosplash -skipintro -world=empty -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxmem=2047

This is the Arma 3 version video but Arma 2 is the same if you want to get an idea of what this is about.

Silva

Arcane
What are good single-player fan made missions for ARMA 2 and 3 ?

I played an ARMA 2 mission a while ago that was really interesting, it had this neat plot where you had to infiltrate a camp and steal a intel package and extract, and you could set various mission parameters, etc.

Any help appreciated.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
What are good single-player fan made missions for ARMA 2 and 3 ?

I played an ARMA 2 mission a while ago that was really interesting, it had this neat plot where you had to infiltrate a camp and steal a intel package and extract, and you could set various mission parameters, etc.

Any help appreciated.

It's a good question, Silva.

I recently downloaded CWR2 (Cold War Revisited) which are the maps from the first Arma or something. I haven't played it but I can't stand Arma SP so....

I don't know about Campaigns but there are a gazillion missions made by users that are usually a lot better than what comes with the game. I would just browse through Armaholic.com and see what you find. Anything made for less than four or five people in coop should work for you. Good luck.

Or join us in CDS. Always looking for new victims.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom