Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA 3

CreamyBlood

Arcane
The new movement/combat animations are fucking awesome, but the fires are still ungodly ugly. Are there seriously noone working for those people that know how to make a proper fire with proper smoke/flame trails?

Default flames in Arma 2 are fairly lackluster but it has a heavily modable particle system, you can change many properties to get the effects you want.

Check this out: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ParticleArray

It's not as intuitive or easy as using Unity or something similiar but you can make some great effects, you have to learn it and experiment.

I wanted to have burning oil fields like in the Gulf War for one of my missions. I used a script that someone else made and modified it. To be honest, it took me about five days to get the explosions I wanted. I also toned it down a bit. The in-game wind will actually spread your particles but it can kill your frame rate. Earlier iterations had very long streaming smoke stacks in the wind.

The mission I created this for is vanilla with up to six players and you only have to destroy four designated oil pumps. I imagine if you blew up all oil pumps and had eighty people on the server there could be some lag although I haven't and probabably won't test it. Perhaps that's why they leave the basic flames, basic, they don't know if you'll have twenty tanks burning away on the screen at once.

And maybe this isn't impressive in todays world, but I was happy with the effect. I would have liked to get the smoke streaming farther but as I recall I was going to fake it a bit by making the sky darker. Everything has a cost and you have to balance it. Still, I liked what I got. In fact I made a template so that this entire oil field is destructable. Lot's of possibilities.

In testing, sometimes my random helicopters blow up oil pumps while trying to shoot takistans. It's a lot of fun.

Hopefully Arma 3 will look better for you but I'm more into the gameplay myself. For me, the flames can take a second seat in the priority list of things 'to-do'.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There have been some dumbing down (non-blinding sun and rolling on the ground not disorienting you when aiming) but a lot more smartening up.

But overall I can say it's the best ArmA game to date.

More and in detail later.

Multi-headed Cow

I need detailed pictures of civilian models and information on what you can do to/with civilians in-game.

For reasons.

In any/all of the ARMA games.

With or without mods.

i may have been playing too many bethesda games

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you can drive them over with your tank. there are no kids though, because in czech republic kids are kept in home all the time.

thesoup

Arcane
Gonna get it this or next week. Hopefully we can stack up a codexian party.:salute:

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Oh man, I was having so much fun. I was playing some sandbox with NATO, OPFOR and INDEPEDENT, and we just ran around in a convoy of ATVs and battlewagons and were raping people. We shot down some choppers, chased down a couple of ATV guys and sent them to hell as well.

Also, I had some CQB with pistols which were fun. I really enjoyed the Alpha so far. There are a bunch of glitches though, like having the ground meshes "move" with you when you are laying down prone, and things like that.

Flanged

Scholar
It looks good so far, sure it plays good if you're used to the traditional BIS clunkiness. What's the texture pop-up/pop-in on foliage like, especially in dense forest? Still Arma 2-ish? I'm no graphics whore but that amount of lod trashing was giving me headaches even on a powerful machine with all the supposed fixes (other than a RAM drive) applied, and was bad enough to effect gameplay imo.

Do you have multiple stances for vaulting over objects as well?

Low vault, normal vault, pole vault maybe?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like my laptop meets the minimal system requirements, but I would like to be sure before I start saving money for the game, so if anyone could spare alpha-invite they get when buying it, I would be thankful.

Data4

Arcane
Here's hoping it remains a tactical shooter with a varied mission campaign to the very end instead of suddenly turning into a fucking ground-level RTS. That pissed me off about ArmA2 so much that I stopped playing when I first got to that point and never touched it since, including DLC/expansions. It went from awesome to LOLC&C:RENEGADE!!!!! in no time flat

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Whats next, chickens denouncing the player behaviour to the town guard :lol: STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM. :hearnoevil:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Skyway, your video contained a distinct lack of advertising for my Chinese sweatshops and coal mines. As your official ARMA III sponsor, I demand you get on that marketing right away, unless you want to work in one of them instead. Remember, the Dew and Doritos I provide come with a price attached.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Not removing from inventory right now, I'll buy it if it the gunplay is good, without the clunkiness of ARMA 2.
The concept of these games is great and the graphics are sweet.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
People buy this crap for real money? :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom