Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Brigade is a horrible game

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It and my dozen mods for it have sucked out 95% of my wargaming time. Fuck, I have Peter Turcans wargames to learn and enjoy their command & control simulation - I play Armored Brigade instead, I have Fire-Brigade, Command Ops and Halls of Montezuma for with subordinate AI - I play Armored Brigade.
Fuck. Fuckiytyy Fuck!! FUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!! :x

DakaSha

Arcane
is this what all those mentions of AB in other threads were leading up to?

Personally i couldnt get that into it :smug:

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Yeah, the game is great, especially if you consider that it's free of charge and the guy making it keeps adding new stuff. I didn't get that much into it, since it covers pretty boring period imo. Never had any interest in Cold War wargames. On the other hand, if he makes a WW2 version covering Eastern Front...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Yeah, the game is great, especially if you consider that it's free of charge and the guy making it keeps adding new stuff. I didn't get that much into it, since it covers pretty boring period imo.
That's why I have a dozen of mods :smug: .

Never had any interest in Cold War wargames. On the other hand, if he makes a WW2 version covering Eastern Front...
There's some dude working on a WW2 Eastern Front database. I'm not sure if he didn't release an in-progress version already.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
WW2 eastern front is not a boring period? You mean it wasn't done like in 20+ games by now?
Well, to me it's boring. 1939-1941 and Khalkin Ghol could be pretty interesting, though.

Which mods would you recommend, there, awor? Don't be such a cockblocker.
Well, here is the modding forum:
http://www.armoredbrigade.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12
I haven't played most of the mods because the newest version isn't working on my comp.

Here's a thread for a WWII mod:
http://www.armoredbrigade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=567

DakaSha

Arcane
Are you shitting me? Well fuck this game and its retard dev
Why? The random maps were shitty anyway.

Fanboy logic detected.
Sorry but you can not convince me that removing a perfectly functional feature that was already integrated for years makes any sense. Its not like you can only have one or the other. And the pre designed maps are Horrible. I did look at the results and honestly i prefer the random maps.

So basically now we have non random shitty maps instead of semi shitty random maps. Great tradeoff.

Can you at least use the different biomes for the horrible static maps?

DakaSha

Arcane
Was there some documented reason for removing random maps? Huge game engine changes or anything?

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I've browsed AB forums earlier, but there just don't seem to be anything interesting/playable out there. Or am I missing something.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Fanboy logic detected.
Sorry but you can not convince me that removing a perfectly functional feature that was already integrated for years makes any sense. Its not like you can only have one or the other. And the pre designed maps are Horrible. I did look at the results and honestly i prefer the random maps.

So basically now we have non random shitty maps instead of semi shitty random maps. Great tradeoff.

If I remember correctly, the author was afraid that mechanized AI can't into urban terrains and added shitty low density urban terrain as a default. Also, it was added to make map making easier.
It resulted in shitty looking maps in the latest versions.
I don't play the latest versions, though.

Was there some documented reason for removing random maps? Huge game engine changes or anything?
Dude. Random maps were flat. No one on forum ever mentioned them again after the non-random maps were implemented.

DakaSha

Arcane
Fanboy logic detected.

If I remember correctly, the author was afraid that mechanized AI can't into urban terrains and added shitty low density urban terrain as a default. Also, it was added to make map making easier.
It resulted in shitty looking maps in the latest versions.
I don't play the latest versions, though.

Dude. Random maps were flat. No one on forum ever mentioned them again after the non-random maps were implemented.

I dont remember them being flat at all. In fact I remember them being to hilly if anything

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I dont remember them being flat at all. In fact I remember them being to hilly if anything
I mean flat as non-hills being flat. Everything that wasn't a hill was on the same height. Which meant horribly long lines of sight and stuff like that.

DakaSha

Arcane
I mean flat as non-hills being flat. Everything that wasn't a hill was on the same height. Which meant horribly long lines of sight and stuff like that.

Can't argue that. I still don't see why it had to be removed (again it's not like it should have been a problem)
I was skimming the forum and it looked like he was working on an alternative mapgen which would be nice.. I STILL dont see why he just removed the old one. I just imagine this dev looking at the result and getting super butthurt and removing it out of self spite

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Can't argue that. I still don't see why it had to be removed (again it's not like it should have been a problem)
I was skimming the forum and it looked like he was working on an alternative mapgen which would be nice.. I STILL dont see why he just removed the old one. I just imagine this dev looking at the result and getting super butthurt and removing it out of self spite
Well, he still can't implement a multi-save interface, maybe he has problem with menus or something, or maybe it's just that no one demanded for the mapgen to stay.

Veitikka

Novice
The random map generator was ditched mainly because the random maps were far from the standard of the real terrain maps. The new maps have their shortcomings, but they're still much more realistic than anything that I can generate in the code. Just go to see the new screenshots. It's possible that the random generated maps will come back later.

The map area is already so huge that there shouldn't be a lack of places to fight in.

DakaSha

Arcane
The random map generator was ditched mainly because the random maps were far from the standard of the real terrain maps. The new maps have their shortcomings, but they're still much more realistic than anything that I can generate in the code. Just go to see the new screenshots. It's possible that the random generated maps will come back later.

The map area is already so huge that there shouldn't be a lack of places to fight in.

Lol figures i act overly edgy and the dev shows up. In case you didnt know its a codex staple h so no offence meant. Random maps are a must though.

In any case welcome to the forum

(edit: i still dont understand whats wrong with having the option )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom