Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ash of Gods: Redemption - Banner Saga-like with CCG elements

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just played through the first chapter. My initial impressions:

If you liked the Banner Saga, you will like this. They are incredibly similar, and not just aesthetically. The fully animated bits are awesome.

Combat has somewhat different mechanics. Not sure if it’s better or worse than Banner Saga—too soon to tell. Not bad, though.

I like the story so far, but the writing occasionally seems a little off. Mostly okay, it’s just that sometimes there will be a turn of phrase that doesn’t quite scan; it’s still comprehensible albeit inelegant. Probably could’ve used one last editing pass from a native English speaker. That’s my only real complaint so far.

Heretic

Cipher
If the initiative system is different than the round robin in Banner Saga, that's already a huge improvement in my eyes.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
If the initiative system is different than the round robin in Banner Saga, that's already a huge improvement in my eyes.

It’s different. You get a move then they get a move then you get a move, but there’s no order. You have to take a first turn with all of your units before you can take a second turn with any of them and so on. So your character who goes last in the first round can go first in the second round—it’s up to you. This also seems to make the enemy AI behave a lot more intelligently.

You get no real benefit from leaving injured enemies alive because damage isn’t dependent on health (there are special attacks that cost hit points to execute, but it’s very different from TBS strength/armor system). Anybody who’s still alive is a threat and the flexible sequence means you have fewer opportunities to game the turn order.

So combat has some profound differences. But I don’t want to prejudge as I’ve only had four or five fights. Got my ass handed to me on a bridge because I didn’t bring enough archers—rarely happened in TBS.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I am about an hour in... So far this game has way more C&C than banner saga 1 and 2.. The fact is you choose where to go in the main map and do not follow a predistained path like banner saga caravan... The combat is better than banner saga because it does not punish you for killing enemies.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Forgot I backed this and bought the game a couple hours ago on Steam... so I've got an extra Steam key on my hands. Anyone interested in doing a short review ? :)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm watching a LP of the first hour...

What the fuck went wrong with the writing in this game? It's terrible... "give me the knife" "ok here is the knife" "i have foreseen you will kill me with it" "Laters"

Can't see myself buying this, even discounted, it's just too off-putting to read.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Its still have this similar to Banner Saga(as far as I remember - so not that well) retarded combat system where last enemy get multiple moves until your whole team moved.
So your team have like 4 men - turn movement.
Your man(1)-last enemy-your man(2)-last enemy-Your man(3)-last enemy-your man(4)-last enemy and now you can choose again from your men.
So in short last enemy get 4 moves when your guys each get one in the big turn.
I am retarded(always a option) or there is something more to this?
Also did first arc of the captain story(get to the menhir) and after fight on the bridge(sadly you can't see place of battle before choosing team) one of my guy dies(and he wasn't even in the battle????) as a result.
Overall.
Like the style and graphics. Writings is somewhat off but can't pinpoint what exactly -kind of stiff.
Open map and travel is fine - combat system(duality of health and energy etc) looks decent but turn system completely retarded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL those guys decided to do hard or trivial difficulty. Really stupid decision,wanted to play something with a few challenging battles,not be fucked over by the 4th battle. While story mods extremely easy. As for the game....the battle system is pretty good,the writing is serviceable,the game itself is one of the run against the time kind of games. If they decided to go for exploration and adventure,the game would have been ten times better,but they decided to go for the despair and humanity is doomed epic story.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Forgot I backed this and bought the game a couple hours ago on Steam... so I've got an extra Steam key on my hands. Anyone interested in doing a short review ? :)

You'd give the key in the hope that someone would do a review for a game you already own?

Why not just refund on Steam?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't know about the game,but the soundtrack is awesome. I have left the game running in the background and listen to the song in the main menu. Also i could be wrong on the difficulty,apparently i was playing the older version, i am downloading newer version to try it out.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

I can do that if you've still got it. But mind you, I'll be focusing mostly on combat & "RPG" mechanics and, from what I've seen from the trailers, they are utter shit.

It's funny, I remember seeing their game designer recruitment ad in the major VK indie game designer community and I've even thought about applying, but they were all about "you need to have experience, you need to be mega-skilled, etc." And the end result of their mega-experienced dude working is pathetic as fuck.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Its still have this similar to Banner Saga(as far as I remember - so not that well) retarded combat system where last enemy get multiple moves until your whole team moved.
So your team have like 4 men - turn movement.
Your man(1)-last enemy-your man(2)-last enemy-Your man(3)-last enemy-your man(4)-last enemy and now you can choose again from your men.
So in short last enemy get 4 moves when your guys each get one in the big turn.
I am retarded(always a option) or there is something more to this?
Also did first arc of the captain story(get to the menhir) and after fight on the bridge(sadly you can't see place of battle before choosing team) one of my guy dies(and he wasn't even in the battle????) as a result.
Overall.
Like the style and graphics. Writings is somewhat off but can't pinpoint what exactly -kind of stiff.
Open map and travel is fine - combat system(duality of health and energy etc) looks decent but turn system completely retarded.
Agreed, it improves on Banner Saga, but the initiative remains too nonsensical for my tastes.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can do that if you've still got it. But mind you, I'll be focusing mostly on combat & "RPG" mechanics and, from what I've seen from the trailers, they are utter shit.

It's funny, I remember seeing their game designer recruitment ad in the major VK indie game designer community and I've even thought about applying, but they were all about "you need to have experience, you need to be mega-skilled, etc." And the end result of their mega-experienced dude working is pathetic as fuck.

Good enough, I've PMed you the key.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm watching a LP of the first hour...

What the fuck went wrong with the writing in this game? It's terrible... "give me the knife" "ok here is the knife" "i have foreseen you will kill me with it" "Laters"

Can't see myself buying this, even discounted, it's just too off-putting to read.

It's not just an ordinary weapon, either, it's what they use to kill their eternal foes.

"This is probably the only thing that can kill a Reaper (and ostensibly bring closure to my centuries-long plight of regret). Whelp, here you go."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom