Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ash of Gods: Redemption Released

This is actually much better reaction from you guys that I might have expected, you're all fluffly cuddly teddy bears inside.

:love:

No offense man, but codex is like a 24/7 comedy roast. I once watched a video where ppl were roasting Patrice Oneal. And one of the comics was being a bit too nice. He was all "No...Roasts are supposed to em be mean! so be mean!!"

I hope ppl here don't hold back. Let's hear the good and the bad.
The bad impressions are in the release tread, mostly they're consisting of subjective dislike of some plot elements and "combat is too hard" though.

Quantomas

Savant
Overall it goes pretty well, still waiting for major media reviews to kick in.
Congrats for launching AoG, its combination of features makes it interesting, with the music, art and story the highlights.

But unless you don't mind selling only a fraction of its potential in the West, you need to do something about the English translation. I bet there won't be a mainstream reviewer who won't mention the wonky translation.

Technically, it's already too late, because the first impression sticks to a game in this market, and in general user's don't read patch notes to look for improvements. But you can still do something, if you put an effort into it, let's say a free DLC that you call Professional English Translation Upgrade or something like that.

My advice regarding the translation itself, get a Codexer who speaks English natively and who has a penchant for roleplaying and writing and offer him/her a nice incentive. That will do much better than a lot of the wonky overrated translation services.

You should normally do that *before* you release a game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, it was some time from my last rage quit but this game made me do it.

I won all the fights but I did not pay attention to stryxis management and it seems that my team was doomed to fail no matter what I did because I have chosen the wrong path in chapter 1. I'm sorry but this is really stupid. 2-3 hours wasted. I'm not in a hurry to replay the same shit.

If that is not enough, the initiative system is so imbecilic that you want to have less people in your fighting rooster. Yes, some fights are easier with 5 and even 4 fighters instead of 6. Honestly, I don't remember encountering something like this before.

Banner Saga had the same issue but at least then the problem was mitigated by the fact that the enemies harmed were doing less damage. In this game not so much. It's really bad.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I won all the fights but I did not pay attention to stryxis management and it seems that my team was doomed to fail no matter what I did because I have chosen the wrong path in chapter 1. I'm sorry but this is really stupid. 2-3 hours wasted. I'm not in a hurry to replay the same shit.

If that is not enough, the initiative system is so imbecilic that you want to have less people in your fighting rooster. Yes, some fights are easier with 5 and even 4 fighters instead of 6. Honestly, I don't remember encountering something like this before.

Banner Saga had the same issue but at least then the problem was mitigated by the fact that the enemies harmed were doing less damage. In this game not so much. It's really bad.

Did you just run out of stryxis supplies or did you try to play it out with a limited number? You will be able to get more within a day or two. Even if you don't, only a few of your characters should take wounds, let alone die.

Here's the thing: I actually think this element of the strategic layer is really well done. Unlike Banner Saga where the only consequence of bad supply management was having less energy in each fight, here it can actually kill people. That's good! If they give you the choice to take any route you want, there should be consequences for making bad decisions. Choice and consequence--imagine that! AoG takes every opportunity to remind you that you need to go quickly and avoid running low on supplies, so if you chose to take a roundabout route to the next town, that's on you. Games should punish you for not paying attention.

Did everyone in your party actually die or did you just give up when you encountered the slightest resistance? You can lose your main character and the story will keep going. It's like you're pissed at the game because you couldn't play it perfectly.

Also, the initiative system here isn't perfect, but it's better than the banner saga.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So played it for several hours, My impressions mustawd.

++Art is more than decent; I am not a fan of the art-style though.

+++ Music is superb.

==Combat is bearable.
++It is turn based
--has that round robin initiate thing (which is massive faggotry imo). So sometimes going in with less PCs can actually be beneficial. Also going in with less PCs tends to award better magi cards.
=Magic is kind of a CCG with once per battle. You arrange a deck of cards before battle; they can be sued once per battle and not all magic can be sued in the first turn. Effectively Pseudo-Vancian. Interesting but I am not a fan of CCGs.

==Dialogue is wonky. Most of it is bearable; but sometimes there are clear translation derps. Not a deal-breaker; but Grammar Nazis will be triggered.

++Decent CnC in banner Saga style. (an example without being too spoilery: If you select to get jewels as a birthday gift for your hoe in chapter begining1; you get the option to get a top up of an important resource called strix)

== Character Progression. While Characters start with a class/archtype with more or less fixed stats and role; Level-up points can influence the direction your combatant leans into. Better than most jRPGs; but don't expect the complexity of DnD 3.5e

Summary:
Depending on how well the narrative holds up at later chapters, has the potential to nicely appeal to storyfags. Combat is bearable, but at least it is turn based so you don't need mindless twitch reflexes/nor the prosperous hybrid RTwP. In fact if you can get over the butthurt of the round-robin initiative system ( I cannot), Combat can be good tactical fun and enough of a challenge without being face-roll. Dialogue does become wonky, but eh not that noticeable in sot places.
All in all; if you liked Banner Saga 1, you will find this great for scratching that same itch. Simply the artstyle/music and CnC elements are good enough for me to play-through it, at-least once.

PS: For total story faggots; there is casual mode which auto-resovles battles so dweeb weaboos can play it liek a Visual Novel, but with less kawaii desu-desu.
Sniffing pantsu incoming

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Did you just run out of stryxis supplies or did you try to play it out with a limited number? You will be able to get more within a day or two. Even if you don't, only a few of your characters should take wounds, let alone die.

Here's the thing: I actually think this element of the strategic layer is really well done. Unlike Banner Saga where the only consequence of bad supply management was having less energy in each fight, here it can actually kill people. That's good! If they give you the choice to take any route you want, there should be consequences for making bad decisions. Choice and consequence--imagine that! AoG takes every opportunity to remind you that you need to go quickly and avoid running low on supplies, so if you chose to take a roundabout route to the next town, that's on you. Games should punish you for not paying attention.

Did everyone in your party actually die or did you just give up when you encountered the slightest resistance? You can lose your main character and the story will keep going. It's like you're pissed at the game because you couldn't play it perfectly.

Also, the initiative system here isn't perfect, but it's better than the banner saga.

All my characters had 3 wounds and I could not win the next fight because of the penalties. Simple as that.

Morkar Left

Misread the title.

The Codex warned them devs back in the day that their tittle has a problem. They thought (and think) that it has not.

It's their bed of rose now~

What's the problem with the title?
Ash of Gods!

The tittle say itself, really.

We/I made the point that the tittle is a bit too sexy so they should make a few more sexy details in the game. They refused, citing something about a serious game (which lot of dexers agree) but refuse to change the name since they think people will be serious and think this game serious.

Well~

What?????? That answer confuses me more than it explains things to me.

Martyr

Arcane
PS: For total story faggots; there is casual mode which auto-resovles battles so dweeb weaboos can play it liek a Visual Novel, but with less kawaii desu-desu.

this reminds me of "Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire", another game heavily inspired by Banner Sage. in Tahira you didn't even have to fight once, you could play the whole game like a visual novel.

vazha

Arcane
Probably the fact that your characters can die during cyoa missions?

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer
I've made my KS at about the same time as Ash of Gods. Though mine didn't work out, I was actually glad these guys made it through. Wish my game got these guys' initial success, because the overall work is great. Criticisms aside from some mechanics which can completely break their game and that didn't made out in the final version, it's overall a nice spiritual cousin of the Banner Saga games.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Misread the title.

The Codex warned them devs back in the day that their tittle has a problem. They thought (and think) that it has not.

Ash of Gods!

We/I made the point that the tittle is a bit too sexy so they should make a few more sexy details in the game. They refused, citing something about a serious game (which lot of dexers agree) but refuse to change the name since they think people will be serious and think this game serious.

Well~

Title doesn't say anything to me.

Maybe I should stick a grampy bone piercing through my nose and ask to ancestors...

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Misread the title.

Ash of Gods!

Well~

Title doesn't say anything to me.

Maybe I should stick a grampy bone piercing through my nose and ask to ancestors...

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one to not get it. I feel less stupid.

laclongquan

Arcane
Are you trolling me? Fine! I'll bite.

My old argument is that the name is suggestive: Ass of Gods... if they had done some sexy girl poster with name it would help with marketing. I mean, really help~ Or they could just change the name a bit.

They bobbed and weaved and basically avoid my argument and said something along the line the name was fine.

ArchAngel

Arcane
By reading this topic I see this game is heavily inspired by Banner Saga systems. Considering Banner Saga is one of the worst game I ever tried to play I guess I can easily skip this shit as well.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

My old argument is that the name is suggestive: Ass of Gods... if they had done some sexy girl poster with name it would help with marketing. I mean, really help~ Or they could just change the name a bit.

They bobbed and weaved and basically avoid my argument and said something along the line the name was fine.
I don't know what kind of prepubescent audience you expect to attract like that, but I seriously doubt they wanted it in the first place.

Bohr

Arcane
I honestly didn't find the name "suggestive" at all, was baffled like a couple of others ITT until it was explained

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Thank you for solving that mystery!
Ass is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I read Ash. So maybe it's 'Too low sex hormones'.

Still the sexy girl poster would have helped whatever the name, since the kind of peope that would be susceptible to it wouldn't change their mind just because there's a pun in the name.

We are too highbrow for that tactic, but we are too hardheaded to change the name once deciding.

Maybe they didn't think it was a big enough problem to change the branding, find another name and the associated domain, perhaps change the kickstarter campaign and Steam store page... Or perhaps they did not care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom