Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Ash of Gods: Redemption Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Mar 23, 2018.

1. mustawd. Arcane

mustawd.
    Ass of Gods is something you’d think about if you like to receive an....oh...I see...

^ Top  
  2. Dwarvophile Learned

Dwarvophile
    Ass of Gods, I see... Isn't it where Boo lives ?

Is this where "holy shit" coming from ?

I would never have guessed ! Sounds a bit far fetched to me. But then again, englisih is not my mother tongue.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    oooooh, does it strike a nerve? Didit?

All these alts' attempts to passive aggressive counter argument...

Man, them newbies this day... they just cant take it like a woman.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Aterdux Entertainment Aterdux Entertainment Developer

Aterdux Entertainment
    I initially thought AoG was a clone of Banner Saga and didn't even back them during Kickstarter. Last year in Autumn on Devgamm games conference that was in my hometown (Minsk, Belarus) I was a judge and this game was on my list. I started to play it and forgot about time. The story is amazing, the way it's presented is amazing too. I didn't care much for combat (not a fan of TBS combat either) but the story and presentation alone make it worth. I met the developers too and apologized for my quick and wrong impression AoG being a clone of TBS. No, it's not a clone, while some things are similar, AoG is quite a different game that can stand on its own. While I like TBS visual style better, the game as whole I like AoG better.

Hope the guys will have a success. I for one will place the first ever media on my black list: 4Players.de. By now I got over from the low score we got for Legends of Eisenwald, but they now gave this cool game a 5. Not 5 out of 5, but 5 out of 100. They must be insane.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.4players.de/4players.php...est/38719/83097/0/Ash_of_Gods_Redemption.html

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    How the fuck word ash is suggesting word ass?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 6
    ^ Top  
  7. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    If you had a lisp, maybe, dunno. But then such is the laclongquan school of marketing: sex sells.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    0:25-0:35 :

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    That 4Players.de review wrecked their Metacritic score (51%). On the other hand, the Steam player ratings have been steadily climbing from a post-release low of ~77% to 84%.

^ Top  
  10. toro Arcane

toro
    After 20 hours I'm in chapter IX (I think) and the game is not really impressive to be honest.

The overall story might be okeish but they've stretched it for miles. To be honest, there are 3 intertwined storylines... however after a couple of hours I've reached the point where I simply press Space to skip the text bloat. There is a real limit to how much lore dump a human can take.

Needless to say, I think I'm near end game and the balance flew out of the window. I'm not sure I can finish the game because:

Show Spoiler
    I've lost two level-up characters in one seemingly random game-event and now one storyline is pretty much fucked. I don't know, maybe I find a solution but it doesn't look good.

Yeah, I've won all fights without losing any character, I've used the minimum number of combatants, I've paid attention to resources and I'm still fucked because the game was designed in such an "intelligent" way. Whoever designed this doesn't understand what C&C means.

Anyway, I will return with more information about the combat mechanics ... which are a complete clusterfuck.

^ Top  
  11. karoliner Savant

karoliner
    Show Spoiler
    If you lost the twins is okay that storyline is very close to end anyway. All the remaining fights are with the ninja and the highlander.

The game was very meh anyways, i think the devs's heart is in the right place but they lack the skill pull it off.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    You know what game Ash Of God remind me? Planescape Torment.

To be precise, it's Planescape Torment marketing. and Ash's is better.

It's not a praise.

Who on Earth think an avatar of a computer game being an ugly man mug will sell?

At least Ash of God avatar is a (living) ugly man, not a scarred zombie face.

And they will keep insisting
    :thisisfine:

^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. baud Learned

baud
    [​IMG]

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. toro Arcane

toro
    Done. I don't know what to say except that I'm relieved that it ended.

Writing - It's bad. Whoever wrote the script doesn't know how to build mystery or write believable characters or cut it short when needed: dialog lines with 4+ questions in a row, dumb chit-chat, out-of-character dialog lines, SJW edginess and so on.

Story - A mess. The idea of a procedural generated storyline is not bad but the implementation is abysmal: A completely forgettable story bloated with forgettable characters. And the ending overwrites everything.

Combat - Absolute garbage. I have no idea what they tried to do. There are two things you have to do: (1) kill as many ranged units as fast as possible and (2) position a character with high armor in the middle of the enemies (and they will proceed to waste their hits on him).

That's because the initiative mechanic is retarded: you move then the AI moves and so on. However the real turns mean that you have to move all your units in the first turn and the second turn starts only after you finished doing actions with all of your characters. Because of this you can exploit the order or the actions: one character can end the active turn and start the next one which means that it gets two actions in a row. Also let's say you have 4 people in your party and you start your fight with the armored guy, the AI will waste 4 turns on that character and then another 3 turns if you don't move him until the second turn must end ... this means that sometimes you had 6 free actions to decimate the mobs.

The game rewards you if you use as few characters are possible and that's why it's better to fight with as few high-damage characters as possible. For example: if you play 6 vs 6 and you kill 5 of your opponents then the last enemy will decimate your group because it will hit after every move you make. I recommend to only use 2-3 fighters (max 4).

I don't know if I managed to describe properly how bad the combat is but let's say it's a complete boring clusterfuck: no tactics, no challenge, just spam abilities in the same order for a couple of hours.

Design - Mediocre. You have to grind for XP therefore it's better to always fight. It was infuriating that in the beginning you were always under-leveled compared to the mobs even if you get as much XP as possible however it doesn't matter by the end because the game will shower you with XP. I did like the overall map but then I realized that you cannot freely explore (cause you are limited by the resources and the available paths). Fuck it.

Graphics - They are good. Probably the only good thing about this game. All females are drawn as sluts and even the older ones are dressed like edgy teenagers. I assume that the graphic artists were used to draw hentai or are Thief 4 fans. the same face.

Bottom line: A mediocre experience at best but shit most of the time. I don't recommended it to anyone. Nope, it's not good enough even as a beginner's effort. This game doesn't offer anything except Banner Saga's visuals. That's it.
    I just played it because I wanted something with turn-based combat ... but I did not expect something worse than Banner Saga. I mean how the fuck can you take a charming game with bad combat and make it worse !? You need special skills for this kind of bullshit.

I do want to say one last thing: This type of game with trimmed dialogs and overhauled combat mechanics could be good. But Ash of Gods just ain't that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    I see what you did there and I aint falling for it. The devs dont sound like that type of people at all.

Screenshot or it didnt happen.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    I mean, most of them are pretty. Several of the playable female companions are in fact prostitutes who are on the run from the law.

^ Top  
  18. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    And dress full cloth, sure.

The artists can draw many things but "hentai" is not one topic I see them did it with any seriousness.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    I uninstalled the game. Check Steam screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The backstory is that all 4 were monastery harlots. Has your interest risen? :)

• incline incline x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. toro Arcane

toro
    Yeah. Poor choice of word from my part.

^ Top  
  21. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Nope, my interest remains quiet. They are not enough to rouse it.

But I will agree that these 3 pictures can be quite useful in marketing ploys to lure in unsuspecting players.

Provided that they know how to do it, of course. This is a big threshold to pass. "My game and my principles are too high brows for me to lower to the level of luring unsuspecting players into playing my game" is a big bone in their throats, I suspect.

But such is the point of marketing people.
    I am so sorry to bring bad news to the two clearly avid fans of this game but nobody remember this and this should illustrate really well why.

Torment is THE exception to this type of marketing.

That's not to say you can not use a man's face as the game's main image, but it should be something, well, other than a scarred face, an empty-eye face, or screaming man face.

It's just not done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. baud Learned

baud
    Oh I agree with you, the main image of either PST or this game are bad, with this one being way worse. I just posted it because ERYFKRAD used the wrong link in his picture.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    The stupidest thing about this game's cover is that that dude has no real relation to the plot. Like, he shows at the start to intimidate you and that's it. Could've cut him out of the story without losing pretty much anything.

^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    I haven't even played this game. No mention of ugly covers is complete without it however.

^ Top  
  25. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Lo Pheng reminded me a lot of Kai from Lexx (in look, personality and power)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near the end and going to write a review soon

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)