Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ash of Gods: Redemption - Banner Saga-like with CCG elements

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"rogue-like storytelling"
Can someone explain what this means? Does this mean you get a short message at the beginning of the game saying you need to find the Amulet of Zin and there is little other story content for the rest of the game?

Parabalus

Arcane
Its still have this similar to Banner Saga(as far as I remember - so not that well) retarded combat system where last enemy get multiple moves until your whole team moved.
So your team have like 4 men - turn movement.
Your man(1)-last enemy-your man(2)-last enemy-Your man(3)-last enemy-your man(4)-last enemy and now you can choose again from your men.
So in short last enemy get 4 moves when your guys each get one in the big turn.
I am retarded(always a option) or there is something more to this?
Also did first arc of the captain story(get to the menhir) and after fight on the bridge(sadly you can't see place of battle before choosing team) one of my guy dies(and he wasn't even in the battle????) as a result.
Overall.
Like the style and graphics. Writings is somewhat off but can't pinpoint what exactly -kind of stiff.
Open map and travel is fine - combat system(duality of health and energy etc) looks decent but turn system completely retarded.
Agreed, it improves on Banner Saga, but the initiative remains too nonsensical for my tastes.

To me it seems way worse than Banner Saga, since here enemy damage isn't tied to health, so it's much easier for a last remaining enemy to run amok, there isn't even the Pillage! when only one remains.
TBS at least had the gimmick/gameplay of weakening enemies instead of killing them, this doesn't, so no idea why they decided on this variant.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To me it seems way worse than Banner Saga, since here enemy damage isn't tied to health, so it's much easier for a last remaining enemy to run amok, there isn't even the Pillage! when only one remains.
TBS at least had the gimmick/gameplay of weakening enemies instead of killing them, this doesn't, so no idea why they decided on this variant.
It is true, but the health>>stronger attack gimmick works more or less the same, as you cannot use it on low health.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Also annoying is how random the order is.
It is not supposed to be: You can choose the order among your guys (you just need to move them all once before being allowed to move them again), and I suppose the AI is supposed to use a clever algorithm to choose its own order.

The game would be much better if you could at least decide to go to the next turn as soon as you moved as many guys as the AI.

This did not leave a good first impression. Granted I've only played for an hour or so before putting it down. Might give it another shot.

For one, the whole heroic "save the world against proper noun" thing is pretty tiresome and doesn't make much sense. The intro is absolutely ridiculous to the point of being unintentionally hilarious. Watching guys in white shirts (?) with a single shoulder pad (?!) essentially perform a rapechain of mortal kombat fatalities on hundreds of evil mooks was not only stupid but also stank of trying too hard to replicate the intro to the first Lord of the Rings movie. Then there is the Reaping itself (unsure if this is the correct name since I am playing the game in Russian) which took place so long ago that some people no longer believe in anything supernatural while these same people can quickly identify signs of the Reaping when it does occur.

Also, there is not enough explanation given to what the Reaping is given that it is possibly the most important, repeated event that happened to this world. Normally you get some sort of basic explanation for a plot device that is later elaborated on or deconstructed, but the game scarcely does that. Who are the weird pale bois? What is the purpose of the Reaping besides killing a fuckton of people?

The characters are also really, really stupid and because of this I might not continue the game:

1. Thorn, a VETERAN CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD, doesn't realize that the erratic ringing of the town bell might mean that there is some trouble going on in the town. Instead he muses that the belltower's owner must have replaced the servant responsible and is perplexed that the lad is making so much noise in the middle of the day. Seriously, what the fuck?!

2. The seer in the prologue, Hopper's waifu, takes his dagger because she prophesied that he would kill her with it...except she should know (being a fucking seer and all) that for a prophesy to function, it must account the actions of the people aware of it. Meaning the predetermined outcome must have already adjusted for any attempt of people to interfere with it. This is required for predetermination to logically work yet for some reason she thinks she can change the outcome.

Finally, I confess have not played enough of the game to make a judgement on the combat but a few things bug me. First of all, the distinction between health and energy seems to make less sense than Banner Saga's equivalents because both health AND energy are consumed by abilities (as opposed to just the latter, which would at least make more sense fictionally if not mechanically). When you drain the enemy's energy, you deal double damage to their health, but perplexingly enough the game still gives you the option to attack their health, as if dealing 0.5x damage is something you would ever consciously choose to do. Then there are combat cards you can play once per battle. The issue is that the enemy has access to some of these cards too, and they are never something you can account for or predict especially on your try. One of your characters might suddenly lose half of their health thanks to a card that the enemy played. The initiative system feels flawed as others have pointed out but again I have not played enough of the game to be confident in criticizing it.

The first hour just feels very messy to be honest. Its like they took the basics of Banner Saga combat but made changes to it that makes the combat system feel weird and not quite right. The story alternates between being high fantasy Lord of the Rings, a more grounded/edgy low fantasy, and an exercise in idiocy as characters who should really know better do or say stupid things. Once again, I could be completely wrong and it could turn into gold after 90 minutes, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Played little longer.
Writings is definitely off. Thing is some of the characters are not human and them speaking in this sort of way is actually pretty fitting. I wonder if it was done intentional or just I am imagining things. Still neat.
On the other hand human characters are rather weak. Not a big fan of it. Also not big fan of stronk womyn and diversity(some vibes that I get and do not like) and western morality. It may be just me but some moral choices feel off. But feeling off its actually rather common in this game.
Anyway plot actually is starting to be interesting and all lack of info play a role in it. Even that hilarious intro get sense.
The guys from intro umbra are body jumping not humans and have connection with the reapers and it looks like they both play the same game
. You need to gather all of it by yourself and look for bits of information. Dunno how it would develop.
Hope it would not suck in the end.

Combat initiative system is still weird and not good but have storytelling uses. Still not big of fan.
Also run out of strixes and probably ending current run soon. It doesn't look like there is a way to gather or buy some when needed and when you lack them your troops suffer wounds.
Less troops - better.
But art is nice and plot looks interesting.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Played little longer.
Writings is definitely off. Thing is some of the characters are not human and them speaking in this sort of way is actually pretty fitting. I wonder if it was done intentional or just I am imagining things. Still neat.
On the other hand human characters are rather weak. Not a big fan of it. Also not big fan of stronk womyn and diversity(some vibes that I get and do not like) and western morality. It may be just me but some moral choices feel off. But feeling off its actually rather common in this game.
Anyway plot actually is starting to be interesting and all lack of info play a role in it. Even that hilarious intro get sense.
The guys from intro umbra are body jumping not humans and have connection with the reapers and it looks like they both play the same game
. You need to gather all of it by yourself and look for bits of information. Dunno how it would develop.
Hope it would not suck in the end.

Combat initiative system is still weird and not good but have storytelling uses. Still not big of fan.
Also run out of strixes and probably ending current run soon. It doesn't look like there is a way to gather or buy some when needed and when you lack them your troops suffer wounds.
Less troops - better.
But art is nice and plot looks interesting.

You can buy more as soon as you get to the second waystone. You are probably very close.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is not supposed to be: You can choose the order among your guys (you just need to move them all once before being allowed to move them again), and I suppose the AI is supposed to use a clever algorithm to choose its own order.

The game would be much better if you could at least decide to go to the next turn as soon as you moved as many guys as the AI.
I am well aware of the combat system,i have problem with the randomness of the enemies. There is a lot of weak character getting gangbanged. Seeing your spearman or assassin getting fucked by two turns of singling out is not cool when you can't do anything about it. This game does need medium difficulty.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

I am well aware of the combat system,i have problem with the randomness of the enemies. There is a lot of weak character getting gangbanged. Seeing your spearman or assassin getting fucked by two turns of singling out is not cool when you can't do anything about it. This game does need medium difficulty.

Those are not frontline fighters and they can hit enemies from a short distance—keep them behind someone with a lot more health. If you put them in a position where they can be attacked, they’re going to get killed very quickly. That’s how it should work.

When you start facing harder enemies like magicians that can one-shot your weaker characters, you need to take them out with your archers immediately or you will take casualties.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Those are not frontline fighters and they can hit enemies from a short distance—keep them behind someone with a lot more health. If you put them in a position where they can be attacked, they’re going to get killed very quickly. That’s how it should work.

When you start facing harder enemies like magicians that can one-shot your weaker characters, you need to take them out with your archers immediately or you will take casualties.
:roll: It is not my first game mate. The problem is that they are pretty useless behind the wall,you have to take them out and use them to do damage,preferably after the archers and the tanks,still they get hacked to pieces because they can't mode for a few turns. Spearman archers are good.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
:roll: It is not my first game mate. The problem is that they are pretty useless behind the wall,you have to take them out and use them to do damage,preferably after the archers and the tanks,still they get hacked to pieces because they can't mode for a few turns. Spearman archers are good.

They can hit enemies two spaces away even before they're upgraded so they can do plenty of good in the second row. They deal much more damage than the tanks; they need to be softer targets or they would be super unbalanced.

If you insist on putting them in danger, it's easy to give them two turns in a row. Just move your spearman/assassin last in the first round then move him first in the second round.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Combat is stupid.

Take a warrior, give him 10 Armor and watch all opponents take turns doing 0 damage on him (because he keeps the armor if he doesn't move).

Balor

Arcane
Combat is stupid.

Take a warrior, give him 10 Armor and watch all opponents take turns doing 0 damage on him (because he keeps the armor if he doesn't move).

Not combat, per se, AI. Sometimes they do really stupid things.

Balor

Arcane
Besides AI behaving strangely sometimes, I've noticed nothing of the sort, and I'm enjoying the story at least... except English translation seems a bit wonky, and Russian narrator is atrocious. :(
Load times might require some optimization as well - the game is installed on SSD but load times are considerable - 5-10 seconds.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Combat is stupid.

So the AI is retarded, but you rage quit in frustration—referenced in the other thread—because it’s too difficult???

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this or Battle Brothers//

which one do I pick

EDIT: or third option Banner Saga as Ive never played it either. Im in the mood to support some indie on the cheap.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

which one do I pick

EDIT: or third option Banner Saga as Ive never played it either. Im in the mood to support some indie on the cheap.
Banner Saga,Battle brothers is good but it gets old fast and there is not much of a story. Banner saga is the only one of the three that i managed to finish and have fun doing it.

Ninjerk

Arcane

which one do I pick

You might still be able to play the free Banner Saga multiplayer release. They released it while the first game was still in development to allow people to get used to the combat (it had some connectivity issues, but I had loads of fun, otherwise).

Eddard Stark

Educated
First impression: gorgeous art and wonderful music coupled with the most atrocious, mind-boggling horrible dialogues ever written. It's as bad in Russian, the translation is not the culprit here.

Sneaky Seal, how you guys thought the writing is fine, is beyond me.
If you're considering doing an enhanced edition in the future, rewrite the dialogues, or at least tweak the heck out of them. The outline of the story and worldbuilding seem ok, but reading the actual lines is painful.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Perhaps they can take another look at the ending while they are at it. The story makes no sense from begaining to end. Nothing is solved and you don't even discover the fate of your heros in an epilogue because there is none. Just a strange scene and then cut to credits. Cut corners all around and a rushed product.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

which one do I pick

BB has much better combat. The other two have a better art direction, have more emphasis on COYA elements, and have a story, while BB is really focused on the combat (you roam the land, grinding encounters to improve your company).

I prefered BB, but I am a combatfag. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for.

Ninjerk

Arcane
BB combat was loads of fun, but it's fun in the way a slot machine is fun whereas Banner Saga combat is almost wholly deterministic (the exception being when a unit's health, and therefore attack, are exceeded by their target's armor value).

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

which one do I pick

None.
Banner saga and Ashes have both retarded combat(and its terrible game) when BB is grindy and shallow(and its utterly disappointing when you know its better).

You better grab Starsector or Eador Genesis a fine example of superior Russian games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom