Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ash of Gods Release Thread

Discussion in 'Ash of Gods' started by Infinitron, Mar 23, 2018.

1. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    Lesson learned: don't trust hipsters in New York and London to do translations. Since their level of effort appears to be equal to what google translate will do.

^ Top  
  2. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    It's too bad. I had suggested to them that they work with some Codex folks to localize the game, and I had thought it was going to go forward, but apparently not.

^ Top  
  3. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    If those "english speaking" translators are really claiming that the translation is correct but a different "literary preference" then payment should be withheld. They produced english suitable for a machine-learning algorithm, not a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Lets be honest here,they just used the google translate and that is all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    A translator friend is always telling me about jobs he gets where he has to clean up after such "prestigious" translators have done Google-translate quality work. It's fascinating -- even if you assume the client can't judge the quality, you'd think that second-hand reactions would be sufficient to annoy the client and cause the translator to earn a bad reputation. But it appears not.

^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Rebranding is an easy thing,you can just go bankrupt and the remake the company with another name and under another owner.

^ Top  
  7. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Parrots:
    Don't fret! Russian voice acting is REALLY horrible, so they get to suffer as well.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. HoboForEternity Arcane Patron

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    finally finished the game. i quite like it.

pros:

- the overalll system. it's better than banner saga, and quite more complex but still similar. i like the combat better
    - music oh so good 10/10
    - art and animation are pretty damn good too.
    - i like the story and overall world/setting. it is just a bit harder to grasp because any character bearing important information can just die or you simply pick the wrong conversation topic

cons:
    - turn initiative system. another one of those " give equal amount of moves even if it is 5 against one " sure it seems balances hopper's fights out because he only fight alone, but hopper dont really need it and surely makes chipping off enemy number seems worthless. it's just a straight bad system despite the other parts of the game are pretty damn good

now to the spoilery stuff

Show Spoiler
    in my run i managed to keep almost everyone alive, and have decent understanding of the world / setting and story. it basically take place in a multiverse of some sort, in which world are separated by a dimension barrier called the misty veil or something. the world we play in is terminum, a world which alot more mundade/less magical than the other. this other world is the enses and umbra's world. this world, i assume is very magical and ruled by gods or just really some powerful beings worshipped as gods, they have, collectively a spiritual lifeform called umbra to be their servant, while the ordinary people in their world aka the mortals are just the enses. one day one of this god gone rogue or just being a colossal dickhead he waged war against the world and destroyed it for whatever reason. the other gods for some reason didnt see it coming or simply outpowered by this one particular god and failed to save the world, but using their remaining strength, proceed to evacuate the people and the umbras into terminum, planted the menhir as a guidepost / power source for the umbras and enses. the rest of the gods died shortly after that, but the dick god remains alive, however stripped out of their energy and strength and lies in a coma like state as a spirit like the umbra when they died.

years after, some of the enses tribe was frozen in a cyro-sleep like state in a vaults hidden underneath menhirs on terminum, some was set free and mingle with the people of terminum so are the umbras. some of the umbras like hopper and his friends choose to live among the mortals, some eventually breed with the mortals of terminus even establish tribes of their own. one day, the sleeping god awoken from his slumber, with even a slight power he was able to manipulate some of the umbra, took their will and turn them into reapers. the first reaping happened (technically the second reaping that has happened, the first one is the one that happened in the original umbra's world. the reapers in turn, is an extension of the dick god's will and able to subjugate mortal's mind. his aim is to resurrect himself in a host. a host created by intermingling of umbras and humans. as far as i gather, an hybrid can be a host and they hold certain power to resist the reaper's mind control. gleda, reet, and breet or whatever his name is one of those.

during the first terminum reaping, 12 lower umbra took stand to fight against 5 reapers which are mind controlled 5 higher umbras. on the battlefield the 12 lower umbras sacrificed themselves to create explosions that wcan destroy the reapers. however, with one bad stroke of luck, the 12th umbra failed to do his job as arrows struck his chest and incapacitates his mortal body before he did the deed. that killed some reapers but not all. the surviving reapers retreated and 700 years later they came back to finish the job.

hopper and several other surviving umbras just kept living as they goes until the second reaping happened. the enses awaken from their cyro sleep and immediately controlled by the mind control effect and rush to menhirs and corrupt them, in order to draw the potential hosts, people with the thickest of umbra blood into one place. the dead menhir so the god can take over the host's body and revive in full strength.

depending on your choices, the god can be sealed within amma (which i failed to do) or inhabit one of the host's body. imy game ended with chilla's roaming the wasteland after the dick god got gleda and turn the surrounding land of opacum into wasteland, with a black sphere in the middle.

my question is who the hell is chilla since she seems to be alot stronger in sorcery and more knowledgeable than hoppers and the other umbra. she helped hopper by hinting him towards certain goals and imbued him with the black curse so he have the choice to surpress the reaping and make it easier.

secondly, what is the evil god's motivation in doing all of these? just gaining more power? simple cruelty and moustache's twirling evilness?

Sneaky Seal

i will play it a second playtrough and try to solve the riddle this time, but can you explain the part of the story i dont understand? will the "good ending" explain the god's motivation and who chilla is ?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    New update.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kaivokz Savant

Kaivokz
    Parrots:
    Game seems pretty awesome so far. Biggest critique is definitely the odd sounding, sometimes dry, writing. It's always sad to read something interesting when it's obvious that stuff was lost in translation. The world and characters all SEEM interesting, but the writing doesn't sell it. The world can get away with it more, as dry prose is a more acceptable method for conveying historic or natural facts. But, it really sticks out in some of the dialogue. It helps to pretend they're all speaking a different language and you have some sort of translator-chip implanted in your brain...

edit- I'm only in the first chapter, so I'll see how their localization changes seem for the other chapters.

^ Top  
  11. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Parrots:
    This had gone completely under my radar. Ironically, the game having its own sub-forum probably didn't help. However, it looks good and I'm looking for something to scratch my turn-based itch (which Battletech failed to do) so here we goooo

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Kaivokz Savant

Kaivokz
    Parrots:
    Some thoughts after playing a bit more.

Pros:
    -The art and music are beautiful.
    -The world is interesting and general plot serviceable to explore the characters.
    -The three protagonists have different perspectives on the events of the game, which makes the world feel detailed and expansive.
    -The resource management is sufficiently challenging.

Cons:
    -The combat initiative system is poorly designed. You alternate moving one unit each no matter how many units are on the field & must use each of your units once before any can be used a second time. I think it could have easily been fixed by alternating turns until everyone had taken a turn, and then starting a new round. The current system leads to a number of counter-intuitive/un-fun scenarios. Combat often feels most dangerous when there is only one enemy remaining, because they get to go over and over until they die (usually hitting the same person repeatedly, while you can only move that wounded unit once every 6 'turns'). It leads to the optimal solution often being to weaken everyone, or get it down to 2-3 weak enemies, so they can all be finished off at once. There are also situations like: 6v6, you've moved four of your guys and eliminated two of theirs, they've moved four of theirs and have taken none of yours, so their units all refresh but you still need to move your remaining two before you can access your other four. This often makes it so that the four enemies who just refreshed start ganging up on one of your units who have already moved.
    -The writing is still weird sometimes in chapter 2-3 (I'm at the end of chapter 3, currently), and it's hard to tell if it's a problem with the source material or with the translation. Some things seem out of order (characters forget things they just learned) and sometimes the replies you can choose don't really make sense in context. I find myself asking: Why are these my options? What do they have to do with what was just said? Furthermore, there's a transparency problem; your character says exactly what is written, but it sometimes provokes an odd reaction which makes it feel like what was written wasn't what you chose to say.

I'd also echo that this game having its own sub-forum limits its exposure on the codex.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    GameBanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/120505-ash-of-gods-redemption-review/all-pages.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bara Literate

Bara
    Parrots:
    Just got through the game. Looking forward to playing through it again once those updated translations come through.

I still hate round robin turn order systems with a passion but the way Ash did it was tolerable enough. I'll take the predictability of what happens when one opponent is left alive over the shenanigans that happened with DOS2's system.

^ Top  
  15. faqqa Educated

faqqa
    Parrots:
    I've been following this game since the early announcements, and I could never understand what the fuck was going on with the blatant obvious "inspiration" they got from Banner Saga. From reading this forum, I'm clearly not the only one.

I mean, it always amazed me that there was so much high level production value associated with something that, regardless of its own merits, will ALWAYS be thought of as derivative. At best, people who know of Banner Saga will see it as a homage, at worst they will think Ash of the Gods as an unimaginative and uninspired copy of a successful game.

There is no denying that the art assets seem beautiful, and by no means I'm saying Banner Saga is the only production allowed to have this kind of art direction, but there are just too many similarities, aren't they? At least at first glance(which is what matters most, at least in marketing). There's even a father/daughter dynamic, if I recall correctly.

Now, that being said, the reception of the game itself(and not people's first impressions of it) seem quite nice, and as a customer I would be very interest in playing this, but this whole "the translation is shit" thing really bothers me. Is it that bad? Isn't there nothing that can be done about it?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I hear the translation has been revised since release.

^ Top  
  17. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    I think it's WiP still with some of the earlier chapters getting another pass. Although what really confuses me is devs working on MP patches at the same time. I guess there's an audience there or something unlike Banner Saga's Factions mode.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/691690/announcements/detail/1642004416602117023

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Or perhaps it's not the same dev working on the translation and on the multiplayer.

^ Top  
  19. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    So, how is the translation now? When I first tried it the story was near incomprehensible at times. Which really jarred with the rest of the overall excellent presentation. Any progress made?

^ Top  
  20. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Parrots:
    Decided to give it a shot, out of curiosity, and I have mixed feelings. I like the character's design, contrary to what others claimed I haven't seen many signs of SJW'ism up to the third chapter (except women with swords, but it's fantasy, so let it be); they're relatable and quite interesting despite completely atrocious writing. At first I thought that maybe my reading comprehension is failing and I'm receding in my abilities, but after reading the thread I confirm what others wrote, the story arcs are sometimes incomprehensible and full of holes. In the prologue, a guy (who looked similar to one of these anime-like swordsmen from the intro) comes to the mountain place to speak to the seer. Instead, he meets a woman that he recognized as his loved one he though that died. Instead of some natural, more emotional reaction the guy acts like a robot and first thing he says is "that's not my name anymore, call me Hopper because I like it more". I don't think it was intended as a characte presentation - if so, it fails completely, because after that scene I know even less than previously, and it does a bad job in making the characters' goals and personalities clear. It's hard to rate the storyline in general because I'm having extremely hard time following it. There's no place to read about history, no time table with dates and events, it all becomes a blur when I try to put the pieces together. People speak of things I don't know the meaning of, I don't know what they refer to and there's nowhere to look it up. And I don't mean PoE-style lore dumps, simple dictionary would suffice.
    Combat is another thing. I find it flawed, and hard to get accustomed to, because advantage in numbers means absolutely nothing in this game; a regular enemy will be able to smash several of your party members just because he's on his own. I'm playin on iron man, so maybe it's less aggravating on normal difficulty. Nonetheless, it's challenging and requires tactical planning. I really enjoyed the Chapter 2 combat as one character against many enemies, figuring out the pattern that enemy uses and developing a strategy felt great and was satisfying to win. So, I'm willing to give it a chance despite atrocious narrative - if developers still frequent the Codex, in my opinion rewriting all of the storytelling and dialogues in this game should be top priority.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    :prosper:
    I have seen this retarded post pop on a lot of games when someone ask about sjw. You are becoming annoying retard! At least try to diversify the fucking post.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Wait... Are you an SJW now?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Fuck no! Just that the SJW like maxie are not diverse enough ;). With their stones onto their heads i say.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Drop dead you cuck! no wonder your woman is cheating on you.

^ Top  
  25. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Parrots:
    I continue the game; I had some troubles with the battle under the double menhir, the enses are ridiculously difficult to fight. One of them has an ability dealing flat 24 damage with no cooldown and with no health cost for the attacker (as many weaker abilities do). Too overpowered, also considering that
    Show Spoiler
    one of the allies goes insane at this spot, and it happened to be the one I leveled up.

Also, the band of feminists that join Lo Pheng in another chapter gave me major cringe. Their writing is atrocious, none of them has any merits or interesting personality, their only purpose is to display "gurl power" in bold letters. What underlines that fact is that they're a liability in combat, Lo Pheng is much more capable on his own, and fighting alone gives him more experience.

^ Top  
  26. Daniel Pacheco Novice

Daniel Pacheco
    Parrots:
    I was following this game since its kickstarter but I los the track of the game and I just see that has been released in Q1.

Does anyone recomend me the game then?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)