Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ashen - a new Souls-like

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by cvv, Dec 7, 2018.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    So apparently the new Epic Games store is open right now and they have some exclusives. Ashen looks like a Souls-like with hipster art style. The mechanics, chardev and itemization looks very good tho. Someone buy it and tell me what's what.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ashen/home

• hopw roewur ne x 7
    • Interesting x 3
    • Shit x 2
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    15 years ago every other RPG was a Diablo-clone, now it's a Souls-clone. Yawn.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fork Savant

fork
    If only there were some good ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Depends on your expectation. Every Souls-like gets obviously compared to Souls and - obviously - falls short. But some of them - Lords of the Fallen, Surge, Darksiders 3 - are fun games on their own merit.

I for one had a huge blast with LotF and can't wait for my second playthrough. I rate both Surge and Darksiders 3 much lower, p. much everything about them except the combat sucks...but the combat in both is so good they held my attention until the end.

Similarly if Ashen turns out to be at least average, I'll give it a shot. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Souls-likes.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. SpoilVictor Educated

SpoilVictor
    Exactly. Will they ever learn that one does not simply takes some indie studio, gives them like 1/100th of Dark Souls budget and make a clone.

My educated guess: it will come out at some point, a few dudes will review it saying it has interesting bits, everyone will forget it or miss it, end of story.

Hope I'm wrong but that's how it will be.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. fork Savant

fork
    Yeah, I played The Surge and it was good, just not what I wanted from a Souls-clone, so I didn't even bother with LotF, since it looks worse imo. Darksiders doesn't interest me at all, neither does Ashen. Code Vein also looks mediocre at best. Then there is utter shit like Immortal: Unchained, lel. Maybe Hellpoint will be worth playing?
    I think my problem is that I expect a Souls-clone to build on the strenghts of Souls, which for me are a dark, depressing atmosphere, interconnected imaginative level design, good character customisation, good difficult combat encounters and environmental storytelling (i.e. not cinematic/narrative).
    Well, I guess it's a once in a lifetime game, so I don't have much hope. None, in fact. :D

^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Just try LotF for a bit. As a huge Souls-fan I held off on that for a long time too, after all the bad reviews and rap, but it's probably the closest to the Souls experience of all the clones you can find.

Again - you can approach it with the expectation "I want it to be like Souls but better" and then proceed to bash every aspect of it that's worse than Souls. Or you can say "I expect it to be bad" and then be surprised by all the ways the game is actually fun and well thought out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fork Savant

fork
    Yeah, I'll probably try LotF sooner or later, should be worth getting in a sale.
    Still, just like so many other (even older) classics, I find it puzzling that Dark Souls will probably never be surpassed.

^ Top  
  9. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    You can find LotF keys on G2A or elsewhere for like 2-3 bucks. It's a no brainer imo.

And yeah, no idea why making a decent Souls-clone is so hard. Nobody is even asking for that unique art or narrative style, I think everyone would be perfectly fine with just great combat, itemization, build variety and level design. That should be more than doable, goddamit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. SpoilVictor Educated

SpoilVictor
    I couldn't agree more. Especially when only original Dark Souls did it for me.

I've bounced of LotF hard, but maybe 'cause I've chosen Daggers and it was so slow that even after dodge I couldn't safely land a hit. My brother went with 2H and had a blast.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Oh yeah, that's important - DON'T play a Rogue. Go with Warrior (or a Cleric).

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Once Dark Souls 4 releases and is utter shit, shortly followed by a mobile-Souls, we will have come full circle and the next cycle can begin.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Villagkouras Savant

Villagkouras
    It's difficult to make a souls clone because most devs want to make an action game, not a dungeon crawler.

I see the reviews of this are fine.

^ Top  
  14. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    give your personal information to the chinese government, breh

• Racist Racist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Examina's better.

• Yes Yes x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Skdursh Educated

Skdursh
    Did Ashen just get released or something? I heard about this game being in development like a year ago and bookmarked it to check back to see what progress, if any, was made.

Edit: I just checked Steam and it still says a release date is TBA. So is the game released on Epic or is it just a pre-order? In any case, there isn't a fucking chance in hell that I'm signing up with Epic or any of the other Steam clones. Put it on Steam or GOG or fuck off.

^ Top  
  17. deama Savant

deama
    I might give this a go, looks kinda dull though, it's as if they ripped off dark souls mechanic by mechanic and didn't really try to change it up much.
    They could have at least tried to vary the combat a bit, like maybe mix up dark souls with severance blade of darkness' combat.

^ Top  
  18. sorinmask Novice Patron

sorinmask
    I don't know... Dark Souls is more than just stamina management. If it was just stamina management everyone could do it.

(Apparently) Simple elements like parry/ripose or plunge attack make a huge difference.
    Move sets too.

I didn't see any attention to detail in that regard, but maybe I'm just being picky.

Also the very fact that the game has a map tells me, albeit indirectly, that whoever designed this game has no confidence in their own design, as pertaining to areas being memorable.
    If that is not the case and I am wrong, it still is a dumbing down of the genre. One that I will not accept.

And straight up starting with a companion feels a bit pandering. One of the ideas behind the souls games were the moment of triumph against adversity (no matter the shape of which that happened), most of the time - alone - without the crutch of "a helping hand".
    The video is weird to me, if I look at this as a souls-like. It feels more of a Soul Reaver-like, I guess. Where Raziel can wear a shield.

Anyway, maybe at the end of the day I'm just a grouch and a purist. Who knows? This game might be just as amazing...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Wunderbar Savant

Wunderbar
    Ashen looks like multiplayer game with focus on pve rather than singleplayer game with optional multiplayer element.

^ Top  
  20. Background Character Learned

Background Character
    Nowadays anything can be Souls-like. Come by my bathroom later when I will take a huge Souls-like dump

• Shit Shit x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Siveon Black Mage Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I thought Lords of the Fallen and Surge played like absolute slime. Literally, slow as hell. Wasn't fun at all really. Best one is probably Nioh, that actually had combat that didn't hurt me.

Might take a look at Soul & Sanctuary or Nioh. Although Nioh isn't depressing per se.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. RapineDel Learned

RapineDel
    Lords of the Fallen is absolute shit and if anything showed that From Software are talented and that it isn't a formula anyone can just copy and cash in on. Haven't played the Surge but LotF was poor enough that it'll be a long time before I bother having a look.

Salt and Sanctuary is fairly good from what I've played however, from memory it's a passionate husband and wife team and it's a good cross between Souls and Castlevania. Nioh has good combat but the world and level design is pretty bare bones.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. toro Arcane

toro
    Release date on Steam was 2018 but got changed to TBD and the developers tweeted that the game is exclusive to the EPIC store.

Now the tweet was deleted: https://twitter.com/A44games/status/1070892596967309313

Fuck'em.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Siveon Black Mage Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Oh yeah Ska Studios is great. They made very fun games, mostly with a ton of just earnest edge that I can appreciate. Helps that the gameplay is genuinely good too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. TheImplodingVoice Educated

TheImplodingVoice
    Exclusive to Epic store? Won't get it because don't want my info given the Epic's chink overlords. But the game itself looks reasonably okayish

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)