Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Elsewhere Plato does condemn homosexuality, so no, people were not all OK with it, but it's pretty clear that it's a thing that went on

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That video is fucking retarded though and Ubisoft is full of dipshits who don't know about history so whatever, I'm sure the rest of the game is all bullshit too

I remember someone showed me a part from Origins in the "educational "commentary thing where they explain that women wouldn't be allowed to study in such a place at that time but they added them for diversity. like what the hell is the point then? doesn't make sense for historicity and doesn't make sense for social justice because they immediate explain, no, this is lies, this is fiction we made up. just present reality, egypt is interesting, fucking twats

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
expecting a game dev to be knowledgeable about history when most can't even string together a competent dialog tree lmao

DeepOcean

Arcane
That video is fucking retarded though and Ubisoft is full of dipshits who don't know about history so whatever, I'm sure the rest of the game is all bullshit too

I remember someone showed me a part from Origins in the "educational "commentary thing where they explain that women wouldn't be allowed to study in such a place at that time but they added them for diversity. like what the hell is the point then? doesn't make sense for historicity and doesn't make sense for social justice because they immediate explain, no, this is lies, this is fiction we made up. just present reality, egypt is interesting, fucking twats
I find this idea of falsifying the past really dishonest too, if they shown the real Greece like it was that time (Women are to make babies and shut up.) and democracy was only for those of the elite with most of the working class being slaves, you know, the horror of realizing that slavery having nothing to do with race and being more of a question of opportunity where on the ancient world, white europeans were pretty willing of slaving other white europeans.

If they show the truth, retarded people on the left would flip out seeing that maybe denouncing and wanting to destroy the western world isn't such a great idea when what existed before wasn't exactly a paradise of freedom and they are spoiled children complaining over turned milk when the west is a much better place for the working class and minorities than on past ages. On greece, imagine if you were condemned by God of being born a slave under Sparta rule, compare such a person torment with fat people with six children under welfare whining that their lives are really though and people are oppressing them. It would be very enlightening to take modern activists on a time machine and make them slaves under Sparta rule so they could experience at first hand the bullshitters they are and they know nothing what is to live in fear.

But what can you do? Ubisoft is too cowardly to do such a thing, much better to falsify history with rainbows of gender ideology. If Kassandra entered on a boat full of greek mariners pretending to lead them, lets say things would get a little rapey pretty quickly.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Started AC:Odyssey. First impressions.

Brawling is a bit better than in Origins. It's not all made dodging and stabbing, there's a bit of tactical stuff to it too. I practiced on the first merc that's hunting you and got better at it. Mad dodging and stabbing works too though. I'm using a spear and it actually looks like somebody fighting with a spear -- jabbing with it to keep the other guy at a distance; in Origins Bayek swung wildly with it which looked really dumb.

Chatter sounds better. Almost as if they got native Greek speakers to do it this time.

The scenery makes me want to go swim in the Mediterranean so bad it's not even funny. We had a really good vacation in Croatia early in 2017 and I want to do it all over again.

The rest is seriously meh. I'm playing as Kassandra (because it's a third-person brawler, whose ass do you want to look at for 40 hours or more?) and it is seriously jarring that nobody acknowledges that it's the tiniest bit odd for a woman to be a mercenary. Major missed opportunity there -- if they want to make it possible to play as an Amazon then by gum the world should acknowledge how badass that is given the status women really had back then.

The way Spartans are portrayed is really dumb. They didn't have family lives like that. Also, where are all the helots? I know I ain't seen much yet but ancient Greece was a society based on slavery and I'd expect that to be visible even in a backwoods island like Kefalonia. I am disappoint given the attempt at verisimilitude that Origins had.

Naval combat was utter chaos. I suck at it of course because I haven't had any practice, but it was a giant game of clown cars with fiery arrows.

And then of course there's the cancerous level mechanics and the rest of the stuff that Origins also did really badly. I don't get (yet at least) how this is much more RPG than Origins -- there are occasional dialogue options but most of the significant ones seem to end in exactly the same place ("I'll accept the quest") while others are mostly just flavour, e.g. flirted with a NPC, then said something that pissed her off so she walk off; I presume that picking some other option might've resulted in some pixelated lesbian smooching.

All in all I'm already much less impressed by this than I was with Origins, despite the better brawling.

I only have 7h of playtime but the dialogue so far has been very "modern" as it uses too many modern words and proverbs that claw you right out the immersion. I remember Origin doing it much better. Also it's very goofy sometimes.

As a non-Greek-speaker, I much prefer fluently and naturally spoken modern Greek to badly-pronounced stilted Koiné Greek (or Coptic, or Latin), like in Origins. Especially as historical accuracy really doesn't appear to be a priority this time around.

Early choices are mostly just minor ones with barely any consequences. But later game has some more impact options for you to pick, both in major missions and in side missions. There is one choice early on that will lock out one of the solutions for another quest dozens of hours later.

Molina

Savant

I find this idea of falsifying the past really dishonest too, if they shown the real Greece like it was that time (Women are to make babies and shut up.) and democracy was only for those of the elite with most of the working class being slaves, you know, the horror of realizing that slavery having nothing to do with race and being more of a question of opportunity where on the ancient world, white europeans were pretty willing of slaving other white europeans.

If they show the truth, retarded people on the left would flip out seeing that maybe denouncing and wanting to destroy the western world isn't such a great idea when what existed before wasn't exactly a paradise of freedom and they are spoiled children complaining over turned milk when the west is a much better place for the working class and minorities than on past ages. On greece, imagine if you were condemned by God of being born a slave under Sparta rule, compare such a person torment with fat people with six children under welfare whining that their lives are really though and people are oppressing them. It would be very enlightening to take modern activists on a time machine and make them slaves under Sparta rule so they could experience at first hand the bullshitters they are and they know nothing what is to live in fear.

But what can you do? Ubisoft is too cowardly to do such a thing, much better to falsify history with rainbows of gender ideology. If Kassandra entered on a boat full of greek mariners pretending to lead them, lets say things would get a little rapey pretty quickly.
You should try to build a safe space, you seems very offended by a videogame,SWJ and their domination. It's ok, we totally understand. Maybe a good twitter war would do you any good?

Prime Junta

Thing about Kassandra is, it's a huge missed opportunity. In ancient Greece, gods were allowed to break any and all rules all the time. So all it would've taken to make a somewhat plausible Kassandra regarded with fear and awe by men and women alike is the Oracle of Delphi pronouncing that she is a daughter of Ares or chosen of Athena, Artemis, the Erinyes, or whatever, destined to slay armies of men and drench the world in blood. IOW your bog-standard Chosen One thing that would actually make sense in context.

But they didn't. It could've been a righteously furious feminist (moon-)blood drenched epic. Instead they took the easy, lazy option of erasing the incredibly nasty patriarchy that was Ancient Greece, right down to making the Spartans shout "for our daughters!"

Codex Year of the Donut
:negative:
Why don't we have a vomit rating!!!!

I can't watch this rape of ancient greek culture,they weren't a bunch of liberal faggots. Can't stand this modern propaganda and ravaging of history!!! Pox on all the ubisoft people and the fans of their games,may the most painful death get you!!!
the ancient greeks were insanely gay though
not much has changed

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So apparently there's a quest where a guy pays you for fucking his wife because he can't satisfy her.
E: forgot to mention that they're both old with grey hair for bonus degeneracy.

I think there's a basis for that. In Sparta, husbands who were unable to impregnate their wives would ask younger men to do it instead. Apparently sexuality in Sparta was rather free regarding mariage fidelity, but all in the goal of making strong and fit children.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I think there's a basis for that. In Sparta, husbands who were unable to impregnate their wives would ask younger men to do it instead. Apparently sexuality in Sparta was rather free regarding mariage fidelity, but all in the goal of making strong and fit children.

Just like modern day codexers :)

Prime Junta

Spartan women were baby-incubators and not a whole lot more. A man who loved his wife would be considered effeminate. It was like the ultimate dudebro jock culture except the dudebros also banged each other, in-between marching at enemies in tight, hot, sweaty, naked phalanxes.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The way Spartans are portrayed is really dumb. They didn't have family lives like that. Also, where are all the helots? I know I ain't seen much yet but ancient Greece was a society based on slavery and I'd expect that to be visible even in a backwoods island like Kefalonia. I am disappoint given the attempt at verisimilitude that Origins had.
Take into account that the classic Spartan society you've read about in school is how Sparta looked in classical period. That society collapsed at some point later on. The game takes place in Hellenic period. Not saying the portrayal in game is accurate (I wouldn't know, I haven't played it) but seeing a fifth century Sparta in game would be as inaccurate. Just something to remember.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So apparently there's a quest where a guy pays you for fucking his wife because he can't satisfy her.
E: forgot to mention that they're both old with grey hair for bonus degeneracy.

But not a random stranger, it had to be close relative often a brother or father.
As for homos, they were common and somewhat accepted thing ONLY in high society, never for common people. Also most common is for the aristocrat to have a boy with lower status, if they had same status it was illegal and punishable. In Athens that practice was prosecuted for example.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Thing about Kassandra is, it's a huge missed opportunity. In ancient Greece, gods were allowed to break any and all rules all the time. So all it would've taken to make a somewhat plausible Kassandra regarded with fear and awe by men and women alike is the Oracle of Delphi pronouncing that she is a daughter of Ares or chosen of Athena, Artemis, the Erinyes, or whatever, destined to slay armies of men and drench the world in blood. IOW your bog-standard Chosen One thing that would actually make sense in context.

But they didn't. It could've been a righteously furious feminist (moon-)blood drenched epic. Instead they took the easy, lazy option of erasing the incredibly nasty patriarchy that was Ancient Greece, right down to making the Spartans shout "for our daughters!"
Well, from what I've seen people half-jokingly, half-not consider you demi-god. Your ship ex-captain Barnabas says it all the time. You can also state that multiple times when people ask you for help.
Alexios and Kassandra are also considered extremely capable, beceause of their powerful blood (lineage), which in fact they have, as they got much of ISU genetics. They are literally Ubermensch.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Spartan women were baby-incubators and not a whole lot more. A man who loved his wife would be considered effeminate. It was like the ultimate dudebro jock culture except the dudebros also banged each other, in-between marching at enemies in tight, hot, sweaty, naked phalanxes.
From I remember from history books, Spartan women had more rights than other Greek women.
They could inherit (though not as much as their brothers), ruled the slaves & homes, and were also encouraged to physcial activity such as running etc.
But it's true they were gay as fuck.

Prime Junta

Well, from what I've seen people half-jokingly, half-not consider you demi-god. Your ship ex-captain Barnabas says it all the time. You can also state that multiple times when people ask you for help.

Exactly. Which is why it would have been such... a... small... step... to tie turn you into a heroic exception to the way women were expected to behave.

Seriously bros, this is the difference between pandering and seriously addressing an issue.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Review:

Statue's dong is too big, Greeks thought big dongs were ridiculous and only degenerates had big dicks + pleasuring women is dishonorable and you shouldn't care about anything women want.

Prime Junta

Review:

Statue's dong is too big, Greeks thought big dongs were ridiculous and only degenerates had big dicks + pleasuring women is dishonorable and you shouldn't care about anything women want.

This is true. I would expect small dicks were better suited for the kind of sex they did appreciate.

Edit: The uproar would've been glorious if they had implemented the historically authentic Spartan romance option though

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

the ancient greeks were insanely gay though
They weren't. Most Greek poleis outlawed sodomy. If anything, it was platonic love, not physical. Greek homosexuality is massively over-exaggerated.

Of course it was.
Erastes_eromenos_Staatliche_Antikensammlungen_1468.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom