Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Unity is indeed surprisingly great, especially after playing the trash that is Origins/Odyssey.

Phobos

Novice
I would like to try out Unity but can't find a decent torrent that has all the DLC and all the VO. I can find RU/EN versions but I want to play with EN subs and FR voices.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Get a repack instead. "Assassin's Creed Unity DODI repack" will find it.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Im on i7 haswell, 16gb ram and 1070ti running at 1080p on 144hz screen. All on Ultra except turning down the clouds that seem to choke the system. Getting 80-100 fps.

Performance is a bit worse than Origins eventho I find Origins better looking, especially fire and smoke effects.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
When Unity came out I long since had gotten tired of AC games. Did try it, but the game hardly ran on my pc back then so I uninstalled it and forgot about it. Later on I tried Syndicate, but didn’t really like it. Origins felt like a breath of fresh air and I once again loved it as a virtual tourist to ancient Egypt sim. It had a lot of problems, with level gating being the biggest one for me, but I did enjoy it for 20 or so hours before growing tired of it.

Odyssee seems like it keeps the level gating and bloated enemy HP completely intact. So, I decided to try Unity after hearing that it actually works quite well now that it is patched up. Lo and behold, to my own utter surprise I love it. The French revolution is a great setting that they used to good effect. The crowds are impressive and Paris simply looks and feels stunning. Good animations, the best implementation of the old fighting system and free running that works help. What I really like is how the game went back to basics. Assassinations are the core gameplay with lots of additions and filler for those who want it. Murder and parcour simply work and that’s what I want in an AC. Character development is there, and is based on skills that you unlock with experience. No bloated HP or level gating in sight. Bugs? There are still some, I lost a mission because an npc I followed turned back and got stuck for instance, but that’s the biggest one I saw.

So yeah, I’m actually amazed on how good Unity is. Perhaps the best implementation of the core AC gameplay yet. Shame it was obviously rushed out at the start and thus bombed. This game deserved much better.

As i said in another thread today about Neverwinter Nights 2 flop, sometimes a game can fail not because it is a bad game but because it is unoptimized and/or buggy at release. Sometimes the game just needs a beefy pc considering the hardware available to consumers at the time, and most people who install the game end up having a miserable experience. This was the case for Unity.

I agree it was not a bad game, i liked it. Although i liked Syndicate that followed more.

deama

Prophet
So how's the game on PC? Anyone played it and can give me info on fps and the specs?
Terrible. I am on a i7 6700k (@4.5Ghz), Rx Vega 64 and play on 3440x1440 with a mix of settings ranging from medium to high, CPU bottlenecked. I cannot get stable 60fps no matter what resolution I play, So I am forced to cap the framerate at half refresh rate or I will have wobbly stuttery shit because the game drops under my 40 fps freesync threshold.
Since the consoles run on DX12 but the PC game doesn't they translate the console commands (DX12 to PC DX11) and this creates massive CPU overhead. Btw, I just spent 30 minutes trying to find the presentation again but with no success, so if someone here has a link pls post it again and correct me if I am wrong. It was some Nvidia software enginner talking about DX12 or so.

Also the ingame fps cap is hot trash, use RTSS or force V-Sync via your GPU drivers software.
I'm playing it now at everything set to mostly low, capped at 60fps, and at 720p. Works fine so far, apart from the blurry 720p shit, and the fact that I can't use my sexy backlights cause it uses lots of CPU.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The first mistake is to assume that people who play Ubisoft games give a single fuck about history or authenticity. You need an IQ above 80 for that.

YldriE

Learned
I'm playing it now at everything set to mostly low, capped at 60fps, and at 720p. Works fine so far, apart from the blurry 720p shit, and the fact that I can't use my sexy backlights cause it uses lots of CPU.
I had the same problem in 1080p so it's not the 720p that is at fault. Always use ReShade and a sharpen filter, it makes a world of difference especially to reduce the blur of lower resolutions. Use FineSharp if you are not familiar with the program, you can simply tick boxes to adjust the intensity instead of messing with numbers.

turkishronin

Arcane
I saw my roommate the other day playing it. The level system was rather nice like you could choose skills as you level up pretty much like an RPG. But the problem was that it's too grindy. Like for example if your character is level 7 and the target is at level 15, you can't perform most takeout moves on him.

Phobos

Novice
Enemies that have red names (3+ levels above you) take MINUTES to kill and two shot you, or one shot if you manage to get poisoned or burned status from them.
Btw my go to weapons are daggers because they almost perma stunlock light and medium enemies while dealing a bazillion dmg and the heavy axe ignores shields and also stunlock enemies. Spears are okay, swords are just inferior to daggers in every way. The rest is too slow. Anyways after 45h I'm gonna quit this game, I finished both Origins DLC's in Summer and the burnout is too real.

deama

Prophet
I saw my roommate the other day playing it. The level system was rather nice like you could choose skills as you level up pretty much like an RPG. But the problem was that it's too grindy. Like for example if your character is level 7 and the target is at level 15, you can't perform most takeout moves on him.
Actually, it's even worse than that, you can't perform any takedowns on even a lvl 11 guy.

deama

Prophet
I was also wondering, I'm around lvl 12 and have started to get kinda bored of the story, I'm at the part where
you go into the oracle's house and ask her some questions, then go to herodotus and tell him what she told you, and then he tells you to do something.
Does the story get better? Cause I think I'll just crank up my xp multiplier and go adventuring cause the world seems pretty neat.

Quillon

Arcane
Got chased by cheetahs that were actually faster than my horse!

Did you forget to write the rest of your post, or did you not have a point?

Seems I forgot, sorry. The cheetahs were onto me, they were on both sides of my horse and we were all heading towards a cliff
Then what?

Then I turned towards the nearby military camp, went around its wooden wall and stopped, seeing the wild animals, spartans in the camp ran outside to attack them, I watched for a min with the eagle, nearby boars joining the fray etc. then I looted the empty camp and went on my way.

True story.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So the Steam Awards are on and one of the categories is the "Best Alternate History" award. Personally I nominated Odyssey and I suggest you do the same. Unless you think the idea of the ancient Greece where half of the soldiers and mercenaries are women isn't award worthy.

Quillon

Arcane
I couldn't care less about the gender of soldiers since I accept the game as fantasy and good kind of fantasy(low magic), tho I've been visiting game's wiki and its irritating to see every reference to protag is reading "misthios" + "kassandra", instead of simply misthios. Either female option is canon(?) or people editing the wiki are buncha butthurt sexists :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom